Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
"AAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh, It's happening again, I've fallen down the "spend more time modding than playing" hole again
also, op needs an update, OpenMW is on .48 now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

staberind posted:

"AAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh, It's happening again, I've fallen down the "spend more time modding than playing" hole again
also, op needs an update, OpenMW is on .48 now

Fixed! Also while I was in there I added Mod Organizer 2 to the mod managers list and fixed the link for the latest Bloodmoon patch.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

if anyone wants to start a new playthrough and live-post and get some cool forum achievements imp zone's monthlong game is morrowind

https://impzone.club/index-long.html#title

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4020915&pagenumber=310#post533453888

featuring a modding competition

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

mbt posted:

if anyone wants to start a new playthrough and live-post and get some cool forum achievements imp zone's monthlong game is morrowind

https://impzone.club/index-long.html#title

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4020915&pagenumber=310#post533453888

featuring a modding competition

Also note that this event includes me coming out of retirement to make the long-awaited third instalment in the Muffinwind Trilogy, Impo 2, which is lore friendly and includes weed smoking gamer Divayth Fyr (Divayth Fyr is known to travel to other dimensions). If you think you spot stolen assets in it, no you didn't

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I feel like I'm going slightly crazy after loving around with getting OpenMW to work with mods on a Steam Deck. Despite other people doing this and there being a ton of guides out there, I still don't get what the issue is. Has anyone else done this?

I read some stuff about how Luxtorpeda is apparently kinda bad for OpenMW (not sure if this has been fixed but it seems to be a problem for the past year or so?), so I went the route of installing OpenMW direct from Discover in desktop mode. Easy peasy, downloaded and located my Morrowind install, fun times. OpenMW launched in vanilla, no problems.

I then proceed to try to run through the I Heart Vanilla: Directors Cut modlist on my PC, downloading all of the mods and putting them in exactly the same folder structure that that site/OpenMW apparently recommend. Everything is good as far as I can see, so I slap the folder containing all of this onto a USB drive and transfer it to my Deck. I then manually edit openmw.config and settings.cfg per the CFG Generator and everything looks good. Now that I'm on my Deck, the mods are transferred over, and I've updated the .cfg files, there's only two things left to do: the last two steps in the modlist I linked above (Generating a Navmesh Cache and the Delta Plugin).

So I open up the OpenMW launcher to generate a navmesh cache. I instantly see that the data files were loaded in per my editing of the config files, which is good... wait a second, it's missing some things, including Tamriel_Data.esm, despite that mod existing and the directory being added in config. Okay... weird. Getting suspicious, I check the archives tab to see if the BSAs I registered in the config file were showing up -- nope, it's just showing me the three retail BSAs and not the new ones. I double-check that they're in the config file -- yep -- but they aren't showing up in the OpenMW launcher. I go into Morrowind.ini and add them there as well just in case, but no dice.

I proceed anyway and generate the navmesh cache, only then to get an error message pretty much immediately that some height files were not found. I mark that down as something to follow up on, and proceed to the Delta Plugin step anyway, since that shouldn't have any real dependency on the navmesh cache, right?

The Steam Deck being a Linux device, I open a console and enter this argument per the modding-openmw site's instructions:
code:
~/games/OpenMWMods/Tools/DeltaPlugin/delta_plugin merge ~/games/OpenMWMods/Tools/DeltaPlugin/delta-merged.omwaddon
The console immediately pops back a response that delta_plugin is a directory. That's it, that's the tweet, there is no further information. Thing is, delta_plugin isn't a directory, it's an executable... so I have no idea what the issue is here and no idea how to proceed.

I don't really know what to do at this point besides nuke the mods folder and restore the original OpenMW settings files and just play unmodded, which is something I don't want to do, so... yeah. Any Deckhavers have any ideas?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Drone posted:

I feel like I'm going slightly crazy after loving around with getting OpenMW to work with mods on a Steam Deck. Despite other people doing this and there being a ton of guides out there, I still don't get what the issue is. Has anyone else done this?

I read some stuff about how Luxtorpeda is apparently kinda bad for OpenMW (not sure if this has been fixed but it seems to be a problem for the past year or so?), so I went the route of installing OpenMW direct from Discover in desktop mode. Easy peasy, downloaded and located my Morrowind install, fun times. OpenMW launched in vanilla, no problems.

I then proceed to try to run through the I Heart Vanilla: Directors Cut modlist on my PC, downloading all of the mods and putting them in exactly the same folder structure that that site/OpenMW apparently recommend. Everything is good as far as I can see, so I slap the folder containing all of this onto a USB drive and transfer it to my Deck. I then manually edit openmw.config and settings.cfg per the CFG Generator and everything looks good. Now that I'm on my Deck, the mods are transferred over, and I've updated the .cfg files, there's only two things left to do: the last two steps in the modlist I linked above (Generating a Navmesh Cache and the Delta Plugin).

So I open up the OpenMW launcher to generate a navmesh cache. I instantly see that the data files were loaded in per my editing of the config files, which is good... wait a second, it's missing some things, including Tamriel_Data.esm, despite that mod existing and the directory being added in config. Okay... weird. Getting suspicious, I check the archives tab to see if the BSAs I registered in the config file were showing up -- nope, it's just showing me the three retail BSAs and not the new ones. I double-check that they're in the config file -- yep -- but they aren't showing up in the OpenMW launcher. I go into Morrowind.ini and add them there as well just in case, but no dice.

I proceed anyway and generate the navmesh cache, only then to get an error message pretty much immediately that some height files were not found. I mark that down as something to follow up on, and proceed to the Delta Plugin step anyway, since that shouldn't have any real dependency on the navmesh cache, right?

The Steam Deck being a Linux device, I open a console and enter this argument per the modding-openmw site's instructions:
code:
~/games/OpenMWMods/Tools/DeltaPlugin/delta_plugin merge ~/games/OpenMWMods/Tools/DeltaPlugin/delta-merged.omwaddon
The console immediately pops back a response that delta_plugin is a directory. That's it, that's the tweet, there is no further information. Thing is, delta_plugin isn't a directory, it's an executable... so I have no idea what the issue is here and no idea how to proceed.

I don't really know what to do at this point besides nuke the mods folder and restore the original OpenMW settings files and just play unmodded, which is something I don't want to do, so... yeah. Any Deckhavers have any ideas?

1. you should ask the openmw discord
2. i made the install on my main computer and then transferred it over. i'm not suggesting you do the same, but that ended up working for me.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
gently caress i missed dam near the whole month! If i can get this turd working again i'll post it. One pain in the rear end is:
code:
local logger = require("logging.logger") -- get ye log
local log = logger.new{
    name = modInfo.name .. " " .. modInfo.version,
    logLevel = "TRACE",
    logToConsole = true, -- doesn't seem to actually do this?
    includeTimestamp = true
}
idk i keep having to quit and look at the log file. Basically it has never logged to console at any point i've ever worked on it. It does include timestamps at least

I won't be able to get back at it for like 12 more hours anyway.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Playing Tamriel Rebuilt, I came across one of those red "Deprecated Item" boxes. A guard was holding it at Fort Windmoth. Googling tells me this could have something to do with other mods using old assets? But I'm not using any mods with items that I know of and I haven't seen this anywhere else. Should I report this to the dev team? Only other thing I can think of is patching Tamriel Data in MO2 hosed things up somehow.

Still loving TR, by the way. It strikes a nice balance been staying within the bounds of the original (no huge dungeons, multitude of new weapons and armors, spell effects, super long quests or such) while at the same time expanding and evolving parts of the game (multiple quest solutions, new dungeon layouts, new fauna and flora etc). I'm making my way from Firewatch towards the low level areas of the Thirr river, currently in Akamora. Real mountains!

Captain Scandinaiva fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Aug 22, 2023

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

mbt posted:

1. you should ask the openmw discord
2. i made the install on my main computer and then transferred it over. i'm not suggesting you do the same, but that ended up working for me.

Cheers, I'll give the OpenMW discord route a shot.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

SniperWoreConverse posted:

gently caress i missed dam near the whole month! If i can get this turd working again i'll post it. One pain in the rear end is:
code:
local logger = require("logging.logger") -- get ye log
local log = logger.new{
    name = modInfo.name .. " " .. modInfo.version,
    logLevel = "TRACE",
    logToConsole = true, -- doesn't seem to actually do this?
    includeTimestamp = true
}
idk i keep having to quit and look at the log file. Basically it has never logged to console at any point i've ever worked on it. It does include timestamps at least

I won't be able to get back at it for like 12 more hours anyway.

It's because of the console is closed it doesn't work

I somehow have a problem where if the console is not open my entire ui is disabled

Jfc.

I wasted a bunch of time thinking I would be able to modify the meshes of objects after their creation, this appears to be not the case, and I dunno how to delete items thar are just on the ground.

Basically every time I fix something I break it

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

It's because of the console is closed it doesn't work

I somehow have a problem where if the console is not open my entire ui is disabled

Jfc.

I wasted a bunch of time thinking I would be able to modify the meshes of objects after their creation, this appears to be not the case, and I dunno how to delete items thar are just on the ground.

Basically every time I fix something I break it

oh i did something similar to this

code:
local function onWabbajackExpire(e)
    local data = e.timer.data

data:disable()
    data.mesh = data.baseObject.mesh
    data:enable()
end

event.clear(tes3.event.spellResist)
local function spellResistCallback(e)
    if e.source.id == "TR_wabbajack_en" and e.target.baseObject.objectType == tes3.objectType.creature then
            local base = e.target.baseObject.mesh
            e.target:disable()
            e.target.mesh = 'r\\netch_bull.nif'
            e.target:enable()
            e.target.baseObject.mesh = base
            tes3.messageBox(e.mobile.health.current)

timer.start{ type = timer.simulate, duration = 5, callback = onWabbajackExpire, data = e.target, iterations = 1, persist = true }
    end
end
event.register(tes3.event.spellResist, spellResistCallback)
that's my copy/pasted code that transforms something for 5 seconds when hit by wabbajack. hopefully the general structure makes sense, you can do it if you disable/enable in the same frame

for things in the cell you can iterate on objects in the cell itself. https://mwse.github.io/MWSE/types/tes3cell/#iteratereferences

mbt fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Aug 23, 2023

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I was trying to set up a generic misc item on load (according to the description if that item already exists in the save it just gets it), that way there would be a default item I could use to build off in later versions.

Then when you push the button it steps thru to calculate the weight and value, then add one to the player inventory, then set the mesh to match the container's mesh. You also need to be able to specify names for your containers, that's must have, p much.

I'm doing it wrong and it either crashes or gives ⚠️. Creating an entirely new item every time worked before and p much works now, as long as I'm not doing it half rear end and am correctly destroying it when it needs to go away. I think it might pollute saves with a ton of useless items if I do this wrong, & I don't know how to check.

Similar thing with the ui, I can't figure out how to make a ui and just turn it on or off, but building it when I want it and destroying it when I don't just works. Just stupidly asking for a problem to materialize imo. When I was injecting these buttons directly into MenuContents it was slightly easier but I wanted it to eventually be a configuration choice where to put them. Turning my menu visible works... to bring it into this bizarre half-broken state.

Also I had it set up to create a set of key/values of everything that needed to be moved or deleted which caused hilarious bugs such as the game locking up for several seconds or minutes as the ID overflows the table position, and then it starts working again. I fixed this but it will still crash arbitrarily because I guess the references are going bad? I'm using make safe handle but it doesn't seem to make a huge difference, so maybe I'm doing something else wrong.

Basically I'm back to where I started: you can pack up a container, put it in your inventory, and when you drop it it unpacks back into the container object. I haven't tested it much but it should be getting towards where it remains working across saves & quit/loads, which was a deal breaker preventing release.

Without some sorta queue and way to add and remove objects from the list you have to leave your container the exact spot you drop it, it works if I tell it to instantaneously unpack the second it hits the ground, but the player can't make fine adjustments. I wanted to make it seem as vanilla as possible but it's even too clunky for that.

Idk prob I will go thru my 7 versions of this thing and try and sort out what works and fails and come up with something.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
good luck. is that in basewind or OpenMW?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
uh base

going over some stuff, i was able to fallback to a UI that doesn't look like complete poo poo. If i can figure out how config files work i can make a dropdown option where the player can decide to inject the buttons into the vanilla ui, or when the right container is open it pops an ok-looking menu they can pick buttons from and this automatically goes away when appropriate. I have absolutely no idea why, but i cannot get it to put two buttons next to each other with each button taking 50% of the width. Inexplicably, no matter what i do, it makes two buttons one under the other top to bottom, even if i specify left to right in every way i can think of. So gently caress it you get two buttons one up and one down gently caress u.

I'm loving over it. As far as I care the UI is done and works. Now i need to double check and make sure I'm not pumping game saves full of poo poo that i'm not cleaning up, and also correctly getting the references and putting the right data in the right place. There's a case where a player looks in some dumbass barrel or whatever, decides they like the look of it, and just grabs the whole thing. I need to be sure i'm applying the correct item data and not accidentally trying to pack up the base object and instead correctly making sure the container is resolved and slammed into inventory.

Basically if i can confirm i'm doing this right i think it might be done, but every time i make major changes it seems like i forgot what i was doing and break it more than i fix it... idk. Changing my UI back to a super early version also has the drawback of breaking the way i was passing references and IDs around. However it actually works and doesn't look hideous.

Then the base system will be done and while all the cool old containers from the old mod will not be implemented in this, I should at least have some basic system up that can be fixed to work the way i want. If i could i would entirely just run this thing out of some simple functions instead of having to manipulate all forms of different ui objects and poo poo like this, trying to fuckin
local contentsMenu = tes3ui.findMenu("MenuContents")
local container = contentsMenu:getPropertyObject("MenuContents_ObjectContainer")

yeah gently caress that never again i hate it

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
the thing that really frustrates me with this is that i can trivially just see how it should work in :airquote:pseudocode:rolleyes:, but when i try to hammer the game into doing what i want i'm basically a monkey with a rock, not even a typewriter. There's p much nothing that prevented this mod from existing ten years ago.

init: create all the ui and leave it turned off. this works if it's extremely simple and it still isn't great. i don't like it but gently caress it it's fine.

onload: create/get a generic misc item (or items if i ever get it working). stretch goal is adding these to merchant inventories. Basically recreate ye olde containers mod in this new way. Outfitters sell all kinds, specific tradespeople sell specific related kinds. Gonna go ahead and not do this at all, because i couldn't figure out how to change the meshes of individual inventory items instead of objects that are literally lying on the ground.

when you look at a container: pop the UI, add the reference id to one variable which is like 50% of any state-based things i need to keep in mind while writing this. if it has been renamed, change the title of the inventory screen. This works. Except i broke renaming the inventory screen.

player hits pack up: convert the container to an instance/reference/whatever and not a generic unresolved container (if it's unresolved), grab the ID of that, calc the weight/value/mesh, add this to inventory as a misc item, add the ID of the orig container to the msic item's data, disable the container, close all UI as if the player hit vanilla's take all.

player hits rename: add a field to the container's data that has a string of the new name and refresh all the UIs that need it. So now tooltips rename to the new name, now menu contents is titled correctly
ontooltip: yeah same thing, ez right? wrong.

on ui close: look at the list of containers that need activated, activate them and delete all the misc items. clear the unpack list. This list is the other 50% of anything state based i need to pay attention to.

on drop item: if it's our misc item it will have a data field that has the ID of the container. Move the container to the cell and position and orientation of the misc item, leave it disabled, add both this misc item and this container to the list

on pickup item: if it's our misc item remove its entry from the unpack list. This lets players nudge items around as they please instead of having it instantly transmogrify into the real container. Only when they leave the inventory screen is everything finalized

bing bang boom these 8-12 functions are all of it. The whole thing can fit into like a couple hundred lines, not even... except i have it entirely hosed up and not working at all. Closest i got was on drop just immediately move + activate the container and nuke the dropped misc item. the only things being added to the system outside of UI is when a container is renamed its new name goes into a field, and when it is packed up the ID to that container goes into its corresponding misc item, and when a misc item is needed it is created. When it's not needed it is obliterated. Somehow i keep loving this whole thing up so that it crashes the game or does other insane poo poo.

If i could get several generics to work correctly i would be able to recreate stuff like having the neat gem bags and scroll cases and all that bullshit. If i could get that going it could do such things as if it contains a stolen item it is stolen, cops can see inside unlocked containers, locked containers can't be seen into so you can smuggle drugs, arrile won't buy your crime sack full of skooma or locked can of moon sugar, poo poo like that. Security should have some utility beyond a lovely version of the unlock spell, and chests in particular would be ideal for this because they could be locked easily. Other containers would be cheaper to buy, and have better weight ratios -- there's a reason to buy a toolbox instead of leaving your hammers in a crate, like idk a toolbox can hold infinite calipers but weighs 1 by itself. I already have it so empty containers have a weight related to their storage capacity. Make it so if it's not a chest you need magic to lock it, but you could get or make or have bought normal keys for chests, and if you have the key to the chest you can lock it again. I just keep fixing and breaking the goddamn thing in circles like a fuckin lunatic instead of making any progress at all. :shrug:

Hell, it'd be cool to be able to make it so that if you do recall on touch it warps your crate of loot to your base. Ofc you do two crates then they overlap and are all hosed up. The existence of the art mod implies there's a way to create a texture from a mesh, so it should be possible to wake and bake cool custom inventory icons for every individual container that exists in an install when you go to the config screen and hit the button. Also burial urns are insane and require actual mathematics to position correctly. It may be possible to accidentally position them in a way that they cannot be normally recovered unless you're some kind of console wizard lord.

gently caress i need to get my poo poo together lol. I've been fixing and breaking this mod since the trump administration or some poo poo lmao.

e: also attempting to equip a container could open the inventory of that container, but that itself is a can of worms, like what if you gently caress this up so you could put a container inside itself or something insanely stupid. You can already nest containers so what if you also grab that container and try to look into it. hmm maybe gently caress this noise.

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Aug 27, 2023

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I'm finally, finally getting around to my first playthrough and I'm stuck on everyone's faaavorite subject, Major Skills vs. Minor Skills and leveling strategy bullshit.

I'm running off these important caveats:

1) I'm using Improved Vanilla Leveling which means efficient leveling is no longer a primary concern, thank god, but being aware of it can still be helpful.
2) I'm probably not going out of my way to do crazy broken Alchemy/Restoration stacking to turn into a super god.
3) I realize this remaining bit of min/maxing is more about getting over the early game hump and that the game's not that hard and you end up super powerful by the end anyway and yadda yadda.

Basically where I'm stuck is that even removing efficient leveling as a factor, major/minor choices still have an impact on skill leveling rate and initial skill levels. I know a *bit* about MW through osmosis but not enough to gauge where certain things should go, either because they suck to grind up to 100 or because having those initial points is a real boon. All of the leveling guides/advice/whatever out there inevitably focus on efficient leveling first and foremost or have other biases, with the end result being that I've accumulated a little bit of advice, but a lot of it is contradictory. Good example is Athletics where you get some people saying doing anything but leaving it as a Misc. is dumb and others who say dear god open palm slam that poo poo onto your Major list because moving slow as molasses sucks. I also narrowed things down to 11-12 possibilities and only 10 slots to work with, so. :v:

Obvious stuff up front: Female Orc, Lady, Combat, Endurance, Strength. Blunt Weapon and Heavy Armor go right into Major. After that, uhhhhhhh...

- Athletics (and Acrobatics). I'm using Heavy Armor so being able to haul rear end more efficiently seems like a good idea? Acrobatics is one of the floating options because I like having even more mobility and hey, more ways to rack up Strength. Like I said above, I've heard conflicting opinions on what to do with Athletics.

- Enchant and Alchemy. These are just down to not knowing how grindy and weird the leveling process might get for each. I'm using most if not all of the various MCP options that make Enchanting (and Alchemy for that matter) less janky, so that might impact things? Otherwise I've heard claims Enchant is a struggle to level and benefits from being a major skill.

- Mysticism vs. Restoration. I planned to grab one or the other just to have something handy that affects Willpower. It seems like both end up largely being redundant with Enchant/Alchemy though. Mysticism seems to have the edge just for innate access to Soul Trap and not needing to faff around with other means of travel spells is a nice bonus. I do also hate diseases and stat drains with a passion though, but my thinking is that I could just, y'know, teleport to the nearest healer and deal with it that way.

- Armorer. Seems like an obvious minor skill to me?

- Sneak. My only logical access point for Agility ups and it won't go entirely to waste unlike the other two possibilities, but I'm not exactly planning on doing tons and tons of sneaking normally. To me it seems like by that logic it should be a major skill just so I don't have to spend quite as much time on it to accrue those agility boosts?

- Security. I've heard making it a major is nice just because it puts you in a comfortable stat range for getting through early locks easily.

- Speechcraft. Seemed like a cromulent minor skill to me, with Lady also taking a little bit of the edge off as well, but it sounds like a lot of people hate dealing with persuasion and make it major to drastically reduce how much they need to worry about it. Edit: Oh right, I have a mod that rebalances Speechcraft which almost certainly makes it less necessary for it to be a major skill.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Oct 15, 2023

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
So, you're only using two handed? Because otherwise Block is an obvious melee choice for raising agility. It's going to be hard to use Sneak while in Heavy Armor. Also, if you've got skill points to spare, don't overlook unarmored, which still exists in Morrowind and will allow you to ditch a helmet and still feel like you're getting some value out of the slot.

People say Mercantile is pointless in a game where money doesn't matter but I think they can't help but see the game with their hundred+ hours of experience, and personally I find mercantile far less cumbersome to use (change the buy/sell price once) than persuasion ( hammer admire endlessly on everyone you meet).

Short blade is another fun option, because a lot of neat weapons with strong debuffs are daggers and shortswords, so you can pop 'em with the short blade as an opener, then go ham with the mace. Also (references to a main quest plot point I'll keep very vague there are a couple of plot centric end game weapons you'll use, and they're a short blade and a blunt weapon, so you'd have both skills!

Mysticism is a fun school that has a lot of the powers that distinguish Morrowind from later games - use Mark and Recall for custom fast travel, or Telekinesis to avoid trapped chests.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Oct 15, 2023

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Don't forget absorb health which will absolutely carry you through the rough early levels.

Is heavy armor endurance or str? You'll want some end in there so you can be a tanky lady, which seems like what you're going for.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Heavy Armor, Medium Armor, and Spear are all End.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
You know, I'd really like a mod that just raises your speech craft a tiny bit every time you speak to someone, and automatically raises disposition, the way personality does. Can bribe for a permanent bonus, or intimidate for a high initial bonus that then inverts at triple penalty later. Something like that.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
This is how things currently look.

I keep shuffling skills around based on the most recent advice I hear, but realistically I'm likely overthinking things and as it stands I don't see anything egregiously wrong with this setup. Sneak is a little goofy as a Major, but that's all.

Jack B Nimble posted:

So, you're only using two handed? Because otherwise Block is an obvious melee choice for raising agility. It's going to be hard to use Sneak while in Heavy Armor. Also, if you've got skill points to spare, don't overlook unarmored, which still exists in Morrowind and will allow you to ditch a helmet and still feel like you're getting some value out of the slot.

Bingo, I forgot to clarify but the plan was two-handed at all times, so I ditched Block. I'll never be in a position where I'll be using sneak in combat or anything like that, the reason to stick it in Major is just to have a fast(er) leveling source of Agility and so it's a little easier to get good with the Thieves Guild down the line. Also, it's Elder Scrolls, I'm gonna feel the need to creep around and steal stuff at least occasionally even if I'm otherwise a big tanky berserker type. :v:

I did briefly consider Mercantile over Speechcraft, but my thinking is that between being able to brew potions, enchant items (which will be worth some actual gold thanks to an MCP option), and the mod I have that makes Speechcraft less cumbersome, on top of the usual loot goblin tendencies, I don't expect gold troubles and ultimately being a charmer is more how I tend to play.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Jack B Nimble posted:

You know, I'd really like a mod that just raises your speech craft a tiny bit every time you speak to someone, and automatically raises disposition, the way personality does. Can bribe for a permanent bonus, or intimidate for a high initial bonus that then inverts at triple penalty later. Something like that.

It's either Talking Matters or Silver Tongue, get em both on Nexus; combined, they do all that

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Oh Dang, Talking Matters sounds perfect yeah.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Not pro or familiar with your leveling mod which might affect this advice, but regarding whether to major, minor, or nothing athletics, I think it depends on how quickly you want to level up. It's going to go up passively as you run around, whether or not you make it a major/minor skill. If it is one of your skills, you will level faster. This may or may not be desirable depending on whether or not you want time to boost other skills to get more stats when you level, and whether or not you want to level more slowly to preserve some challenge. Assuming I'm understanding the system correctly, this can be pretty muddy. Leveling faster makes you more powerful faster in the short term, but means lower stats overall in the long term. My feeling is that you're so OP even by midgame that lower overall stats when you start capping out your main skills won't matter much anyway. On the other hand maybe you're fine with breaking the game early.

It also affects how high the stat will be at the start of the game - you'll be slower if it's not a core skill so there's a strong QOL argument there to make it one regardless of your desired leveling speed.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Oct 15, 2023

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Not the stat but the skill, iirc only the race, sex, & sign choices affect your starting stats.

I still maintain to this day that if you're moving too slow you're carrying too much & need to just bite the bullet and leave your extra crap stashed or sold until you're strong enough to drag it orfast enough to overcome :colbert: There's a reason half these npcs aren't fully armored up

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Little trip report:

Switched Sneak and Speechcraft around, though I may be regretting it already as even with the mod speechcraft is mindless, disposition is just less prone to getting stuck and bottoming out. I think. Meanwhile I haven't had sneak actually rank up yet, so forcibly farming for skill ups seems inevitable. I'm definitely feeling the lack of Agility. I can absolutely clobber when my hammer actually lands, I usually eat poo poo and die when it doesn't.

Early game has been a bit painfully slow to my tastes. Not in terms of movement speed, though that certainly doesn't help, but more in how the quests are structured. Lots of faffing around between Balmora, Pelagiad, and the surrounding environs. The travel networks can only help so much. And due to the nature of the mechanics exploration is somewhat muted since right now it's a 50/50 whether any given cave has something mathematically impossible to deal with.

I will say it's interesting how the early game is very focused on giving you money and consumables. I'm actually pretty rich for the moment and almost all of my equipment gets have been purchased rather than found, in a way that's felt remarkably balanced and fair.

A little silly and annoying that I quickly stalled on the Fighter's Guild (admittedly just down to not going over to Caldera yet, yes I know about the whole conflicting guilds siruation), but could clear out the basic Mage and Thief guild stuff with very little trouble. Well except for the tendency for TG objectives to be a bit cryptic.

The MQ has sent me off to Vivec so that's where my journey will pick up next. Time to get horribly lost.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Try to pick up Mark, Recall, and the two Intervention spells, those can help with getting around. Or at least items that can cast them.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
If you're getting poo poo results maybe try slamming that money into training instead of gear. Imo farming or jerking around with trying to auto crouch walk around or whatever is such a waste of time that you could be better off console correcting whatever stats & skills you want.

Usually I stick to getting gear via loot, which is going to materialize what you want eventually, and use money to patch over any defective skills that started out crappy or aren't doing tremendous. If you focus too much on buying gear you could end up with the same few items lasting you the whole game every playthru, stuff like that. Immediately ramping to a full set of almost the second best armor at like level 2 or 3 gets old, personally.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Also yeah, not everything is actually practical to level through use in Morrowind, especially if it's low. I think if you've got low Sneak and heavy armor you are basically never going to successfully sneak when sneak checks actually happen, so you'll never actually get credit towards it increasing.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Zereth posted:

Try to pick up Mark, Recall, and the two Intervention spells, those can help with getting around. Or at least items that can cast them.

Oh yeah, I've also kept some Intervention scrolls handy. Though they're a bit awkward to get used to at the moment due to their...well they're not unpredictable per se, but it's hard to exactly know where they're going to yeet me to, y'know? I tried to be clever and use one once already and ended up in the thick of Vivec or somesuch when I was just trying to get back to Balmora.

I'm also so used to ignoring magic that I didn't think to really investigate every last spell on offer in Balmora.

If you're getting poo poo results maybe try slamming that money into training instead of gear. Imo farming or jerking around with trying to auto crouch walk around or whatever is such a waste of time that you could be better off console correcting whatever stats & skills you want.

Usually I stick to getting gear via loot, which is going to materialize what you want eventually, and use money to patch over any defective skills that started out crappy or aren't doing tremendous. If you focus too much on buying gear you could end up with the same few items lasting you the whole game every playthru, stuff like that. Immediately ramping to a full set of almost the second best armor at like level 2 or 3 gets old, personally.

I'm so used to training being lovely and awkward and overpriced (or just a poor value due to stat scaling being busted) in the other games that I hadn't really thought about it. Now to figure out who trains Sneak...guessing somebody in the Corner Club does.

As to your second point...I'm walking around covered in plain steel stuff, which I'm guessing is perfectly serviceable early-to-mid game stuff at best. It's not like I pulled whatever the equivalent of cheesing Umbra for her Ebony armor in Oblivion is.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

John Murdoch posted:

Oh yeah, I've also kept some Intervention scrolls handy. Though they're a bit awkward to get used to at the moment due to their...well they're not unpredictable per se, but it's hard to exactly know where they're going to yeet me to, y'know? I tried to be clever and use one once already and ended up in the thick of Vivec or somesuch when I was just trying to get back to Balmora.

I'm also so used to ignoring magic that I didn't think to really investigate every last spell on offer in Balmora.
Well, seem you could take the Mage's Guild teleporter from Vivec to Balmora, or could've put a Mark in Balmora. Or put a mark in the thing you're exploring and use Intervention to get back to civilization to unload stuff and sleep and go back. Or if you ahve a mod to get more than one Mark you can use that to help shuttle around, or drop one on a place you'll need to go that's hard to get to, etc.

While looking for spells also keep an eye out for Restore [Attribute] being able to patch up your damaged stats is very useful.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Zereth posted:

Well, seem you could take the Mage's Guild teleporter from Vivec to Balmora, or could've put a Mark in Balmora. Or put a mark in the thing you're exploring and use Intervention to get back to civilization to unload stuff and sleep and go back. Or if you ahve a mod to get more than one Mark you can use that to help shuttle around, or drop one on a place you'll need to go that's hard to get to, etc.

While looking for spells also keep an eye out for Restore [Attribute] being able to patch up your damaged stats is very useful.

Oh I get it, it's just a lack of familiarity with how everything intertwines. I don't immediately associate "Mages Guild" with "teleport network" yet. And also obviously when I haven't been to some of these places yet, being unceremoniously dumped off by Intervention leaves me needing to process how to actually navigate that city, evaluate its travel services, then get back on the right track. Or I guess just say gently caress it and start dicking around in the new location but my OCD hates that.

Also I'm apparently suffering from some real brain fog because I keep thinking magic is heavily barred from me just because everything sans Mysticism isn't a major/minor. Did Oblivion poison my brain? I remember that having strict stat requirements on spells. Morrowind it's more a matter of "if you suck at Destruction then it costs 1000 magicka to cast Ultra Fireball of Death and you'll probably fail to cast it at all anyway" right?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Yeah. And make sure your fatigue is full, too.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Right. That's the one thing that's been drilled into my head. Helps that Oblivion had a form of it. A somehow simultaneously slightly better and vastly worse form.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Without mods spell costs are fixed amounts of mana in Morrowind, regardless of skill level/Intelligence/Willpower, but skill level mostly just affects chance of failure to cast.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I still think the whole "fatigue is terrible" "everything is so drat slow" "boots of blinding speed is basically required" situation in morrowind is way overblown.

If you find yourself navigating around too slow you're actually in a situation that's imo one or some mix of:
1: Your actual speed / athletics is too lovely
2: You're carrying way more poo poo than your strength can handle
3: You're running around too much and being incautious

This is fixed by not freaking out that you don't have a full set of armor yet, upping your skills & stats, and doing things like only bringing the minimum viable set of gear & slowing down when you come across anything that seems suspicious. Obviously you can still end up in too deep, but having any particular gear isn't going to help if you don't have the ability to be effective with it. Once you are strong enough to be able to run around in actual full plate it's gonna be easier to start tanking these hits instead of getting your legs busted off. But a whole set of heavy armor is... heavy as gently caress. Just the armor is like 100 or w/e, and your speed is related to the ratio of how much crap you have vs how much you can carry, so you gotta be pretty strong to be able to handle it. Ebony armor is like half your max normally possible encumbrance, and dwemer (which is p close to the next best thing you'd reasonably get without going out of your way) is roughly the same as steel except flatly better. Imo too much armor can be as bad as not enough.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

are you telling me you don't beeline the boots every game? i don't care if you're naked or full plate, that poo poo is a huge QOL upgrade

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
my most recent char is just baadargo that i've been using to test that dumbass mod, i botched my install and have to remember based off the wiki think it's like

"Adventurer" (totally not escaped slave)
Stealth, Endurance, Luck
Sneak 40, Acrobatics 50, Athletics 35, Heavy Armor 30, H2H 40
Restoration 15, Block 15, Armorer 15, Mercantile 20, Speechcraft 20

Tower key, beggar's nose, eye of fear, eye of night

Khajiit male, so uh i guess the stats are like
40 strength, 40 int, 30 will, 50 agility, 40 speed, 40 endurance, 40 personality, 50 luck

so no, this is an insane dogshit cat char, i already don't give a drat about the boots and created a char that doesn't even have any weapon except h2h and yet still has block. Pretty sure the highest 1 handed weapon skill is going to be short blade at 15, and this character has p much no ability to deal with anything at range.

Probably will either join the thieves' or just focus on twin lamps, i specifically turned directly around and slam dunked the caius messages back on the desk in there. Not doing main quest with this one.

I will guru levitate irl before caring about the boots ever again on any char lol, i am p much completely over them entirely & have been for a long rear end time. With this guy even if an entire suit of plate fell into his lap the slowdown would be brutal, so most likely I'd stick with just a shield and maybe a couple other pieces at first. There's a reason NPCs are walking around with barely no armor until they're p high level.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Zereth posted:

Also yeah, not everything is actually practical to level through use in Morrowind, especially if it's low. I think if you've got low Sneak and heavy armor you are basically never going to successfully sneak when sneak checks actually happen, so you'll never actually get credit towards it increasing.

Yeah money is 100% for training in Morrowind (and expensive enchants at high level I guess). It's cheap enough to be negligible until the skill is in the 60s-70s by which point it will largely get the job done.

It's that or spend miserable hours following GameFAQs tricks on how to grind sneak up from 5 to usable and that was patience testing enough when we were 12, we have responsibilities now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Progress report:

Vivec is...50% less confusing than I feared it would be. But that just means it's still 50% confusing. The other 50% is merely inconvenient. I'm already glad I thought to put a Mark down at the Morag Tong HQ and I haven't even cast Recall once yet.

Overall, I actually had a pretty good time of it though, finding a lot of the more notable stuff just by nosing around rather than needing to hunt for it. (Totally missed the Thieves Guild tho, oi.) The MQ stuff there is simple but well done and there's some fun intrigue in the side quests.