Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Book-readers, did the books do this whole "computers are haram"/"spacers" proto-Dune stuff?
It was a future written in a time before computers. It never made sense. Later awkward attempts to explain it were very inconsistent. Foundation just takes place in a future where humans settle the whole galaxy, because Asimov could imagine that, but without computers, because it was the 40s and he could not imagine that. "Atomics" are the pinnacle of material technology in the original Foundation trilogy, though social sciences/math have some pretty fantastical extrapolations in psychohistory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

DaveKap posted:

Latest episode: "Don't walk that way, I took a dump over there," killed me. The nonplussed way that 4th dude enters the vault and is just like "I let someone else be in charge" with absolutely no "you've been in here for hours and I got worried about my daughter" and no "let's try to go back out, get a rope, make sure we have supplies, and make sure nobody is worried about how long it's taking us to be in here" is just.... hilarious. I love that the show isn't wasting time and getting on with it and instead of feeling like I have to ask "why aren't they taking precautions?" I feel way more like I'm watching Hitchhiker's Guide and just having fun. The dialog is brilliant throughout and for a wonderful episode that is missing the worst part of the show, Gaal and Salvor, I actually wondered out loud "...I wonder what Gaal and Salvor are up to." This show feels well and truly saved.

Constant being adorably horny was also some chef's kiss character development. Nothing about it felt forced. Really well done acting and writing. Just... fantastic.

Both monks (and Hober Mallow) make me wish these were the main protagonists instead of Gaal and Salvor. There is just so much more going on with them and they actually have some charisma and character on screen.
It would have been a challenge to have them in S1 and I understand why a character like Gaal was needed to introduce Seldon but it feels like the concept of both (Gaal and Hardin) is so weighted down by the whole "chosen one" trope that it made them so generic and based on that they also picked the most generic casting and why do so many shows struggle with female protagonists that much, especially in SciFi/Fantasy?
I'm just reliaved we get Constant now who has actually something to her because I'm really getting tired of writers creating blank, risk free female "heroes" and without positive example I'd sound like a typical gamergate degenerate so thank god for Constant (and yes she is already my favorite character right next to Empire and it's certainly not easy to compete with Lee Pace's overwhelming charisma).
Side note: A female character that is confident in expressing her own sexuality/desire without making it forced/awkward in my SciFi and she is also an active character instead of things just happening to her? Holy s... the writer's of this show just confuse me. How do we get Empire and her and then some of the other stuff...

The sad part is that there wasn't any need for a lot of the bad stuff and that they wasted far too much time on the VERY early Foundation. Everything meaningful, ie getting the whole premise across, introducing characters and the central conflict was done after Ep2, everything else was a bad (newly invented) storyline and forcng our two "heroes" into the future.
In S1 I actually thought that Gaal exists because they wouldn't keep Jared Harris around or at least that he wouldn't be around enough to carry the story so we get Gaal instead of him. I could understand that but now Harris is not just around, he is literally everywhere in the story (talk about a departure from the books).

But okay, we get Gaal to have a younger, female character and don't just follow around an old dude surrounded by other dudes, I get that. What I don't get is why we needed Hardin on top of that, she is literally a "copy" of that character (a daughter in the story but a cloned character in its functionality). Constant now highlights that she (or a character like her) would have been a far better choice to have an audience surrogate on the Foundation side. The recent episodes even sets up a "relationship" between Seldon and Constant. She had more chemistry with Seldon than Gaal in all episodes together...

I feel like we now have three characters (Gaal, Hardin, Constant) that should have been one, at least as "focus" of the story. Constant even feels like a "fix" to the problem the writers have created for themselves, ie removing Gaal AND Hardin from the Foundation side of the story.
All of this because they are obviously using those two for the whole Second Foundation plot but I don't know why they wanted to introduce that so early or why they thought our main protagonists should be involved there from the beginning and I don't get why Gaal AND Hardin are needed if you also have Seldon around all the time.
You could cut Hardin completely from the story and NOTHING would be missed, that includes her enemy/villain from S1, it literally had no impact on anything, it was just a generic crises that could have been anything else with any other character. They will obviously come up with a "reason" for Hardin to exist and have her do SOMETHING but it just doesn't feel organic or neccessary to me (the whole Gaal/Hardin setup is super contrived to begin with).

I think a lot of S1 could have been a quick prelude to what is now happening in S2, ie condense S1 into 2 eps and then start with what you are doing now. Imo using the whole of S1 just as "flashbacks" would probably have been better from a storytelling perspective, especially considering that you got monks who could reminiscent / tell the story about Empire and how the Foundation came to be (Seldon in the Vault could have been another device for exposition etc.). It would have been the perfect framing device and made all the heavy exposition less awkward because them explaining all the "obvious" stuff makes a lot more sense (and Asimov had the right instinct not to start his Foundation series with the "boring" prelude...).

Now I really wonder if they even had future seasons planned out (and I don't mean the exact details of everything/every ep but a general structure). That the prime radiant is now a super AI(?) for example seems like something they just came up with after last season and not something that was set up or even hinted at in S1, I certainly don't remember anything that could make the prime radiant suddenly a conscious machine or a supercomputer in a "state of superposition" (lol, you'd think that would have been worth mentioning in S1 huh?) or whatever else they are going for.

LinkesAuge fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Aug 5, 2023

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
The pretentiousness is comical.

"Attraction is irrelevant to human history. It only matters on the scale of the human heart." *violins*

Truly profound and incidentally also true of the history of turtles or Walmart.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Okay, yes, that was pretentious, but then we also got wonderful and silly jokes, like “How long was in there?”, “We’ve been waiting two years!”.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Owling Howl posted:

"Attraction is irrelevant to human history. It only matters on the scale of the human heart." *violins*

They really need to do away with Gaal's awful openers/closers.

Also someone else mentioned it but the Dominion queen's acting is really wild. I thought her character's bad-acting with Dawn was done on purpose - like the character was supposed to be doing a bad job of acting, leading to her shedding a tear in the middle of a serious discussion without outright crying - to show the audience how poorly Dawn is doing at reading the subterfuge of her body language. If this was the case, then the actual actress did a great job and the portrayal is not a failure of the actress. I'm still not certain this isn't the case but I'm also not certain wtf the exact plot is here. She says "best assassins" as though she hired them but is also insisting on figuring out the truth behind whether or not Empire killed her family... meaning she set up the hit before knowing any real truth? Seems a little too "shoot first, ask questions later" and it's hard to know what she gets out of doing it. It's not like Dominion would have immediately taken over Empire's domain. Hopefully whatever happens with this plot, it eventually makes sense.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

LinkesAuge posted:

In S1 I actually thought that Gaal exists because they wouldn't keep Jared Harris around or at least that he wouldn't be around enough to carry the story so we get Gaal instead of him. I could understand that but now Harris is not just around, he is literally everywhere in the story (talk about a departure from the books).

But okay, we get Gaal to have a younger, female character and don't just follow around an old dude surrounded by other dudes, I get that. What I don't get is why we needed Hardin on top of that, she is literally a "copy" of that character (a daughter in the story but a cloned character in its functionality).

The three of them are part of the show's themes about legacy / continuance. The generational struggle of Hari/Gaal/Salvor act as counterpoint to Dusk/Day/Dawn's stasis.

This season's also positioning Gaal as the interlocutor between an increasingly fraught relationship between Hari and Salvor, who seem ideologically opposed in terms of the effect of history on the little people and the value of life, etc. I don't think Salvor's side would be remotely compelling without having watched her struggle with being a small cog in a big machine.

It also helps add weight to Gaal's ambivalence. Gaal is, in fact, relatively younger than her biological daughter, and so Salvor doesn't seem to be condescending to her mother when she makes arguments about her entrenched faith in Foundation or Hari or "the math" or whatever. We've seen Salvor gather than experience over the course of a season, where all we've seen Gaal do is get repeatedly manipulated in a series of small rooms.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending some of this material (particularly not the material from the first season) but these characters do, ultimately, seem to be developing various different thematic points and serve multiple utilities.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Just from the show story prospective not paying any attention to the book, I think the show needs to build up a bigger conflict between the Cleons empire and the foundation.

Right now you get the Cleons talk about the foundation on a throwaway dialogue once in a while, and then they go back to their local conflicts. That's not enough IMO. Lee Pace needs to be obsessed with Seldon and hate yelling his name during sex or something.

If this show wants to stand up on its own, it needs to get its own central premise straight.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Obviously they need a musical episode now.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Yeah, better leave the muppet episode to season 3

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
This was the first episode without Day where I wasn't asking "where's Day?" It still isn't what I want from a Foundation adaptation but it's miles ahead of where it was last season and overall enjoyable instead of 50% miserable. They've really reduced the time spent on pointless action scenes down to just a couple minutes which helps a lot too.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

Just from the show story prospective not paying any attention to the book, I think the show needs to build up a bigger conflict between the Cleons empire and the foundation.

Right now you get the Cleons talk about the foundation on a throwaway dialogue once in a while, and then they go back to their local conflicts. That's not enough IMO. Lee Pace needs to be obsessed with Seldon and hate yelling his name during sex or something.

If this show wants to stand up on its own, it needs to get its own central premise straight.
Eh, this show has a bunch of issues, but I do not think the slow burn conflict is one of them. Empire being shaken by Hari in season one, but otherwise establishing each opposing pole on their own was a solid structural choice. The actual stories were meh, but the idea was sound.

This season being about the asymmetry of the conflict is really good. Foundation is desperately trying to create a military and political situation where they can survive against Empire, while Empire is just barely aware that there's an issue, and otherwise is consumed by normal dramatic court nonsense. That's great, because there's going to be an "oh poo poo" moment when Empire realizes how hosed it is. We're already getting a preview of that with the gay soldier adventures as they just cannot believe what the Foundation can do already.

Basically if Empire knew about and cared about Foundation as its top priority and couldn't just easily strangle it in its crib, that'd make Empire look really pathetic. It's a much better narrative for Empire to be caught off guard.

DaveKap posted:

She says "best assassins" as though she hired them but is also insisting on figuring out the truth behind whether or not Empire killed her family... meaning she set up the hit before knowing any real truth? Seems a little too "shoot first, ask questions later" and it's hard to know what she gets out of doing it. It's not like Dominion would have immediately taken over Empire's domain. Hopefully whatever happens with this plot, it eventually makes sense.
Well, that's kind of the implication, but that's not necessarily what that means. She knows more about the assassination attempt than she's letting on, but it could just have been a thing she was aware of and didn't stop, rather than her determining to kill the guy and investigate after.

I also get the impression that she's pretty sure it was him and part of her investigation is to just get evidence and maybe make sure Brother Dawn had nothing to do with it if she has plans for him.

Owling Howl posted:

That's Psychohistory, baby!

And I think it's pretty clear that all the scenarios being set up in this episode are deliberately challenging that concept. Every individual is vanishingly improbable. Psychohistory only cares about general probabilities. And yet particular individuals sure seem to be making decisions that matter. That's a totally fair thing for a show nominally about Psychohistory to be a bit pretentious about. It's pretty bluntly stating "you should probably be thinking about this."

Speaking of the show asking us to actually think about things- I really appreciate how Poly called out Hari melting that guy. Hari cheerfully gave a reassuring and plausible reason, but you could tell it really disturbed Polly. Even in his religious capacity he doesn't worship Hari. To him Hari is a force for rationality and good. His reasons for melting someone seemed to really shatter what Poly valued. And that was all conveyed just with context and the actor's expression. It was very well done.

All the Foundation-side characters are fantastic this season. A very welcome change.

wibble
May 20, 2001
Meep meep
Jared Harris is a national treasure and should be protected at all costs!

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

I don't know if anyone's mentioned this but i feel that the swirly cube thing is pretty accurate for high level mathematics. I remember reading through proof theory, lambda calc and Kolmogrov's set theory when I was on the way to college and basically the key to understanding it was visualising mentally what all the bits did. As time went on I got like, better at visualising more complex rube goldberg formulas

So obviously by season 2 the prime radiant is doing more than that but i like the idea of it just being like a visual representation of all the poo poo thats going on in your head

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

The three of them are part of the show's themes about legacy / continuance. The generational struggle of Hari/Gaal/Salvor act as counterpoint to Dusk/Day/Dawn's stasis.

This season's also positioning Gaal as the interlocutor between an increasingly fraught relationship between Hari and Salvor, who seem ideologically opposed in terms of the effect of history on the little people and the value of life, etc. I don't think Salvor's side would be remotely compelling without having watched her struggle with being a small cog in a big machine.

It also helps add weight to Gaal's ambivalence. Gaal is, in fact, relatively younger than her biological daughter, and so Salvor doesn't seem to be condescending to her mother when she makes arguments about her entrenched faith in Foundation or Hari or "the math" or whatever. We've seen Salvor gather than experience over the course of a season, where all we've seen Gaal do is get repeatedly manipulated in a series of small rooms.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending some of this material (particularly not the material from the first season) but these characters do, ultimately, seem to be developing various different thematic points and serve multiple utilities.

Oh I will absolutely acknowledge that they are trying to do something with Gaal and Salvor but it wasn't properly set up in S1 and I also don't think that these themes and conflicts are particularly strong or interesting (at least in how they are depicted).
You name the generational struggle but I don't buy that because Salvor and Gaal are in an ACTUAL stasis while Empire has at least its own experiences in each generation AND we now have their genetic drift.
Empire is of course a very literal metaphor for how the system, the "real" empire, is in decline (and has been before because it doesn't change/adapt) and has to be "fixed" or will be destroyed (genetic "death") but in a weird way we might have seen more "growth" from Empire than from Gaal/Salvor, at least in some way if you consider Dawn's plot/"rebellion" (I mean that would be some great irony, I just don't know if that's intentional).

I also don't see Seldon in this whole theme of generations because his personal age/generation doesn't really matter. Seldor is more of a "revolutionary" than Gaal/Salvor (and revolutions/revolutionaries represent generational conflict, there is a reason why we associate "young(er)" people with it and why even in actual history they are often carried out by younger leaders), he is the one who questions the status quo and literally creates a movement that's directed towards the future(!). So for me the struggle between him and Gaal/Salvor isn't generational, it's ideological (how Seldon sees the world vs how they do). For all intents and purposes Seldon could be Gaal's brother and the nature of the conflict wouldn't change (his age is never made relevant outside of following certain tropes of the wise mentor etc. and he also isn't "disconnected" from the real world or shown as a relict of another time, for the most part it is Gaal who doesn't have an idea about how the "real" world looks/works, not to mention that she is the one who wants to run from any radical change and returns to her home/clings to that past). I think the only reason Seldon is "old" in the books is due to the fact that he is somewhat of a self-insert for Asimov and doesn't really matter to the story outside of being the face for psychohistory (another good reason for his age in the books is his role later on as "religious" figure with a "godlike" image, I mean we usually associate "old (white) men" as "god" so that's certainly a factor).
I also don't think that Salvor or her experience has given us any insight which wouldn't have been possible with Gaal or any other character. Gaal is already portrayed as a "small cog" (naive, young girl from a remote world) who is getting manipulated by bigger forces/events (Seldon/psychohistory).

So my point isn't that you should have given up what they tried to do with Salvor, it's more so that it wasn't don't well and that Salvor itself wasn't really needed for it. Also consider that Salvor in S1 is actually a very proactive character, she isn't pushed around or just follows bigger events, she actually shaped them with her own actions so I can't even say that the whole "small cog in a big machine" part works for Salvor. She was already someone with huge power/influence in the Foundation, gets "superpowers" through the writers (and I think that's another issue for me, it undermines that message if you want to go for "perspective" from small/regular people) and is connected through direct blood to Gaal (Psychohistory).
That not only makes the whole universe look smaller, it feels closer to her being the one who controls the machine and Gaal has a similar problem and I dread what their actual role is later on in the story. It's all but guaranteed that they will be more than just a cog, I mean that's already a given considering their abilities and they won't be written out of the story so they will very directly impact the end/conclusion of the story which is also at odds with the generational angle because by then they will have changed less than Empire (thematically its also a bit weird to have related characters, ie a "dynasty" be the opposition of Empire).
It's also why I don't like the more personal relationship between Seldon and them. Does it make for easier storytelling on TV? Of course but it also runs in opposition to some of the interesting aspects/themes of the whole Foundation/psychohistory concept. It makes it a personalized issue instead of looking at the broader implications: Salvor is more worried about the "man" than psychohistory itself, the conflict is about Seldon as person and how he can't be trusted, less about psychohistory itself which is mostly treated as your typical fantasy prophecy. I mean we now have people acting in the name of the Foundation/Psychohistory that are personally "anointed" by our god (emperor) Seldon. That goes so much against the whole basic premise of Psychohistory that it really bothers me.

There is a reason why the books didn't have a classical protagonist thoughout the whole story AND why the story didn't start with Seldon (and didn't make him a real character later on) but threw us in the middle of the whole thing and is imo the reason why the monk part of S2 already feels so much better because it's basically another version of what the books did. Constant's interactions with the "myth" of Seldon feel like a much better place from where you can (critically) explore Psychohistory, especially because you have that whole "religion" angle already built in and it isn't just about personal relationships being difficult, it's (potentially) about your whole belief system being shattered and while the relationship between Seldon and Gaal has been one of peers, maybe not socially but certainly intellectually, there was conflict from the very beginning (Gaal is a prime example for the reluctant hero, there is conflict but we all know it's superficial).
That conflict is now shifted onto Salvor, ie Salvor now has to be the "opposition" to Seldon (because she needs something to do) and imo that makes Gaal less complex because instead of having an internal conflict in herself, it's now Salvor playing good/bad (depending on your interpretation) angle on Gaal's shoulder.
So Salvor now exists just for Gaal, she is literally her whole universe (she doesn't have any other relationships, clear goals, an ideology or anything else).
It's also worth mentioning that the whole "generational" aspect is also already better reflected in Constant and brother Poly Verisof. Here we have a character that saw the mythical Seldon as a child and then in contrast there is a character from an actual different generation who only knows Seldon as a "myth"/historical or religious figure AND these characters act and live within the Foundation, the organisation which is supposed to be the actual mirror (thematically) to the Empire.
Gaal on the other hand doesn't have anything to do with the Foundation and Salvor barerly represents the "baby phase" of the Foundation (not to mention that Salvor has been used as the "fist" of the Foundation the whole time in S1, she isn't the idealistic representation of the Foundation, she actually fought enemies of Empire more than doing "Foundation stuff").

Talking about the Foundation... even with our two brothers its still a weakness of the show. We have spent a lot of time to show what Empire is/represents but that's just not the case with the Foundation. What we see resolves about personal issues and often a very cynical depiction of Foundation members. TV show viewers might even wonder what redeeming qualities the Foundation has because it seems to be full of a-holes every time we see an "offical" and I get what its supposed to show but for that to work you first have to establish the Foundation as something "positive"/competent before you go on and do all the "look at the corruption and issues that arise" part (or else you are going to ask why all our of protagonists are trying to save it). That's why I also really don't like Seldon just killing a smug politician and the whole excuse he gave for it, it's what Empire would do and if you want a better society you have to set a better standard than being a revengeful god so not buying that even if the writers think its cool (and once again I don't like making Psychohistory about the person that Seldon was/is and I feel it will muddle the message or whatever they are trying to say).
So I'd appreciate if there was a bit more subtlety for characters and potential conflicts within the Foundation. So far any antagonists within the Foundation are comically one-dimensional and to such a degree that it reflects poorly on the whole organisation and it doesn't give you a feeling of "yeah, that's the kind of society that would totally be different than all the other ones including Empire".
The show does use the technological innovations and competence the Foundation has in its plot but that's only used as a story gimmick so far but it should tell you a lot more about the ideals of the Foundation and how it works as a society, something that should be shown/communicated on screen AND should impact our characters in a meaningful way (Constant and Verisof were at least a good start here).

PS: Just wanted to add that I appreciate your reply and my "rant" isn't directed at you, I just used your post as staging point for some more of my thoughts (and I hope noone is bothered by my wall of text/ramblings).

LinkesAuge fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Aug 6, 2023

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Speaking of age (see below) I wonder if we're meant to wonder if FTL travel has eroded some of the sexual taboos concerning age -- Bel Rios' husband seems a fair bit younger than him, and there's the subplot concerning Brother Dusk and that ex-concubine from Dominion. (A friend suggested that she, like Poly, turned up in the first season played by a different actor, but I can't work out where.)

LinkesAuge posted:

PS: Just wanted to add that I appreciate your reply and my "rant" isn't directed at you, I just used your post as staging point for some more of my thoughts (and I hope noone is bothered by my wall of text/ramblings).

Oh no wakkas, no harm no foul.

In terms of your arguments, I'm not familiar with the Foundation books and I doubt I'll get around to reading them any time soon, so I really can't respond in those terms. (I also, personally, find fidelity criticism to be pretty much solved as a line of inquiry so I'm not going to be able to engage with your arguments on that level anyway -- which is to say, I probably won't be able to offer you much in the way of a rewarding discussion.) But I'm absolutely happy to talk about the show.

When I'm talking about Hari/Gaal/Salvor being intergenerational conflict, I mean by virtue of each representing a different facet of an idea that's been transmitted across generational divides, while also each being a different branch of a gnarled generational lineage. Hari is Gaal's mentor and pseudo-father-in-law, Gaal and Salvor are biologically and psychically entangled. So yeah, it's both ideological and temporal/generational.

So I'm not making the argument that either Gaal or Salvor have experienced much growth individually (though I think both have changed since their introduction) so much as Salvor represents a step along the path from Gaal's thinking. So Salvor mounting a more effective rebellion against generationally entrenched lines of thought works within this framework; certainly when compared with Gaal's repeated failures throughout the first season to achieve meaningful change e.g. her planet.

It's all a bit woolly, for reasons that you and others have acknowledged, but the show's a flawed pulp fiction piece whose considerable ambitions outreach its grasp, and I'm willing to meet it half way on its ideas -- e.g. Gaal and Salvor's magical genetic memory reads as an attempt to shore up a connection between two characters that, otherwise, don't have a particularly compelling dramatic bond. But I'm willing to forgive that because the show's just, frankly, bug wild.

LinkesAuge posted:

Talking about the Foundation...

I dunno, it works for me. It might just because I had a crush on Oliver Chris back during his Green Wing days, but I think they're implying there's more nuance to him than there first appears. e.g. him being too cowardly to enter the monument but then suddenly turning up a few seconds later. They're holding a lot about the character back at this point, and I'd be surprised if they didn't have him and his husband share scenes with Bel Rios and his, respective, husband some time this season. They seem to be character foils for each other; the arseholes who are working for good, and the nice couple who are war crimey. So no, I don't read the entire leadership structure as antagonists, so much as humanly flawed. The season's "real" villain, is still, IMO, Bel Rios.

In terms of their overall morality... I'd argue that the brothers exist to, in part, demonstrate why Foundation's ideology is still worth saving despite their organisation's conceptual drift. But they're probably also doomed, as seems to be the entire "first" Foundation -- e.g. Constant was giving me incredible death flags this episode. Hari's saving the galaxy, sure, but he'll hurt people along the way. Reach for the stars by climbing up a pile of corpses. That's his good.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Is the winged creature that the monk was riding around the organic computer that does the FTL calculations for their ship?

Snowmanatee
Jun 6, 2003

Stereoscopic Suffocation!

Open Source Idiom posted:

(A friend suggested that she, like Poly, turned up in the first season played by a different actor, but I can't work out where.)

Nah, Dusk in Season 2 is Cleon XVI, and in season 1 the last one we saw was colour-blind Dawn Cleon XIV (so there's one that the show skipped over entirely). If she was in the first season as a child or young concubine she'd have been like 110 years old by the time she hooked up with Dusk.

Snowmanatee fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Aug 9, 2023

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

When this series started I heard it was very bad. Did it end up becoming good? I read the first Foundation book and have been meaning to go back and finish the trilogy for some time, was thinking of giving this a whirl to see if it piques my interest enough to do so.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The first season was comically bad but I guess the second season has picked up a bit?

I don’t regret watching the first season but I won’t pretend it was real good or anything.

It’s also pretty much nothing like the books

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Tosk posted:

When this series started I heard it was very bad. Did it end up becoming good? I read the first Foundation book and have been meaning to go back and finish the trilogy for some time, was thinking of giving this a whirl to see if it piques my interest enough to do so.
I never read the books, the first season started strong but took a nose dive and ended with a shruggy whimper. The second season is 4/10 eps in and has been very entertaining so far. Whether it's worth watching is debatable and I wouldn't really say for sure until we've hit the end of the second season. That said, however, if you're just looking for some (currently releasing) futuristic space sci-fi to watch and can't stand Trek, this is about all you got. I think it's starting to feel like a soft mix of Raised by Wolves and Hitchhiker's Guide.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Episode 4 S2 is the one that's felt the best so far. Even the 'good' S1 eps had some kind of crap in them that made them less than they should have been.

It's amusing to me reading into the 'best assassins' line. Who else would anyone send against Day?

Justin Credible fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Aug 9, 2023

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Haha true. When you send someone to kill the leader of the entire galaxy you don't try to save a few bucks.

Snowmanatee
Jun 6, 2003

Stereoscopic Suffocation!
The half of the show set on Trantor in Season 1 was always fantastic.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Cleons are good fun and the Party Monks are a fine addition

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Party monks are better than Gaal and Salvor.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Individually better than both G&S combined.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Resdfru posted:

Fair enough. Obviously I think (potentially) spoiling the show because lol it's dumb anyways is lame but if I'm in the minority then so be it.
I don't give a poo poo about spoilers, but it does often annoy me that people insist on discussing source material in threads specifically about adaptations, just because it's not what I came to talk about.

stephenthinkpad posted:

Also how did Jared Harris go from a real body in E3 to whatever he is here? A matrix construct?
Magic.

Penitent posted:

Something I am unclear about is the level of technology Hari used to initially set up the whole plan.
They've been (intentionally) extremely vague about technology outside of a few specific examples.

DaveKap posted:

The nonplussed way that 4th dude enters the vault and is just like "I let someone else be in charge" with absolutely no "you've been in here for hours and I got worried about my daughter" and no "let's try to go back out, get a rope, make sure we have supplies, and make sure nobody is worried about how long it's taking us to be in here" is just.... hilarious.
The time difference went the other way. It should have been way, way longer for the people inside than the people outside; Hober was in there for two days in the brief time it took for Constance and Poly to follow him. Kind of implies that Sermak basically pointed at someone, yelled "you're in charge now" and sprinted in after them. :roflolmao:

Eiba posted:

It was a future written in a time before computers. It never made sense. Later awkward attempts to explain it were very inconsistent. Foundation just takes place in a future where humans settle the whole galaxy, because Asimov could imagine that, but without computers, because it was the 40s and he could not imagine that. "Atomics" are the pinnacle of material technology in the original Foundation trilogy, though social sciences/math have some pretty fantastical extrapolations in psychohistory.
I think it's the first Foundation book where there's a little section on this amazing new piece of technology that is a 3D space map. A character is marvelling over the fact that you can see the locations of stars relative to each other, which just reminded me, when I read it, of Universe Sandbox. :haw:

Mr. Apollo posted:

Is the winged creature that the monk was riding around the organic computer that does the FTL calculations for their ship?
That was my assumption but I don't think they actually said so.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Eiba posted:

That's Psychohistory, baby!

And I think it's pretty clear that all the scenarios being set up in this episode are deliberately challenging that concept. Every individual is vanishingly improbable. Psychohistory only cares about general probabilities. And yet particular individuals sure seem to be making decisions that matter. That's a totally fair thing for a show nominally about Psychohistory to be a bit pretentious about. It's pretty bluntly stating "you should probably be thinking about this."

I don't think it's a compelling or interesting theme but that's obviously personal preference. Maybe the show is targeted at a different demographic - I suppose it might be more interesting when you are coming of age and struggling to find your place in the world?

To me it's just obvious - the college that accepts you or the company that hires you does not give a poo poo if you get to hang you with your crush. Yeah obviously. Treating it like an existential crisis is silly when it's a fact of life for literally every human regardless of psychohistory.

I think the writers basically wanted the superhero characters around whom everything revolves but that ran counter to the premise of the books so instead they made that conflict a theme.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Tiggum posted:

The time difference went the other way. It should have been way, way longer for the people inside than the people outside; Hober was in there for two days in the brief time it took for Constance and Poly to follow him. Kind of implies that Sermak basically pointed at someone, yelled "you're in charge now" and sprinted in after them. :roflolmao:

The other crazy thing is the massive time difference of ~2 minutes outside is 2 days inside would also imply Hari has been in there for tens of thousands of years now, maybe over 100k years even.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

I just realised during a rewatch with the folks that Hari Seldon went into the mountain thingy as a computer and came out a human, but that doesnt imply its the same seldon. So now there could be THREE seldons.

Oops! All Seldons!

It's Seldon all the way down

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Alao I started reading Foundation and the section with Dornick at the start is hilarious. Asimov could imagine a city so big it becomes the planet, using the temperature differential between the surface and the core to create energy, elevators that use gravitational hoohar to work, and tickets that glow depending on if you're going in the right direction.

But he could not imagine elevators without an operator

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

alexandriao posted:

Alao I started reading Foundation and the section with Dornick at the start is hilarious. Asimov could imagine a city so big it becomes the planet, using the temperature differential between the surface and the core to create energy, elevators that use gravitational hoohar to work, and tickets that glow depending on if you're going in the right direction.

But he could not imagine elevators without an operator

Blame the elevator operators union

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

alexandriao posted:

I just realised during a rewatch with the folks that Hari Seldon went into the mountain thingy as a computer and came out a human, but that doesnt imply its the same seldon. So now there could be THREE seldons.

Oops! All Seldons!

It's Seldon all the way down

They are setting up the 5 Jered Harris variants vs 5 Lee Pace variants award winning season 3.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
this show is so loving funny, but not in a funny ha ha way

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Latest episode was less interesting and it's entirely because of the lack of party priests.

Day not knowing wtf he was doing in bed was hilarious.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Demerzel’s little gently caress wink to Cleon was pretty great.

Lee Pace continues to be great.

It’s good to have more Jarred Harris on screen.

Whichever shop is responsible for the CGI, they’re doing a top notch job. Even little shots are super sharp and detailed.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

lmao at the goddess calling out O'le Hairy Seldon for speaking over Gaal and Salvor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I am still annoyed that this show gets so much Jared Harris and The Expanse got so little.