Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

a_gelatinous_cube posted:

DS3 was fulling Fromsoft buying into the DARKSOULS IS HARD PREPARE TO DIE memes and full of bullshit fakeout attacks and non-stop attack strings with no openings. Every year I get closer to thinking the actual best Dark Souls game was DS2. The Fume Knight is the pinnacle of Dark Souls boss fights mechanics-wise.

DS3 was trying to Bloodborne Souls with enemy aggression, but without giving the player the Hunter's agility and rally, so it felt wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

. Every year I get closer to thinking the actual best Dark Souls game was DS2. The Fume Knight is the pinnacle of Dark Souls boss fights mechanics-wise.

Fume knight tricked me so many times with that slow long swipe. Great boss!

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Archenteron posted:

DS3 was trying to Bloodborne Souls with enemy aggression, but without giving the player the Hunter's agility and rally, so it felt wrong.

That's exactly it, a chunk of enemies have wild blender attacks that every time I see them, makes them feel like an escaped Bloodborne enemy.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

DS3 was fulling Fromsoft buying into the DARKSOULS IS HARD PREPARE TO DIE memes and full of bullshit fakeout attacks and non-stop attack strings with no openings. Every year I get closer to thinking the actual best Dark Souls game was DS2. The Fume Knight is the pinnacle of Dark Souls boss fights mechanics-wise.

Yeah the game that opens with screaming at you about how much you'll die with the first achievement being This Is le heckin Dark Souls when you die for the first time definitely has more bushido honor than DS3 or whatever you want to call this new DS2 copium

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

all of the dark souls games are good

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Perfect Potato posted:

Yeah the game that opens with screaming at you about how much you'll die with the first achievement being This Is le heckin Dark Souls when you die for the first time definitely has more bushido honor than DS3 or whatever you want to call this new DS2 copium

This poster heard a speech about meaning and knowing being fleeting things we are meant to search for in life even as elusive as they are and didn't understand it. shameful

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 5, 2023

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Perfect Potato posted:

Is this illness

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Dark Souls 1 has extra unique features that tell you when other players are making progress, like hearing the bells ringing. Dark Souls 2 has a giant monument to failure in the hub zone.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Fume Knight is good but Gael puts him to shame

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

studio mujahideen posted:

all of the dark souls games are good

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

From DeS through to Elden Ring, they're all good, though best at different things

except Sekiro, gently caress that piece of poo poo

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Sekiro owns, getting the lightning parry makes you feel like a god, Shinobi Tools are one of the better ways to do Castlevania-style sub-weapons in a game.

It is, admittedly, really loving hard.

Monathin fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Aug 6, 2023

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Rody One Half posted:

From DeS through to Elden Ring, they're all good, though best at different things

except Sekiro, gently caress that piece of poo poo

Hesitant poster detected

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sekiro and Bloodborne are the biggest Ls in the Dark Souls series

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

sorry i shouldve been clear:

all of the dark souls games are good, and sekiro and bloodborne are better

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Bloodborne owns, it doesn't deserve to have Sekiro attached to it

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

the best dark souls is echo night 2: the lord of nightmares

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

studio mujahideen posted:

sorry i shouldve been clear:

all of the dark souls games are good, and sekiro and bloodborne are better

It's this. And elden ring is included in the first grouping.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

The Surge and Remnant were both better than Dark Souls 3. :colbert:

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

The Surge and Remnant were both better than Dark Souls 3. :colbert:

Haven't played Remnant, but nah at Surge

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Surge 1 and 2 were both fun as hell.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I don't see why it doesn't.

Okay maybe it can work, but it has to be the interesting kind of mastery not what uh. Pat does with foreknowledge.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

As long as we can all agree that Mortal Shell is fuckin' garbage.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I fell off Surge 1 pretty hard. I want to like the aesthetic and vibe, but the combat just wasn't there for me.

It was probably just a biproduct of having 2 Souls games under my belt at the time, but in memory, 3 almost felt easier then the previous two. Just pancake everything with a UGS.

Wheresas I feel like my memory of Fume Knight was like "oh this guy wont give me a break and has hitboxes the size of loving texas" but honestly, I barely loving remember that part of DS2.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Aug 6, 2023

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Vandar posted:

As long as we can all agree that Mortal Shell is fuckin' garbage.

I didn't hate it, but it just felt like a ton of wasted potential. Also really really short for a Soulslike.

Oxyclean posted:

I fell off Surge 1 pretty hard. I want to like the aesthetic and vibe, but the combat just wasn't there for me.

Yeah, I liked the ideas they were playing with, but I ended up not really enjoying it despite beating it. I thought I might like Surge 2 better due to its wider customization options, but I fell off that maybe halfway through

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Yardbomb posted:

I don't think I've ever noticed enough of a difference in walking around between any of the Soulses lol

DS2 really does have the worst movement of all of the DS/Bloodborne/Elden Ring games. It's the only common complaint I've seen about the game that I'll acknowledge as legitimate and not just pissbaby echo-whining. That and tracking overheads. And the technical failure of the lighting design which does undermine what should have been some spectacularly atmospheric areas.

Overall it's a really good game that got slaughtered by lackwits who, for want of original opinions of their own, just repeated the words of influencers who were confused by how studios work, and also somehow didn't understand the series' recurring theme of time/space/reality becoming dreamlike & collapsing in on itself.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Every criticism I have of DS2, I came up with by myself, and I have a lot of them. Game has loving problems my goon

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Yeah it's the only one I've never finished besides the Demon Souls remake, which I just didn't find very fun after everything else.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Is Pat's BG3 stream going okay? All of his Xer posting looks like him trying to talk himself into not liking the game.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

This took me a minute

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Shinji2015 posted:

I didn't hate it, but it just felt like a ton of wasted potential. Also really really short for a Soulslike.

The game loving starts you in the goddamn poison swamp and has a ton of hard to see beartraps just littering the place.

I feel like the devs are just taking the piss out of me at that point.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Rody One Half posted:

Bloodborne owns, it doesn't deserve to have Sekiro attached to it

gamer without rhythm detected

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

Is Pat's BG3 stream going okay? All of his Xer posting looks like him trying to talk himself into not liking the game.

Stream owns and he loves it

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
https://twitter.com/WoolieWoolz/status/1688409219803107329

woolie might be removed from the venue for cummign too hard

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

What's he getting hyped over

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
probably the new street fighter character

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Oxxidation posted:

probably the new street fighter character

He's hyped because Blanka launched someone into the final match.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Blanka (and Luke) almost won EVO grand finals for MenaRD.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
https://twitter.com/noobde/status/1688008401492832256?s=46

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Yardbomb posted:

DS3 always lost me tbh, cause yeah just Pat trying to pretend he hasn't played ahead while blatantly having played ahead, along with him having looked up actual meta gear poo poo and so on sucked a lot of fun out for me, I don't care that he's not dying enough or something, but even Matt or Woolie points it out a couple times that the game might as well be playing on autopilot when Pat outlevels every area by like 20 levels and is using some of the best weapons in the game at the time, I dunno, Souls games aren't that fun for me to watch when it feels like the discovery and all challenge is gone, even if there were still some funny moments.

This would make it doubly funny to me for things like Skeleton Ball. Pat getting his poo poo absolutely wrecked by this thing over and over - and going through the dungeon entirely without actually figuring how how to stop the ball, either.

If Pat was full selling all that, kudos to him