Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yes but mostly those firms focus on executive recruiting.

In the world of lower management and ICs, if you ever happen to run into one of the 0.5% of third party recruiters who are actually great at what they do, you'll know it immediately. Because the playbooks run by the other 99.5% are so nearly identical.

The comparatively few companies that are actually willing to invest up front in hiring and training the right people usually have their own internal recruiters, who are good at their jobs. And since they work for one company, they can be properly incentivized to seek quality over quantity. Third party recruiters who serve numerous lords are more consistently rewarded for churning quantity, not quality.

If you run into a third-party recruiter who is actually good at placing quality candidates, chances are that person is early in their career, and soon enough will end up in the executive headhunting end of things and/or employed as an internal recruiter. Or awakening to the realization that they can make a lot more money in straight-up sales and exiting the field.

I had an executive recruiting agency call me the other day. When I was finally able to interrupt to ask how they make their money, they wanted $10k for the placement. Half up front.

lol no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Reputable recruiters don't charge candidates.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Not even gonna make the world's most obvious strikethrough joke

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

ultrafilter posted:

Reputable recruiters don't charge candidates.

I assumed SouthShoreSamurai is an HM or in charge of talent search at his company but holy lol if recruiters are charging $10,000 for a landing a job

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

dpkg chopra posted:

I assumed SouthShoreSamurai is an HM or in charge of talent search at his company but holy lol if recruiters are charging $10,000 for a landing a job

I am not. I was a director in my last position and currently looking, so I've been getting some randoms reaching out.

I did utilize one reputable guy that charges the company if a match is made. He came recommended from some folks I know, though.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I once talked to an "executive coach" type person who charged, but that was for a bunch of stuff including rewriting your resume, working with you on offers, a bunch of connections and industry info, etc. Not quite a recruiter but similar goal I guess. I got the impression she was legit but also probably a waste of money for most people.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I think most C-suites have an ongoing personal arrangement with an Executive Coach of some stripe or other. In reality it's mostly about networking and keeping the Club good and insular, like everything else C-suites do.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
I’ve only seen executive coaches used as therapists for startup c suites.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

I mean if your C-series funder and not you are paying for it, go for it man

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Trickortreat posted:

Are you sure about that though? :smug:

Definitely failed the IQ test though. I should have clarified it wasn't literally an IQ test, but I had 12 minutes to answer as many questions as possible and they were all puzzles and math questions. Still forgot how exciting it feels to get past the initial screening stage though. Here's to hoping!

I've done a couple of phone/online interviews with a company and now they're asking me to do something similar called a PXT Assessment. They described it as a 90 minute light SAT.

I guess these are common now?

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

E: wrong thread

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

wash bucket posted:

I've done a couple of phone/online interviews with a company and now they're asking me to do something similar called a PXT Assessment. They described it as a 90 minute light SAT.

Okay this thing really was just the SAT all over again. And apparently it spits out something like this?

lol at how much of hiring people is handled by "systems" now. Applicant tracking software decides if a resume is worth looking at. Assessment tests decide if a candidate is worth interviewing. Everything just turns into a number.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

wash bucket posted:

It's not my experience that they're common. I have gotten 2 horoscopes in the last 18 months and one of them was to work for the company that makes said horoscopes. My notes say I've applied for over 500 positions in that time (was searching for about 14 of those months which is why it's was so high). Obviously those weren't all interviews or even screenings, but I don't think this is exactly the hot new trend. Some exec was just sold on it being one.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

wash bucket posted:

Okay this thing really was just the SAT all over again. And apparently it spits out something like this?

lol at how much of hiring people is handled by "systems" now. Applicant tracking software decides if a resume is worth looking at. Assessment tests decide if a candidate is worth interviewing. Everything just turns into a number.

I mean, the problem is people tend to look at these things and just hire whomever looks and has a similar background to themselves. So this is not great but neither is the traditional way either.

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.
Today, I'm about to have my first interview in over 5 years. Has anything changed about the interview environment since 2018 or so? Much of the recent thread has been resume-related so I figured I'd ask. For perspective, I am close to finishing a deep learning-heavy PhD in biomedical engineering, and I'm looking at mostly tech/R&D jobs with machine learning/deep learning job titles/requirements.

I did read the OP and the old OP though I am already familiar with most of what they had to say.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

HOMOEROTIC JESUS posted:

Today, I'm about to have my first interview in over 5 years. Has anything changed about the interview environment since 2018 or so? Much of the recent thread has been resume-related so I figured I'd ask. For perspective, I am close to finishing a deep learning-heavy PhD in biomedical engineering, and I'm looking at mostly tech/R&D jobs with machine learning/deep learning job titles/requirements.

I did read the OP and the old OP though I am already familiar with most of what they had to say.

Remote or in person?

In-person? Nah, nothing majorly changed.

Remote: Make sure you are showing an environment that is conducive to work. Be mindful about what you wear, how you're sitting, etc. All that stuff is amplified.

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.

Lockback posted:

Remote or in person?

In-person? Nah, nothing majorly changed.

Remote: Make sure you are showing an environment that is conducive to work. Be mindful about what you wear, how you're sitting, etc. All that stuff is amplified.

The interview today is a 1-hour phone interview with a small-ish tech company, but I'm expecting to have in-person interviews in the future (or at least I hope haha). I have always dressed and presented myself in remote interviews as if they were in-person, so that shouldn't be any issue. Thank you!

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

quote:

Yeah I’ve also found this works in the other direction. The companies I’ve been most interested in have also (probably not coincidentally) had better dressed remote interviewers in a good looking work environment. I’m not expecting suits and ties or even business casual when you’re sitting at home. But I had a dude interview me while moving around in his kitchen and there was another interview with two guys wearing hoodies and it was incredibly distracting, to the point where I should have hidden their video feeds.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

HOMOEROTIC JESUS posted:

I am close to finishing a deep learning-heavy PhD in biomedical engineering, and I'm looking at mostly tech/R&D jobs with machine learning/deep learning job titles/requirements..

Way to go! The world is prob your oyster as far as jobs. Hard science PhDs tend to have a high propensity of being oddballs who write poo poo code and can’t follow any processes, so even a little signaling that you can work with other people and acclimate to corpo life will put you in the top 5.

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

CarForumPoster posted:

Way to go! The world is prob your oyster as far as jobs. Hard science PhDs tend to have a high propensity of being oddballs who write poo poo code and can’t follow any processes, so even a little signaling that you can work with other people and acclimate to corpo life will put you in the top 5.

People seem to like working with me, but the jury is still out on not being an oddball! (or not writing poo poo code or following processes). Anyway, yeah, I'm also optimistic towards my job prospects. Machine learning and data science are pretty hot these days.

As for the interview, it ended up being all technical questions, which seemed strange for an initial phone call. I think I did fine, but it's hard to say without actually seeing the interviewer's face. At a minimum, it was practice!

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

HOMOEROTIC JESUS posted:

People seem to like working with me, but the jury is still out on not being an oddball! (or not writing poo poo code or following processes). Anyway, yeah, I'm also optimistic towards my job prospects. Machine learning and data science are pretty hot these days.

As for the interview, it ended up being all technical questions, which seemed strange for an initial phone call. I think I did fine, but it's hard to say without actually seeing the interviewer's face. At a minimum, it was practice!

I can't imagine a poster by the name of HOMOEROTIC JESUS writing bad code.

Thats a very startup-founded-by-inexperienced-science-people phone interview to have. Was that your read?

EDIT: In case you want advice: If this is a Series A or pre Series A startup I'd call that a red flag worthy of further inquisition. If its 50+ employees post Series A, its kinda odd for a phone interview and I'd have more follow up questions for you like who did you talk to, are they having technical people do phone interviews?

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Aug 19, 2023

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

CarForumPoster posted:

I can't imagine a poster by the name of HOMOEROTIC JESUS writing bad code.

<3

CarForumPoster posted:

Thats a very startup-founded-by-inexperienced-science-people phone interview to have. Was that your read?

EDIT: In case you want advice: If this is a Series A or pre Series A startup I'd call that a red flag worthy of further inquisition. If its 50+ employees post Series A, its kinda odd for a phone interview and I'd have more follow up questions for you like who did you talk to, are they having technical people do phone interviews?

Yes, that was definitely my read from the interview. The interviewer was a head engineer there, I think mainly because they have no dedicated HR person on account of being small (~20 people at their US site).

I was finally able to chat with my friend at the startup, and it sounds like the company just got Series A funding. Said friend is enjoying their time over there, claiming great work-life balance, solid pay, good coworkers/management, and interesting problems to work on. They've been at the company for several months now, and they gave a hearty recommendation for the job so long as my partner and I wanted to live in the area. This mostly addressed my concerns, but I'm still wary of startups due to their storied propensity to fail unexpectedly and catastrophically whilst being exhausting sweatshops.

Anyway, there's little point in worrying about it unless I get an offer or a followup interview. I intend to keep applying and interviewing elsewhere.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

HOMOEROTIC JESUS posted:

<3

Yes, that was definitely my read from the interview. The interviewer was a head engineer there, I think mainly because they have no dedicated HR person on account of being small (~20 people at their US site).

I was finally able to chat with my friend at the startup, and it sounds like the company just got Series A funding. Said friend is enjoying their time over there, claiming great work-life balance, solid pay, good coworkers/management, and interesting problems to work on. They've been at the company for several months now, and they gave a hearty recommendation for the job so long as my partner and I wanted to live in the area. This mostly addressed my concerns, but I'm still wary of startups due to their storied propensity to fail unexpectedly and catastrophically whilst being exhausting sweatshops.

Anyway, there's little point in worrying about it unless I get an offer or a followup interview. I intend to keep applying and interviewing elsewhere.

mmmm its like a succulent bite of cheesecake every time I nail a prediction *shudders priapically*

Red flag. Specifically, its a red flag for "founders cant manage cash/headcount and product, will burn through it failing unexpectedly". Head engineer phone interviewing at a small company is normal. Hell, that's me and my job. That said, doing a grilling technical PHONE interview hints at some personality risks.
Why are they prioritizing technical grilling over understanding whether this person can work with the other team members? Is this the type of place that likes brilliant jerks?
Why are they mostly asking technical questions rather than selling YOU on working there? You left unconvinced that their startup didnt have the technical startup problems. They should sell such that you dont think that quickly. Instaed you left with a feeling that it was odd any it makes you less likely to hold on other interviews meaning their chance of landing you is lower. This hints at inexperience.

Without details from the other side I can't really KNOW whats going on there, but based on stereotypes I'd call this company a risky startup. That said, just because its risky doesnt mean it isnt an awesome opportunity. Just means you need to calculate expected value differently than you would with a big pharma company or something.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The YOSPOS interview thread has some good guidelines on how to assess startups in the first few posts. Worth a look if you're interested.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

ultrafilter posted:

The YOSPOS interview thread has some good guidelines on how to assess startups in the first few posts. Worth a look if you're interested.

Good suggestion. I reviewed this just now and generally agree with it. That said, some of it might not apply much to OP if they just raised a series A. The questions and analysis presented are really for Series B+....while yea youre on the path to public once you hit a priced round youre a lot more committed once youre on Series C/D because your valuation is too high to get acquired by all but a few companies and it be a worthwhile outcome for the B round leaders.

So heres my take on those 4 good questions for OP:

1) Rather than cash in the bank, I'd ask about runway if they hire according to plan in the next 2 months. If they have no idea, thats a MASSIVE RED FLAG for the reasons mentioned in my prev post about this particular startup. Under 16-18 months I'd start to worry. Under a year I would not work there, full stop.
2) Agree with the answer ITT. "Tell me about a time the founders disagreed. What happened?" is a good question at any stage. Especially if theyre a brilliant jerks employer risk. You're looking for pauses where they try to figure out a politically correct answer. If they hesitate to answer, you need to probe on this. Do not work at a startup where the founders are at odds, period.
3) At a Series A id expect the founders still retain control of the board seats. Asking about this might be helpful, but what you do with the info is different than B+. A startup at Series A is riskier if they dont control board seats because it, again, implies they either dont know what theyre doing (too early to cede control) or they needed to cede control of the board in order to raise on favorable terms. While I havent raised money since 2019, some friends have and I hear that startup funding isnt in crazy stupid land like it was a couple years ago. This means the board seats at series A analysis gets a little murkier and if your role is just an IC youre prob not gonna learn too much from a Series A startup asking this question because situations vary on what the right call is far more than what they can explain in an interview. Series B+ you would.
4) Agree with the general answer in that thread.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Aug 19, 2023

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

CarForumPoster posted:

mmmm its like a succulent bite of cheesecake every time I nail a prediction *shudders priapically*

Red flag. Specifically, its a red flag for "founders cant manage cash/headcount and product, will burn through it failing unexpectedly". Head engineer phone interviewing at a small company is normal. Hell, that's me and my job. That said, doing a grilling technical PHONE interview hints at some personality risks.
Why are they prioritizing technical grilling over understanding whether this person can work with the other team members? Is this the type of place that likes brilliant jerks?
Why are they mostly asking technical questions rather than selling YOU on working there? You left unconvinced that their startup didnt have the technical startup problems. They should sell such that you dont think that quickly. Instaed you left with a feeling that it was odd any it makes you less likely to hold on other interviews meaning their chance of landing you is lower. This hints at inexperience.

Without details from the other side I can't really KNOW whats going on there, but based on stereotypes I'd call this company a risky startup. That said, just because its risky doesnt mean it isnt an awesome opportunity. Just means you need to calculate expected value differently than you would with a big pharma company or something.

Yup, great questions and reasonable assumptions. It puzzles me to have this sort of technical screening without, at a minimum, a Zoom call so people can use a whiteboard to work through answers in front of the interviewer. I've heard they've had trouble filling this position; they had hired one person who reneged before their start date to go to another company, and other candidates thereafter have had grossly inadequate technical skills. That explains a little bit why they started off with the technical interview. But I'm not really sure they're offering enough money to lure in the candidate they are looking for. The tippy-top of their range is $160k, which at best is a tepid salary for ML guys right now. Factoring in that they're looking for a technically-skilled ML engineer with relevant biomedical domain knowledge to work at a startup with who-knows-what funding... something needs to budge to make the number look right.

So, anyway, you are very right in that they need to do better about selling the position to applicants. Especially when machine learning engineers have their pick of jobs these days. You can't just give off bad vibes about your startup and expect applicants to be eager to accept offers.

1) Based on what I know about their funding, they should be fine for about 1.5 to 2 years. I don't know for sure, though.
2) Wish I could have asked about the relationship between the founders in the interview, for sure, but it sounds like they get along well based on my friend's assessment.
3) Founders still retain control of the board.
4) Asking about the changes the interviewer had seen would have been great, but alas I did not. My understanding outside of the interview is that they have spent the last year developing prototypes of their product. They now have potential clients testing it while various aspects are refined further.

That YOSPOS thread looks like a great resource, thanks ultrafilter!

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

HOMOEROTIC JESUS posted:

Yup, great questions and reasonable assumptions. It puzzles me to have this sort of technical screening without, at a minimum, a Zoom call so people can use a whiteboard to work through answers in front of the interviewer. I've heard they've had trouble filling this position; they had hired one person who reneged before their start date to go to another company, and other candidates thereafter have had grossly inadequate technical skills. That explains a little bit why they started off with the technical interview. But I'm not really sure they're offering enough money to lure in the candidate they are looking for. The tippy-top of their range is $160k, which at best is a tepid salary for ML guys right now. Factoring in that they're looking for a technically-skilled ML engineer with relevant biomedical domain knowledge to work at a startup with who-knows-what funding... something needs to budge to make the number look right.

So, anyway, you are very right in that they need to do better about selling the position to applicants. Especially when machine learning engineers have their pick of jobs these days. You can't just give off bad vibes about your startup and expect applicants to be eager to accept offers.

1) Based on what I know about their funding, they should be fine for about 1.5 to 2 years. I don't know for sure, though.
2) Wish I could have asked about the relationship between the founders in the interview, for sure, but it sounds like they get along well based on my friend's assessment.
3) Founders still retain control of the board.
4) Asking about the changes the interviewer had seen would have been great, but alas I did not. My understanding outside of the interview is that they have spent the last year developing prototypes of their product. They now have potential clients testing it while various aspects are refined further.

That YOSPOS thread looks like a great resource, thanks ultrafilter!

I mean...theyre gonna have another interview before offer, right? Ask then. I hope theyre not making an offer with a number on phone interview, if so...another red flag. If they do, dont join for less than 1% of the company which they cant give you because their Series A employee option pool is prob 10%.

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

CarForumPoster posted:

I mean...theyre gonna have another interview before offer, right? Ask then. I hope theyre not making an offer with a number on phone interview, if so...another red flag. If they do, dont join for less than 1% of the company which they cant give you because their Series A employee option pool is prob 10%.

That's great advice. The questions will definitely come out when/if the follow up interviews occur.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

HOMOEROTIC JESUS posted:

That's great advice. The questions will definitely come out when/if the follow up interviews occur.

lol if they dont interview you and try to get you sounds like they cant fill

its a good BATNA though, use their offer to get a better offer

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
What's the resume etiquette for namedropping customers you´re deployed with? i.e., I work for company X but I'm deployed within a FAANG and one of the world's largest hedge funds.

My employer's handbook doesn't have any specific rules about not disclosing who we're deployed with.

Edit: also jfc, I'd forgotten how much I hated coming up with resume bullshit, but mine was due for a refresh.

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Aug 20, 2023

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Kinda depends on role.

I’d say mentioning in the first bullet of the job on the resume ins indisputably kosher

Putting:
Apple Inc. (Contractor) 2021-2023

is prob okay too but there’s a minor prestige difference between being a FAANG employee like the difference between working for NASA and Jacobs or the Department of Justice and Leidos

Yes you do the same job but one doesn’t quite have the brand of the other. So don’t pretend.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

we're gonna need a different moniker for J. Random Company than "Company X" in the tech field

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I refrain from naming big customers so that I have the option of telling detailed stories in the interview. You may be able to use some key descriptions like Fortune 500, publicly traded, high compliance banking customer, or else says it's a big deal

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, that was my instinct as well. I've been trying to figure out what about these being huge players adds any value to my CV other than their name, and came to the conclusion that it's mostly about one of them being very detail oriented (hedge fund) and the other being involved in a diverse set of deals (FAANG), so I think I'm going to stick with that and save the namedrop for the actual interview.

Trickortreat
Oct 31, 2020
If you made it past the initial screening but you have to then fill out a 10 question form (all the questions seem to have been pulled from googling job interview questions), have you really made it past the initial screening?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I've actually had interview processes where I've made it past HR to the team leads and then HR will jump back in with a personality test or some such nonsense.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I know this is a 10 year old OP, but I wanted to point out a piece of it that I disagreed with, particularly the bolded part:

quote:

Startups/Technology Jobs -- your resume doesn't matter as long as you have enough buzzwords on it for the recruiter to send you along. From that point, the screenings are all very technical and as long as you know your poo poo technically, you will almost certainly get a job offer out of it. Technical companies do a bad job of caring about anything other than technical skill, so basically none of this thread applies to you.

It's been my experience applying for software engineering jobs that interviews are less technical than described above and focused more on finding the right company, team, and culture fit. Certainly you still need to mention past experience and of course this will involve speaking in technical terms, but I feel like the weight has been 80/20 in terms of behavioral type questions vs. technical ones. I've interviewed with about 10 medium to large companies so far and I've had to do a grand total of one coding test, for instance. This surprised me but I did some research and apparently there has been a shift away from favoring pure technical know-how to favoring company fit, at least when it comes to software engineering and adjacent roles.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It depends on the company and your experience level, but yes, the days when every engineer could count on a purely technical interview are over.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I’m in mid-career electrical engineering and this is true for me as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

For anyone else looking for computer toucher jobs, does it feel like something changed this month? Employers have been way more responsive and recruiters seem much more active too.