Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

maybealabia posted:

Whale-sized Vatican city vs Vatican City-sized whale

Here's the church
Here are the Cardinals
Open the door
And see all the narwhals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

BonHair posted:

I will never not take the opportunity to point out that one of these guys was prime minister of Australia

New Scientist posted:

Article amended on 14 July 2017

We have corrected what Hippasus proved

Article amended on 27 August 2020

We corrected the spelling of Malcolm Turnbull’s name

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

Whooping Crabs posted:

Blue whale vs Vatican City

Next smash bros. looking interesting

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Lol at the people who chose Vatican City as their character in Golden Eye. I know you're just doing this because we gave you poo poo for choosing Odd job last round, but your hit box is literally bigger than the map.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Text: "Save our wildlife before it's too late"

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I can't decide if the graph improved or weakened by the mushroom clouds being laughing clowns.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Alkydere posted:

I can't decide if the graph improved or weakened by the mushroom clouds being laughing clowns.

GG

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I won first place for submitting to a small literary journal a short story about how the dinosaurs died because there were all these Tsar Bombas and they were leaking radiation everywhere so they sent them back in time because they had nowhere else to put them.

I won a hundred bux!

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Laughing clowns aside, the graph isn't *that* bad. It does seem to visually represent data accurately/honestly, even if its sensational and not the easiest to read.

Unless I'm missing something of course.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Using area to compare numbers is generally a bad idea and can be misleading - for example, the Tsar Bomba explosion on the graph is both about 5 times taller and 5 times wider than the Ivy Mike one, making it look about 25 times bigger overall.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
In actual fact, all else being equal the volume of the explosion should be proportional to the energy (in tons TNT), so the heights should all be proportional to the the cube root of the energy. Tsar Bomba should only by 1.7 times as tall as Ivy Mike, or about 15 times as tall as Little Boy. And that's still assuming size of explosion is proportional to size of mushroom cloud, which isn't true either.

Remember that the two tiny blips in the corner are bombs that devastated entire cities. This chart then implies that the Tsar Bomba could've devastated an area the size of Colorado. That simply isn't the case.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008
Also the X and Y axes communicate the same information.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

DontMockMySmock posted:

This chart then implies that the Tsar Bomba could've devastated an area the size of Colorado. That simply isn't the case.

Look untill we test that theory we just don't know for sure. Does anyone have a spare Tsar Bomba and Colorado?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

dr_rat posted:

Look untill we test that theory we just don't know for sure. Does anyone have a spare Tsar Bomba and Colorado?

No, but I have a MOAB and a Chevy Colorado. Is that close enough?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Blue Footed Booby posted:

No, but I have a MOAB and a Chevy Colorado. Is that close enough?

What is meat on a bun gonna do for us?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

DontMockMySmock posted:

Remember that the two tiny blips in the corner are bombs that devastated entire cities. This chart then implies that the Tsar Bomba could've devastated an area the size of Colorado. That simply isn't the case.

I mean, if you dropped the Bomba on the Air Force Academy, the thermal radiation would give third degree burns to pretty much half the population of Colorado and first or second degree burns to the other half, so, you know.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Yeah, the tsar Bomba could cause third-degree burns 60+ miles away to anyone out in the open. That's over 11 thousand square miles. Or about 30,000 square kilometers.

That's a pretty big chunk of real estate.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

TinTower posted:

I mean, if you dropped the Bomba on the Air Force Academy, the thermal radiation would give third degree burns to pretty much half the population of Colorado and first or second degree burns to the other half, so, you know.

That’s because the Front Range Corridor is essentially one sprawly city though.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/davidad/status/1687555474504273921

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Mentioning gpt at all sets off bullshit alarms, what does a chatbot have to do with a bar graph about lead poisoning?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

If you need a chatbot to make a bar graph i think you should probably leave interpretation of statistics to someone else. The numbers might still be right but he hasn't bothered to include a source by the look of it so who knows

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Scientists have puzzled for years over the enigmatic Microsoft Excel. What is its purpose? How do we use it?

Now with chatGPT we finally have the answer.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
Yeah that "1971-2012 technological stagnation" sure sucked. At least we can all use our mainframe computers to talk to each other on ARPANET about how to fix our teletype monitors.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Look, either the US stopped technological growth of domestic production or some random market downturn in the 70s allowed some malevolent proponent of feudalism to establish a societal framework in the 80s that returned capital to a few lords hiding productive growth from the normal person. Which seems more likely?

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

EasilyConfused posted:

Yeah that "1971-2012 technological stagnation" sure sucked. At least we can all use our mainframe computers to talk to each other on ARPANET about how to fix our teletype monitors.

Computer development has all been downhill since the 1980s.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

640k of RAM ought to be enough for anybody.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

hey gpt give me plausible numbers in a chart tia

also some bullshit to explain it idc if its true or makes sense

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

HisMajestyBOB posted:

Computer development has all been downhill since the 1980s.

Turn on your (VIC-20) monitor.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

piL posted:

Turn on your (VIC-20) monitor.

eh thats a bit much

amiga 500, nothing more was worth it

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
That dude should check if his brain is poisoned by lead.

Paladinus has a new favorite as of 01:01 on Aug 6, 2023

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I really want to know what brought us out of the supposed technological dark age in 2012.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

OwlFancier posted:

I really want to know what brought us out of the supposed technological dark age in 2012.

It was when we banded together as a species to stop the world from ending in December, like when we fixed the Y2K bug but on a larger scale

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

OwlFancier posted:

We survived the totally real Mayan apocalypse; gotta be tech

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Grassy Knowles posted:

We survived the totally real Mayan apocalypse; gotta be tech

Picturing a huge stone Mayan calendar rigged up like the Stargate, it's spinning and grinding and steam is coming out, scientists and military men scramble to stop it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

By throwing an iphone 5 at it.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

All this really does is show how loving stupid Meyers Briggs is.

What "INTP" on the planet is a loving essentialist anti-empiricist?

That's misunderstanding even what the people who think MBPI is real think.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.

ikanreed posted:

All this really does is show how loving stupid Meyers Briggs is.

What "INTP" on the planet is a loving essentialist anti-empiricist?

That's misunderstanding even what the people who think MBPI is real think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Damnit we only need one more personality type to summon Double Satan