Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Vintersorg posted:

Do you know how many people are blown away something like UBlock Origin exists?

Ublock origin has had more value in my life than probably almost anything else, even some other people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I've got a really weird edge case and I could use a hand figuring out the best way to do what we want. I snagged that $129 SE First gen w/ cellular deal last week, and I want to set it up as its own phone number, not shared with an iPhone. I realize that this will have extremely limited functionality but all that I want is the ability to do location tracking with family and make / receive calls and texts directly from a watch. This is worth the $10/mo cost for a watch line for me.

I'm going to have to make a new iCloud account for a fake person who doesn't exist and set it up as a "Family Share" account, right? Any other way to do this? Do I have to make the new fake person a child, or can I say it's an adult?

Apple's family sharing info:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211768

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
How do the LTE versions work in regards to mobile connections? Does the LTE radio shut down if your iPhone is in Bluetooth range?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I recently started exercising (blah) and I've noticed that when I run on the treadmill, my Apple Watch is very inaccurate regarding distance traveled (assuming the treadmill's distance indicator is correct because why wouldn't it be). This isn't super surprising because it's probably measuring it based on my stride which seems like an error-prone way to measure it but I guess it's the best they got.

So - 2 questions -

1) Is there any way to train it to better calculate this? Like, if I go into the app after I've logged an exercise and manually change the distance to the correct number, does the watch take this information and use it to improve its algorithm? Or this basically an "it is what it is" situation?

2) When I DO run outside (with both my watch and phone on me), can I safely assume that it's measuring distance based on GPS coordinates and therefore this number IS accurate?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

OldSenileGuy posted:

2) When I DO run outside (with both my watch and phone on me), can I safely assume that it's measuring distance based on GPS coordinates and therefore this number IS accurate?

Yes, or at least much more accurate than your treadmill estimate (this is why some new treadmills talk to iPhones/Watches/etc and send their data to the Health app/etc, which use that over the internal calculations)

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Aug 7, 2023

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

OldSenileGuy posted:

Yeah.

The inside stuff is just a guesstimate. I think (maybe) it calculates your stride off your height in the health app but I could be wrong about that.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

How do the LTE versions work in regards to mobile connections? Does the LTE radio shut down if your iPhone is in Bluetooth range?
The radios essentially go BT > Wifi > LTE and it will shut down anything unused (other than I assume an occasional ping to see if a lower-power data connection is available)

So yes

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
re: indoor stuff I remember that it’s supposed to take data collected while actually exercising with GPS and use that to make better guesses for indoors. I’m not sure if that applies to walking only or running as well but it’s worth a shot to do a couple outdoors walks/runs around 20-30 minutes and see if it gets closer to the treadmill number.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

It does both walking and running, according to the outdoor activity you perform. That said, the stride estimation based on the activity itself. If you calibrate it on a trail run, which typically results in shorter and more steps per kilometer, and then hop onto a treadmill, it'll still be off.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Is Apple’s Podcast app the best choice for listening to podcasts on your watch without your phone around?

Edit: even that isn’t that simple. You need to “follow” the podcast in the iPhone app, then go to the Watch app on the phone and select the podcast as one you want to download to the watch, then put the watch on the charger to actually download.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Aug 11, 2023

ArcaneMan
Nov 2, 2004
uh oh

smackfu posted:

Is Apple’s Podcast app the best choice for listening to podcasts on your watch without your phone around?

Edit: even that isn’t that simple. You need to “follow” the podcast in the iPhone app, then go to the Watch app on the phone and select the podcast as one you want to download to the watch, then put the watch on the charger to actually download.

I use overcast but there is a similar convoluted system of having to choose a playlist to sync and then putting the watch on the charger, or you can wait for them to download while playing pong to keep the watch awake enough for the transfer to complete...

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I use Pocket Cast, I have only done watch-only podcasting a handful of times but my recollection is it was painless.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

My kid has an iPhone 7+ (bottom of desk drawer replacement for her XS that she absolutely annihilated) and a non-cellular Apple Watch SE. The phone/watch combo is not compatible since the 7+ can't get to iOS 16, which the SE requires. I tried doing the "set up for a family member" thing on my phone, but it requires a cellular watch I guess.

Are there any other options for getting the watch to work? Or am I hosed by having to buy a new phone?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Is there a complication that would help my daughter remember her locker combination? We tried reminders and calendar but it would not show the locker combo on her watch screen.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Make a wallpaper out of it

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Faces with monographs sound useful here. There's somewhere in settings where you can set what your monograph says.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

My kid has an iPhone 7+ (bottom of desk drawer replacement for her XS that she absolutely annihilated) and a non-cellular Apple Watch SE. The phone/watch combo is not compatible since the 7+ can't get to iOS 16, which the SE requires. I tried doing the "set up for a family member" thing on my phone, but it requires a cellular watch I guess.

Are there any other options for getting the watch to work? Or am I hosed by having to buy a new phone?

I mean, you could always get rid of the kid!

Nah, you’re kind of stuck. I would look at refurbs, especially refurbs of the 2020 SE. if I remember right you have ATT, but as an example Verizon sells refurb SEs for $200ish. You can prob get something cheap off Swappa.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah that’s what I figured. Bummer.

I typically don’t buy kid phones until Black Friday, when ATT has those “2-3 year old phones for 1 cent/dollar for 36 months” deals. Guess she’ll have to deal without her watch til then.

It does look like they have the 12 for $5/month for 36 ($180) or the 2022 SE for $2/36 ($72). I’ll probably still wait until the next round of phones are announced.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Is there a complication that would help my daughter remember her locker combination? We tried reminders and calendar but it would not show the locker combo on her watch screen.

There’s an app called Cheatsheet for just this kind of thing.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Any rumours on the upcoming series 9 watch about battery life enhancements or anything that’ll make the health activity syncing more open and able to sync out into Garmin’s ecosystem (that’d be an OS update anyway) ?

I can get the current generation watches for an incredible deal through my work health insurance due to my Strava activity being so high, so now considering one for the first time for steps, running and maybe swim tracking.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

wooger posted:

Any rumours on the upcoming series 9 watch about battery life enhancements or anything that’ll make the health activity syncing more open and able to sync out into Garmin’s ecosystem (that’d be an OS update anyway) ?

I can get the current generation watches for an incredible deal through my work health insurance due to my Strava activity being so high, so now considering one for the first time for steps, running and maybe swim tracking.

you may as well wait, S9 can’t be more than 1-3 months away

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I use HealthFit to automatically sync between Health and Strava and it works great. Surprised it doesn’t seem to support Garmin, that must be a Garmin thing.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

wooger posted:

able to sync out into Garmin’s ecosystem (that’d be an OS update anyway) ?

A. gently caress anything Garmin from here to eternity
B. Garmin has their own portal/athletic social thing they've been trying to make a thing forever, until they decide that loving piece of poo poo is a failure Garmin will never implement anything like that.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

wooger posted:

Get the HealthFit app. It’ll auto-export your workouts to basically whatever app you want.

e: oh weird it doesn’t actually support Garmin. I swear it used to.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

A. gently caress anything Garmin from here to eternity
B. Garmin has their own portal/athletic social thing they've been trying to make a thing forever, until they decide that loving piece of poo poo is a failure Garmin will never implement anything like that.

Garmin connect is a thing, massively used by people with Garmin devices. It gives far more in-depth training analysis than Strava or apple Health.

I already use it to track cycling with my cycling computer, and it’d probably be easiest to grab a watch from them, just exploring whether the Apple Watch can do the same thing as I can get one so cheap.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The ordering page of the UK cell provider Three allows you to select between Titanium Grey and Titanium Black now, when ordering an AWU. I guess someone deployed some changes too soon.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

wooger posted:

Garmin connect is a thing, massively used by people with Garmin devices. It gives far more in-depth training analysis than Strava or apple Health.

I already use it to track cycling with my cycling computer, and it’d probably be easiest to grab a watch from them, just exploring whether the Apple Watch can do the same thing as I can get one so cheap.

That’s exactly what they’re saying; Garmin has their proprietary solution they use to justify purchasing their products so they have no impetus to implement interconnectivity

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

very easy to believe garmin wouldn’t make it easy for you to replace most of their functionality with an apple watch

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

The ordering page of the UK cell provider Three allows you to select between Titanium Grey and Titanium Black now, when ordering an AWU. I guess someone deployed some changes too soon.

I thought you were kidding but yup

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Is there really going to be a new Apple Watch that can track your blood pressure? How would that work? Would you have to wear it on your dong, as the prophecy foretold?

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

wooger posted:

Garmin Connect, and Garmin devices, suck massive assholes.

That they’re used extensively in airplanes should terrify the poo poo out of you.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Nessus posted:

Is there really going to be a new Apple Watch that can track your blood pressure? How would that work? Would you have to wear it on your dong, as the prophecy foretold?

Last I read I read of this (early this year), the thinking was it would take a couple more years before they could bring it to market.

I’m not holding my breath for one this year.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Samsung is doing it optically, but you need to regularly calibrate it with a proper blood pressure cuff.

I wonder if there can be anything done via ML, tho.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
If you have a semi current Apple Watch or an ultra i’d go as far and wait out next years‘ as there’s rumors of a major redesign and/or even band system change

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

I would wager that the new band system would use some sort of pogo-pin latching to allow the use of "smart" bands. I could totally see a band with an extra optical sensor to help do glucose or blood pressure. It would keep the primary watch price down while allowing for a separate device entirely to go through the FDA approval cycle.

I figure something like:
2023 - Series 9/AWU Black
2024 - Series X (46/43 sizes with support for "smart bands" that give extra battery (for now) / AWU (Product RED) Edition since microLED still won't be ready.
2025 - Series 11 with new colors & new smart bands (solar/glucose), AWU with microLED larger 51mm screen/smart bands, & SE with smart bands

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Anyone have a recommendation for a preferred 3-in-1 travel charger for iPhone/AirPods/Apple Watch?

From browsing Amazon, my options appear to be either the Anker Cube for $150 (lol), or rolling the dice on one of a million Chinese clones that might work or might be crap.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The Belkin 3 in 1 rules, even at $150

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

I fancy a 3 in 1 but am waiting to see what the go-to recommendations post iOS 17 and StandBy are

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

I splurged and got the Belkin 3 in 1 for my desk (this one: https://www.belkin.com/3-in-1-wireless-charger-with-magsafe-15w/P-WIZ009.html) last year and I don't regret it for a second. It looks nice and it just works.

However, I'm not super interested in doing that for my travel charger since I'll only be using it a few times a year.

I'm leaning towards this one from Anker: https://a.co/d/hRPzotS - I already have one of these for my bedside and it works great. The only downside is that you have to supply your own Apple Watch charger, though it does coil up nicely into the housing and looks clean. But for some godforsaken reason the Apple Watch charger is 26 bucks, which is more than the Anker charger itself. Still, putting them together means for under 50 bucks I can have a reliable 3 in 1 charger that folds flat for easy travel - I haven't found a better deal than that so it's probably what I'll go with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

OldSenileGuy posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a preferred 3-in-1 travel charger for iPhone/AirPods/Apple Watch?

From browsing Amazon, my options appear to be either the Anker Cube for $150 (lol), or rolling the dice on one of a million Chinese clones that might work or might be crap.

I got one of the cubes and it was worth every penny.