Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Friend posted:

Fwiw, I saw Bridesmaids like a year or two after it came out and while I wouldn't be as vitriolic as you were, it was a bad movie then and I was baffled by why it was so popular. It was one of the big reasons why I knew Ghostbusters 2016 would be bad. Paul Feig sucks and ad-libbed comedies get worse every decade that passes since they were invented.
I caught GB '16 on TV a couple years after it came out and tried to watch it with as open a mind as possible, remembering all the controversy around its release. Even then, I was still like....really? It felt like a remake that fundamentally didn't understand the original movie. There's no focus on developing a serious background plot juxtaposed with comedic character work, or subtle humor instead of bad slapstick, or even any particularly interesting cinematography.

The real crime wasn't that the Ghostbusters were ladies, it's that you made a Ghostbusters movie boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Zero_Grade posted:

I caught GB '16 on TV a couple years after it came out and tried to watch it with as open a mind as possible, remembering all the controversy around its release. Even then, I was still like....really? It felt like a remake that fundamentally didn't understand the original movie. There's no focus on developing a serious background plot juxtaposed with comedic character work, or subtle humor instead of bad slapstick, or even any particularly interesting cinematography.

The real crime wasn't that the Ghostbusters were ladies, it's that you made a Ghostbusters movie boring.

It was a bad movie but for completely different reasons than chuds were mad about

The endless planned improv riffing in movies needs to die

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
The 2016 Ghostbusters was badly edited too. Combined with endless improv to get one "useable" joke gave us… that.

Honestly I think the movie would've been spared the controversy if it was anything but a Ghostbusters movie. But tying it to the franchise just tied the millstone of expectations around its neck.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I saw Spawn in theaters too because I got free tickets and liked the comic, along with the HBO show.

It sucked but for free it was Ok and plus I was high as a motherfucker. The weird detail that stands out for me is, while waiting in the lobby or concession stand, I overheard someone looking at the posters say "that's that FREAK movie". No idea what "non freak" film they had bought tickets for.

That's all I remember about SPawn aside from John Leguizamo chewing scenery.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

BiggerBoat posted:

No idea what "non freak" film they had bought tickets for.
Domestic Box Office for August 1997

Air Force One (July 25)
Conspiracy Theory (August 8)
Spawn (August 1)
George of the Jungle (July 18)
Men in Black (July 2)
Cop Land (August 15)
Picture Perfect (August 1)
Contact (July 11)
G.I. Jane (August 22)
Event Horizon (August 15)
Air Bud (August 1)

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
Ah they were probably talking about Event Horizon

Or maybe Air Bud

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

FFT posted:

Domestic Box Office for August 1997

Air Force One (July 25)
Conspiracy Theory (August 8)
Spawn (August 1)
George of the Jungle (July 18)
Men in Black (July 2)
Cop Land (August 15)
Picture Perfect (August 1)
Contact (July 11)
G.I. Jane (August 22)
Event Horizon (August 15)
Air Bud (August 1)

Man, that's a good lineup.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Byzantine posted:

Man, that's a good lineup.
That's the top 11 (because Air Bud lol) for the month, I left out a few notables that didn't rank that high:

15 Face/Off (June 27)
17 Good Burger (July 25)
22 The Lost World: Jurassic Park (May 23)
23 Con Air (June 6)
24 Free Willy 3: The Rescue (August 8) (lol)
29 Liar Liar (March 21)
30 The Fifth Element (May 9)
31 Batman & Robin (June 20)
32 Steel (August 15)
34 Hercules (Jun 15)
39 The Full Monty (August 15)

The best weekend of all time was a year prior, though. July 5-7, 1996, these were all in theaters:

Independence Day
The Nutty Professor
Phenomenon
The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Eraser
The Rock
Striptease
Twister
Mission: Impossible
The Cable Guy
DragonHeart
Lone Star
Toy Story

stringless has a new favorite as of 01:34 on Aug 6, 2023

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Baron von Eevl posted:

Frank Welker has 3 styles, nibbler from futurama's animal noises, nibbler from futurama's melodramatic speaking voice, and the cave of wonders from Aladdin.

I'm reminded how Steve Blum has voiced Spike from Cowboy Bebop, Wolverine and many characters who clearly are trying to be Wolverine, and Guilmon from Digimon Tamers.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm reminded how Steve Blum has voiced Spike from Cowboy Bebop, Wolverine and many characters who clearly are trying to be Wolverine, and Guilmon from Digimon Tamers.

He was also the Piney Apple in the .hack games but that's basically just the Guilmon voice again. :3:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Meanwhile Fred Tatasciore is just anything and everything.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
oh some more IIMM for vampire movies. (its Daybreakers, I think my previous post about vampire IIMM was also Daybreakers. Also the movie setup is a minor joke now. A disease in 2019 changes the world. [the movie was made in 2009])

ah yes a tree provides enough shade for a vampire. its not like trees have grass and other small plants growing in its shadow/100000% UV blocking canopy.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

PhazonLink posted:

ah yes a tree provides enough shade for a vampire. its not like trees have grass and other small plants growing in its shadow/100000% UV blocking canopy.
If a dracula is under a tree then the sun can't see it to set it on fire, this is fairly basic stuff.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Pilchenstein posted:

If a dracula is under a tree then the sun can't see it to set it on fire, this is fairly basic stuff.

Some people like to flaunt their lack of education. Sad, really.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Look, it's the Suzy Izzard "low energy vampire" lore, where he's just gonna go around going "Pfffth!" at people. Sometimes you just want to be vaguely spooky but don't want to commit the energy to transforming and poo poo.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLZ70ukBMTY&t=186s

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 11:51 on Aug 6, 2023

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
My favourite Airplane! related gag not from the movie itself was an interview I saw with the two actors who played the jive-talking guys, explaining how they came in and basically wrote their own dialogue and such. And the documentary-makers subtitled everything they were saying back into jive again.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I'm curious what the first vampire story to float the idea that UV light hurts vampires was. Its become a widely accepted thing, basically anything set in the modern day featuring vampires will have UV torches (or UV grenades) harming vampires, usually to the point where you start to wonder how vampires arent extinct in the 21st century as anyone can pick up a vampire-killing torch off amazon for less than 10 bucks, or be safe from vampires by sheltering in most nightclubs or bowling alleys. Its a perfectly fine/logical trope which was fun the first few times I saw it but... I'd like to see a piece of modern vampire media where someone whips out a UV torch only for it to have no effect on the vampire, because they arent allergic to UV, they are killed by sunlight. If a fictional universes vampires are under effectively a magical curse (rather than being victims of a blood disease or whatever), theres no reason that UV (which is a part of sunlight) has to hurt them any more than regular water (which is after all a part of holy water) has to have any effect.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It was the movie Nosferatu iirc and literally just because they apparently couldn't figure out how to end the movie so they basically went 'and then the sun comes up and kills him'. Though if you mean UV light in particular, no idea. Does remind me Lovecraft had some stories where various pieces of technology were used to fight monsters to various but often eventual success, proto-Ghostbusters style. Even one has them find what turns out to be a sleeping monster buried underground, and they just get some big barrels of acid to pour down the hole.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Yeah, I specifically mean "non-sunlight source of UV has the same effect as sunlight". Like there are certain "traditional" aspects of vampires that most stories stick to; Sunlight, garlic, holy water and holy symbols hurt them. I'm slightly curious as to what exactly was the first media to go "Oh, sunlight has UV in it, so UV light = Sunlight as far as vampires are concerned" which was then used to the point where most modern-day set vampire media uses the idea. I've seen stories where a holy symbol doesnt repel a vampire because the person holding it doesnt have faith, but I dont think I've ever seen a vampire story where a UV light didnt harm a vampire because its not light from the actual sun.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I quite like the Pratchett idea that holy symbols only hurt vampires if they believe they can.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

OwlFancier posted:

I quite like the Pratchett idea that holy symbols only hurt vampires if they believe they can.

Dracula 2000 is a terrible movie but I still enjoy it. And it has a scene where this happens.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Salems Lot did that too in a real solid scene that apparently is a major plot point in one of the Dark Tower books

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It was also in the original book version of I Am Legend. Where his Jewish vampire neighbor doesn't care about a cross but freaks out when he sees a Star of David.

Feb 28, 2007

1️⃣
Just another number.
Back in [checks wiki...] 1967, The Fearless Vampire Killers had a Jewish vampire who just laughs off crucifixes.

muscles like this! posted:

It was also in the original book version of I Am Legend. Where his Jewish vampire neighbor doesn't care about a cross but freaks out when he sees a Star of David.

Lol, and I'm already beaten by over a decade!

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Len posted:

Salems Lot did that too in a real solid scene that apparently is a major plot point in one of the Dark Tower books

Isn't that because Callaghan's faith wavers? He becomes fixed on the idea of "crosses repel vampires" rather than "God will protect me" and so it stops working. Which I guess is technically very Christian, but still has a semi-Lovecraftian feel to me. God exists, faith is real, but it doesn't neccesarily work how you think it does, and you're still puny and insigifnicant.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

The original series of Dr Who had an atheist Soviet officer repel vampires through his faith in glorious communism as represented by a small necklace with a hammer and sickle on it.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
Nihilists are screwed.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

MajorBonnet posted:

Nihilists are screwed.

Only if they don't really believe in nihilism

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

MajorBonnet posted:

Nihilists are screwed.

Narcissists, however...

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

OwlFancier posted:

Marvel's (sometimes) had it work that way - there's an issue where Dr Strange or someone tries to use a crucifix against an ancient vampire who laughs in his face and points out "I predate Christianity, why would their symbols mean anything to me?"

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Yeah, Matheson's approach was the vampires hate anything that reminds them of their former life, like religious symbols if they strongly followed that faith, or seeing their own reflections. It's not actually a magical power against them, they just really really hate it.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Angry Salami posted:

Marvel's (sometimes) had it work that way - there's an issue where Dr Strange or someone tries to use a crucifix against an ancient vampire who laughs in his face and points out "I predate Christianity, why would their symbols mean anything to me?"

My favorite Marvel Vampire moment was when vampires from the moon (:allears:) are about to invade and conquer earth. The comic's hero gives them one last chance to Not Attack and they laugh in his face... and then burn up upon entry in the atmosphere.

They weren't invited.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
In the 1999 Brendan Fraiser masterpiece, The Mummy, there's a scene where a character encounters the mummy. He shows the mummy a cross, a muslim crescent, and a seated Buddha. The mummy doesn't give a gently caress, but finally reacts to a Star of David. Makes sense, none of the other religions would have existed before 2500 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnsyQh0FfoM

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Last year I got an Orthodox vampire novel published, where I determined that it's the specific iconography that terrifies vampires. A cross--especially a crucifix--is a bitter reminder that they're ultimately frauds whose immortality depends on preying on others, rather than love, humility, and sacrifice. When the MC finds herself without a cross at one point, she's able to get the same effect with an icon of the Virgin Mary.

That said, I also depict it as a conquerable fear. There's a scene where a vampire winds up with a cross around her own neck, and it puts her in a catatonic state that temporarily allows her original soul to speak out. But the longer the vampire wears it, the more she's able to resist it, and take over the body again.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=As40etn3qDE

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

There was a cool part in Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines where your vampire is captured by a scientifically minded human and he puts you in a chamber flooded with UV light and it doesn't do poo poo, teaching him it specifically has to be Sunlight.

He also sends out a goon in a hazmat suit to try and scare you with the cross and it doesn't do jack poo poo so you just get to treat him like a free juice box, because in VTM you need genuine faith to make poo poo like that work.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Blindsight, by Peter Watts, has vampires as a parallel evolution species that died out with the rise of human civilisation. perfect (or near enough to perfect) right angles make their brains break due to complciated reasons I can't remember but made sense while reading about it.

I love that book and, with years of study and introspection, one day I might understand a tenth of what happens in it.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

IshmaelZarkov posted:

Blindsight, by Peter Watts, has vampires as a parallel evolution species that died out with the rise of human civilisation. perfect (or near enough to perfect) right angles make their brains break due to complciated reasons I can't remember but made sense while reading about it.

I love that book and, with years of study and introspection, one day I might understand a tenth of what happens in it.

Explaining this book to people is hilarious.

"So like, they're in space, and there's this vampire - "

"Oh, it's a book about space vampires?"

"It's not even ABOUT the space vampires!"

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

IshmaelZarkov posted:

perfect (or near enough to perfect) right angles make their brains break due to complciated reasons I can't remember but made sense while reading about it.
It was just a random mutation that got baked in from founder effects and not much evolutionary pressure against it (because big straight right angles were rare before civilization). The vampires were basically prone to photosensitive epilepsy, but with shapes as a seizure trigger instead of flashing lights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

its bad, op