Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Assepoester posted:

The best part was the "well when the game crashes due to running out of memory we just had it throw up a disc read error"

sonic 3D famously did something similar to sneak crashes past certification, if it crashed it would jump to the hidden level select screen and present it as if the user had done something to make it happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

TheScott2K posted:

I have such a soft spot for Doom 3 I ebayed the steelbook version of the xbox port just to have it. Lucked out, too, pretty sure the original owner never took it off the shelf.

I liked Half-Life 2 at the time but I'd much rather replay Doom 3.

This is lovely, might try and track it down myself.

Yeah Doom 3 is a “comfy” game for me. I just really dig it. I agree with those who say the weapon feel could be better but I always have a good time with it. Nice mix of nostalgia, those super clean early 2000’s PC visuals that hold up super well, love the atmosphere and dark etc..

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Beyond the weapon issues, it always felt like Doom 3 couldn't quite reconcile the intentionally(?) somewhat campy haunted house aspects with the seemingly dead serious tough and macho shooter game for tough and macho boys stank that infested a lot of games. They just sort of awkwardly exist in parallel with no self-awareness or irony or anything. Like man, imagine refactoring Doom 3 into a House of the Dead game.

Bare minimum, it's always annoyed me that you're obligated to check emails and audio logs for locker codes, but the writing on them is so repetitive and boring.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

repiv posted:

sonic 3D famously did something similar to sneak crashes past certification, if it crashed it would jump to the hidden level select screen and present it as if the user had done something to make it happen

The old Twinstick Arcade SMASH TV also had a similar fudge, I remember triggering it a few times playing the game way back when and wondering what I did to get the 'SECRET WARP' :o:

quote:

https://tcrf.net/Smash_T.V._(Arcade)

In Revision 5.00, an error handler in the form of a "secret warp" was added to the game to mask some hard-to-locate bugs. A special flag is set in CMOS when a game is started, and cleared when it ends via normal means; if the game crashes or hangs for more than a few seconds, a watchdog timer resets the hardware, and the boot code checks this flag. If it is set, the game skips the usual hardware tests, checks a few variables (such as the player scores) to make sure they're valid, and jumps to the "secret warp" screen (the "#3" is a red herring; there are no other warps). In a one player game, the player will receive 13 of each prize; in a two player game, Player 1 will receive 26 of each prize, while Player 2 will receive 39 of each prize. After the prizes are tallied, the game progresses to the next level.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Sir Lemming posted:

Either way, it's probably safe to say he wasn't quite the workhorse he is these days.
I mean, horse was definitely part of the problem…

Also I think “disc read error” was the go-to default error message on the 360 in the event of a crash.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

John Murdoch posted:

Bare minimum, it's always annoyed me that you're obligated to check emails and audio logs for locker codes, but the writing on them is so repetitive and boring.

Selaco seem like it's gonna have this. Did FEAR have this type of thing, since it's way more of a FEAR-like than D3

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

Selaco seem like it's gonna have this. Did FEAR have this type of thing, since it's way more of a FEAR-like than D3

FEAR didn't have lockers to open, but it did have laptop/data logs to collect.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

On an alternative note, where did this thread settle on Supplice?

It’s currently on sale and I feel like picking up a new game, to go with the other new games I haven’t played yet and the old games I can’t stop playing.

Tempted between Supplice or the slightly adjacent to this threads interests, Jupiter Hell. Typically not super keen on rogue likes though for the latter.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Bumhead posted:

It’s currently on sale and I feel like picking up a new game, to go with the other new games I haven’t played yet and the old games I can’t stop playing.

Tempted between Supplice or the slightly adjacent to this threads interests, Jupiter Hell. Typically not super keen on rogue likes though for the latter.

Supplice isn't anywhere near finished yet. It has one full episode and one teaser map for a second episode.

That said, if you've played Back to Saturn X Episode 2 and the like and want to give some money for a GZDoom TC along those lines, you'll get that quality.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Aug 5, 2023

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The new levels in ROTT: Ludicrous Edition are excellent. Really fun and well-designed.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I know we've talked about it in here before, but it bears repeating that SS4's level design is really one of the strangest things I've seen in a while. Here's a massive worldspace--basically a map straight out of an ARMA game--and most of the time there's no established boundaries to the intended level "space". You can just wander off for kilometers across forests and hills.

This unlocked a deep-seated memory of playing Delta Force Black Hawk Down multiplayer in high school, which similarly had no map boundaries. So many people styled themselves snipers and would go out for a hike in the trackless desert to find a good perch overlooking the actual map.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I know we've talked about it in here before, but it bears repeating that SS4's level design is really one of the strangest things I've seen in a while. Here's a massive worldspace--basically a map straight out of an ARMA game--and most of the time there's no established boundaries to the intended level "space". You can just wander off for kilometers across forests and hills.

It's an artifact of them building a different open-world game, and then just reusing the data for SS4, yeah? It's something like a big chunk of France or something, IIRC.

It is pretty hilarious that you can really just keep walking, though.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Bumhead posted:

Jupiter Hell was the game that made me realize that no, Roguelikes are not for me. I've played a few, in many genres, but I always end up quitting because I can never make any real progress. Jupiter Hell's an okay game, but the fact that everything starts converging on you the second you make a sound, paired with a tendency for levels to be made with large spaces in a game where most of the combat for you and the enemy is ranged, caused me to lose so much. I don't think it's going to win you over.

I'm waiting until Supplice is out of EA to pick it up. What I saw from Icarus trying it out a while back was solid enough. I'm still in the middle of Boltgun - good stuff, but I'm getting all the complaints of uneven level design and damage sponge enemies (holy crap that first boss was a mess).

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The new levels in ROTT: Ludicrous Edition are excellent. Really fun and well-designed.

That's really nice to know because with my huge backlog, ROTT wasn't up there in my list for giving it again more time. Everyone says that the port is fantastic and well, at least the new levels will make up the price.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Supplice shows a lot of promise. The art in it is great.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Guillermus posted:

That's really nice to know because with my huge backlog, ROTT wasn't up there in my list for giving it again more time. Everyone says that the port is fantastic and well, at least the new levels will make up the price.

Definitely. It’s well worth the price. It runs like a dream on Steam Deck.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Grimthwacker posted:

I'm waiting until Supplice is out of EA to pick it up. What I saw from Icarus trying it out a while back was solid enough. I'm still in the middle of Boltgun - good stuff, but I'm getting all the complaints of uneven level design and damage sponge enemies (holy crap that first boss was a mess).

The bosses sponginess bothered me a lot less than the default enemies since you probably wouldn't chuck a vortex grenade at the plague toads. Seriously those things would be a bear at half HP

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

John Murdoch posted:

Beyond the weapon issues, it always felt like Doom 3 couldn't quite reconcile the intentionally(?) somewhat campy haunted house aspects with the seemingly dead serious tough and macho shooter game for tough and macho boys stank that infested a lot of games. They just sort of awkwardly exist in parallel with no self-awareness or irony or anything. Like man, imagine refactoring Doom 3 into a House of the Dead game.

It always felt kinda like they knew you, the player, would see things as absurd, but tried to make it so everyone in universe took it completely serious at face value. Like the chainsaw shipment.

This was a few years before the super seriousness seemed to take everything over, at least to my recollection. I feel like that polluted everything after Modern Warfare became an insane hit.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Eventually you notice that almost all the logs have a template. “The other day I had a weird feeling in one particular area, like it was full of demons or something. They sent in some guy to investigate and later on they found his body parts strewn all over the place. I dunno man, it made me kinda wonder what’s going on. Anyway, the locker code is 123”

haveblue fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Aug 5, 2023

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
It's been ten weeks since I saw Susan. Our last contact was a furious row over who was going to look after her mother while she recovered from the treatments. Hopefully the money I've saved working the night shifts in alpha labs will be enough to cover the insurance bills. The stress has really been getting to me recently, though. I've heard her voice whispering to me late at night from under the floor panels. Also I put some loose bullets in the tool cabinet, code is 42069

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Speaking of Selaco I tried my weekly venture to twatter to see if any release date and man it looks so good and promising. I might be anticipating it more than Cultic Ch2. Does anyone know why I can look up Selaco on twitter but the beyond sunset account sends me to a sign in?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Milo and POTUS posted:

Does anyone know why I can look up Selaco on twitter but the beyond sunset account sends me to a sign in?
Website’s in a slight state of disarray, if you can believe that.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
The ROTT remaster is indeed quite good. Though one of the more infamous levels is still a bitch and a half:

Meet Rocky Plateau, a super wide open level where the whole objective is to hope you stumble across the touchplates that act as triggers to open the secret walls, which then contain more touchplates that open walls somewhere else in the level. Back and forth. Back and forth. Touchplates open walls to switches across the level, which opens a wall across the level again to a hidden touchplate.

That's 25/26 secrets found in the level. :shepface:

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

I tried making ROTT's answer to nuts.wad and crashed the editor lmao

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

manero posted:

It's an artifact of them building a different open-world game, and then just reusing the data for SS4, yeah? It's something like a big chunk of France or something, IIRC.

It is pretty hilarious that you can really just keep walking, though.

That was the case with Serious Sam 3's aesthetic to my understanding: the devs were formerly working on some modern military shooter that didn't pan out, so they repurposed the assets for SS3.

With regards to SS4, I'm not sure if it's the exact same thing, but they definitely seemed to have intended for something else before they had to scale back the scope of the game. For example, people have mentioned that the Pompei level is 92km² (or basically ~8,400 square kilometers); in the "A Breakfast in France" level, it's possibly closer to ~17,000(!) square kilometers. It's absolutely berserk that these maps are larger than a lot of open world games, and 99% of the space isn't used for any real purpose.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

croteam have an ancient curse where everything they touch turns to Serious Sam. whatever they try to make, however hard they try, all that will come out is serious sam, and the harder they try the worse that serious sam game will turn out to be.

the one time they tried to just make a serious sam game, we got SS2 which was actually pretty great (if saddled with the worst humor that exists outside of DNF)

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

That was the case with Serious Sam 3's aesthetic to my understanding: the devs were formerly working on some modern military shooter that didn't pan out, so they repurposed the assets for SS3.

With regards to SS4, I'm not sure if it's the exact same thing, but they definitely seemed to have intended for something else before they had to scale back the scope of the game. For example, people have mentioned that the Pompei level is 92km² (or basically ~8,400 square kilometers); in the "A Breakfast in France" level, it's possibly closer to ~17,000(!) square kilometers. It's absolutely berserk that these maps are larger than a lot of open world games, and 99% of the space isn't used for any real purpose.

SS3 also reused several enemies/assets from the proposal they gave id to make a third-party Doom game after Doom 4 was cancelled mid-development. Which, in combination with the canceled military shooter, makes the game feel like a sort of unsatisfying grab bag. And I can’t comment on SS4, I legit gave up after a half hour. I want to root for Croteam, but ever since SS2 it feels like they’re stretched too thin to fully execute.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I'm the little paper that came with Doom 3 warning players of the terrifying video game that lied within.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

juggalo baby coffin posted:

croteam have an ancient curse where everything they touch turns to Serious Sam. whatever they try to make, however hard they try, all that will come out is serious sam, and the harder they try the worse that serious sam game will turn out to be.

the one time they tried to just make a serious sam game, we got SS2 which was actually pretty great (if saddled with the worst humor that exists outside of DNF)

Yeah the exception to this being The Talos Principle, which is fantastic in my opinion. Hopefully TTP2 is just as good.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Talos Principle is a genuinely fantastic game, brilliantly written. I think they are working on a sequel. Never liked any Serious Sam game, though. They look and play well enough but get boring really quickly.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Talos is incredible

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It’s brilliant. One of my fave games in recent years.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Bumhead posted:

supplice is great, even if it's just the one episode so far. it's in ea so, shockingly, the 2-3month timeline per episode they originally advertised was off the mark. but i would still recommend it.

jupiter hell i dropped pretty quick after discovering it was a grid turn based thing and not a twin stick shooter. booooring

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Terminally Bored posted:

Talos Principle is a genuinely fantastic game, brilliantly written. I think they are working on a sequel. Never liked any Serious Sam game, though. They look and play well enough but get boring really quickly.

Yes! It is one of my favorite games from that golden age of 2015-2019. Incredible writing, great puzzles. I don’t think I’ve ever been more satisfied finishing a game like that one.

The DLC is brutal and hilarious too.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Jupiter Hell is one of two roguelikes I’ve ever beaten more than once. the other one is DCSS and 2/3 of those wins were gargoyle fighter :negative: But anyway I liked Jupiter Hell even back when it was DoomRL, and I think it’s a pretty good game. It’s much more forgiving and easier to approach than the average roguelike, for $10 I’d buy it.

Supplice is a pretty decent GZDoom scenario with Marathon-style terminals for plot. (The plot is also Marathon-style) In this case the terminals are basically future interstellar megacorp twitter, which is kind of a funny take on the format. But also it’s kind of like reading twitter to figure out what’s going on, so ymmv. It’s well made but it’s coming along slowly though, I don’t expect a finished game for a couple years.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

juggalo baby coffin posted:

But their best game is The Talos Principle, which isn't a SS game... edit (oh, too late...)

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Arivia posted:

FEAR didn't have lockers to open, but it did have laptop/data logs to collect.

Though even beyond the lack of locker codes, the way FEAR implemented and used those collectibles is still miles away from how Doom 3 did it.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Sir Lemming posted:

I can't remember what thread it was, but recently someone was discussing this and the clearest explanation seems to be here:

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/25348-trent-reznor-clarifies-involvement/

It sounds like they had some incredibly ambitious plans for the sound design, which honestly might have been too ambitious to ever work out in reality. But also, management apparently said No.

People were also wondering why he didn't do Quake 2, and that definitely would've been a bad time for him. Either way, it's probably safe to say he wasn't quite the workhorse he is these days.

Yeah nowadays he's everywhere, like I went and saw that new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie(which was excellent by the way) and bam there he is in the end credits

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
He did the score for Manke too which I believe was his first properly fully non-electronic arrangement (Manke is good too if you haven't seen it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thedangergroove
Nov 14, 2004
Long for karate day.
Oh man I would watch a biopic about Neil Manke