Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Baron von Eevl posted:

Good news, Trent also did all the sfx. Thr jump sound is him going hrugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PwG2ewoizE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Baron von Eevl posted:

What the heeeeeeeeeeeelllllllllll

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

https://youtu.be/-Sl4dA-T53I

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I somehow missed Hyperviolent went into early access (saw it on my wishlist when buying Dusk Dave's brother's Sesame Street game) I swear I looked at it not long ago and it was still the demo but it looks like it's been out for awhile. I don't know why but I really loved the demo and I'm tempted to dip my toe in.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Baron von Eevl posted:

The leaked Doom 3 alpha also uses Trent’s voice for Doomguy, and the sound pack that ripped its sounds for the retail release is vastly superior to the audio that made it into the game. Shame it didn’t work out.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

hell yea

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Yesterdays Doom 3 19th birthday prompted me to fire up the game for another play through.

Happy to confirm that you’re all wrong. Doom 3 is brilliant.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
no it sucks

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the only one wrong here was me, by constantly saying doom 3 is good

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

[guy who thinks the prequels are unfairly maligned voice] Doom 3 is good nay great.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I was hoping that Quake pigeon would make an appearance. :glomp:

My unrequested opinion on Doom 3 is that it'd be a lot better if the weapons felt better. I know and appreciate what they were going for, a dark, scary, slow horror shooter but like.... gently caress that shotgun. Civvie was right and you can't convince me otherwise. That. Thing. Sucks.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I was there when Doom3 came out. In fact, I worked at a LAN Cafe. I opened the place up while off hours and installed it on a PC there (because my PC at home didn't hold a candle to them). Turned off all the lights and booted that bitch up...

I have never beaten Doom 3. It was pretty disappointing. I mean, I had fun that night. But, you knew that ID magic was gone tbh. It was just the Carmack graphics show and the soul had left the building.

I recall saying to myself, that I'd just play loving resident evil if I wanted a more spooky game to play.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Baron von Eevl posted:

A few years ago he released an unused cut of the Fragile B-side "10 Miles High" and it sure sounds like he used that same vocal sample there too (starting around the 0:42 mark)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcipS-gRF4o&t=42s

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

I liked Doom 3 because I was pretty young when it came out and had not played Doom 1 or 2 so I had zero expectations about what kind of game it would be. It's the same reason I like similarly reviled sequel, Chrono Cross.

Also no matter how you feel about Doom 3, you have to admit that plasma rifle reload sound is the best FPS reload sound ever, followed by the cyclone in Perfect Dark.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I'll be honest, it was really impressive at the time. I've never managed to finish a replay though

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
I liked Doom 3, and defended it after it was out of vogue to do so, though some of that was it being the last AAA game for a while to get a native Linux port. This far out, it’s flawed and pretty stale, but still has some good moments.* And I quite like Resurrection of Evil. FEAR came out a year later and drubbed it in every meaningful way.

* Also accidentally hilarious stuff like Techno-Sarge bellowing WELCOME TO THE MESS HALL

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
I tried Doom 3 like a year after playing FEAR. D3 might as well not exist for me and I play through FEAR at least once a year.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

This is a fun look at just how they managed to shoehorn DOOM3 into running on the OG XBOX

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrTtNhdfqSo

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Doom 3 is fine enough for what it is(iD choosing to focus on the wrong aspects of the original Doom for 3), it just comes off as worse than it actually is because it's a 7.5 game in a franchise otherwise filled with 9 and 10 rated games

Also gave up on Serious Sam: Siberian Mayhem, wanted to like it but everything about it just feels off and awkward in ways that make it weirdly aggravating to play

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

NoneMoreNegative posted:

This is a fun look at just how they managed to shoehorn DOOM3 into running on the OG XBOX

This is how I first played it and yeah, it’s a miracle that it works at all, let alone well

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

haveblue posted:

This is how I first played it and yeah, it’s a miracle that it works at all, let alone well

Same

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

drrockso20 posted:

Doom 3 is fine enough for what it is(iD choosing to focus on the wrong aspects of the original Doom for 3), it just comes off as worse than it actually is because it's a 7.5 game in a franchise otherwise filled with 9 and 10 rated games

Also gave up on Serious Sam: Siberian Mayhem, wanted to like it but everything about it just feels off and awkward in ways that make it weirdly aggravating to play

Really. I thought it was the best parts of Sam 4 without most of the bloat. Later maps were pretty long but as a whole it didn't overstay its welcome. Sam has always felt good to me in terms of movement and combat. All the gadgets were a bit much, though. But hey, if you weren't enjoying it, that's fine. I've had that experience with that kind of thing before.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Hasturtium posted:

I liked Doom 3, and defended it after it was out of vogue to do so, though some of that was it being the last AAA game for a while to get a native Linux port. This far out, it’s flawed and pretty stale, but still has some good moments.* And I quite like Resurrection of Evil. FEAR came out a year later and drubbed it in every meaningful way.

I liked Doom 3 too, flaws and all, but FEAR doing what it did but better is actually pretty true.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I have that on my OG Xbox, it looks genuinely insane on a CRT.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Grimthwacker posted:

All the gadgets were a bit much, though.

ngl i tried to play ss4 the old fashioned way without messing with all that too much, but it really wants you to spam that time grenade as many times as you can lol

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I have such a soft spot for Doom 3 I ebayed the steelbook version of the xbox port just to have it. Lucked out, too, pretty sure the original owner never took it off the shelf.

I liked Half-Life 2 at the time but I'd much rather replay Doom 3.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I wanted a copy when I had my xbox so I could play d2 co-op

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

its really easy to get out of bounds in serious sam 4, which combined with how well they hide the secrets can make it kind of a miserable experience. there's not really a clear language of where secrets can be and where they can't be, so theres basically always a reason to try and jump on weird geometry.

theres also a lot of what look like really fun arenas which won't actually have any enemies in, then you get attacked in the fuckin corridor next to the fun arena. and the door closes behind you, because god forbid you use the level to your advantage.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

juggalo baby coffin posted:

its really easy to get out of bounds in serious sam 4, which combined with how well they hide the secrets can make it kind of a miserable experience. there's not really a clear language of where secrets can be and where they can't be, so theres basically always a reason to try and jump on weird geometry.

theres also a lot of what look like really fun arenas which won't actually have any enemies in, then you get attacked in the fuckin corridor next to the fun arena. and the door closes behind you, because god forbid you use the level to your advantage.

I went for a glory kill in d16 and fell right through the level. To be fair it was probably pretty glorious

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

juggalo baby coffin posted:

I know we've talked about it in here before, but it bears repeating that SS4's level design is really one of the strangest things I've seen in a while. Here's a massive worldspace--basically a map straight out of an ARMA game--and most of the time there's no established boundaries to the intended level "space". You can just wander off for kilometers across forests and hills.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

haveblue posted:

Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay looks better (also a better game) and was released before Doom 3 was on PC, let alone the later Xbox port. Not to say it wasn't good work, but the precedent for a first person 3D engine heavily utilizing stencil shadows and normal maps on Xbox was already set, so it's a bit much to call it impossible.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Holy poo poo, I didn't realize Butcher Bay came out prior to Doom 3. For some reason I always think it came out in the second half of the 2000's.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

NoneMoreNegative posted:

The best part was the "well when the game crashes due to running out of memory we just had it throw up a disc read error"

TheScott2K posted:

I have such a soft spot for Doom 3 I ebayed the steelbook version of the xbox port just to have it. Lucked out, too, pretty sure the original owner never took it off the shelf.

I liked Half-Life 2 at the time but I'd much rather replay Doom 3.

The best part of that collector's edition was that it came with ports of Doom 1 and 2 with exclusive levels and splitscreen multiplayer, making it the best collector's edition to ever exist

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

God original Xbox had some awesome looking games. Stranger's wrath, butcher bay, d3, PD orta, Phantom dust all looked tiiiight

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Def Jam: Fight For New York remains the greatest fighting game of all time.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Assepoester posted:

The best part was the "well when the game crashes due to running out of memory we just had it throw up a disc read error"

The best part of that collector's edition was that it came with ports of Doom 1 and 2 with exclusive levels and splitscreen multiplayer, making it the best collector's edition to ever exist

you say this but "Betray" is only technically better than wow.wad

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

Assepoester posted:

I laughed out loud at that, and then wondered how eerily rock steady the game must be on a modded Xbox Classic with a Tualatin Pentium III, 128MB RAM, and an SSD. At that point, yeah, just run the PC version, but it still struck me.

Baron von Eevl posted:

You bet your rear end it is.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Hasturtium posted:

The leaked Doom 3 alpha also uses Trent’s voice for Doomguy, and the sound pack that ripped its sounds for the retail release is vastly superior to the audio that made it into the game. Shame it didn’t work out.

It wouldn't have been a great period for Trent to do side poo poo. Right around that time is when he was getting clean and trying to record a new album called Bleedthrough that ended up not working out for whatever reason and getting abandoned.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Baron von Eevl posted:

YES

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

TOOT BOOT posted:

It wouldn't have been a great period for Trent to do side poo poo. Right around that time is when he was getting clean and trying to record a new album called Bleedthrough that ended up not working out for whatever reason and getting abandoned.

I can't remember what thread it was, but recently someone was discussing this and the clearest explanation seems to be here:

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/25348-trent-reznor-clarifies-involvement/

It sounds like they had some incredibly ambitious plans for the sound design, which honestly might have been too ambitious to ever work out in reality. But also, management apparently said No.

People were also wondering why he didn't do Quake 2, and that definitely would've been a bad time for him. Either way, it's probably safe to say he wasn't quite the workhorse he is these days.