Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."

I was excited about this show, and it’s a consistently funny experience every time I watch it. Judy’s completely hosed up sense about what she’s supposed to do while still being sex shamed is one of the funniest parts about the whole affair storyline. She mistakenly thinks that because she’s on tour, she’s supposed to act like a rockstar based on assumption, but the completely warped perspective she has regarding sex and intimacy results in her dry humping her guitarist.

Kelvin and Keefe at the end taking a beat and saying: “nah let ‘em have this one” outside the sex shop was probably the biggest growth moment I’ve seen on the show.

Jesse shipping Pontius off to The Citadel was also a great moment of self awareness on Jessie’s part, but I’m wondering if the oldest son wanting to follow Eli will have Jessie begin to revert to his ways.

I’m excited for season 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Modulo16 posted:

I was excited about this show, and it’s a consistently funny experience every time I watch it. Judy’s completely hosed up sense about what she’s supposed to do while still being sex shamed is one of the funniest parts about the whole affair storyline. She mistakenly thinks that because she’s on tour, she’s supposed to act like a rockstar based on assumption, but the completely warped perspective she has regarding sex and intimacy results in her dry humping her guitarist.

Kelvin and Keefe at the end taking a beat and saying: “nah let ‘em have this one” outside the sex shop was probably the biggest growth moment I’ve seen on the show.

Jesse shipping Pontius off to The Citadel was also a great moment of self awareness on Jessie’s part, but I’m wondering if the oldest son wanting to follow Eli will have Jessie begin to revert to his ways.

I’m excited for season 4.

I suspect Gideon will be a superstar, and extremely popular side preacher in the church. And Jesse (as well as the other 2) will get extremely jealous, petty, and weird.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Was there foreshadowing this season (or previous ones) about Gideon wanting to preach?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Not really, and he was barely in season 2, if at all.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

I thought season 1 showed him doing some video production work for the church. Then I assumed he kept doing that since the gemstones had a streaming service that was doing well in season 2. Between seasons they had him doing stunt work and hurt himself, so they just reset his character I guess.

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

Read After Burning posted:

Was there foreshadowing this season (or previous ones) about Gideon wanting to preach?

You can see him starting to read Eli's autobiography, and if nothing else he can have actual conversations with his grandpa / he seems to be Eli's favorite grandchild on the grounds of he's, well, the most grounded.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

He spent a lot of time reading Eli's book. He picked it up idly in the car early on and is still reading it religiously (heh) throughout the season, over the course of many days.

There's also been a lot of parallels between Gideon and Eli, both being the children of preachers who grew up cynical and skeptical of the church before coming back around. Season 2 opened with a very explicit parallel between Eli riding his motorcycle in the flashback and then snapping to the present with Gideon tooling around on his bike.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

yeah he was working closely under martin prior to the heist but after that was all resolved there was a scene of him in the production booth learning the ropes that didn’t really go anywhere until the end of this season

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."

In the final episode scenes Gideon is spending time with Eli at his fishing pond and asks him: “What if I wanted to do what you do?” and Eli smiles to himself and confirms with Gideon that he wants to preach.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

drat rear end little daddy

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Modulo16 posted:

In the final episode scenes Gideon is spending time with Eli at his fishing pond and asks him: “What if I wanted to do what you do?” and Eli smiles to himself and confirms with Gideon that he wants to preach.

I think they meant "what was the foreshadowing that led to Gideon saying that to Eli", not "when in this season has Gideon ever said anything about preaching".

tgacon
Mar 22, 2009
I seem to recall it was much more pronounced in the first season, but Gideon has been more or less the only character in the show who has expressed earnest Christian sentiment before

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

tgacon posted:

I seem to recall it was much more pronounced in the first season, but Gideon has been more or less the only character in the show who has expressed earnest Christian sentiment before

He and Eli seem to be the only two "straight men", for lack of a better term, to everyone else's wackiness. Amber, too.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Gideon as an earnest and better-liked preacher is definitely going to be the conflict next season.

tgacon
Mar 22, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

He and Eli seem to be the only two "straight men", for lack of a better term, to everyone else's wackiness. Amber, too.

Eli talks a good game, but I always got the sense it was more of a dedication to kayfabe (he was a wrestler after all) and knowing how his bread got buttered than a real passion for the gospel

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

tgacon posted:

Eli talks a good game, but I always got the sense it was more of a dedication to kayfabe (he was a wrestler after all) and knowing how his bread got buttered than a real passion for the gospel

Eh. I think one thing this show does really well is show that while the Gemstones are not by any means making any self sacrifice for their faith, they aren't atheists rubbing their hands together after sermon. They believe, it's just a very selfish form of it where they're gods chosen for fortune.

It makes the show a lot better imo that Eli really is a religious man – he just also knows good business opportunities when he sees them. His sister running their dad's old church is a nice window into how much the faith got beat into them.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I might be immature but one of my favourite things about this show is its use of dicks for comedy. The fat guy's dick in the first episode as he was standing behind Jesse on the hidden camera cocaine video, keefe getting poked in the eye by the wrestler's dick, the pro wrestling coach walking through the locker room casually going "Hey buddy, great cock you got there" at a random naked wrestler, and obviously the nude guy fight. Dicks are really funny and should be treated that way. I'm also a little alarmed at how quickly i remembered all of them.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Eli is extremely generous, kind and thoughtful to church outsiders, showing patience and consideration, as well as usually being insightful to people’s feelings. He’s different with his adult children because they are extremely petulant and proof that he spoiled them. He just made the decision long ago that he deserves his own theme park, and his morality is being generous within his great means. None of that passing through an eye of the needle poo poo.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

tgacon posted:

It's definitely both, but there's a real difference between his bombastic public preacher persona and his earnest, private faith. His Gemstones ministry is definitely an act, it's just that underneath it is an actual Christian believer.

Caesar Saladin posted:

I might be immature but one of my favourite things about this show is its use of dicks for comedy. The fat guy's dick in the first episode as he was standing behind Jesse on the hidden camera cocaine video, keefe getting poked in the eye by the wrestler's dick, the pro wrestling coach walking through the locker room casually going "Hey buddy, great cock you got there" at a random naked wrestler, and obviously the nude guy fight. Dicks are really funny and should be treated that way. I'm also a little alarmed at how quickly i remembered all of them.

Oh, that is definitely not all of them

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Male nudity seems to be a hallmark of the Danny McBride TV universe

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

CatstropheWaitress posted:

It makes the show a lot better imo that Eli really is a religious man – he just also knows good business opportunities when he sees them. His sister running their dad's old church is a nice window into how much the faith got beat into them.

I 100% agree with this. If they were all awful people like in Succession then it would be a much more dour and depressing show. And honestly, for all of their largesse and ego, the Gemstones seem to innately grasp a lot of the biblical teachings that most Christians seem to forego - they’re shown regularly being more forgiving, accepting, and helpful than any of the leaders of other churches in the show (even if sometimes they have to be dragged kicking and screaming to that point).

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
Eli seems to get a pass on some of his worst behavior. He defrauded his own followers with the y2k kits and had the hit put out on Eric Andres character last season.

It's nice that he can mend fences with his family, but there should be a reckoning with the worst things he's done.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

had the hit put out on Eric Andres character last season.

Was that the implication there? I know it zoomed in on Eli before the cut to that scene, but I thought those kids were just out for their own motivations or something. I kind of remember Andre's character screwing them over somewhere.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe

FireWorksWell posted:

Was that the implication there? I know it zoomed in on Eli before the cut to that scene, but I thought those kids were just out for their own motivations or something. I kind of remember Andre's character screwing them over somewhere.

I may be misremembering it, but doesn't he get off the phone with them? Maybe he just tipped them off at their location but still seems pretty bad.

Meatlong Football
Feb 11, 2008

Caesar Saladin posted:

Netflix insists on nudity and sexual content in general to drive views but the way hill/McBride disempower masculinity with male nudity slays me everytime. Keef interrupting the sibling meeting wearing nothing but a t-shirt and his little pecker head poking out (season 2?) still cracks me up just thinking about it.

I enjoyed McBride and the go-kart montage as a little throwback to Kenny Powers riding his jetski.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Meatlong Football posted:

Netflix insists on nudity and sexual content in general to drive views but the way hill/McBride disempower masculinity with male nudity slays me everytime.

I like how even when there is gratuitous female nudity it still often plays to this theme, e.g. the flashback orgy scene with Dusty. Wall to wall tits on display and all anyone cares about is if Baby Billy and Dusty hosed :allears:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The random dicks hanging out always get a lol out of me.

I like when Kenny powers makes contact with the African tribe and for some reason the dudes are wearing t shirts with no pants hanging dong

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I think they meant "what was the foreshadowing that led to Gideon saying that to Eli", not "when in this season has Gideon ever said anything about preaching".

He actually seemed to be enjoying Eli's autobiography earlier in the season.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Also they state specifically that Eli never thought he would be a preacher, which sparks off Gideon becoming interested. Foreshadowing would have actually made less sense since it only occurs to Gideon at the end of this season.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I assume someone found a prop dick somewhere and have just decided to use it everywhere and it's hilarious.

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
As a Catholic I hate them all, then realized they understood what drives everyone, then I was humbled. And Gideon loving rocks cocks and that's way more wholesome than my leadership. A fat dumbass, leading a flock to at least being kind. Good for you protestants.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I love the show, but the last episode was a bit too far in heightened reality territory for me between the plague of locusts and Peter getting away with two aborted terrorist attacks that would be major national news. On a more positive note, Uncle Baby Billy is still incredible, and Jesse's cape-off felt more like Eastbound and Down than anything in a while, so I appreciated that a lot.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I have to find a way to work "Oh, are we doing chuckles?" into a conversation or situation.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

I love the show, but the last episode was a bit too far in heightened reality territory for me between the plague of locusts and Peter getting away with two aborted terrorist attacks that would be major national news.
I mean, “he died in the blast” combined with “lives on a private compound” feels like a good alibi. For one prison to a much better one.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
The Man said that the guy who shot up that Vegas concert did it for undetermined reasons, we’ll never know lol. Hell, in 2020 a dude blew up himself and his RV in Nashville and we just kinda moved on 2 days later.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

I have to find a way to work "Oh, are we doing chuckles?" into a conversation or situation.

Just as good as "car pranks".

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Consummate Professional posted:

Hell, in 2020 a dude blew up himself and his RV in Nashville and we just kinda moved on 2 days later.

Yup, totally forgot about that, and my brother had just moved away from Nashville so even had some slight personal connection for me

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

Jesse's cape-off felt more like Eastbound and Down than anything in a while, so I appreciated that a lot.

Oh yeah, total Kenny Powers move.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's too bad he wasn't facing off with the "did you moosh the donuts" guy. He was in this season somewhere I think though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0FO46VSOCo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

wizardofloneliness posted:

It was ambiguous before this episode if May-May was in on it, but I don’t think she is now. She is a crazy rear end in a top hat who attacked Aimee-Leigh with a giant wrench, but she’s not that bad. It’s just that Gemstone temper, I guess. And she kind of had a point tbh.

e: accidentally a dupe post

clown shoes fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Aug 7, 2023