Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaston Bachelard
Mar 26, 2009

When the image is new, the world is new.
Yeah 7th/8th okay but I'm hard out on Kamara if he jumps to the 5th. As has been mentioned, Jamaal Williams and the 220lb third rounder figure to all but erase his red zone usage, is my guess!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
If anyone is interested, we have an opening in the 20 team fantasy league. Just show up and post in the thread and claim your spot!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4034960&perpage=40&pagenumber=1&noseen=1

We’re planning to have a live draft order reveal via Draft Rumble soon, possibly Sunday night. Join us!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Re ^^^^ If you're unsure, I highly recommend the 20 team league. Last year was my first year and I loved every second of it.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Who would have thought a WR2 to move up a few draft spots would be such a contentious trade. Seemed innocuous and it might implode the league lol. It did go through 5-4 though.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Gaston Bachelard posted:

Yeah 7th/8th okay but I'm hard out on Kamara if he jumps to the 5th. As has been mentioned, Jamaal Williams and the 220lb third rounder figure to all but erase his red zone usage, is my guess!

Don't forget Taysom too

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Pain of Mind posted:

Who would have thought a WR2 to move up a few draft spots would be such a contentious trade. Seemed innocuous and it might implode the league lol. It did go through 5-4 though.

Didn't you say the guy complaining is not even in the league anymore? What the hell is going on here?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Sataere posted:

Didn't you say the guy complaining is not even in the league anymore? What the hell is going on here?

yeah I want some deets :allears:

Some people are so loving weird about fantasy. Last year an old high school buddy spun up a new league that was mostly friends who grew up together and filled in with misc brothers in law and college roommates etc. Buy in was maybe $100? Total bullshit home league, who cares. Toward the deadline a trade went through that very likely favored one side but was still totally reasonable. One guy from the extended family side of the league had a nuclear meltdown over it, sending extremely rude reply-all emails and group texts nonstop to the guy he felt "lost" the trade for being a moron and undermining the integrity of the league. I actually thought he was doing a bit for a while until he made it very clear he really was that mad. He had never met the man he was going to war with, who was best friends with like 80% of the league, so uh yeah trade tantrum guy isn't in the league anymore lol. I assume he still feels like he was in the right and we're a bunch of assholes.

I obsess way too much about fantasy and I don't know what could possibly make me burn bridges with longtime friends and family over an unremarkable goddam fantasy trade. Maybe if the buyin was many thousands of dollars but I also wouldn't get myself into that spot in the first place.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Aug 5, 2023

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Docjowles posted:

yeah I want some deets :allears:

Some people are so loving weird about fantasy. Last year an old high school buddy spun up a new league that was mostly friends who grew up together and filled in with misc brothers in law and college roommates etc. Buy in was maybe $100? Total bullshit home league, who cares. Toward the deadline a trade went through that very likely favored one side but was still totally reasonable. One guy from the extended family side of the league had a nuclear meltdown over it, sending extremely rude reply-all emails and group texts nonstop to the guy he felt "lost" the trade for being a moron and undermining the integrity of the league. I actually thought he was doing a bit for a while until he made it very clear he really was that mad. He had never met the man he was going to war with, who was best friends with like 80% of the league, so uh yeah trade tantrum guy isn't in the league anymore lol. I assume he still feels like he was in the right and we're a bunch of assholes.

I obsess way too much about fantasy and I don't know what could possibly make me burn bridges with longtime friends and family over an unremarkable goddam fantasy trade. Maybe if the buyin was many thousands of dollars but I also wouldn't get myself into that spot in the first place.

Sometimes you get a moment like this where a person melts down for half a season and when the season ends, it turns out he was incredibly wrong about his rant and the guy he berated for being an idiot wins the league. Those moments are why I still play fantasy football.

In my old work league, I had to almost fight the commish to approve a trade because everyone thought I was being ripped off and I had to point out that I was ripping the other guy off and he said it's still not fair and I yelled NONE OF US KNOWS WHAT WE'RE DOING!

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Yeah exactly. This was not the trade in question but imagine last year you traded Deebo Samuel for idk Josh Jacobs and Jamaal Williams before week 1. People probably would have thought the side giving up Deebo was a psychopath but it would have been a league winning move. We make educated guesses but nobody really knows what the hell we're doing.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

Sataere posted:

Apparently he is back in the league after being out of it for about 5 years. It is a BML (but not big enough to really matter, no one is doing it for the income) so a lot of teams have co-owners and he rejoined as a partner with another team currently in the league. He is still ranting about it, and he is currently emailing me a combination of bad NFL trades or comparisons to Hunter Biden.

I do not think he and his partner understand the keeper rules, they are treating it like a straight Hopkins for pick #1, because the first round pick I traded back does not count because my trade partner is going to elect to keep a player there. They are completely ignoring that we swapped first round spots, even after multiple people have tried to explain it. The league has been going on more than 20 years and that is how keepers have always worked, the player you keep for that round ... is that rounds pick?

Other teams voted no as well, one votes no to every trade that does not involve them, and a few complained that it alters that draft order, because with the team I traded with keeping the player they would have drafted anyway at #1 now further behind them in the first round, and me drafting in front of them, the teams between the picks are getting pushed back a pick until it catches up with my original spot. The team at #2 no longer has the first choice of free agent (subtracting the player my trade partner was going to keep anyway), now they have the second free agent pick.

The funny thing is, I thought people would complain about the pick being unfair in the other direction, since my trade partner does not make any sacrifice since they will have the same first round player anyway, while my benefit is just moving up 3-5 spots in the first round (depending on other keepers), and there are enough good players left that it is more of a lateral move. I have more choices of players to draft moving up, but there is not much distance between them. Even at my original spot I could grab someone good like Kelce or whatever that very well could be more valuable than whoever I grab at #1.

Hopefully it is coherent, had to pick up people from the airport last night 4 hours ago and the coffee has not kicked in yet.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Aug 5, 2023

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Pain of Mind posted:

comparisons to Hunter Biden.

You are trying to logic with crazy, got it.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Even outside the crazy guy, this poo poo feels like why I've quit other leagues. It is also why the leagues I do run I make it clear from the beginning that I alone have veto power on trades and I only veto for collusion. I'd also kick people from a league if they thought it was okay to berate people. Mainly, it is this.

Drunk Nerds posted:

You are trying to logic with crazy, got it.

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!

Pain of Mind posted:

Insane Leaguemate Chat

Yeah woof. I’m very glad none of my leagues have this type of owner in it because this just sounds exhausting.

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

you talkin' to me Sheriff?

oh... I thought you was talkin' to me.

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS
Solution: no votes on trades. Instant trades. Once I was in a league that did that (SA dynasty) I’ve managed to now only be in leagues that do that. I’d never go back to waiting two days and waiting for weird rationale for group vetoes. Trades are … agreements between the parties trading. Unless it’s obvious collusion or some weird poo poo going on (often hard to show/prove anyway), all trades shouldn’t be group decisions, based on hurt feelings or whatever.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

EconDad posted:

Solution: no votes on trades. Instant trades. Once I was in a league that did that (SA dynasty) I’ve managed to now only be in leagues that do that. I’d never go back to waiting two days and waiting for weird rationale for group vetoes. Trades are … agreements between the parties trading. Unless it’s obvious collusion or some weird poo poo going on (often hard to show/prove anyway), all trades shouldn’t be group decisions, based on hurt feelings or whatever.

It has never made sense to me that someone decided that people who have a rooting interest in everyone around them failing should have a say in how their opponents run their team. When you actually think about it, it is the dumbest idea ever.

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!

Sataere posted:

It has never made sense to me that someone decided that people who have a rooting interest in everyone around them failing should have a say in how their opponents run their team. When you actually think about it, it is the dumbest idea ever.

It’s less having a say in how the idiot is running their team and more about not wanting the guy who already has CMC, Chase, and Hurts to somehow convince the idiot to do a bad trade.

Every year we have a guy who gets fleeced and a vocal minority makes a huge stink about it and the end result is always “Well if you accuse him of being that bad at trading then why didn’t you fleece him?”

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Whoreson Welles posted:

It’s less having a say in how the idiot is running their team and more about not wanting the guy who already has CMC, Chase, and Hurts to somehow convince the idiot to do a bad trade.

Every year we have a guy who gets fleeced and a vocal minority makes a huge stink about it and the end result is always “Well if you accuse him of being that bad at trading then why didn’t you fleece him?”

Nah, I have been in leagues where everyone just vetoes regardless. That is just dumb.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Agreed vetoing is dumb as hell. Why should Joe rear end in a top hat have any say over what I do with my team. Give the commissioner authority to step in if there’s something insanely bad like trading a kicker for Mahomes. But in almost all cases they should be hands off.

I also fully subscribe to the “if that guy is a total sucker you can scam amazing players from on demand how come you never seem to accomplish it” logic.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea people will veto simply because a team is getting better as a result of a trade. Which is, you know, 90+ percent of trades.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

RCarr posted:

Yea people will veto simply because a team is getting better as a result of a trade. Which is, you know, 90+ percent of trades.

loving this. In my league no one ever trades. There was only one last year proposed and it got voted down

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

One of my redraft leagues started to allow including future draft picks in trades last year. It sparked more trading in one year than like the past 5 combined.

I traded my 2023 fourth for what I thought was the one missing piece of of a championship roster. Then Hurts and Goedert immediately got hurt lmao

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!

Docjowles posted:

Agreed vetoing is dumb as hell. Why should Joe rear end in a top hat have any say over what I do with my team. Give the commissioner authority to step in if there’s something insanely bad like trading a kicker for Mahomes. But in almost all cases they should be hands off.

As commish of my league I try to make this argument constantly, but my leaguemates bring up a good point. At what point is it considered “insanely bad”? That’s what makes the push for ditching vetoing tough in most leagues because they kind of have a point. Like yeah CMC for Skyy Moore is horrid, but idk man maybe one of the owners is kiimo.

I’m also just playing devil’s advocate because I try to see reason from the rest of my league, but we’ve also only had one veto in 12 years and the trade voted to pass anyway so it’s not as big of a problem for us. In leagues where there are constant bullshit vetos I could definitely see a better argument for eliminating them.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Whoreson Welles posted:

As commish of my league I try to make this argument constantly, but my leaguemates bring up a good point. At what point is it considered “insanely bad”? That’s what makes the push for ditching vetoing tough in most leagues because they kind of have a point. Like yeah CMC for Skyy Moore is horrid, but idk man maybe one of the owners is kiimo.

I’m also just playing devil’s advocate because I try to see reason from the rest of my league, but we’ve also only had one veto in 12 years and the trade voted to pass anyway so it’s not as big of a problem for us. In leagues where there are constant bullshit vetos I could definitely see a better argument for eliminating them.

As commish, if I think a trade is terrible I make both sides justify how the trade makes their team better. Because if you can't justify it, it is collusion.

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

RCarr posted:

This is it for sure.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Sataere posted:

As commish, if I think a trade is terrible I make both sides justify how the trade makes their team better. Because if you can't justify it, it is collusion.
Right but not every league has a reasonable commish.

I'm dropping out of my work league because the commish doesnt work in the office with the rest of us, doesnt respond to direct messages, and doesnt check with the league about rule changes e.g. I'd love to stop having to deal with motherfucking kickers but no we'll just keep trucking along with the same settings as always.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

I need some advice on my weird keeper league. We keep 2 players at the pick they were first drafted with 20 roster spots. QB, Super Flex, 2 RB, 3 WR, TE, Flex, so QB's are in high demand.

My players I am up in the air about are:
Mahomes- I took him with my first last year, but since I won the league I would get him with the 12th pick, vs knowing he is going first.
Higgins- 15th rounder and my keeper for the last 2 years.
Fields- 5th round, helped me win last year.

Or the hail marry keepers of:
Pickett- 13th
Ridder- 14th
Both of them kind of suck, but will have value as starters in those late rounds.

Any advice from people smarter than me? I am more lost then normal with no Beersheets this year. I am really torn between the value of Higgins and Fields who are both good and some value, vs Mahomes and having the number one pick at 12 vs taking a flyer on probably Pickett?

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

Snowmankilla posted:

I need some advice on my weird keeper league. We keep 2 players at the pick they were first drafted with 20 roster spots. QB, Super Flex, 2 RB, 3 WR, TE, Flex, so QB's are in high demand.

My players I am up in the air about are:
Mahomes- I took him with my first last year, but since I won the league I would get him with the 12th pick, vs knowing he is going first.
Higgins- 15th rounder and my keeper for the last 2 years.
Fields- 5th round, helped me win last year.

Or the hail marry keepers of:
Pickett- 13th
Ridder- 14th
Both of them kind of suck, but will have value as starters in those late rounds.

Any advice from people smarter than me? I am more lost then normal with no Beersheets this year. I am really torn between the value of Higgins and Fields who are both good and some value, vs Mahomes and having the number one pick at 12 vs taking a flyer on probably Pickett?

Edit- saw you can only keep 2. I would go with Mahomes and Higgins, unless you have an idea of how many QBs/WR will be kept and what your option will be for the 13th pick.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Aug 7, 2023

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Pain of Mind posted:

Edit- saw you can only keep 2. I would go with Mahomes and Higgins, unless you have an idea of how many QBs/WR will be kept and what your option will be for the 13th pick.

Think I agree with this. If you throw Mahomes back in who does your first round pick at 12 become? Probably a significant downgrade especially with keepers shrinking the pool of elite players.

I could go either way between Fields and Higgins. If every decent QB is kept and you're facing trotting out Ridder or Baker or something at QB2 I might keep Fields and feel pretty great about my QB situation.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Aug 7, 2023

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Snowmankilla posted:

I am more lost then normal with no Beersheets this year.

Wait, what happened to Beersheets?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

How do you guys feel about Waller in dynasty this year?

Pain of Mind posted:

I agree with this. I was almost tempted to say that I would go with Mahomes at 1 and Fields at 5 to be secure at QB but Higgins at 15 is just too good value to pass up.

RCarr posted:

Wait, what happened to Beersheets?
Programmer who puts it together has to take the year off for personal reasons. I know there are people who know more about it that post in this thread so I'll let them add more info. They are working on a similar alternative that should be available soon.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Aug 7, 2023

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Docjowles posted:

Think I agree with this. If you throw Mahomes back in who does your first round pick at 12 become? Probably a significant downgrade especially with keepers shrinking the pool of elite players.

I could go either way between Fields and Higgins. If every decent QB is kept and you're facing trotting out Ridder or Baker or something at QB2 I might keep Fields and feel pretty great about my QB situation.

Yeah, QBs that are good are usually kept. I only got Mahomes because you can only keep someone 3 years in a row. Mediocre qbs go in the 3-5 range.

I do like the double qb keeper and knowing that I have a great start in the best position. Thanks!

Edit: just read the Higgins opinion. He is great value, I think those are the 3 I need to choose between.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

What if (in a money league) a vote to veto a trade cost money? You'd need some clever thing to do with the cash, like maybe if the trade is vetoed the money goes to those owners, or maybe it goes into a special prize pot.

Just make it actually cost you something to gently caress with someone else's team by blocking their trade.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
In a SF league I'm windmill slamming Mahomes at 12 and Fields anywhere near the second round or later.

Also I've been working with the Beersheets dev and we have an alternative that pulls the same data and customizes it for your league settings, just like the old sheets did.

Beta testing is currently open on our Discord, if you want in pm me.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I disagree with Higgins over Fields in SF. I get the value you are getting with Higgins, but two top five quarterbacks puts you way ahead of the curve.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Hey it's me, the fantasy football noob again. Apparently our draft is an auction draft, where everyone has $200, and in a randomized order we each in turn nominate a player to be auctioned. The league commish says it's typical for 1st picks to go for roughly $60, then a drop off from there.

Anyone have any experience with this? Any tips, particularly related to who to nominate and when? I've been trying to reason it out in my head but I keep going in circles and second-guessing myself.

Like, if there's a player I really want, is it wise for me to nominate, wait for someone else? Neither? Does it even matter?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

That's a typical auction draft.

My only suggestion that has worked for me is to get who you actually believe in even if you have to pay more and then really know who is promising with those 1-2 dollar guys at the end.

I also am a big believer in paying less for a young player than more for an old player. Life comes at you pretty fast and you'll look like a genius paying a couple bucks for a year 2 WR that turns into the next beast.

Like instead of taking the Cooper Kupp type, take the George Pickens type.

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006

Judgy Fucker posted:

Hey it's me, the fantasy football noob again. Apparently our draft is an auction draft, where everyone has $200, and in a randomized order we each in turn nominate a player to be auctioned. The league commish says it's typical for 1st picks to go for roughly $60, then a drop off from there.

Anyone have any experience with this? Any tips, particularly related to who to nominate and when? I've been trying to reason it out in my head but I keep going in circles and second-guessing myself.

Like, if there's a player I really want, is it wise for me to nominate, wait for someone else? Neither? Does it even matter?

Auction is the best way to play fantasy, but also the toughest way to draft. Mine are usually in excess of two hours, and you need to be pretty switched on for the whole thing.

Since you're completely new to fantasy football, my recommendation is to look into the replacement for beer sheets whenever it gets released on https://footballabsurdity.com/.

You just input your league setting and it spits out recommended auction values for the top 200+ players. My experience is that my home league hews pretty close to the listed values.

E: Oh yeah, and don't be afraid to spend your auction money. The best players cost a premium for a reason, and there's usually no benefit to having anything left over.

Ayudo fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Aug 7, 2023

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Judgy Fucker posted:

If you go to the Football Absurdity YouTube page, DrunkNerds and I have some auction videos where we break it down and talk strategy.

The name of the game in auction is getting as much of your opponents money out of the pot as possible. I find the $60 players tend to be top five picks. Rest of the first round will be $50. Second round is in the $40-$50 range. Third will be $25-35.

Find the top guys that you hate and nominate them early. I fade ACL guys, so I have been nominating Breece Hall a lot early just to get $30 to $35 out of one of my opponents stacks early. That is how I treat every nomination.

The more money you have relative to your opponents in the middle stages of the draft, the more control you have in getting the best mid tier guys you can.

The thing is that every auction room is different because everyone has a different approach. Some people will spend 75-80% of their budget on 3 top players. Some people like to get two guys they really like for half their budget and fill out the rest of their roster casually. Sone people only want deals. And there's usually one guy who won't spend any money and ends up with a bunch of overpriced 5th and 6th rounders.

Best thing you can do is do some Yahoo mock drafts with live people in that room and see how people draft.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
So I feel like Mattison would be my keeper this year. Lead back in Minnesota, has had some awesome games while filling in for Cook. To keep him would be a mid7th round pick... ADP is 4th round.

Thoughts? I think its a must.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Auction strategy is definitely its own thing, you can google up articles and podcasts specifically about it. There are also sites that give suggested auction values. Which are better than nothing, especially if you're new to fantasy. But what actually happens in any given draft will probably only loosely resemble this.

Agree with kiimo that if you REALLY want a guy, don't be scared to pay up (within reason). This is like the whole point of auction, you aren't beholden to your randomly assigned draft slot. If you want to be the Mahomes/Kelce team, you can be, you just gotta deal with the price tag and what it means for your flexibility the rest of the way.

It can be useful to nominate guys that aren't your personal favorites, because it removes money from the pool so there's less competition for the dudes you really really want. How well this actually works depends on how savvy the league is.

Pay attention to who's been drafted. If the last "good" player before a big tier drop off in rankings is about to go, he might end up costing a lot more than the last few guys did as people freak out and try to avoid getting shut out. Try not to put yourself in that position where you're panic buying the last good QB.

Don't try to be the value police and bid up a player that you think someone is getting too cheap unless you're willing to end up with him.

bows1 posted:

So I feel like Mattison would be my keeper this year. Lead back in Minnesota, has had some awesome games while filling in for Cook. To keep him would be a mid7th round pick... ADP is 4th round.

Thoughts? I think its a must.

Can't really answer this without knowing your other candidates but he's a solid value sure