Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Silly Burrito posted:

I don’t even need it but I want it.

That’s the theme of this thread friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I finally caved and got an rg353v because it was on sale and I was sick of waiting, but the day the Miyoo flip comes out I'm chucking that thing on Facebook marketplace

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Congrats on both your RG353V and Miyoo Mini Flip

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I just pulled the trigger on the Miyoo mini + from temu with a code to get it for sub $40 despite the fact that I already preordered the Retroid Pocket 2s. We will see if it actually arrives, I've never ordered from Temu before and it has some real wish.com energy. I'm doubling my retro handheld collection and going from 2 of these things to 4!

I also just largely couldn't resist the Atomic Purple Miyoo Mini + and the Clear Green Pocket 2s. The see through nintendo colors of my youth are my kryptonite.

Televisio Frankus
Jun 8, 2010

Substandard posted:

I just pulled the trigger on the Miyoo mini + from temu with a code to get it for sub $40 despite the fact that I already preordered the Retroid Pocket 2s. We will see if it actually arrives, I've never ordered from Temu before and it has some real wish.com energy. I'm doubling my retro handheld collection and going from 2 of these things to 4!

I also just largely couldn't resist the Atomic Purple Miyoo Mini + and the Clear Green Pocket 2s. The see through nintendo colors of my youth are my kryptonite.

Atomic Purple Miyoo Mini buddies! :hfive:

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Please everyone stop talking about your cheap Temu Pluses, I’ve got the OG Mini and matching case and stand and I really don’t need a plus (but it does have WiFi…..)

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Froist posted:

Please everyone stop talking about your cheap Temu Pluses, I’ve got the OG Mini and matching case and stand and I really don’t need a plus (but it does have WiFi…..)

Wifi is stupid and yours is smaller in a good way she says gripping her mm+

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Third Party Retro Consoles: I don't need it but I just got my Temiyoo purple plus.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Wi-Fi is dope. Once that SD card goes in it never leaves.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Tiny Timbs posted:

This is true cause when I buy another device a week later I get another SD card too.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Tiny Timbs posted:

Does adding games by wifi work well on the onion is? Haven’t tried it yet but I can’t imagine it’s super fast.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
I get a new sd card for every sd card requiring device but I also use an sd card reader like a civilized human who wants good data transfer speeds for 512GB of ROMs I’ll never play

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

otter posted:

Does adding games by wifi work well on the onion is? Haven’t tried it yet but I can’t imagine it’s super fast.

Using FTP over Wi-Fi isn’t super fast on any of my handhelds but that’s not really an issue for anything I’d care to run on them.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I was trying to ftp some chds to my mmp before the bbq and found they'd time out near the end but wouldn't show an error so it looked like a successful transfer. They weren't launching from Onion and the solution was to delete and transfer with SD adapter.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I might bite the bullet and buy one of these $40 temu TV console deals. But so far none of them have really sexy hardware specs.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I wouldn't get any of these devices for playing on a television. Just get an older NUC and put Batocera on it.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I wouldn't get any of these devices for playing on a television. Just get an older NUC and put Batocera on it.

Yeah unfortunately to get any type of interesting to me retro emulation(ps2 and OG Xbox), I’m looking at building an x86_64 system with a graphics card and that’s like $400 just to start.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

coconono posted:

Yeah unfortunately to get any type of interesting to me retro emulation(ps2 and OG Xbox), I’m looking at building an x86_64 system with a graphics card and that’s like $400 just to start.

If you didn't need OG Xbox, I'd just recommend getting an Xbox Series S and putting it in dev mode.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

otter posted:

I installed onion and then none of my games will launch. They act like they’re going to and then they don’t. What the hell did I do wrong?

Did you resolve this issue btw?

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

evilmiera posted:

Did you resolve this issue btw?

Flattened my 512 gb sd card.
Dropped the onion install on it.
Booted, reinstalled.
Put the sd back in the Mac (still got the “error with this drive onion…” error but ignored it)
Loaded the games on it.
Back in the device and rebooted… no issues.
The 256 gb card is toast. But the mini plays really nice with the 512 now.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Silly Burrito posted:

If you didn't need OG Xbox, I'd just recommend getting an Xbox Series S and putting it in dev mode.

Tried thus, it’s pretty good! Highly recommend. Only downside is it only uses a 20GB partition.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

coconono posted:

Tried thus, it’s pretty good! Highly recommend. Only downside is it only uses a 20GB partition.

You can’t offload that onto an external SSD?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

coconono posted:

Nah, just grab a 1TB external SSD for $70 or so from Amazon and use that. It's what I do.

Archades Games has a ton of useful Youtube tutorials for anyone who wants to try it. He goes step by step through the process.

https://www.youtube.com/@ArchadesGames/playlists?view=50&sort=dd&shelf_id=6

Silly Burrito fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Aug 6, 2023

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Commander Keene posted:

OK it seems there's just an index file in each folder I need to delete every time I add roms to the folder, that will get the device to re-index the folder.

Sorry, I meant to actually launch the games. I haven't figured out how to get multi-disc games to actually launch, I've tried both converting them to a .pbp and using m3u playlists and both just load for a while then dump me back to the games list. I've tested the playlist with Duckstation and it'll launch the game properly, but when I copy that exact same playlist to the MM+ with the exact same folder structure nothing happens.

Just to be sure, have you capitalized everything properly? Assuming you mean duckstation on windows, that might not care about proper capitalization or correctly encoded hyphens or whatever, but plenty of devices will.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Zenostein posted:

Just to be sure, have you capitalized everything properly? Assuming you mean duckstation on windows, that might not care about proper capitalization or correctly encoded hyphens or whatever, but plenty of devices will.
The game I tried is Chrono Cross, which has no hyphens or non-alphabetic characters in the title, and I tried the PBP file with the extension both capitalized and lowercase, no difference.

Televisio Frankus
Jun 8, 2010

I have only the best games.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
"lakeland has a drinking problem" is an all time tagline

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Televisio Frankus posted:

I have only the best games.

I'm, sorry, but I'm going to have to ask you to surrender any and all retro devices to the thread until you can learn to play better games.

Televisio Frankus
Jun 8, 2010

Explosionface posted:

I'm, sorry, but I'm going to have to ask you to surrender any and all retro devices to the thread until you can learn to play better games.

Better?

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

I’m sure I’ve asked 1,000x but does anyone in this thread have a polymega?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Did that actually come out?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

A quick look at the website says shipping Q4 which I'm 90% sure is more due to them just making to order than actual demand. I do greatly enjoy their horrible looking controller for the N64 add-on though.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Oh they're full of poo poo on their timetables.
I know there are some folks who have received them. They were (are?) building them in Myanmar and that whole situation when sideways but they now claim they are back up and running for production, or at least their press release says they're going to... They have the world's worst customer service and they straight up suck rear end at meeting deadlines. They pulled this whole thing earlier this year where they said, "oh well since we can't get this out to you we're going to give you a year subscription to our emulator app that's totally really coming out.." and then didn't do it. And they also said they were going to resume shipping consoles in July but as far as anyone knows they sent a few dozen to Japan and that's about it. So they've kicked the can down the road to "Oh we will be shipping by the end of October and everyone who has pre-ordered one will have it by the end of the year" and yeah, loving right.

*ahem*
anyway, I was just curious how it does with save states if anyone does have one.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

otter posted:

They pulled this whole thing earlier this year where they said, "oh well since we can't get this out to you we're going to give you a year subscription to our emulator app that's totally really coming out.." and then didn't do it.

Oh yeah I forgot about that, that was hilarious.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Everyone's going vertical lately

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ihww2RwY_Gw

njsykora posted:

A quick look at the website says shipping Q4 which I'm 90% sure is more due to them just making to order than actual demand. I do greatly enjoy their horrible looking controller for the N64 add-on though.

That's just a rebadged Tribute64

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

??? That's better than the actual N64 controller, though?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
New console design idea, make the 5" or 5.5" screen and the control 2 separate boxes, so you can slot the screen vertically or horizontally on the control box.

Like this heh

Only registered members can see post attachments!

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Looks nice and chunky wonder if it has the screen falling out issue the 405M has

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Isn't polymega teaming up with the atari vcs for something? Everything about both projects are so weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Anyone know how to get the ZX Spectrum emulator working in Garlic OS? I got C64 games working fine once I realised it could only open .t64 (tape) files as disk files made it hang up, but Spectrum files either immediately crash and reset or just sit there unresponsive. There's supposedly a selectable keyboard overlay like the one for the C64, but nothing I do will bring it up, even after going into the core settings.