Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

What's the spider-centaur (spitaur?) thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

A unit we'll meet a couple levels down the line.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

You recall the Nerubians I've been mentioning every so often?

They're on the slate to get a full lore post now that we're into the undead campaign.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

We saw a couple of them at the end of the human campaign once we got to Northrend(both living and undead ones!). It's actually going to be a little bit before we get to them in this campaign, which sucks because they're pretty good.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Rhonne posted:

We saw a couple of them at the end of the human campaign once we got to Northrend(both living and undead ones!). It's actually going to be a little bit before we get to them in this campaign, which sucks because they're pretty good.

Nerubians: the first in a long and ?honorable? tradition of Blizzard having a very interesting idea for a new race, realizing exploring its implications would be a pain in the rear end, and then quietly leaving it to die ignored so they can come up with a new one

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Mal'ganis shaves "worst beard ever," asked to leave the Shadowlands.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

Nerubians: the first in a long and ?honorable? tradition of Blizzard having a very interesting idea for a new race, realizing exploring its implications would be a pain in the rear end, and then quietly leaving it to die ignored so they can come up with a new one

cries in arakkoa

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Szarrukin posted:

cries in arakkoa

Hey, they got brought back once. That's more than most got.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Szarrukin posted:

cries in arakkoa

Considering what happened in WoW to my favorite race in the setting, a fully fledged playable race in this game I'm LPing right now that was made a major playable race in WoW?

You're probably better off this way.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Cythereal posted:

Considering what happened in WoW to my favorite race in the setting, a fully fledged playable race in this game I'm LPing right now that was made a major playable race in WoW?

Didn't know you were such a big Vulpera fan.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
Now I imagined something like "Anzu was a Dreadlord in disguise and Jailer was behind Curse of Sethe" and I think you are right.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Cythereal posted:

Yeah, I can't believe they reduced the naga to 2 bit villains that only feature in a handful of places.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FoolyCharged posted:

Yeah, I can't believe they reduced the naga to 2 bit villains that only feature in a handful of places.

I actually do like the naga. :shobon: I'm a huge sucker for underwater settings and undersea-themed races and factions. Vashj'ir is bar none my favorite zone that WoW has ever made, and I hated how completely Danuser wasted Azshara in BfA.

I seem to have a better head for 3D navigation and orientation than a lot of people, and the exact opposite of thalassophobia, so I've always enjoyed MMOs doing undersea zones and always want more.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
I think the Naga are super cool and I was kind of sad that the DEEP LORE revealed they were all villains from the past who hadn't learned their lesson. I like weird non-human races who aren't just recoloured humans or humans with funny ears/forehead protrusions.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
I've already mentioned that, but Azshara could be a great villain and Blizzard has totally wasted her potential.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Cythereal posted:

I actually do like the naga. :shobon: I'm a huge sucker for underwater settings and undersea-themed races and factions. Vashj'ir is bar none my favorite zone that WoW has ever made, and I hated how completely Danuser wasted Azshara in BfA.

I seem to have a better head for 3D navigation and orientation than a lot of people, and the exact opposite of thalassophobia, so I've always enjoyed MMOs doing undersea zones and always want more.

Naga should have had an entire expansion pack solely for them. Imagine things had been different and those two raids had been blown out to be full expansions of their own which is what many people would have likely wanted and enjoyed (instead Danuser rushed through them to get to his chosen nipple character)

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

AtomikKrab posted:

Naga should have had an entire expansion pack solely for them. Imagine things had been different and those two raids had been blown out to be full expansions of their own which is what many people would have likely wanted and enjoyed (instead Danuser rushed through them to get to his chosen nipple character)

I remember "leaks" about what was supposed to be "Rise of the Naga" expansion with playable Naga, new Tinkerer class, Azshara and N'zoth as main villains and joined Alliance and Horde groups. Instead we got Battle for Azeroth.

Cradok
Sep 28, 2013
Argus, the Naga and the Waking City could all have been their own expansions, but nope we had to have, 'wAr iN WaRcRaFt' and Mister No Shirt No Shoes.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Also, next update may be delayed on account of receiving an invite to Palia closed beta.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Cythereal posted:

Also, next update may be delayed on account of receiving an invite to Palia closed beta.

I misread Palia as Palworld at first, and I was surprised because that's one of the last games I could imagine you playing from your stated tastes. :v:

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

I had to look up Palia since I'd never heard of it, but frankly I don't blame you one bit. I feel tempted by it already.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Szarrukin posted:

I remember "leaks" about what was supposed to be "Rise of the Naga" expansion with playable Naga, new Tinkerer class, Azshara and N'zoth as main villains and joined Alliance and Horde groups. Instead we got Battle for Azeroth.

I am sure there were people that were pushing for it, I am sure it was actually probably a grand plan at the pre nipple man lover era, but then leadership changes and the new boss has to "CHANGE EVERYTHING."

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

disposablewords posted:

I had to look up Palia since I'd never heard of it, but frankly I don't blame you one bit. I feel tempted by it already.

For what it's worth, my feeling is that the game needs a lot more polish before it's ready for release. There's the bones of what could be a solid game here, and the nature of the game averts the time management aspect that drives me away from farming sims in general (Stardew Valley is only playable for me because I got a mod that lets me stop time on command), but there's still plenty of work to be done and I'm fundamentally not convinced the game gains anything by being an MMO.

Ah well, the next update has been recorded and happily my teenage memory didn't play me wrong, I found both secret areas.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Undead 2: Bring Out Your Dead

I can only assume that most death knights who came after the Scourge's defeat are not as demented as Arthas.
Regular death knights still have their souls, Tirion. Arthas did not.
So that's what all this is? Testament to the power of a soul?
Take it from a Guardian of Tirisfal, you don't need to have your soul eaten to be a terrible person. I say this as both a terrible person and as someone who fought terrible people.

Can we not simply raise the remains when we find them?

We've seen these things before, meat wagons. The undead use them as artillery (via launching exploding chunks of meat) and as cargo transports.

Very well, then. Let's move out.

The thread's commented before that Arthas often seems very unimaginative. I think that this is largely the result of Arthas tending to be the audience stand-in, asking questions so the writers can tell the players what they want players to know, but it does seem to be a consistent aspect of his character. Arthas is a very brute force kind of guy, far from unintelligent but relentlessly driven to action and leaving subtlety and academics to others.

Besides their artillery role, this is what meat wagons can also do: pick up corpses from the ground and later drop them off. This has a variety of uses, some obvious (stocking up on meals for ghouls to cannibalize and necromancers to raise) and some less so (denying a high-level paladin units to resurrect with their ultimate).

Launching corpses with catapults was in fact a thing historically. Fans of Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings movies may remember the orcs doing this to demoralize the population of Minas Tirith, but in real life this was also an effective way of spreading pestilence and trying to contaminate areas. That the meat chunks launched by the wagons are apparently stuffed full of high explosives in this game I can only attribute to necromantic magic.

Not unexpectedly, one of the main military forces rallying in Lordaeron is the Knights of the Silver Hand, and the first we meet is Gavinrad the Dire. I talked about him in my lore post on the Knights - for whatever reason, Blizzard decided that this guy was one of the original five paladins, a veteran Stormwind knight and the paladins' chief teacher of new squires. He was called 'the Dire' because of PTSD from the fall of Stormwind leaving him taciturn and gloomy.

As you'd expect after the human campaign, enemy paladins take a lot of killing before they go down, but don't do much damage in return.

Especially as the undead, who tend strongly towards quantity over quality. Ghouls are pound for pound the weakest basic infantry in the game, but also the cheapest.

Told you my death would mean little.
What the... am I hearing ghosts now?

YOU ARE LITERALLY AN UNDEAD REVENANT! WHY WOULD GHOSTS BE A SURPRISE?!

The old problem with fighting the undead. You never really know when you've put them down for good.

Quel'thalas?!
Yes. Only the energies of the high elves' sunwell can bring Kel'thuzad back to life.
Then what must be done?

Two things here. One, there's your answer to 'what happened to KT's body?' He was in fact given a normal burial and no one thought anything of it. Two, Tichondrius is telling the truth here as far as it goes but per later materials he's also pointedly not mentioning the Legion's higher priority in Quel'thalas. He's just dangling a carrot to lead Arthas in the direction the Legion wants.

The Legion, in Warcraft's lore, is actually remarkably generous about rewarding those who serve them well. You genuinely don't get many Faustian pacts in Warcraft, the Legion will in fact normally deliver what they promise if you deliver on your end of the bargain. Most cases of 'demons gently caress over someone making deals with them' in Warcraft lore are actually warlocks pulling a fast one, not the demons themselves.

As you wish.

Until Danuser came along, the general pattern for the Burning Legion was that as a general rule, they only directly lie to people when they're pretending to not be the Legion, most prominently Kil'Jaeden posing as Ner'zhul's wife. Once they reveal themselves, they're usually on the level - they're so confident in the righteousness of their cause and their power that they feel no need to pointlessly gently caress with their allies.

It even plays a part in WoW, in that warlocks have by the present day of Warcraft become widely accepted as part of society and demon summoning is increasingly becoming accepted as a legitimate discipline of magic. Adventuring warlocks played a huge role in Azeroth's survival over the decades and none of them ever went mad, got eaten by one of their demons, or changed sides. Fel magic is fundamentally a natural cosmic force, the primordial cosmic power of chaos.

People on the RP server I used to play on got so goddamn mad when I'd just sit in front of Stormwind Cathedral on my warlock with a demon, explaining to anyone who questioned it that I had a permit to legally practice fel magic.

Now it's base time for the undead, and the undead work differently from the Alliance and Horde.

Starcraft fans will be right at home, though, because the undead combine mechanics from the Protoss and the Zerg. Acolytes open a magic portal that summons in a building on its own and the acolyte can move on to other tasks, just like the Protoss. Buildings aside from gold mines - the undead have to summon an actual building on the mine - and necropoli, their command centers, have to be summoned on blight, tainted ground spread by necropoli and creep colonies ziggurats.

Blight is described in the fluff as a field of necrotic energy that radiates from magical crystals at the heart of necropoli and ziggurats that makes working advanced necromancy much easier. To gather gold, the undead simply station up to five acolytes at a gold mine and they'll stand there and generate gold (fluffed as them directing undead minions inside the mine to gather gold).

Ziggurats are the undead 'food' building, spread blight, and can be upgraded to be the undead turrets. They're described as capacitors and relays for necromantic magic that spread blight and provide the magical energy to sustain undead troops without requiring a necromancer's direct magical effort.

The crypt is the basic unit building for the undead.

Graveyards are the upgrade building and also continually spawn corpses for, among other things, ghouls to cannibalize and necromancers to raise. Note that these upgrades do improve the strength and durability of necromancers' minions.

The Alliance will regularly send small groups to attack, nothing serious.

The slaughterhouse produces more advanced units, only the meat wagon for now though.

Was Kel'Thuzad this much of a smug jerk in your timeline, Isidora?
I never met the man, though I did read the Codex of Damnation that he wrote. He was a brilliant man. Deranged, but brilliant.

There's not much to see if you come south across the river, just Tichondrius killing some villagers for funsies.

To the north lies a small hill with a few creeps who drop another mostly useless stat booster. Take note of this location, though, I'll be back here later.

The rest of the level is a winding but linear path. Ballador the Bright here has never been referenced in WoW (and the Arthas novel gave his lines here to Gavinrad), but in the not-canon-unless-stated-otherwise tabletop RPG that I'll give a more full discussion someday, he's stated to have actually survived this battle and become a lone avenger bent on tracking down Arthas and one day killing him for good.

That's... probably not canon.

The woods behind Ballador's base hide a secret.

Blast through the trees with meat wagons and you'll find the secret pandaren relaxation area that shows you Samwise Didier's first drawing of the pandaren.

Back to the path, we find one of the most generically named paladins of all time. Sage Truthbearer has never been referred to outside of this game, and in the Arthas novel, his lines were also given to Gavinrad.

I don't blame Blizzard for condensing all of these guys into just one dude, personally.

Now, before I finish the mission, I thought I remembered another secret in this level. The answer lies in blasting through the woods north of that hilly creep camp I mentioned, which leads to this winding path.

And a surreal little cutscene.

I NEED MORE BEER!

Lady Moonberry...
I swear this happened! I didn't make this up!

Azeroth be a weird place, mon.

Moving on...

I remember being shocked that this was happening in only the second undead mission. I thought Uther would be the final adversary in Arthas' story.

No dramatic speeches, no grand revelations, just a hurt and angry man facing a demented lunatic.

Also, interesting that someone managed to give Terenas a proper cremation and burial after Arthas killed him.

This fight takes a while, and Uther kills a few ghouls, but level 10 or no he's just a lone hero and is overwhelmed after a few minutes of pounding.

I believe I speak for everyone who played Shadowlands when I punctuate this with a hearty "gently caress you, Steve Danuser."

Tichondrius, of course, is all business.

As is Kel'Thuzad, of a rather different business.

With every update in this campaign we draw closer to a lore post I really am not looking forward to.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Knights of the Living Dead

We're going to talk about Blizzard laziness today, attaching the same name to two thematically linked but very distinctly different concepts because it sounds cool.

Today's subject, death knights.

First-generation death knights are those we've seen during the Second War. Following Doomhammer's coup against Blackhand, he ordered an end to the open use of warlocks within the Horde. The clans complied, but then Gul'dan got the bright idea of taking the souls of warlocks slain during the First War and forcibly implanting them into the corpses of slain Stormwind knights, creating a new order of undead dark mages and cavalry. Doomhammer was not thrilled at this 'You didn't actually say UNDEAD warlocks weren't allowed' display, but death knights proved so useful during the war that he grudgingly permitted their continued use.

The best known death knight of this generation is Teron Gorefiend, once an orc warlock named Teron'Gor. There's been multiple contradictory accounts of how he died and came to be over the years, and I honestly can't tell which is meant to be current: he might have died in the final assault on Stormwind, might have perished fighting the draenei on Draenor, or might have lead a doomed assault on the dwarf city of Ironforge. Either way he was raised as a death knight by Gul'dan as the first death knight, and died about a year later when Turalyon killed him during the Alliance incursion onto Draenor. He came back as a ghost during World of Warcraft and tricked player characters into resurrecting him, at which point he signed on with a dude we'll meet later named Illidan and became an infamous boss in the Black Temple raid. Teron Gorefiend was not a hard fight as long as the players targeted for his unique mechanics knew what to do. As a result, he was generally regarded as a very difficult boss fight.

Though Gorefiend's death line implied that he could come back, all first-generation death knights are believed to have been destroyed in the present day of Warcraft and no more have been created.

Second-generation death knights are the ones in Warcraft 3 and most of the Scourge ones in WoW. Frostmourne was a unique artifact, and Arthas a unique creation, but the Dreadlords created many lesser copies of the runeblade for similar purposes. These cursed blades were imbued with a malign will and magic to attract and then corrupt great warriors, and in the wake of Arthas' fall the Scourge's ranks swelled with one fallen hero (or fallen-further villain) after another. Human paladins, dwarf thanes, elf rangers, and at least one assassin from Alterac all succumbed to these evil blades and brought their fearsome ability with arms and magic to the cause, ability that the runeblades only enhanced. Throughout the Third War, these death knights formed an important part of the Scourge's overall leadership and were entrusted with battlefield commands.

Following the Third War, Arthas organized the training of death knights more thoroughly among the Cult of the Damned. The most martially skilled acolytes in the Cult were subjected to brutal regimes of training and discipline under the watchful eye of veteran death knights from the Third War to find who among the aspirants were worthy to wield a runeblade. Arthas continued the Scourge tradition of using these death knights as the Scourge's foremost generals and bodyguards to other important figures like liches, all held to exacting standards of discipline and performance where punishments for failure were harsh in the extreme. Perhaps the most famous of these death knights was the fallen paladin Alexandros Mograine, known in life as the Ashbringer for his awesome battlefield command of the Light to incinerate entire regiments of the Scourge. It took a dagger in Alexandros' back from his treacherous and ambitious son to finally lay the Ashbringer low, and for a time Alexandros Mograine was seen as the right hand of the Lich King's fury.

Though individually powerful, these death knights were few in number and took years to train (or getting lucky with subverting a hero, but the champions of Azeroth after the Third War had gotten very wise to the danger of talking magic swords), which lead to a new experiment.

Third-generation death knights are the majority of the death knight player characters in WoW. When preparing for a new invasion of the Eastern Kingdoms meant to shatter resistance once and for all, Arthas set out to mass-produce death knights as elite shock troops for the invasion. Rather than carefully selected candidates wielding bespoke runeblades, the Scourge turned to recruiting from their enemies: soldiers and adventurers from across Azeroth who had fought against the Scourge after the Third War and fallen in battle. The Scourge raised these fallen heroes in a ritual intended to wipe their memories and consciousness while retaining their skills at arms and magic, and replacing their previous memories and minds with loyalty to the Lich King and an endless thirst for violence and pain. These new initiates would then be taught to engrave lesser copies of the Scourge's rune magic on any weapon the new death knight happened across, and then hurl themselves into battle.

While the success rate of this ritual was imperfect, the process created enough death knights for Arthas to group them together under the banner of the Knights of the Ebon Blade, intended as a dark mockery of the original Knights of the Silver Hand, and the new generation of death knights were in many respects a success. Though individually far weaker than the previous generation of death knights, the Knights of the Ebon Blade were still a substantial cut above the regular Scourge chaff and were produced in enough numbers to be a very useful addition to the Scourge. Unfortunately for Arthas, the Knights of the Ebon Blade also cultivated comraderie and interpersonal loyalty among their own ranks, including one of Warcraft's most long-standing 'we will neither confirm nor deny the nature of their relationship' ambiguously gay couples in the human Thassarian and the blood elf Koltiras Deathweaver - a bond so strong that other death knights thought it was really weird.

These conflicting loyalties meant that when the leader of the Ebon Blade, Darion Mograine (Alexandros Mograine's treacherous little weasel of a son) broke free of the Lich King's grasp and defected to side with the champions of Azeroth, the overwhelming majority of the Knights of the Ebon Blade went with him, creating the majority of the death knights playable in WoW.

Fourth-generation death knights were created during the Burning Legion's new all-out invasion of Azeroth during the Legion expansion of WoW. By this point in time the Knights of the Ebon Blade had, much like the player warlocks before them, won widespread acceptance among the forces of Azeroth for their heroism. They were still creepy and unsettling, but they played a big part in bringing down the Lich King and had been tireless defenders of Azeroth since. As a result, when the fel poo poo hit the fan, the Ebon Blade went on a recruiting run with the reluctant permission of most of Azeroth. In graveyards and crypts, death knights made an offer to the dead: rise and fight again to defend Azeroth in its hour of need.

This newest generation of death knights is different from their predecessors in that they were never under the Scourge's control, and the Ebon Blade's tutelage for their new recruits is gentle compared to what the original Ebon Blade endured. As a result, the fourth generation of death knights is the most diverse yet as fallen heroes and ancient champions from across Azeroth have risen from their graves to fight for those who yet live. New death knights include not just the original races of WoW, but pandaren, vulpera, Nightborne, Lightforged, and more.

One last thing. The Four Horsemen are the products of a unique ritual known as the Codex of Damnation, a way to create a set of four magically and telepathically linked death knights who share thoughts, power, and even their very life force amongst one another, empowering them all to new heights far beyond the mere sum of their parts. The key to the ritual was creating a stable and self-reinforcing matrix of souls and personalities, not just any death knights would do. The original Four Horsemen were created to serve as the bodyguards of Kel'Thuzad.

Players encountered the original Four Horsemen in Naxxramas, Kel'Thuzad's black citadel from which he commanded the Scourge's operations in Lordaeron. They consisted of the fallen paladin Alexandros Mograine, the Alteraci assassin Lady Blameaux, the dwarf mountain king Thane Korthazz, and the fallen paladin Sir Zeliek, a man whose mind and faith in the Light remained pure but were prisoners within his Scourge-controlled body that now wielded the Light against the players. Despite their power, the Four Horsemen were destroyed and Alexandros Mograine was afterwards freed from undeath and the Scourge's grip by heroes.

The Four Horsemen reconvened when Kel'Thuzad retreated to Northrend to meet Azeroth's invasion, now lead by a fallen nobleman of Lordaeron named Baron Rivendare to replace the departed Alexandros Mograine. This reunion tour fared no better than the first.

Years later, the Knights of the Ebon Blade created a new generation of the Four Horsemen to spearhead the order's battle against the Burning Legion. These new Horsemen were lead by Darion Mograine, son of Alexandros Mograine, and included the fallen orc general Nazgrim; the former High Inquisitor of the Scarlet Crusade, Sally Whitemane; and Thoras Trollbane, King of Stromgarde during the Second War who had been assassinated by his own nephew to seize Stromgarde's throne.

These four remain the leaders of the Knights of the Ebon Blade to this day.

Within this LP, in another timeline the Four Horsemen raised by the Knights of the Ebon Blade were somewhat different in composition, prominently featuring Isidora Turan, King of Stormwind during the First and Second Wars, in the role that Thoras Trollbane filled in the canon timeline.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Darion Mograine (Alexandros Mograine's treacherous little weasel of a son)

I'm pretty sure the murderer was his other son - the one players killed in the Scarlet Monastery (I forgot his name, and can't be bothered to look it up).

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Nostalgamus posted:

I'm pretty sure the murderer was his other son - the one players killed in the Scarlet Monastery (I forgot his name, and can't be bothered to look it up).

Yeah, Renault Mograine is the murderer of Alexandros (and the original Champion of the Scarlet Crusade who served as Whitemane's bodygaurd). He did so specifically for the Ashbringer, fearing the weapon would go to Darion instead of himself when Alexandros died of more natural causes, plus some other trickery from the Legion and Kel'Thuzad.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Nostalgamus posted:

Renault Morgraine, yes. The champion of Sally Whitemane.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Whats wrong with Tichondrius just having a little snack while Arthas does the work and picks up the urn like the intern he is?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

This is it, the greatest line in Warcraft.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
"Your father ruled this land for seventy years and you've ground it to dust in a matter of days" is my favorite line in entire franchise.

JohnKilltrane
Dec 30, 2020

Is it still true that the first gen Death Knights are the WC3 Liches? I know that was the case when WC3 came out but I'm not sure if it's been retconned or not.

Also I'm catching up on this thread, did you ever get the drag-select working for Warcraft 1? Or were you stuck individually clicking units the whole way through?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Lord_Magmar posted:

Yeah, Renault Mograine is the murderer of Alexandros (and the original Champion of the Scarlet Crusade who served as Whitemane's bodygaurd). He did so specifically for the Ashbringer, fearing the weapon would go to Darion instead of himself when Alexandros died of more natural causes, plus some other trickery from the Legion and Kel'Thuzad.

Sigh. My bad.

JohnKilltrane posted:

Is it still true that the first gen Death Knights are the WC3 Liches? I know that was the case when WC3 came out but I'm not sure if it's been retconned or not.

I don't believe this was ever true. First gen death knights are those who died in the First War. The first liches are stated to have been Ner'zhul's loyalist warlocks from the Second War.

quote:

Also I'm catching up on this thread, did you ever get the drag-select working for Warcraft 1? Or were you stuck individually clicking units the whole way through?

I did get it working, yeah. Still a max of four units at a time in WC1, though.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

The whole exchange between Arthas and Uther is great. Arthas has gotten pretty sassy since losing his soul and betraying everything he ever cared for.

Love me some death knights, my main for most of WoW has been a DK. The whole Legion class questline to great too. Funniest running gag of the Four Horsemen recruitment story is Nazgrim getting way to into force choking people.

JohnKilltrane
Dec 30, 2020

Cythereal posted:

I don't believe this was ever true. First gen death knights are those who died in the First War. The first liches are stated to have been Ner'zhul's loyalist warlocks from the Second War.

Warcraft 3 manual says it was both his warlocks and death knights getting corrupted (...further corrupted?) when he did. Not sure if that's since been retconned to be just the warlocks. Also not sure it makes sense since even back in the 90s IIRC the Death Knights never served Ner'zhul directly but just agreed to buddy up with him in exchange for power of their own, but I have been wrong before.

Mostly I just like the idea that a little guy you use to summon Demons in WC1 gets killed and comes back as a little guy you use to nuke everything in WC2 who then gets turned into a slightly larger guy in WC3. I also think it's funny that the Death Knights from WC2 become an Undead hero in WC3, but not the Death Knight hero.

quote:

I did get it working, yeah. Still a max of four units at a time in WC1, though.

Phew, I can't imagine playing through the game without it.

Relatedly, I recently discovered that WC1 was where they first introduced camera hotkeys, of all things. E.g. press Ctrl-F1 and then any time you hit F1 the camera will jump back to wherever it was looking. I thought that was something introduced in, like, StarCraft 2. Turns out it's been around since the beginning.

(Apologies if this is something you've already mentioned like four times and there's been dozens of comments discussing - taking me a while to work through the thread haha).

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

It's probably got a lot more to do with my age when the game played out, but I full heartedly agree.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Tenebrais posted:

That line does in fact go pretty hard.

On my usual Reforged Note... there's nothing really to note here, except one curious line that got removed, though I can suspect why.

Before the Acolyte's explanation of the Meat Wagon's role in temporarily carrying Kel'thuzad's remains, Arthas originally asked "What the hell is that?" as it approached, prompting the explanation. I suppose they figured Arthas wouldn't be confused by it since he'd been dealing with them while fighting the Scourge throughout the human campaign?

The only notable thing that happened to this map otherwise is the 1.33 patch taking a sledgehammer to your gold supply on Hard Mode. Your Gold Mine on this map has a meaty 50,000 gold in it, but it is your ONLY gold mine - and no one else has one you can steal. In Hard difficulty, that gold Mine gets shrunk to a mere 20,000. Less than half of what you have available on Normal or Story mode. You need to make your strikes against the Paladins count.

ChaosDragon
Jul 13, 2014
Who had the time and opportunity to bury Terenas?

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

People who came not to praise him I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

ChaosDragon posted:

Who had the time and opportunity to bury Terenas?
I'd imagine that with how much trouble just one undead royal is causing, the court probably expedited his cremation an interment into some sort of stasis vessel to prevent him from getting up.