Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

You don’t need Apple to block an IMEI, even. Your phone operator can put it on their blacklist, call their support line and ask how.

Example FAQ from a NZ operator:

https://www.tcf.org.nz/consumers/mobile/lost-stolen-phones/frequently-asked-questions/#what-is-an-imei-block

In Sweden, where I’ve worked in the telecoms business, the operator will ask for a copy of a police report. When they’ve added it to their block list, that handset will never get signal in their network (apart from emergency calls, presumably). Periodically, like monthly or once a quarter, they share their blacklists with other operators nationally.

I don’t know if any blocklists are ever shared internationally. I wouldn’t count on it.

This works for all phones, but is all a lot less effective than a find-my-iPhone block, which bricks the phone. I think most people don’t ever get their stolen phone operator-blocked. Nonetheless, you should not ignore the possibility to make life a little worse for phone thieves because it reduces their incentives to steal more phones.

In the US if you call to temp disable your phone service , if you tell them it was stolen they’ll mark it automatically. Once marked only the original owner can unmark it. As others have mentioned, not shared internationally, but it is shared with all US carriers, so if Verizon flags the phone stolen T-Mobile will have it on their list too and won’t allow it on their network, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Question Mark Mound posted:

I vaguely remember something when Apple Wallet was new where they hyped up the idea of your loyalty cards popping up on your lock screen when you enter a store. Did that just never materialise or did it require specific adoption by each store that they never got enough places to opt in to?

Flight passes will show up a few hours before the flight but that seems based on time rather than location.

My Lowe’s card does that when I’m near their stores. I think it’s just a simple geolocation integration thing rather than a Bluetooth beacons thing.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I have at least three that consistently pop up for me. Did you disable location services for Wallet?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
It works for Sam’s Club for me :shrug:

That is the only non payment card in my wallet though

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Question Mark Mound posted:

I vaguely remember something when Apple Wallet was new where they hyped up the idea of your loyalty cards popping up on your lock screen when you enter a store. Did that just never materialise or did it require specific adoption by each store that they never got enough places to opt in to?

Flight passes will show up a few hours before the flight but that seems based on time rather than location.

I have a few on ther, although they don’t pop up automatically, which I really don’t mind.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

There’s a Starbucks next to my local subway station so it pops up all the time which is actually a bit annoying bc I rarely go.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I used Apple Pay at my local coffee spot (Hyperion Coffee in Ypsilanti MI) and it asked me if I wanted to add a loyalty card to my Wallet and now my points are automatically added whenever I pay there.

I also keep my car insurance card and Covid vaccination card in my Wallet. I really wish Michigan would roll out digital IDs.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I think my state is trialing digital drivers licences soon, when that day comes I’ll never have to carry a wallet ever again, except maybe when I go to the doctor for health insurance card.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’d still carry a wallet just in case my phone dies and I’m stranded or get hit by a car or something

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

hatty posted:

I’d still carry a wallet just in case my phone dies and I’m stranded or get hit by a car or something

Yeah for sure. I get a nice front pocket style wallet that doesn't hold too many cards. I just carry like, ID, insurance info, 1-2 debit cards, 1-2 credit cards, and maybe cash because I live in the state of Colorado.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Corb3t posted:

I used Apple Pay at my local coffee spot (Hyperion Coffee in Ypsilanti MI) and it asked me if I wanted to add a loyalty card to my Wallet and now my points are automatically added whenever I pay there.

This happened to me once but I’ve never gone back to the same cafe so I dunno how it works. I didn’t explicitly sign up for anything but there’s a loyalty card in my wallet now. Neat I guess.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

I think my state is trialing digital drivers licences soon, when that day comes I’ll never have to carry a wallet ever again, except maybe when I go to the doctor for health insurance card.

There’s like no way that’s not already digital in your insurance app.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

The Lord Bude posted:

I've used digital health insurance cards for like a decade, but I know a lot of smaller insurers will not have that facility on their site / app. You can also take a photo of front and back of the card, then you won't really have to keep it in your wallet. You could also make a Photos album for those documents.

Really want digital driver license in IL but it's gonna take like 10 years out here.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
So when you go to your doctor with your digital insurance card, are they set up to just scan it or do you need to hand your phone over to them? They prolly take it a copier and scan it?

And the digital licenses, same question? Do you need to hand your phone over to the guy to verify your age?

Cause there is absolutely no way that I’m ever handing over my phone to someone.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

So when you go to your doctor with your digital insurance card, are they set up to just scan it or do you need to hand your phone over to them? They prolly take it a copier and scan it?

And the digital licenses, same question? Do you need to hand your phone over to the guy to verify your age?

Cause there is absolutely no way that I’m ever handing over my phone to someone.
I think most doctors need to scan your insurance. For ID, a lot of bars will scan the barcode on the back.

I’ve reduced my wallet to a card holder with AirTag these days. ID, health insurance, 2 CCs and subway card.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

No way in hell am I giving my phone to a cop. I'll carry physical ID.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

hatty posted:

Hopefully Apple improves Power Reserve so even without a charged battery, users will still be able to access all their cards.

Endless Mike posted:

No way in hell am I giving my phone to a cop. I'll carry physical ID.

Police officers will not take devices, it's all NFC.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Yeah that' the thing with digital IDs. I was reading up on it and I think the issue is that despite a digital ID, a cop or whoever may still expect you to hand over a physical ID card. I'm sure this would all depend on the color of your skin.

Someone above made a good point about insurance cards. At least in the US, every place I've been to always wants a physical card so they can scan it and have a digital copy on file.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I got pulled over recently with a digital insurance card and the Michigan police officer didn't bat an eye at the fact that I didn't have a paper copy, he just reviewed the copy in my iPhone's wallet.

I'm sure it depends on the state.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Corb3t posted:

I got pulled over recently with a digital insurance card and the Michigan police officer didn't bat an eye at the fact that I didn't have a paper copy, he just reviewed the copy in my iPhone's wallet.

I'm sure it depends on the state.

So did you have to hand your unlocked phone over to a cop? Or did they review it while you held onto the phone the entire time?

I wouldn’t hand over my phone to some store clerk to check my age because I don’t want them to drop it and shrug and say oh well. I would never ever give control of my phone to a cop because ACAB.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

So did you have to hand your unlocked phone over to a cop? Or did they review it while you held onto the phone the entire time?

I wouldn’t hand over my phone to some store clerk to check my age because I don’t want them to drop it and shrug and say oh well. I would never ever give control of my phone to a cop because ACAB.

They reviewed it from my hand from the lock screen's wallet drawer.

We've already solved this problem, every cheap handheld device and kiosk has a NFC scanner nowadays. This is a non-issue.

When you present your license or ID in person, after you authenticate using Face ID or Touch ID, your ID information is presented digitally through encrypted communication between your iPhone or Apple Watch and the identity reader, so you don’t need to unlock, show, or hand over your device. If your device is locked when you present your ID, it stays locked after you present your ID.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Aug 5, 2023

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Solved the problem a century ago with physical cards imo

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Corb3t posted:

They reviewed it from my hand from the lock screen's wallet drawer.

We've all solve this problem, every cheap handheld scanner has NFC nowadays. This is a non-issue.

Yeah and all modern payment systems have the NFC logo on them for tapping to pay but yet a lot of them “don’t work”.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Adding it is kinda dumb though. You go through a whole process to add your drivers license through the Colorado state app, then have to do a second process for the wallet app to do the same thing (and part of the wallet process is waiting for the state to snail mail you a verification code).

I'm sure it's all caused by the various security requirements but it feels to me the Colorado app should be able to add to the wallet itself.

I guess it's still bette than the 46 states that don't have digital drivers licenses at all.

xzzy fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 5, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

hatty posted:

Solved the problem a century ago with physical cards imo

Being able to only carry my Apple Watch is the dream imo. My next car will definitely support iOS digital keys, as well.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Yeah and all modern payment systems have the NFC logo on them for tapping to pay but yet a lot of them “don’t work”.

Blame the store, not Apple or iOS - they're trying to get you to sign up for Walmart Pay or whatever crap they're peddling. Take your business elsewhere. Places like Meijer and Target have accepted Apple Pay for years. Kroger recently rolled it out. Lowes is rolling it out (finally) as well.

What's even sillier is many of these brick and mortar stores accept Apple Pay through their iOS app, but not directly in the store.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Aug 5, 2023

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Corb3t posted:

I also keep my car insurance card and Covid vaccination card in my Wallet. I really wish Michigan would roll out digital IDs.

The thought of actually handing over your phone to a loving cop to check an ID is idiotic to me.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Corb3t posted:

Being able to only carry my Apple Watch is the dream imo. My next car will definitely support iOS digital keys, as well.

Blame the store, not Apple or iOS - they're trying to get you to sign up for Walmart Pay or whatever crap they're peddling. Take your business elsewhere. Places like Meijer and Target have accepted Apple Pay for years. Kroger recently rolled it out. Lowes is rolling it out (finally) as well.

What's even sillier is many of these brick and mortar stores accept Apple Pay through their iOS app, but not directly in the store.

I am blaming the store. And I don’t trust that a cop won’t just take my phone if I present it to them, so I’m blaming the cops here too. In the end it doesn’t matter who I blame because the thought of having my phone taken while unlocked is too real.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

I am blaming the store. And I don’t trust that a cop won’t just take my phone if I present it to them, so I’m blaming the cops here too. In the end it doesn’t matter who I blame because the thought of having my phone taken while unlocked is too real.

The point of adding stuff to your wallet is you can let people handle the phone or scan the screen/nfc chip without it being unlocked.

It's a good system it's just never really taken off.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

The thought of actually handing over your phone to a loving cop to check an ID is idiotic to me.

Literally not how Apple designed digital wallets and IDs, see all the links I provided.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Not how it's designed.

xzzy posted:

The point of adding stuff to your wallet is you can let people handle the phone or scan the screen/nfc chip without it being unlocked.

It's a good system it's just never really taken off.

Most of airlines and bigger concerts that given me iOS wallet tickets that are NFC scanned without handing over my device. The vast majority of my in-store purchases over the last few years have been done using ApplePay on my Apple Watch - local small businesses scanners all accept it, and our big box stores accept it. If you live in a metropolitan area in the US, there's really only a few holdouts nowadays (Walmart, Home Depot).

It won't be long before every state has digital ID's and we're all digitally pre-checking for events that serve booze or whatever.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Aug 5, 2023

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Cops aren’t suppose to shoot you dead when you call for help but they do. If a cop can do that then a cop can confiscate my phone if I present it to them for ID purposes. There’s literally nothing apple can do here to fix this issue because it’s not an apple problem.

This means that I and basically all people of color in the US will always prefer to carry a physical license.

E: and for buying booze, I’ll always prefer to carry a physical license as well in case the machine doesn’t work or the store clerk wasn’t trained to accept digital licenses or whatever. Physical licenses are a solved problem that I know will work 100% of the time.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Boris Galerkin posted:

Cops aren’t suppose to shoot you dead when you call for help but they do. If a cop can do that then a cop can confiscate my phone if I present it to them for ID purposes. There’s literally nothing apple can do here to fix this issue because it’s not an apple problem.

This means that I and basically all people of color in the US will always prefer to carry a physical license.

Yeah this is why I don't want to put my ID on my phone.

edit: and I'm white. Cops are just never ever to be trusted.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I appreciate the fear and loathing of the police but there's no point to the conversation if the goalposts get moved every time someone explains how digital ID's work in more detail.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

xzzy posted:

I appreciate the fear and loathing of the police but there's no point to the conversation if the goalposts get moved every time someone explains how digital ID's work in more detail.

I have no problem having my phone scanned for a movie ticket in it's wallet or using apple pay. I don't care how a digital ID works and how safe it is; you should never willingly hand your phone over to a cop, let alone talk to a cop.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Lmao

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don’t think the goalposts have moved. I originally asked if doctors were set up to just have you tap or scan your digital insurance card, or if store clerks were set up to just have you tap your digital license to verify your age for booze buying purposes. Nobody answered about the doctor stuff, and I don’t think anyone answered about the age verification either. Either way, you can tell me how things are suppose to work but i can walk into a store today right now and their NFC payment thing “doesn’t work” half the time. Why would I trust my booze buying or insurance needs to something that doesn’t work half the times?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Boris Galerkin posted:

I don’t think the goalposts have moved. I originally asked if doctors were set up to just have you tap or scan your digital insurance card, or if store clerks were set up to just have you tap your digital license to verify your age for booze buying purposes. Nobody answered about the doctor stuff, and I don’t think anyone answered about the age verification either. Either way, you can tell me how things are suppose to work but i can walk into a store today right now and their NFC payment thing “doesn’t work” half the time. Why would I trust my booze buying or insurance needs to something that doesn’t work half the times?

Answer on the doctor stuff, health insurance cards have like, 10-20 digits and a phone number which is relevant for your doctor office staff. They can deal with a photo of the card just fine. The scanning is so they can avoid manually entering the numbers but manually entering takes like 10 seconds. Much prefer to carrying the paper card and have done it for many years.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

I think it’s understood that technically the phone doesn’t need to be handed over. What’s doubted is whether office porkie pie in podunk Ohio is going to give a single gently caress and instead demand to have it handed over.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Y’all realize a cop could force you to unlock your phone at gunpoint even without digital IDs, right?

Just like criminals. Guess we better not keep any personal data, passwords, or credit cards in our phones. :downs:

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Aug 5, 2023

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It’s also incredibly unconstitutional and been challenged in court numerous times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Corb3t posted:

Y’all realize a cop could force you to unlock your phone at gunpoint even without digital IDs, right.

Just like criminals. Guess we better not keep any personal data, passwords, or credit cards in our phones. :downs:

Yes I know all cops are class traitors and an occupying military force, that’s my point.