Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

just lol at anyone who wants for more pocket space when you could just get cargo shorts and a fanny pack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

SKULL.GIF posted:

over many, many years in this industry I haven't noticed a single identifiable difference between age brackets on tip generosity. regulars tip the best. christians tip the worst. rich people on a lark will windfall you but are also just as likely to stiff you.

when i could afford it and restaurants didn't almost double their prices i would tip around 30% because i used to bus and run food as a teen and it sucked rear end. i think if people haven't done those jobs they're even less likely to tip well.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the next iphone will probably finally have a usbc port so don't buy the current one

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

triple sulk posted:

when i could afford it and restaurants didn't almost double their prices i would tip around 30% because i used to bus and run food as a teen and it sucked rear end. i think if people haven't done those jobs they're even less likely to tip well.

Your 30% tip pales in comparison to Premium Consumer, who sucks down 4 call drinks at every single meal, but tips a mere 20% on their massive bill.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Twerk from Home posted:

Your 30% tip pales in comparison to Premium Consumer, who sucks down 4 call drinks at every single meal, but tips a mere 20% on their massive bill.

the american dream is to become a premium consumer

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

what's a call drink?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

what's a call drink?

one made with a specific brand of liquor that you Call for

and so therefore is more expensive than a well drink because of the cachet of the brand and the deliberate choice

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

triple sulk posted:

the american dream is to become a premium consumer

thread title

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Gunshow Poophole posted:

one made with a specific brand of liquor that you Call for

and so therefore is more expensive than a well drink because of the cachet of the brand and the deliberate choice

gotcha. how do the margins typically skew versus a well drink? like sure you get to charge more as the bar, but the cost is higher with the brand yeah?

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

blatman posted:

just lol at anyone who wants for more pocket space when you could just get cargo shorts and a fanny pack

ok 90s dad

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
it’ll depend on a few factors, although I’m off premise only I imagine for bars it’s similar and one of the largest is just straight volume. if the bar usually sells a lot of I dunno grey goose they’ll purchase more of it expecting the trend to continue and at various thresholds it gets cheaper on the wholesale side so your margin goes up

bar charges gently caress me I dunno $10 for a vodka tonic, $14 for a grey goose and tonic. the well vodka wholesale price is gonna have a huge volume scalar so you pay the same per case at five or eight cases and hit a new threshold at ten cases? but if you drive enough demand to the call spirit, your order can be two cases of bottles this time rather than one, you’ll get another $X off per bottle from the wholesaler. and then a lot of fiddly $/shelf inch calculations for storage considerations, staff utilization, etc if you wanna go MBA brains about it.

Gunshow Poophole has issued a correction as of 05:01 on Aug 5, 2023

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

the next iphone will probably finally have a usbc port so don't buy the current one

yeah but even the usbc will suck with slower charging and transfer speed. they want you to by apple certified cables, which goes against their bullshit environmental concerns about ditching lightning.

RadiRoot has issued a correction as of 05:02 on Aug 5, 2023

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

as long ad it works with usbc idgaf if it charges longer when im asleep

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Twerk from Home posted:

I like to wear skintight clothing with small pockets, and I'm so busy vigorously gyrating all day long that I don't have time to be on my phone

keep the phone in your rear end

then you can go as big as you want

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
time to bring back the rotary phone

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
I was using ‘call drink’ to refer to liquor + a single mixer. you’ll hear it called a bunch of different things like a highball but it all means the same thing.

that’s the easiest example to use. pricing out cocktails is a bit more complicated, usually I would have a price point to stay around ($10-$14) and just rotate in different mixers/juices/bitters.

usually the outlets I was at were around 45-50% margin on liquor, including cocktails. skews highest at shots and down from there.

this was all in a college town and a very small rural city so ymmv in Vegas or NYC or similar.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

is there any difference in a phone USB C cable and a laptop USB C PD cable? like all the difference is on the charger end no?

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Real hurthling! posted:

as long ad it works with usbc idgaf if it charges longer when im asleep

big same, if it doesn't charge up enough by the time you're awake, you need to sleep more.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

anonumos posted:

Quick question. Can it be done without the stealing bit? That seems irrelevant to the business plan.

you fool, that's the most important part

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Bar Ran Dun posted:

the metropole colony model isn’t a great to think about the United States with, because there is no enforced trade exclusivity.

extraction doesn’t happen directly by the state either. it’s by corporations of other corporations within the supply chain by the pushing of costs (like holding inventory) onto each other.

in the old days extraction would flow through the customs house. it hasn’t worked that way for over a hundred years.

The core/periphery imperialism model can be reasonably applied whenever there is significantly unequal exchange e.g. between "developed economies" and national economies based principally on resource extraction. The exact details don't really matter.

It also doesn't really make sense to divorce the privileged position of large western corporations from the many "direct actions" of the US. Whether the corporations are state-owned enterprises doesn't make much difference as far as the power dynamics between nations go.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

net work error posted:

Big bottle of Kirkland brand vodka is a fine drink indeed

I can't gently caress with that stuff ever since I was like 22 and did 17 shots of it at a party cause a terrible instigator kept giving em to me and it compelled me to drunkenly make a speech to my ex in front of all my friends about how I still loved her and she should get back with me, then immediately fell into the bathroom and started yakking my guts out. My body preemptively rejects it as soon as I smell it.

Happy ending: we did actually end up getting back together at a later date and eventually got married and have been together for many years and have a joyful life together. 🙂

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

SlimGoodbody posted:

I can't gently caress with that stuff ever since I was like 22 and did 17 shots of it at a party cause a terrible instigator kept giving em to me and it compelled me to drunkenly make a speech to my ex in front of all my friends about how I still loved her and she should get back with me, then immediately fell into the bathroom and started yakking my guts out. My body preemptively rejects it as soon as I smell it.

Happy ending: we did actually end up getting back together at a later date and eventually got married and have been together for many years and have a joyful life together. 🙂

man i love costco

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Morbus posted:

Whether the corporations are state-owned enterprises doesn't make much difference as far as the power dynamics between nations go.

the corporations no longer have any loyalty or connection to the core nation. they don’t seek to benefit the core and they’ll extract from anywhere it’s possible to extract from.

the unequal exchange is driven by market power basically monopoly power but not to the consumer market. it is monopoly or monopsony power is between companies within in the supply chain.

the direct actions of the nation are often directly in conflict with corporate extraction and that’s one of the reasons our fascist party has so many big high wealth donors.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

blatman posted:

I wear a chest rig at work, where I carry a tourniquet, some hemostatic bandages and a bunch of misc items for patient care.

Why do I wear it? Because I look badass.

Can you look Badass with a fanny pack on? Throw on some pit vipers and a loving wad of Copenhegan and you might just be a badass

Nice and hot piss has issued a correction as of 06:53 on Aug 5, 2023

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

IDK if I can call them eshays here in Canada but all the drug dealers younger than 30 wear fanny packs across their chests.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Bar Ran Dun posted:

the corporations no longer have any loyalty or connection to the core nation. they don’t seek to benefit the core and they’ll extract from anywhere it’s possible to extract from.

the unequal exchange is driven by market power basically monopoly power but not to the consumer market. it is monopoly or monopsony power is between companies within in the supply chain.

the direct actions of the nation are often directly in conflict with corporate extraction and that’s one of the reasons our fascist party has so many big high wealth donors.

this is irrelevant. the corporations still bring value from one location to another. that is the point of a supply chain.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Hey is that room temp super conductor real or fake yet?

Ammanas posted:

man i love costco

They whip rear end

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Zodium posted:

this is irrelevant. the corporations still bring value from one location to another. that is the point of a supply chain.

they bring value to many locations many countries particularly the complicated ones that aren’t vertically integrated. The extraction might not be flowing into the country of the final location of the produced good!

The extractive link might be a subcontracting part manufacturer exploiting a cheap workforce. they might have competitors and sell an equivalent product to those competitors to their buyer at the same price their competitors would sell it for. They might not pass any of the extracted value to the next company in the chain.

most companies aren’t vertically integrated. their supply chains are all over the world and the extraction of value doesn’t necessarily flow up.

its thinking from how production worked a century ago, and it’s very different now.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Bar Ran Dun posted:

they bring value to many locations many countries particularly the complicated ones that aren’t vertically integrated. The extraction might not be flowing into the country of the final location of the produced good!

The extractive link might be a subcontracting part manufacturer exploiting a cheap workforce. they might have competitors and sell an equivalent product to those competitors to their buyer at the same price their competitors would sell it for. They might not pass any of the extracted value to the next company in the chain.

most companies aren’t vertically integrated. their supply chains are all over the world and the extraction of value doesn’t necessarily flow up.

its thinking from how production worked a century ago, and it’s very different now.

i think you are not understanding world systems theory. on average, value is extracted from, for example, the periphery south american countries, and flows to the core north american countries, much like it's extracted from the working class and flows to the capitalist class.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I think that’s simplistic. it’s forcing simplicity on a complicated real and erasing the actual for the sake of a narrative.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

it is, nonetheless, a fact.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Bar Ran Dun posted:

i'm genuinely not clear what you are saying? things are different because the empire was strengthened significantly than a century ago and ramped up the number of leashes it yanks. but overall not that much so

as an example: we exploit say bolivia to tear up it's marshlands so they produce raw lithium, they do this because they also have IMF loans to pay back or threat of US-backed coups and country heavily influenced and owned by corporate interests where the wealth flows upwards into the core. they exploit the workers to pay as little as possible who also must burden the externalizes that all their waterways are polluted. this raw lithium produced by a transnational corporation is then sold to another Battery Plus LLC where it is then sent to indonesia or taiwanwhere workers are paid as little as possible because they too have IMF loans to pay back and these are made into batteries. this Battery Plus LLC sells them to Tesla where tesla then puts them in cars and sells to the american consumer for 80k. the american consumer is isolated from the externalities and exploitation from the peripheral that produced the commodity they now consumer.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Xaris posted:

i'm genuinely not clear what you are saying? things are different because the empire was strengthened significantly than a century ago and ramped up the number of leashes it yanks. but overall not that much so

as an example: we exploit say bolivia to tear up it's marshlands so they produce raw lithium, they do this because they also have IMF loans to pay back or threat of US-backed coups and country heavily influenced and owned by corporate interests where the wealth flows upwards into the core. they exploit the workers to pay as little as possible who also must burden the externalizes that all their waterways are polluted. this raw lithium produced by a transnational corporation is then sold to another Battery Plus LLC where it is then sent to indonesia or taiwanwhere workers are paid as little as possible because they too have IMF loans to pay back and these are made into batteries. this Battery Plus LLC sells them to Tesla where tesla then puts them in cars and sells to the american consumer for 80k. the american consumer is isolated from the externalities and exploitation from the peripheral that produced the commodity they now consumer.

yep. and each step along the way, you have comprador bourgeoisie in the periphery extracting value from local workers, and they in turn put their capital in the core. this maintains the stability of capital density relations over space such that the relative development inequalities that extractive process depends on remains stable.

it is true that the nature or quality of the process has changed from a state driven one where it makes sense to talk of "the US" exploiting "Bolivia," because it's capital density, not state policy, that drives system behavior. "the US" only exists to do whatever maintains stability of these relations the system depends on, but (or hence) the basic relations between core and periphery remain. it's no more possible to explain the behavior of the system without accounting for that than it is without accounting for the relations between capital and labor. it certainly did not go away a century ago.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

goons don't talk about anything with quite the warmth of emotion they talk about beer and burgers

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

Yeah I remember reading about this. Wine is where the money is at. People have it in their head that they want to spend $X on a bottle of wine for Y quality, and it's almost all just branding and salesmanship.

The premium consumer pays $40 for a bottle of wine at the store or $90 at a restaurant when that bottle costs some small fraction of that to produce.

Beer and liquor have much smaller markups, relatively speaking.

wine is weird; the markups on wine are high because the associated costs of wine is a lot higher. I run a beverage program for an nyc restaurant and while wine brings in the most revenue, the COGS is somewhere around 30% while liquor is usually high teens low twenties and beer is as low as 10%.

wine markups are also different depending on the price of the wine. low end wines that cost the restaurant $10-$20 a bottle will usually get marked up 4-4.5x, while expensive bottles that cost us $100 a pop you can really only get away with marking up 3x or so. For super rare super expensive bottles you can see markups in the 1.5x-2x range, but since you're making literally $1000 in profit per bottle sold it's no issue.

basically as far as costs and margins are concerned beer is impossible to beat, but if you want any real revenue you need liquor and if you want that sweet whale money (sorry, premium consumer money) you need expensive wines

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

a strange fowl posted:

goons don't talk about anything with quite the warmth of emotion they talk about beer and burgers

Beer and burgers are the closest thing we have to a homegrown product. Everything else comes from the periphery. Although we do get the phosphorus for all them corn and hop plants from the periphery...Goddammit, it's like there's NO ethical consumption under capitalism.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Shear Modulus posted:

so funny when you read about apple fans maulding about their precious apple-specific connector being banned

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Penisaurus Sex posted:

what's most hilarious about the frosted glass vodka wars is that Belvedere, which is usually the most expensive of all of them, has nowhere near as much consistent purchase as GG.

Goose came in and ate everyone's lunch the same way that flavored vodka did twenty years later.

and now the most popular vodka is make in Texas, but I still prefer Luksusowa

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

Jel Shaker posted:

the newest iphone update actually has hosed my iphone mini 12

its absolutely boiling half the time, could be the flawed design which is why they dont make them anymore but literally this problem only happened after the new update a few weeks ago

I posted about it in the IYG iPhone thread but my 12 mini was doing the same even after I got the battery replaced by apple. I backed up my phone and ended up doing a factory reset and setting up as a new phone and battery/temp problems have disappeared. works like a brand new phone again. I’m keeping location services off for everything as well and haven’t had a problem for like 2 weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Consolidated Ed posted:

yeah i was doubtful too, every millennial i know tips like the person theyre tipping is a human being. when i read that about zoomers i was like wtf, why, if anything they should be the most giving tippers of all. in my experience, boomers and rich people are the absolute worst about this, but i expect that from my class enemies.

This is how it was decades ago when I delivered pizza. The country club full of boomers would usually not tip and the lovely apartments would tip big. I decided to prioritize the apartments because of this and the boomers lost their minds. They endlessly complained about me because of it.