Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Wrapped up a (heavily homebrewed) 1.75 year Ghosts of Saltmarsh campaign last night. Took some time for everyone to just chat about the game. Anyone have advice for how to wind down a game?

We're taking a week off and starting a new campaign with new characters.

Can you talk about what you homebrewed and/or where you went off the reservation? My players opted for Saltmarsh, but keep talking about wanting to hit the underdark at some point, which I guess is feasible, but I'm not sure -when-. The higher level saltmarsh adventures don't seem terribly exciting to me, so I'd like to make a detour.

E: feel free to DM me if it seems too OT or space-taking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Bigby's just unlocked for my early access. So I can get info about various things in it. I have not looked at it yet, but here is the ToC

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Tias posted:

Can you talk about what you homebrewed and/or where you went off the reservation? My players opted for Saltmarsh, but keep talking about wanting to hit the underdark at some point, which I guess is feasible, but I'm not sure -when-. The higher level saltmarsh adventures don't seem terribly exciting to me, so I'd like to make a detour.

E: feel free to DM me if it seems too OT or space-taking

I moved the setting to Faerun, below Neverwinter, above Thornhold, on the Dead Marsh(iirc).

Ned trapped them in the Skelton room and dipped, and became a recurring villain and was a warlock in service to Orcus.

Other than that, did some revamping to tie in character stories. One of the PCs was from Murann, so I set The Styes in Murann. I had Xandros be in-service to Zariel, kind who directed the PCs to a few side quests to kill demons, added some other side quests to it. The adventures are designed for certain levels, and sometimes if you're just doing the book adventures you may not have enough XP for the designated APL for the next adventure. Did some fetch quests.

One thing I did was, before The Final Enemy, have the party teleported to Triboar by the Saltmarsh Council to look for a missing shipment of weapons that Saltmarsh had ordered. Overland, since shipping was being impacted by the sharkmen. So they followed the Triboar Trail from Triboar back to Saltmarsh and found the wagons, which had been attacked by hill giants.

Also added a dragon adventure to kill a dragon because it's dungeons and dragons. For a sea themed adventure anthology very little of it took place on ships.

I'll say this was also the first time I had ever run a game as a GM, and also first time playing 5e. I had played 3.5 back in HS/College but hadn't really played any ttrpg since around the time 4e was released. The players all said they had fun, so I guess I'll believe them!

If you're running the game on Foundry I could provide you some assets, if you're interested. Feel free to PM me.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Also added a dragon adventure to kill a dragon because it's dungeons and dragons. For a sea themed adventure anthology very little of it took place on ships.

I'm glad you did this. I'm always adding more dragons to published things because I feel like D&D adventures often shirk on their namesake monsters.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

PeterWeller posted:

I'm glad you did this. I'm always adding more dragons to published things because I feel like D&D adventures often shirk on their namesake monsters.

One of the players also really, really wanted to fight a dragon

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Oh a free Level 16 Adventure using the Bigby's Materials is up too.

https://www.dndbeyond.com/claim/sou...tent=star-forge

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Yusin posted:

Oh a free Level 16 Adventure using the Bigby's Materials is up too.

https://www.dndbeyond.com/claim/sou...tent=star-forge

This is actually perfect for me, my level 13 party wants to go raid a fire giant fortress and free some slaves

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Here are few monsters from the book that I thought seemed fun.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Naming a creature Frostmourne is a choice.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Arivia posted:

Naming a creature Frostmourne is a choice.

A Frostmourn is an undead Frost Giant that generally was murdered in a way it considers dishonorable (poisoned, backstabbed, while it was sleeping) they return seeking vengeance, but tend not to be satisfied by it, and continue harming the living for years after.

We get an undead giant of each main kind. The Barrowghast for hill giants, Cainwight for stone giants, Firegaunt for fire giants, Spectral Cloud for cloud giants, and Tempest Spirit for storm giants.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Yusin posted:

A Frostmourn is an undead Frost Giant that generally was murdered in a way it considers dishonorable (poisoned, backstabbed, while it was sleeping) they return seeking vengeance, but tend not to be satisfied by it, and continue harming the living for years after.

We get an undead giant of each main kind. The Barrowghast for hill giants, Cainwight for stone giants, Firegaunt for fire giants, Spectral Cloud for cloud giants, and Tempest Spirit for storm giants.

now I'm just imagining Arthas carting a whole giant around and banging people over the head with it as a weapon

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Then the giant eats a player, and someone says "Frostmourn hungers", and everyone stands up and claps.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

https://twitter.com/Wizards_DnD/status/1686783925220261903?s=20

...I might actually have to buy this book

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Those look like something you could replicate with origami for 1% of the price.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!
I know my wife has some polymer clay and acrylic paint around the house somewhere.

I'm pretty sure I could make something very similar in an hour or two of messing with $6 worth of Sculpey and another hour or so of painting.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Are those actual things they're selling or just a preview of the book?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

PeterWeller posted:

Are those actual things they're selling or just a preview of the book?

They're new magic items in the book

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Get some scrap wood and a sharp knife and whittle your own. Try to avoid skinning your thumb, it's annoying to get stitched back together.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

change my name posted:

They're new magic items in the book

Yeah, I got that. What I'm confused about is people talking about making their own on the cheap.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
If they're not making them they're fools.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Write your own modules you plebs.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Bigby's has a weapon I think most frontline martial types would like to have over all others. Possibly the best source of burst damage in the game

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!
I was talking about the little figurines they showed up there.

And since they showed them, Hasbro is absolutely going to put 4 little plastic dinosaurs in a cardboard box and charge people $35 for them.

Actually I might just do that for other figurines of power, then my players might actually remember they have the drat things.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Does landing a crit double the damage rolled from your expended hit die? Imagine being a Paladin and landing a crit with this and spending your highest level spell slot plus all of your hit die

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.

Zurreco posted:

Does landing a crit double the damage rolled from your expended hit die? Imagine being a Paladin and landing a crit with this and spending your highest level spell slot plus all of your hit die

If the DM doesn't let you double the hit die damage on a crit, the DM is wrong, regardless of the rules

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Unless it specifically says you don't roll them twice you can roll them twice.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dexo posted:

Unless it specifically says you don't roll them twice you can roll them twice.

Now let's go to Crawford...

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I don't care, Crawford's opinions aren't law. Unless it gets written in errata.

The example in the book tells you to double the dice you roll for all additional die you roll as well.

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete

Zurreco posted:

Yes at my table, and at any table that doesn't hate paladins.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Rules as written are:

"If the attack involves other damage dice, such as from the rogue’s Sneak Attack feature, you roll those dice twice as well."

I'm presuming that if you're doubling the dice instead you double all dice.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Zurreco posted:

Write your own modules you plebs.

No, I'm too scared.

I will be DMing for the first time ever about a month from now. Going to string some of the one shots in Keys from the Golden Vault together into a mini campaign lasting for however long I feel like. I really want to write my own stuff afterwards, assuming DMing prewritten stuff goes well.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

https://twitter.com/nevernotdm/status/1687708732745265152?s=46&t=8qKeRz1MPwpnqaU9WYBJgg

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
That sucks. :(

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Oh ffs WOTC. They're making like over $100 mil in profit a year, they can pay for concept to finished product artwork generated by humans. This company is circling the drain

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

I can't really tell if this is WoTC running somebody's artwork through an AI generator or if it is the artist themselves drawing sketches and them running it through a generator. Pretty stupid choice by WoTC either way, but I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of stuff is AI generated and this is the art that was touched up poorly.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

gurragadon posted:

I can't really tell if this is WoTC running somebody's artwork through an AI generator or if it is the artist themselves drawing sketches and them running it through a generator. Pretty stupid choice by WoTC either way, but I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of stuff is AI generated and this is the art that was touched up poorly.

From this article: https://gizmodo.com/dnd-ai-art-bigbys-giants-book-artist-generators-wotc-1850710496

article posted:

A source at Wizards of the Coast has said that Shkipin’s use of AI art was not something that the team was aware of. Further, they state that no text in the book was AI generated. Wizards has said that they will update their guidelines to more explicitly prevent these sorts of incidents from happening in the future

Well that's somewhat encouraging. Just seems like some cryptoNFT grifter who was contracted out to do some art work for WOTC, who uses AI generated art and AI editing/'upscaling' to enhance their work.

Regardless, the depressing reality of the next few years is that excellent artists are going to be pushed out of their jobs by armies of middling artists using AI to dress up their work for a lot less money.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

To be precise, he is a freelancer artist that already did work for them in the past (the shambling mound in the monster manual is by him, for example) and that only recently turned to AI.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Yeah the artist Ilya has gotten into using AI to touch up their concept art. Update from wizards on this.

https://twitter.com/CHofferCBus/sta...%5Es1_&ref_url=

Yusin fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 5, 2023

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.
I think that a major issue here is that consumers are not buying these books for the arts' sake, but rather that art in a TTRPG book is a perfunctory marker of "written content quality" and "legitimacy". It's a marker to convince consumers to buy the book, and to please the reader on their first and maybe second read. If you could get an AI to do this... then it's almost a no-brainer for the seller to use an AI as much as feasible. I never look at the pictures when using the 5e books, and I use the books quite a lot.

If these books were explicitly artbooks, I'd have a hard time ever seeing someone attempt to add AI art into them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I mean, sorta?

This is anecdotal to my experiences locally and specifically in my circles, but I think at this point, most people are buying hardcover physical books specifically for the art, or as like a physical thing to look at and "admire"(can't think of a better word right now), as almost everyone I see playing 5e or PF2E use digital tools in some form.

Like the only reason I bought the Lancer hardcover book is because I love the Art, I'd much rather use comp/con or a pdf or something to actually play from.