Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don’t know how much it may end up being enforced, but there are apparently SAG guidelines for people who cover media like influencers, and the union in those guidelines says that any people who cover struck shows may be denied future SAG membership

Does this mean the "I like turtles" kid can never be in SAG :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

OldSenileGuy posted:

Does this mean the "I like turtles" kid can never be in SAG :(

it means youtube personalities should probably form their own union

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
WGA statement:

quote:

We have been on strike for 94 days. SAG-AFTRA joined us 21 days ago. Both our unions are striking to ensure the future of writers and performers in this business that cannot exist without us.

Every step of the way through this struggle, the AMPTP has run its tired anti-union playbook straight out of the 2007/08 strike.

We first talked to you about this in May when the AMPTP was attempting to divide and conquer labor by refusing to negotiate, and going first to the DGA and then to SAG-AFTRA to try to make deals they would then attempt to force on writers, regardless of our needs.

We know how that went.

Now, two unions are on strike and the industry is three months into a shutdown that is causing delay after delay to TV and movies. It is obviously past time for the companies to get a new playbook–one that recognizes the legitimate issues that caused these strikes and takes steps to address them.

But we have been down this road before.

Here’s what happened in 2007/08: After negotiations broke off on October 31st causing the strike, they resumed in late November only to break off for a second time in December as the strike continued. Why? Because when the companies came back to the table they weren’t serious about addressing the WGA’s proposals. They called Guild leadership “out-of-touch”. They waged a relentless campaign through the media and surrogates to spread dissent.

We won’t prejudge what’s to come. But playbooks die hard. So far, the companies have wasted months on their same failed strategy. They have attempted, time and time again, through anonymous quotes in the media, to use scare tactics, rumors and lies to weaken our resolve. Article after article has perpetuated a myth that the strike has no impact because streaming services have libraries and some product in the pipeline. Pundits quoting studio executives claim that the strike is good for the companies financially and that they will be happy to have it extend into 2024 so they can write off their losses.

This is calculated disinformation about the real impact of the ongoing strikes. We have shut down production. Union writers and actors are so essential in this industry that the companies cannot even attempt to do the work without us. It is not a viable business strategy for these companies to shut down their business for three months and counting no matter how much they try and pretend it is.

The rumors of backchannel talks were rampant this week, entirely driven by management, and only because they see it as a useful tactic. Give the town hope, soften us up, and try to use the suffering of other workers and businesses to pressure us to settle. Get us to throw away the power we have collectively accumulated and make us accept a bad deal. It is all part of the playbook. Every move they make at the bargaining table and every rumor away from it needs to be evaluated through the lens of their attempts to get us to accept less.

We’re not falling for it. Writers – screenwriters, Appendix A writers, episodic television writers, all writers – have marched together for 94 days now. We have struck to make writing a viable profession for all of us, now and in the future. We have not come all this way, and sacrificed this much, to half-save ourselves.

Therefore, we challenge the studios and AMPTP to come to the meeting they called for this Friday with a new playbook: Be willing to make a fair deal and begin to repair the damage your strikes and your business practices have caused the workers in this industry.

Until then, our fellow writers, we will see you on the lines.

In solidarity,

WGA NEGOTIATING COMMITTEE

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

I mean a young, suddenly-rich e-famous douchebazooka

Beeftweeter posted:

good, gently caress mr beast

Has he done something other than "be popular" to garner these opinions?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Looten Plunder posted:

I think it's safe to assume all influencers are trash that use gamer words until proven otherwise.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Tree Reformat posted:

it means youtube personalities should probably form their own union

Unfortunately most of them fully buy into the "Be your own producer/Sigma Grindset" poo poo so it's gonna take a while to convince them they should

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Mr beast is the most popular influencer on YouTube and his best friend is openly trans - who he defends. I learned this th either day

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Looten Plunder posted:

There was the time he tried to get his followers (who are mostly children) to do work for him for free by telling them to go to stores and clean up the displays for his candy bars.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Pillowpants posted:

Mr beast is the most popular influencer on YouTube and his best friend is openly trans - who he defends. I learned this th either day

I learned about both those things a couple months ago when the chuddier youtubers squawked about it

EDIT:

muscles like this! posted:

There was the time he tried to get his followers (who are mostly children) to do work for him for free by telling them to go to stores and clean up the displays for his candy bars.

And his Doordash exclusive series of burger joints are a gigantic scam:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkIkymh5Ayg

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
i think the main thing about people like mrbeast is that everyone's kind of forced to have an opinion on him because of how much the internet insists on recommending his stuff to you

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I've never heard of the guy until this week and I've been on Youtube the whole time, so it hasn't pushed it on everybody.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Looten Plunder posted:

he is responsible for the scourge of youtube thumbnail face and should hang for that alone

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
He's pretty much like most influencers: he sees himself as a brand, not a person.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

ApeHawk posted:

He's pretty much like most influencers: he sees himself as a brand, not a person.

That's generally how they become successful, so, it fits

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

DarklyDreaming posted:

I learned about both those things a couple months ago when the chuddier youtubers squawked about it

EDIT:

Hard hitting investigative journalism by true detective colin farrell

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

LividLiquid posted:

I've never heard of the guy until this week and I've been on Youtube the whole time, so it hasn't pushed it on everybody.

Yeah I know of him but nothing outside of “I think kids like him” and “bad hamburger” and I’m fine with that being my breadth of knowledge

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I think there was a story that he is now suing the company that makes those Mr Beast burgers

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
The only video of his I watched was him claiming to try to eat the world's largest pizza slice and he didn't even attempt to do that.

I don't know what he's like nor does anyone else. All we know is what we're told and there's too much content out there to worry about him specifically. Let the unions sort out if he violated their rules.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

DarklyDreaming posted:

The only review of Mr. Beast burgers that matters: https://youtu.be/uOLcyPfrdac

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

teen witch posted:

Yeah I know of him but nothing outside of “I think kids like him” and “bad hamburger” and I’m fine with that being my breadth of knowledge

I've seen a few of his videos but won't pretend I know much about the guy, but with what he's done with the Clean Seas project, the tree planting project with Rober, the Cataract surgery stuff, the hearing aid stuff and the food bank stuff, he appears to be using his fame for a hell of a lot better things than the majority of celebrities.

I also watched some mini-doc on him to see what all the fuss was about, and holy poo poo, does that guy GRIND. Making a success out of YouTube sounds loving miserable.

Looten Plunder fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Aug 5, 2023

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

WGA, AMPTP Meet But No New Negotiations Set Yet

TL;DR — Yesterday, 8/4 was the first meeting between WGA and AMPTP reps since May 1. AMPTP offers to come back to the table but still refuses to discuss staffing minimums and success-based residuals for streaming, which are two of the WGA’s biggest issues. WGA reps say they won’t bend on those issues. Reps now going back to regroup with their respective negotiating committees.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Does that tactic actually work? "We're prepared to give you this and ignore the things you actually want." "Then why did you arrange this meeting? We're gonna say no and possibly laugh while saying it"

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Coming to the table to waste time is very 'Russian peace negotiation 2022'.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Aces High posted:

Does that tactic actually work? "We're prepared to give you this and ignore the things you actually want." "Then why did you arrange this meeting? We're gonna say no and possibly laugh while saying it"

It's an attempt to reframe the narrative as being that the kind and understanding studios are willing to negotiate, but those greedy bad writers walked out again!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/writergeekrhw/status/1687692281242161152

Just as a reminder.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Well, the WGA SAID to not hold our breath for the meetings yesterday.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Soonmot posted:

It's an attempt to reframe the narrative as being that the kind and understanding studios are willing to negotiate, but those greedy bad writers walked out again!

If that's the case then I think they have seriously miscalculated on just what the public thinks of them. It's not just the WGA and SAG that's pissed at the studios right now, what with the endless cavalcade of price hikes, pulling whole shows and just extremely hostile business practices in general. If they're banking on public pressure to force the unions to cave then I think they're in for a nasty surprise.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Tbh I don’t think the public cares about these strikes

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Vegetable posted:

Tbh I don’t think the public cares about these strikes
Far more do than ever have, and unlike the last two strikes, they're siding with the workers getting hosed.

People have woken up to capitalism being bullshit in a way we've not seen in my lifetime.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

LividLiquid posted:

Far more do than ever have, and unlike the last two strikes, they're siding with the workers getting hosed.

People have woken up to capitalism being bullshit in a way we've not seen in my lifetime.

The general public is also very aware of the ever-changing and increasingly lovely streaming landscape, and how the streaming business model is affecting their viewing habits. Older network shows move from platform to platform, Netflix notoriously cancels their own shows no matter how passionate the fans are.

I mean, 1899 was Netflix’s #2 most watched show for 3 consecutive weeks when it debuted, and then they cancelled it 2 months later. It’s insane. If people watching a show doesn’t make it successful, then what the gently caress defines success anymore? And why would a viewer invest any time into a show if even the most popular shows are at risk for cancellation at any time, just because they don’t hit some arbitrary metric set by an algorithm?

Viewers are definitely frustrated at the business, and I’m seeing lots of public support for the writers from average people (aside from the chuds who think everyone who works in TV is automatically a zillionaire).

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It's one of like two fields total where you can become wealthy. Every other job that'll pay you that much requires you to have already started there.

That they've taken one of the only .000001% aspirational moonshots away that they were using to convince the rest of us "see? It's possible to come from nothing and get rich! Only in America!" is loving staggering. They're never satisfied with eating the whole loving pie. All they can focus on is how unfair it is that some freeloader who did all the work got the crumbs that were rightfully theirs.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Argyle posted:

The general public is also very aware of the ever-changing and increasingly lovely streaming landscape, and how the streaming business model is affecting their viewing habits. Older network shows move from platform to platform, Netflix notoriously cancels their own shows no matter how passionate the fans are.

I mean, 1899 was Netflix’s #2 most watched show for 3 consecutive weeks when it debuted, and then they cancelled it 2 months later. It’s insane. If people watching a show doesn’t make it successful, then what the gently caress defines success anymore? And why would a viewer invest any time into a show if even the most popular shows are at risk for cancellation at any time, just because they don’t hit some arbitrary metric set by an algorithm?

Viewers are definitely frustrated at the business, and I’m seeing lots of public support for the writers from average people (aside from the chuds who think everyone who works in TV is automatically a zillionaire).

And now shows are just being memory holed out of nowhere and seemingly at random.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Argyle posted:

The fans of that show, Shadow and Bone are so desperate for this show not to get cancelled that fans will just play the show continuously in the background during the day so that the metrics don't drop. It's insane but what else are people supposed to do? It's not like Netflix has ever made it clear what it is that makes show successful and certainly aren't willing to let shows find their footing before shitcanning it. How do you invest money in to a product and not even give people the chance to find it?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Happy Landfill posted:

The fans of that show, Shadow and Bone are so desperate for this show not to get cancelled that fans will just play the show continuously in the background during the day so that the metrics don't drop. It's insane but what else are people supposed to do? It's not like Netflix has ever made it clear what it is that makes show successful and certainly aren't willing to let shows find their footing before shitcanning it. How do you invest money in to a product and not even give people the chance to find it?

It's still kind of wild that the live action Cowboy Bebop went form apparently breaking all sorts of viewership records for Netflix and debuting in their #1 slot to "Yeah, we just cancelled it. Goodbye." in practically a single week. And that was irrespective of whatever terrible quality it might have had or the shitstorm around it during its debut from anime fans and chuds alike (though I repeat myself).

Netflix is just bonkers, top to bottom.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yeah, Bebop came to mind for me as well.

Say what you will about the quality of the live action version, but they at least already had a pretty solid framework of material to use as a roadmap to finish it… and Netflix couldn’t even be assed to go that far with it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

nine-gear crow posted:

It's still kind of wild that the live action Cowboy Bebop went form apparently breaking all sorts of viewership records for Netflix and debuting in their #1 slot to "Yeah, we just cancelled it. Goodbye." in practically a single week. And that was irrespective of whatever terrible quality it might have had or the shitstorm around it during its debut from anime fans and chuds alike (though I repeat myself).

Netflix is just bonkers, top to bottom.

I'm really curious how they're going to deal with their One Piece adaptation, which seems doomed just from how difficult it is going to be to adapt the source material, the stink of Bebop as the previous big adaptation still being about, the gigantic budget etc. The latest trailer made it look like it might be okay as opposed to a complete disaster, but as the Cowboy Bebop example shows, it doesn't matter if it is the top ranked show with the highest viewership on Netflix, that's no guarantee it won't be unceremoniously canceled and how the gently caress does anybody exist in that kind of uncertainty?

Barry's episode with Sally's show getting canceled by the algorithm looks more and more realistic every day.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, I used to think it was the budget that torpedoed a show and I guess it might still be but who honestly knows? That Gabriel Iglesias show couldn't have had a huge budget and it got the axe and people seemed to like it in that generically inoffensive sitcom sort of way.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It’s always going to be an issue because these streamers never release their numbers, so we have absolutely no idea what is doing good numbers and what isn’t

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

I'm really curious how they're going to deal with their One Piece adaptation, which seems doomed just from how difficult it is going to be to adapt the source material, the stink of Bebop as the previous big adaptation still being about, the gigantic budget etc. The latest trailer made it look like it might be okay as opposed to a complete disaster, but as the Cowboy Bebop example shows, it doesn't matter if it is the top ranked show with the highest viewership on Netflix, that's no guarantee it won't be unceremoniously canceled and how the gently caress does anybody exist in that kind of uncertainty?

Barry's episode with Sally's show getting canceled by the algorithm looks more and more realistic every day.

I would not be surprised if Netflix is letting some algorithm decide which shows it axes and which ones it lets run forever with near zero human oversight. But yeah the One Piece show looks dead on arrival too. Probably same thing for the Avatar: The Last Airbender adaption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah I think it was earlier in this thread that somebody posted a tweet noting that the issue for the streamers in releasing their numbers is that it will reveal either:

Their viewership numbers are high and they owe millions (probably far more than that) in residuals they just.... haven't been paying.

OR

Their viewership numbers loving suck and the feasibility of streaming as a platform just isn't there and their share price will absolutely tank.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Aug 6, 2023