Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Yup, I was going to hop in and try and convince people that it likely wasn't AI art (people have been witch-hunting for AI art for awhile now and tend to flag lovely art as AI generated) up until I clicked the image link and saw what was being referenced. It's absolutely a first pass generation that you immediately recognize if you've seen enough Stable Diffusion generations. The real crime is that he didn't do any work on it afterwards to tidy it up. Lots of artists are incorporating these tools into their workflow now, but no one is noticing because they are doing more work on it to make things look better. The guy appears to be a real artist who has made things for other books, so this looks more like laziness on his part rather than WotC hiring some dumb untested tech-bro.

As for how this slipped past the art director, or how the newest Werewolf book ended up with potentially 100 unsolicited photos of real people that can't be changed before Gencon release, it's because art is usually the last thing to be received and there's rarely time to review it closely. James Jacobs at Paizo, back in the early 2010's once talked about this, and how their buttes were always puckering when they tried out a new artist, because even when stuff was turned in by deadline, it was still way too close to production day for there to be any room for error. If a new freelancer just flaked out, they basically had no back-up and if some artist turned in something really rancid they might have days to get it fixed before they needed to get everything turned over for publication. Apparently artists were also the most common thing to flake out on them vs. people turning in copy, so it was a constant issue at least back then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Yup, I was going to hop in and try and convince people that it likely wasn't AI art (people have been witch-hunting for AI art for awhile now and tend to flag lovely art as AI generated) up until I clicked the image link and saw what was being referenced. It's absolutely a first pass generation that you immediately recognize if you've seen enough Stable Diffusion generations. The real crime is that he didn't do any work on it afterwards to tidy it up. Lots of artists are incorporating these tools into their workflow now, but no one is noticing because they are doing more work on it to make things look better. The guy appears to be a real artist who has made things for other books, so this looks more like laziness on his part rather than WotC hiring some dumb untested tech-bro.

As for how this slipped past the art director, or how the newest Werewolf book ended up with potentially 100 unsolicited photos of real people that can't be changed before Gencon release, it's because art is usually the last thing to be received and there's rarely time to review it closely. James Jacobs at Paizo, back in the early 2010's once talked about this, and how their buttes were always puckering when they tried out a new artist, because even when stuff was turned in by deadline, it was still way too close to production day for there to be any room for error. If a new freelancer just flaked out, they basically had no back-up and if some artist turned in something really rancid they might have days to get it fixed before they needed to get everything turned over for publication. Apparently artists were also the most common thing to flake out on them vs. people turning in copy, so it was a constant issue at least back then.

Haha it keeps happening, someone with a legit art background gets accused of doing AI art and people come in here to be like "it's a witch hunt they can't possibly be using AI because in the past they did art manually, how dare you even think such a thing."

But then when you track down the artist you find out that they are all like "yeah I loving love AI art, I'm doing nothing but AI art, it's so great doing AI art and getting paid for little effort, also I teach a class on how to make AI art and spoke at an AI art conference"

It keeps happening and at least you backed off after seeing how dogshit it is. But like, it keeps happening. Are you eventually going to realize it can happen and stop crying "witchhunt" every time? This is the third time I've seen this specific thing happen in a short time and I don't even spend any amount of time looking for it.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

BattleMaster posted:

Haha it keeps happening, someone with a legit art background gets accused of doing AI art and people come in here to be like "it's a witch hunt they can't possibly be using AI because in the past they did art manually, how dare you even think such a thing."

But then when you track down the artist you find out that they are all like "yeah I loving love AI art, I'm doing nothing but AI art, it's so great doing AI art and getting paid for little effort, also I teach a class on how to make AI art and spoke at an AI art conference"

It keeps happening and at least you backed off after seeing how dogshit it is. But like, it keeps happening. Are you eventually going to realize it can happen and stop crying "witchhunt" every time? This is the third time I've seen this specific thing happen in a short time and I don't even spend any amount of time looking for it.

...who was crying "Witchhunt"? One person said they didn't know what defined this as AI art.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Lamuella posted:

...who was crying "Witchhunt"? One person said they didn't know what defined this as AI art.

The person I was quoting said they were reflexively going to call it a witch-hunt until they saw how dogshit it was. The fact that it keeps happening but people leap in ready to fight over it is just odd to me. Though I guess in the past it was more than one person and instead of backing off they were ready to fight to the death over it so maybe people are starting to realize that yes, this is a thing people are doing.

edit: Mainly I'm just amazed that people seem so primed to leap in to defend this kind of thing when it just keeps on happening. And it's going to keep on happening and it's going to get worse from here. But at least for now the types who are using it tend to be pretty open about using it because they really do think they're getting in on the next big thing and don't want to miss out, I guess

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Aug 5, 2023

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

BattleMaster posted:

The person I was quoting said they were reflexively going to call it a witch-hunt until they saw how dogshit it was. The fact that it keeps happening but people leap in ready to fight over it is just odd to me. Though I guess in the past it was more than one person and instead of backing off they were ready to fight to the death over it so maybe people are starting to realize that yes, this is a thing people are doing.

edit: Mainly I'm just amazed that people seem so primed to leap in to defend this kind of thing when it just keeps on happening. And it's going to keep on happening and it's going to get worse from here. But at least for now the types who are using it tend to be pretty open about using it because they really do think they're getting in on the next big thing and don't want to miss out, I guess

what they're defending is real artists getting attacked because people think their actual art is ai-generated, which is becoming more common. you're getting totally mixed up here

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I don't know if this AI scandal will have the legs of the other WotC scandals lately, especially since it is getting harder and harder to detect AI art. It seems unlikely normies will engage in some sort of "Boulder Pledge"-esque buying restrictions where they only support corps that have explicit anti-AI policies.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

This is going to get memory holed along with the rapist, Pinkertons, and everything else WotC's done that would make nerds rethink their choices.

JMBosch
May 28, 2006

You're dead.
That's your greatest weapon.
Artist's thread confirming they used AI to... apparently finish sketches for them?

https://twitter.com/i_shkipin/status/1687690944899092480
Even if you're a legit artist interested in what AI tools could do to cut corners and save time, why would you do this for a contract where your art would be so widely distributed as a WotC book? Such a weird decision.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

JMBosch posted:

Even if you're a legit artist interested in what AI tools could do to cut corners and save time, why would you do this for a contract where your art would be so widely distributed as a WotC book? Such a weird decision.

I assume it's a combination of two things.

1) Using AI for all the weird greebles lets him speed up his workflow, which means he can agree to produce more pieces but if a piece turns out badly he wouldn't have the time to fix it.

2) He probably just has bad taste and thinks these pieces look good.

It's annoying, because I hate how AI art fits into the economy but the best artistic use for is probably just using it during rough drafts to get an idea how something would look and then working from there. Doing stuff like this is just ugly.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Fitting endpoint for the generic art style that D&D adores

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

I don’t have a ton of sympathy for this guy but it is easy to imagine that as a small time freelance artist, saving a couple of hours on a piece is a big deal.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
The dude’s original sketches look way better than what he turned in hahaha.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Lurks With Wolves posted:

2) He probably just has bad taste and thinks these pieces look good.

Yep. He WANTS the wonky bits that AI generates.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
AI art would be good for, specifically, a rakshasa glamoured as a human.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Anonymous Zebra posted:

rather than WotC hiring some dumb untested tech-bro.

Given that he also shills for NFTs, no, I think it is just this.

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
Based on info posted earlier, it seems like they were a tested artist (previous WotC credits for traditional work) that has moved over to being a dumb techbro.

Whether the AI shift was of the artist's initiative or encouraged by WotC is still unclear.

Edit: Actually, the artist seems to be enthusiasticly pro-AI, so the open question is more did WotC go back to this artist specifically because they use AI, slipped through because of lax art QC, or because this artist offered lower prices based on AI use.

PharmerBoy fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Aug 5, 2023

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

JMBosch posted:

Artist's thread confirming they used AI to... apparently finish sketches for them?

https://twitter.com/i_shkipin/status/1687690944899092480

This makes sense, because turning sketches and line drawings into illustrations is one of the Stable Diffusion superpowers, it's like One Weird Trick. Having a base to work from can lock in the load-bearing elements of the piece like the beams of a building, so you can keep the important parts consistent while you work on getting the output you want.

One of my players sketches and doodles in ink pen during our sessions, and is firmly in the talented amateur, "been doing this since he was 8 but never took an art course or seriously practiced" tier, where he can do landscapes and objects and structures in a nice clean style, and can't draw a person or an animal to save his life. We were curious what SD would make of his style, so I used it as one of my early "learn to Stablely Diffuse" projects. As a near-complete novice, I was able to take a minimalist ink sketch of a landscape in a competent amateur's style and turn it into something that would have fit in a published hardcover in about two hours, much of which was spent figuring out one specific tool's quirks. I could probably do it faster now, but if I'd been doing it for public consumption I would have loaded it into Krita with the Stable Diffusion plugin and gone over the whole thing carefully, tweaking bits as I found them. That would probably double the time if I was doing it seriously in the way you should if you're getting paid for it.

This explains everything about that piece, honestly. He did a sketch, threw it into ControlNet for OpenPose and probably Canny or something along those lines, prompted it, and ran it through something like a-Zovya RPG Tools checkpoint. The ControlNet modules got confused about things in the interior volume of the sketches in a way it very often does, and the artist didn't bother to correct it.

JMBosch posted:

This. On the one hand, yeah, I get that the tweaks and fine details take the longest by far using this workflow, and sometimes it can get very frustrating - I spent multiple days on a single hand, because if there's one thing both human artists and Stable Diffusion checkpoints hate, it's hands at weird angles - but doing the finicky frustrating thing is what he's being paid for.

It's infuriating, because pre-existing art training is one of the most powerful things you can bring to the table if you're using Stable Diffusion with all the bells and whistles enabled instead of just typing a prompt and hoping for the best. Not only can you do the "create and lock in the load-bearing elements" thing, you (hopefully) have a trained eye for perspective and anatomy and light and color, knowledge of art history and styles and specific artists, etc., and you can use them in a directorial way to tell SD what you want. It won't necessarily obey you, and fixing the 10-20% it gets wrong is 90% of your work, but it gets you way, way closer to what you want. This person clearly has some traditional art chops, and it's frustrating to see them leaving in mistakes like these when they surely noticed them.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Maybe you should have spent those multiple days learning how to draw a hand yourself instead of trying to get a computer to turn stick figures into lovely blobs

Also please take your effort posts about how cool ai art is to the ai art thread because it's exhausting.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 5, 2023

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

PharmerBoy posted:

Based on info posted earlier, it seems like they were a tested artist (previous WotC credits for traditional work) that has moved over to being a dumb techbro.

Whether the AI shift was of the artist's initiative or encouraged by WotC is still unclear.

Edit: Actually, the artist seems to be enthusiasticly pro-AI, so the open question is more did WotC go back to this artist specifically because they use AI, slipped through because of lax art QC, or because this artist offered lower prices based on AI use.

They hired the artist, the artist did a dumb AI thing, and either nobody noticed or it was so close to when the printing needed to start to hit their release date that they just said "we don't have time to redo it."

I strongly doubt this was a trial balloon to see what response would be. WotC saved no money with AI in this case, because they paid the artist who produced the (not very good) AI "enhanced" art. And the sort of executive who wants to switch to AI as a cost-saving measure isn't going to slyly slip some AI art into a book to see how consumers respond, because that sort of person doesn't care about the response ahead of time and won't care after unless forced.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
https://icv2.com/articles/markets/view/54781/games-workshop-slims-down-channel-battletech-bulks-up-d-d-declines

Uh oh! Looks like GW's going to have some Grumpy Shareholders!

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited
The base art might not even have been Ilya's sketch to begin with.

Narsham posted:

I strongly doubt this was a trial balloon to see what response would be. WotC saved no money with AI in this case, because they paid the artist who produced the (not very good) AI "enhanced" art. And the sort of executive who wants to switch to AI as a cost-saving measure isn't going to slyly slip some AI art into a book to see how consumers respond, because that sort of person doesn't care about the response ahead of time and won't care after unless forced.

If the above is true, it very much was a "let's see if we can get a sketch from one artist who does most of the creative design work and have someone else finish it up cheap", at the very minimum.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Bottom Liner posted:

Maybe you should have spent those multiple days learning how to draw a hand yourself instead of trying to get a computer to turn stick figures into lovely blobs

Also please take your effort posts about how cool ai art is to the ai art thread because it's exhausting.

I have tried that for almost fifty years now, and still can't. The computer does far better at interpreting what I'm asking it to do than my hands do.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Bottom Liner posted:

But then I wouldn't have those days of learning and practice to get better at a toolset I'm actually going to use!

Being able to draw great hands would be a lovely skill, but considering how many actual trained artists will give you deep sighs of resignation when you bring up the subject of drawing hands, that doesn't sound like a good use of my time. That said, if you can learn to draw consistent hands at weird angles in two or three days, you should pick up art as a sideline, because you've clearly got a natural talent for it :)

Cassius Belli posted:

If the above is true, it very much was a "let's see if we can get a sketch from one artist who does most of the creative design work and have someone else finish it up cheap", at the very minimum.

This would go some ways toward explaining the, uh, let's call it laissez-faire attitude toward the finished product that's on display here.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Nice to learn more about how this works at the very least.

https://twitter.com/April_Prime/status/1687746770191994880

Nothing makes me think WotC was intentionally cheaping out and just shifting to AI.

Just normal WotC, incredibly incompetent management, quality control/oversight.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

You'd think someone would notice the concept art is more polished than the "final" AI images. Or the similarities between those dinosaurs. Even if they gave you this as a guide I doubt they said "yeah just copy the poo poo out of it."

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Doesn’t this also mean the images themselves might not be copyrightable? I’m not up to speed on what the latest around this is (maybe the sketches having been hand-drawn overwrites that, maybe not?), but it seems like really a bad business move for WotC if third parties can now just take those pictures and use three in their own works.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I can't imagine some lovely AI art in a monster manual would change the sales any significant amount.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I can't imagine some lovely AI art in a monster manual would change the sales any significant amount.

Unfortunately that's probably true. The sort of people for whom this would be a disqualifying act have already been turned off from WotC for other disqualifying acts.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
Is taking concept art from someone and shipping it off to someone else to finish new for WoTC?

I'm not sure what standard practice is here, I know industry is full of lovely people and has been chasing lower cost art for a while, freelancers over staff artists, opening up freelancing globally and what not.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Reveilled posted:

Doesn’t this also mean the images themselves might not be copyrightable? I’m not up to speed on what the latest around this is (maybe the sketches having been hand-drawn overwrites that, maybe not?), but it seems like really a bad business move for WotC if third parties can now just take those pictures and use three in their own works.

AI-generated content is currently a legal gray area that exposes companies to large risks if they get caught using it, particularly in public works, yes. I would expect various problems to wind their way through courts over the next several years, the main issue being that there isn't a judge alive who understands how any of this poo poo works.

The other issue with this current WotC fiasco is that a company that should have a paid group of in-house artists is instead paying freelancers peanuts for bad art. Welcome to the world of tabletop game publishing!

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Name Change posted:

The other issue with this current WotC fiasco is that a company that should have a paid group of in-house artists is instead paying freelancers peanuts for bad art. Welcome to the world of tabletop game publishing!

You mean game publishing. Your fave AAA game probably outsources its art, with concept art generated in-house.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

fatherboxx posted:

Fitting endpoint for the generic art style that D&D adores

Yeah, I probably would have missed a lot of AI art simply because the WotC house style is so unpleasant, why would I look into it in detail? Not that I've looked at new WotC stuff since several years ago.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Narsham posted:

They hired the artist, the artist did a dumb AI thing, and either nobody noticed or it was so close to when the printing needed to start to hit their release date that they just said "we don't have time to redo it."

It will be the latter thing, WOTC are fuckups as ever. Also, lmao at AI art getting better, it really ain't, they're just putting a little more effort into hiding.

Nthing AI threaders go home.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Please don't leave.

I actually like reading explanations about how that poo poo works. Despite not generally liking or caring about the output.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

AI art does abstract/intentionally disturbing "well" because it sucks at fine detail. It's difficult for it to reproduce correct-looking eyes, fingers, or angles, because it's just guessing what you want to see based on scraped sets. It can't scrape a consistently large amount of reference material, so it often struggles to do anything but create generic portrait poses. A depiction of motion or specific action? It all falls apart quickly.

The AI barbarian posted in this thread looks like three different figures glued together, and not seamlessly. The proportions are completely wrong. There are several free-floating objects. Is she wearing a crown, or is that the back of her space marine armor (yes and yes). The axe, resting on nothing, has a :shepface: edge. The wolves look like they are from two different artists, and the one on the right is in the process of being raptured. And so on.

Art in a lot of D&D books basically serves as clipart of a sort to break up monotonous reams of text, so it's no small wonder that this passed a (mostly non-existent) editorial phase.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Dexo posted:

Please don't leave.

I actually like reading explanations about how that poo poo works. Despite not generally liking or caring about the output.
It's almost like they have and entire thread for that and we don't want or need it outside of there

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

It's almost like they have and entire thread for that and we don't want or need it outside of there

That's cool? I stated my opinion like you stated yours.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Bottom Liner posted:

I'm so loving sick of the ai defense squad showing up every single time it gets mentioned anywhere

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

the thread was for quarantining outputs. trying to shout someone down over discussing how it works, in the context of discussing how to identify AI art that Wizards is putting into a book is really silly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I have tried that for almost fifty years now, and still can't. The computer does far better at interpreting what I'm asking it to do than my hands do.

You are undervaluing your own ability and overvaluing ai output.