Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Antigravitas posted:

Seems correct to me.

My experience is the western med’s native peoples are the english, the germans, and the russians

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Oh my god, what is wrong with your face

taters
Jun 13, 2005

Serbia catches a break lol.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

that's basically what the US thinks too. except for latvia, rip

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

i say swears online posted:

that's basically what the US thinks too. except for latvia, rip

Also replace “tulips” with either “cyclists” or “weed” depending on who is responding

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

taters posted:

Serbia catches a break lol.

I may impressed they know of Moldovan wine.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Hungary
lard

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Why can't Latvia eat potatoes

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Negostrike posted:

Latvia comedian say “what deal with potato”

Latvian crowd not laugh

Comedian squat into darkness to see crowd. No crowd. All die from malnourish.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Negostrike posted:

all the potatoes were deported to russia for failing the language test

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Negostrike posted:

If you have more than one potato then Russia sends PMC Wagner Nazis and then you have no potato and no patella, and Russia has two potatoes. This is how potato work.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

It's good to know where my latent weeb tendencies come from.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Negostrike posted:

An excuse for me to re-post this:

Latvia's Potato consumption doesn't appear to support that notion (and I don't think there are enough ethnic Russians there to account for all the potato consumption)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Belarus about to undergo potato criticality.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Goddamn I would crush a potato right now.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Negostrike posted:

"Latvian jokes" was a meme couple of years ago.

Three Latvians meet and brag about who raised their sons to be the most successful.

"My son is a farmer," says the first one. "He can have as much potato as he wants."
The second man replies: "My son is a policeman. He can make as much money as he wants from bribes."
The last man is quiet for a while and then he says: "My son died at birth. He is free from the struggle."

"Comrade, we can't compete with you, you are indeed the most blessed among us," conclude the others, and all three solemnly stare into the cold darkness of the night.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Does vodka count toward potato consumption?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

OddObserver posted:

An excuse for me to re-post this:

Latvia's Potato consumption doesn't appear to support that notion (and I don't think there are enough ethnic Russians there to account for all the potato consumption)

Netherlands is Eastern Europe?

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

What's going on in Bosnia there?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The Benelux potato bloc of Western Europe

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Deformed Church posted:

What's going on in Bosnia there?

Eating potatoes, mostly.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Phlegmish posted:

The Benelux potato bloc of Western Europe
Really more like Bene bloc.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The weird ones are in the rest of the balkans being bizarrely anti-potato.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Powered Descent posted:

Does vodka count toward potato consumption?

Only if it isn't made from grain.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Half the Luxembourgers come from Portugal so it makes sense

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

SlothfulCobra posted:

The weird ones are in the rest of the balkans being bizarrely anti-potato.

I really want to know what's going on with Bulgaria. I seem to remember a number of other food-related maps also showed pretty significant differences between Bulgaria and other Balkan and Eastern European countries. What's the deal?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

Half the Luxembourgers come from Portugal so it makes sense
They eat more potatoes though. Has to be Cypriots dragging the average down.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

MeinPanzer posted:

I really want to know what's going on with Bulgaria. I seem to remember a number of other food-related maps also showed pretty significant differences between Bulgaria and other Balkan and Eastern European countries. What's the deal?

From Bulgarians I've known they tend to have a more sort of Mediterranean diet. Like they are a lot of food I typically think of as Greek or Turkish.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Look, the navy cooperation in the Benelux is referred to as Benelux navy cooperation even though Luxemburg is landlocked and has no navy nor vessels.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

a pipe smoking dog posted:

From Bulgarians I've known they tend to have a more sort of Mediterranean diet. Like they are a lot of food I typically think of as Greek or Turkish.

at a quick train stop in sofia I grabbed some excellent mini cake donuts, making it my only experience with their food. maybe it's all they eat

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The bulgarian couple at our church always brings “pumpkin dessert” and it’s delicious. It has a real name in bulgarian afaik but they just call it “pumpkin dessert”

Pumpkins are not native to the Balkans last I checked so I have questions. Questions I am not asking bc my mouth is full of pumpkin dessert

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Carbon dioxide posted:

Look, the navy cooperation in the Benelux is referred to as Benelux navy cooperation even though Luxemburg is landlocked and has no navy nor vessels.
Luxembourg has over 200 registered sea going vessels.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The bulgarian couple at our church always brings “pumpkin dessert” and it’s delicious. It has a real name in bulgarian afaik but they just call it “pumpkin dessert”

Pumpkins are not native to the Balkans last I checked so I have questions. Questions I am not asking bc my mouth is full of pumpkin dessert
Pumpkins come from the land of turkeys, so close enough.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I've heard the eye-talians have started experimenting with the tomato as well

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

I've heard the eye-talians have started experimenting with the tomato as well

not very much though

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I feel like Mexico alone renders that first map inaccurate

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

I feel like Mexico alone renders that first map inaccurate

i checked other sources, and their all time high in 1999 was in the next category, but their consumption has been declining since

perhaps bigger consumers use their tomatos in more concentrated forms which require more tomatos?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Tomatoes are way less common in a lot of Mexican cuisines than you would think if you're just imagining the pico de gallo at a Tex-Mex restaurant. A lot of time the red color in sauces or meat dishes is from dried chilis rather than tomato. My godmother family is from Michoacan and other than pico and Spanish rice I can't think of almost any dishes she makes that use much tomato at all.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Kenning posted:

Tomatoes are way less common in a lot of Mexican cuisines than you would think if you're just imagining the pico de gallo at a Tex-Mex restaurant. A lot of time the red color in sauces or meat dishes is from dried chilis rather than tomato. My godmother family is from Michoacan and other than pico and Spanish rice I can't think of almost any dishes she makes that use much tomato at all.

Considering Mexico has multiple multiple varieties of tomatoes and gooseberries featured heavily in the cuisine i think this is cap.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Thorough investigation involving texting “what’s that poo poo called” has led me to learn that the bulgarian name for pumpkin dessert is печена тиква, baked pumpkin. Not really more inspired than pumpkin dessert.

Eat that poo poo tho it is really good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

Considering Mexico has multiple multiple varieties of tomatoes and gooseberries featured heavily in the cuisine i think this is cap.

:shrug: I'm just relating an anecdote that aligns with what's recorded in the actual consumption data. Also tomatillos and cape gooseberries aren't tomatoes, nor are they actually gooseberries.