Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Anyone else watch so many goddamn horror movies that other than a few specific ones after several years you can go back and watch something you've watched before and its like a brand new experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Watch pee wee

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Hollismason posted:

Anyone else watch so many goddamn horror movies that other than a few specific ones after several years you can go back and watch something you've watched before and its like a brand new experience.

I don't think I've seen as many as most people in this thread but yea I feel that.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I like the first F13 movie just fine, but it’s at most like the 4th best one in the franchise.

The Purge is a franchise where the first is probably the weakest (haven’t seen the most recent one though)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
No one said anything so I'm watching Jason X

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Hell yeah

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Hollismason posted:

Or having seen so many, you see a title of one and genuinely can't remember if you've watched it or not.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Or having seen so many, you see a title of one and genuinely can't remember if you've watched it or not.

Oh yeah that sucks. You'll find something and be like "Oh hell yeah I've never seen this" then 15 minutes later "drat it I watched this"

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Oh yeah that sucks. You'll find something and be like "Oh hell yeah I've never seen this" then 15 minutes later "drat it I watched this"

This is why I've seen the opening section of Incident in a Ghostland five times.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

That especially happens with netflix/amazon c-list stuff. I'll get halfway in and be like "oh yeah"

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Happened with me the other night watching Don't Be Afraid of the Dark

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It's like one of my major horror movie pet peeves. Like the other day I was like 'Oh you know what I'll watch Popcorn" and then 5 minutes in I was like "Goddamn it I've seen this "

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

What kills me is thinking I’ve seen a movie, but I actually watched a completely different movie that had a similar name/ad campaign/vhs box art from when video stores existed.

Especially because I’m a dumb weirdo so a lot of stuff isn’t actually that similar.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Baron von Eevl posted:

F13 is where my mind goes when I think of an original movie in a franchise that is disproportionately lovely compared to it's cultural awareness.

F13 is a pretty lame slasher.

F13 my be the only movie greatly improved by Me Too. Pamela Vorhees isn't the villain, it's the patriarchy. It's the horror of being a woman in the early 80's.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
One of the main reasons I use Letterboxd is because I often can’t remember if I’ve seen something or what I thought of it, it’s nice being able to quickly check that

Hollismason posted:

It's like one of my major horror movie pet peeves. Like the other day I was like 'Oh you know what I'll watch Popcorn" and then 5 minutes in I was like "Goddamn it I've seen this "

yeah but at least Popcorn rules

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The Purge is a series that is often mentioned as something that didn't really find it's footing until the sequels. Nobody really cares about the first film.

There are plenty of franchises where a particular sequel is considered on par with the original but that's different than saying the original was objectively bad/mediocre. Like there are plenty of people that prefer Aliens to Alien or Hellbound to Hellraiser but most still respect the originals as great films.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I actually prefer Aliens to Alien. However when I was in college many moons ago I got high as balls and wrote a entire 5 page paper on how Alien is all about the fear of rape and I turned it in. I think I got a good grade. Can't remember.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

MacheteZombie posted:

Happened with me the other night watching Don't Be Afraid of the Dark

That was the exact example that happened to me, too.

Also when it comes to horror comedy stuff, despite the poor effects I quite liked R.I.P.D. The villain's reveal had a pretty cool moment where they corner him finally realising it's him, and he just removes the crucifix that's been stopping the rot from being noticeable and the whole house just collapses and cracks in two from the decay where it was previously immaculate. Also the whole idea of "A ghost who refuses to move on ends up with their soul rotting because it's not supposed to be here" was a neat reason for them being evil, and gave some interesting visual cues for finding them with seeking out anything that's broken or mouldy. I also liked that Jeff Bridges' character hadn't become completely jaded, he actually still had a good amount of curiosity, like when he first brings up that indian food happens to trigger the undead for some reason and correctly guesses that it's because of the cumin (as later on when he's fully outed, the villain triggers his own transformation by snorting a handful of cumin). It's also another movie where Kevin Bacon was having fun.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Alien vs Aliens is basically just a personality thing. It’s in a relatively unique position where both movies are classics, but the second added elements of another genre until it had its own identity. Most people’s rankings are really just which one happens to be their preferred sub-genre. You like slashers? More likely to like Alien. Action? Aliens.

The Evil Dead films have a similar effect.

Now if you buy that, we can set aside trying to rank those and get to the much more interesting question : Alien3 or Alien : Resurrection?

I think I would have said 3 up until a couple weeks ago but I just did a rewatch and it’s Resurrection by a mile. Charles Dance is lovely as always, but he’s not actually in it for very long. And Resurrection has some dumb poo poo in it, but it has stuff in it at least.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Alien vs Aliens is basically just a personality thing. It’s in a relatively unique position where both movies are classics, but the second added elements of another genre until it had its own identity. Most people’s rankings are really just which one happens to be their preferred sub-genre. You like slashers? More likely to like Alien. Action? Aliens.

The Evil Dead films have a similar effect.

Now if you buy that, we can set aside trying to rank those and get to the much more interesting question : Alien3 or Alien : Resurrection?

I think I would have said 3 up until a couple weeks ago but I just did a rewatch and it’s Resurrection by a mile. Charles Dance is lovely as always, but he’s not actually in it for very long. And Resurrection has some dumb poo poo in it, but it has stuff in it at least.

Which Alien 3 though? Regular or Assembly Cut because if I have a choice I'd prefer Alien 3 Assembly Cut over Alien Ressurrection.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Alien and Aliens are different enough that it's tough to compare them, very different from F13 rankings

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I've tried to like Alien 3 every which way, multiple rewatches of both versions and I still prefer Resurrection mostly just because of the Jeunet factor. I love that guy.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

gey muckle mowser posted:

One of the main reasons I use Letterboxd is because I often can’t remember if I’ve seen something or what I thought of it, it’s nice being able to quickly check that

Yeah, but now instead of "oh, wait, I already saw this," I'll see something about a movie, nothing about the plot synopsis or trailer seems familiar, but then find it on my Letterboxd anyway. Am I watching movies in a fugue state?

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
yeah I liked resurrection more because it's very clearly made in jeunet's style

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Alien 3 is great
I don’t hate resurrection. The script sucks though

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Resurrection has Brad Douriff so it gets a bonus 10 points

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Remember the dude with his wheelchair of guns?

And it’s got Ron Perlman.

It does dumb poo poo but it has ideas, it’s trying things.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The cast is king

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3772255/final-destination-6-upcoming-sequel-gets-an-intriguing-new-tease-from-franchise-creator/

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
im really good at remembering stuff i watch. i think i gain this ability growing up seeing my mother rent the movie Hitch with like four times and reminding her each time that she has seen this before and didn't like it previously.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
My late father in law was a film guy, MFA in film, made several documentaries with grant funding and edited several others for a friend that have some notability. Guy was also a big scifi/fantasy/space opera nut. Anyway he really lived alien resurrection for the vibes and style and atmosphere even if he readily acknowledged it was kinda lousy otherwise.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The Newborn is cool as hell too, I'll die on that hill

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
That thing grossed me out bigtime but then it got Byford Dolphined so it was like double gross

E: I think like a solid half of what I love about Alien is the 70s But The Future aesthetic.

Phy fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Aug 5, 2023

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
Thanks for all the reading recommendations! I'll get my students to make some creepy book covers and post them.

drhermes
Oct 2, 2021

by vyelkin
I get the same effect by being so drat old. I watch I movie I saw in 1978 and I've forgotten so much of it that it's like a new movie. What's weird is now I like stuff I used to hate and the reverse.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Alien Resurrection is such a digustingly hot wet movie. the physical effects are hosed-looking as well - the chestburster through Ren's head and Distefano getting his head crushed by the newborn are both brutal.

also it's got Brad Douriff going HUGE in a few monologues! definitely a lot of redeeming qualities, but that's true of all the lesser alien movies really.

alf_pogs fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Aug 5, 2023

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yeah, if I have to watch either 3 or Resurrection, it's Resurrection easy. It's a bit of a mess, but at least it's definitely ambitious. Plus letting Brad Dourif go Full Brad Dourif puts it up a full letter grade.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't really dislike Resurrection at all. Its bad but its fun bad. Good cast, wild ideas, brain off vibe. It doesn't feel like the other Alien films which I think its probably what people have most against it, but 3 bores and pisses me off so I rather at least have some dumb fun.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

The entire reason I started a Letterboxd account was to specifically track my horror watches so I didn't get tangled in on myself especially since I saw so many in such a short amount of time. Now it's fun because I get to decide what counts as horror (with one exception, a non-horror film I reviewed because I just kinda hated it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
I watched Thirst last night, and it was a wild ride. I've seen a few Park Chan-wook films and always enjoyed them, but this one had more of a bizarre sense of humor than the others from what I recall. I also had forgotten it stars my main man Song Kang-ho, who kills it as always. And I'd never seen Kim Ok-vin in anything before, but her deranged energy complimented him perfectly.