Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
drat I missed a whole DLC release for Placid Plastic Duck Simulator. I'm really out of touch with gaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

Why is he wearing a blindfold?

To add on to what other people have said, it's also a general blind culture thing to wear blindfolds while playing blind sports (because there are many different types of blindness and blindfolds level the field).

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

fez_machine posted:

To add on to what other people have said, it's also a general blind culture thing to wear blindfolds while playing blind sports (because there are many different types of blindness and blindfolds level the field).

Only 10-15% of legally blind people have no light perception whatsoever!

What's fun is when you have to carry a cane but people notice you look at your phone or whatever and will say out loud 'hey you can see'

Yeah and you can think but I guess neither of us is doing very well are we

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I have all five senses and I am going to continue to use them to make the worst decisions possible, including, but not limited to, writing this post.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
OK I'm a complete dumbass. If I'm using an Xbox Series X controller connected to my PC, what's the easiest way to make it so that when I press the share button, it makes Steam take a screenshot of whatever I'm playing?

Netrunner
Aug 31, 2019

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

OK I'm a complete dumbass. If I'm using an Xbox Series X controller connected to my PC, what's the easiest way to make it so that when I press the share button, it makes Steam take a screenshot of whatever I'm playing?

In the Steam controller settings, install the Xbox Extended Feature Support Driver, and you should be able to remap the Share button after that.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

HopperUK posted:

Only 10-15% of legally blind people have no light perception whatsoever!

What's fun is when you have to carry a cane but people notice you look at your phone or whatever and will say out loud 'hey you can see'

Yeah and you can think but I guess neither of us is doing very well are we

lmfao

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Do any folks know if either:

1) the 8bitdo Ultimate bt controller works with iPhone/iPad/AppleTV, or

2) the 8bitdo Pro2 bt has Hall Effect sensors?

I plan on using either controller with my Apple stuff + Win11 PC, but neither Amazon page or reviews answer these specific requests. I could probably Google it, but my first thought was “someone here is in the same situation already.”

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
New Jackbox bundle: https://www.humblebundle.com/games/jackbox-jukebox-playing-odds

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

DerekSmartymans posted:

Do any folks know if either:

1) the 8bitdo Ultimate bt controller works with iPhone/iPad/AppleTV, or

2) the 8bitdo Pro2 bt has Hall Effect sensors?

I plan on using either controller with my Apple stuff + Win11 PC, but neither Amazon page or reviews answer these specific requests. I could probably Google it, but my first thought was “someone here is in the same situation already.”

1) https://www.8bitdo.com/apple/ Looks like it does in D-input mode?

2) Nope, only the ultimate.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Unreal_One posted:

1) https://www.8bitdo.com/apple/ Looks like it does in D-input mode?

2) Nope, only the ultimate.

Great, thanks.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
It's also annoyingly only one of the 8bitdo ultimate s that has hall sensors.

I think it's the 2.4ghz + Bluetooth? It's the $70 one and you can't get the fun colors

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Might not matter to most people, but worth noting that the Hall stick Ultimate uses the Nintendo face button arrangement

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I'm annoyed that only the ultimate has Hall sticks because I don't like the xbox stick arrangement >:T

Really hope they do a Pro 3 that has 'em at some point.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
the 8bitdo pro2 does the same thing but (at least on the pc) it's only visual. I still press the topmost button for y-button prompts in games with xbox inputs or triangle prompts in games with ps3 inputs

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

the 8bitdo pro2 does the same thing but (at least on the pc) it's only visual. I still press the topmost button for y-button prompts in games with xbox inputs or triangle prompts in games with ps3 inputs

Are all of the buttons remappable? I got a Turtle Beach Recon controller recently, and very annoyingly it has a number of buttons Windows and Steam don't detect.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Yeah// it's Xinput compatible, so it's only the buttons are labeled backwards. They still work as expected.

It's a great controller. I use it for everything now.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
yeah they're all remappable
the two back paddles are too!
it has a button to switch between three different saved button map presets (doesn't require any software running, I think it just saves to the controller) and I just use it to swap what the two back paddles do while leaving everything else the same.

I like to use the paddles for buttons you need to hold a lot, so I have one for the B button in souls games since it's hold-B-to-sprint and I swap it to A in buttons where you hold that to run instead.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer

Mr E posted:

Been playing the System Shock remake after never being able to get into the original even with the remaster and this might be one of my favorite shooters/immersive sim maybe type games in years. Think I'm heading into the last portion of the game (just got the objective to go blow up antennae) and will definitely be putting this on my list of games I replay every year or two.

I finished it earlier this week, look up where the grenade launcher is if you don't already have it. I think there's only 1 in the game and it's well hidden.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Koburn posted:

I finished it earlier this week, look up where the grenade launcher is if you don't already have it. I think there's only 1 in the game and it's well hidden.

I ended up doing this when I was about to cross the threshold on a lategame point-of-no-return and realized I still didn't have the grenade launcher; couldn't believe how early I could have gotten it and, as a result, I basically didn't use it for the entire game.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Edmond Dantes posted:

Man, this is the coolest poo poo. Blind SF6 player at EVO.

Videogames... good?

From a couple years ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6IjmmFcoWw

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mr E posted:

Been playing the System Shock remake after never being able to get into the original even with the remaster and this might be one of my favorite shooters/immersive sim maybe type games in years. Think I'm heading into the last portion of the game (just got the objective to go blow up antennae) and will definitely be putting this on my list of games I replay every year or two.

Yeah it's just incredibly good.

Fair warning, the final boss section is apparently extremely lame, just so you are prepared.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

yeah they're all remappable
the two back paddles are too!
it has a button to switch between three different saved button map presets (doesn't require any software running, I think it just saves to the controller) and I just use it to swap what the two back paddles do while leaving everything else the same.

I like to use the paddles for buttons you need to hold a lot, so I have one for the B button in souls games since it's hold-B-to-sprint and I swap it to A in buttons where you hold that to run instead.

Follow up question, does the screenshot button work in Windows outside Steam (and inside too, I guess)?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Rinkles posted:

Follow up question, does the screenshot button work in Windows outside Steam (and inside too, I guess)?
If you add a program as a non-Steam game to Steam and run it through Steam, both Steam Input and the Steam overlay (as well as Steam hotkeys like the screenshot key) will work with programs that aren't Steam games, but not if you're not running the program through Steam. However, Windows has equivalent functionality through the Game Bar that you could use, or you could use something like Irfanview, and map the screenshot button to the same button as the Steam screenshot key.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Commander Keene posted:

If you add a program as a non-Steam game to Steam and run it through Steam, both Steam Input and the Steam overlay (as well as Steam hotkeys like the screenshot key) will work with programs that aren't Steam games, but not if you're not running the program through Steam. However, Windows has equivalent functionality through the Game Bar that you could use, or you could use something like Irfanview, and map the screenshot button to the same button as the Steam screenshot key.

I meant specifically the 8Bitdo Ultimate (cause I just bought a controller with a share button that both Steam and Windows simply won't acknowledge, so there's nothing to map).

And more generally, adding a game to Steam isn't always a solution, because some games refuse to do so. Like most Game Pass games in my experience (there's convoluted ways around this, like GlosSi, but that's a hassle).

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

So then you'd probably have to find the Microsoft Game Bar screenshot hotkey and remap it to the same key as the Steam screenshot hotkey - by default f12 IIRC - and make sure the controller's guide button is mapped to the same key in your Desktop layout in Steam. Or you could get a third-party program like Irfanview that can take window screenshots and try to do the same thing, and then make sure you have it running whenever you play a non-Steam game.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Sure, but like I said, the button isn’t recognized, so there’s no way to map anything to it.

I’m just trying to make sure that’s not the case with the Ultimate.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Oh, sorry, I thought you were saying you already had a controller with the guide button mapped to screenshot in Steam and were trying to figure out how to do it outside of Steam. The Ultimate should be able to do that as long as you untick the "Guide button focuses Steam" option (IIRC) in your Steam controller settings.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Koburn posted:

Kinda surprised I missed that, I thought I thoroughly explored everything in that area. Oh well, I've found the minipistol incredibly useful until the SMG I just found recently, along with the magnum, shotgun, and assault rifle. Keep the railgun around too for the stronger enemies, bosses seem to go down best with a berserk patch and laser rapier.

sebmojo posted:

Yeah it's just incredibly good.

Fair warning, the final boss section is apparently extremely lame, just so you are prepared.

I know what the SHODAN fight is in the original so I'm expecting something like that which sucks because while the cyberspace is... fine, it's not at all my favorite part. It's like Descent but I didn't feel like I could dodge very well til I got the sprint program pretty recently and I hate the primary attack even though it looks cool.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Yeah the final section in the System Shock Remake was the game's lowest point for me. It's not even hard (for reasons that will become obvious when you do it), it's just so very, very bland.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
e: wrong thread

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Just beat System Shock and yeah that last fight sucked. Rest of the game was great tho.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Rinkles posted:

I have the 8bitdo pro 2 which doesn't have a screenshot button. And I wasn't aware the ultimate had one either. That seems like kind of a weird feature???
Mine does have a "guide" button which works fine outside of steam and opens up the windows game bar, same as if I press the button on an xbox controller. And a turbo button that also works fine.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I have the 8bitdo pro 2 which doesn't have a screenshot button. And I wasn't aware the ultimate had one either. That seems like kind of a weird feature???
Mine does have a "guide" button which works fine outside of steam and opens up the windows game bar, same as if I press the button on an xbox controller. And a turbo button that also works fine.

ah, sorry, my mistake. To me a dedicated capture button is tremendously useful, but I take a stupid amount of screenshots.

and it seems only the Xbox version of the Ultimate has a Share button (because it needs button parity with the official xbox gamepad).

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

The pro 2 has the star button which defaults to turbo on windows but capture on Switch. It doesn't look like it can be mapped to screenshot directly in d- or x- input mode, but you might could set up a macro?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

ya know I think I'd love a steering wheel for gaming if it was about the radius of a tennis ball instead of frisbee sized, and had normal rear end features and not a mcdonalds toy

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Upsidads posted:

ya know I think I'd love a steering wheel for gaming if it was about the radius of a tennis ball instead of frisbee sized, and had normal rear end features and not a mcdonalds toy
I remember there being a proliferation of mini wheel controllers back in the PS1 to PS2 era.

Most of them were bad (that Ultraracer had what, a 30 degree turning radius?), I had one similar to those RC car gun-style controllers with a decent turning radius and two pedal-style triggers (instead of a single trigger) so you could map one to gas and one to brake/reverse. I actually used it for a long time with my PC via a Playstation to USB converter and played a whole bunch of old racing games that way, it was great since I didn't really have space for a wheel back then and the standard gamepads didn't have decent triggers until the PS360.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Aug 6, 2023

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
supposedly that namco controller owns, ive never used one though

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Countblanc posted:

supposedly that namco controller owns, ive never used one though
The gimmicky namco controllers were probably really good with the specific Ridge Racer games they were made for but I don't think they were widely supported like the racing controllers that just mimicked a regular dualshock and they probably don't work on a PC with a converter either. I was just using them as an example of how everyone was experimenting with "how do we make small, roughly tennis ball sized racing wheel controllers" back in that era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Feeling major whiplash launching the Payday 3 beta and thinking wow that loaded super fast, impressive, then seeing I need to register an extra account just to play. Ughhhhhh.