Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

genuinely hate it when an ad campaign is effective but you've gotta admit this one is effective

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Wish my dad was still in the Navy so I could ask him what the gently caress is up with those ads.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Was his callsign Ecchi?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

They've got people in the airforce/army/navy to talk about in-jokes or code words they have with their friends, and put them on posters to provoke exactly that kind of "uh, wtf" reaction. If you scan the QR code it takes you to the website which has a video of the people explaining the story behind each word. The anime one is just "I like anime and my friend here speaks Japanese". They aren't necessarily call signs or nicknames or anything.

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Army nicknames are great, like calling a dude "Patches" because he was partway through a brozilian laser hair removal by the time he got sent to bootcamp.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

bike tory posted:

If you scan the QR code
that's not happening, i work in IT.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

bike tory posted:

scan the QR code

Most deranged thing you've posted itt, possibly ever

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

jizzy sillage posted:

Army nicknames are great, like calling a dude "Patches" because he was partway through a brozilian laser hair removal by the time he got sent to bootcamp.

On the other hand, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DW3dg9VURMU

mweb
Mar 14, 2019
:five: :nsamad:

I heard another rumor from disinformation prone telegram that Cameron Slater has had another stroke, but I dont believe it because it would make the news media, and if it made the news that would be the only thing he is notable for in the news in quite a few years.

Edit: More context, Cameron slater is notable for having had a major stroke while undergoing charges for defamation, which he lost in court about

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I do genuinely appreciate the malice that goes into keeping such close track of whether Cam Slater has had a stroke, because he absolutely deserves it, but I don't think we need updates on when you think he hasn't had a stroke too.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Is this the same rumour you posted about in April?

mweb posted:

I heard again this rumor that Cameron Slater has had yet another stroke or series of strokes or that the result of his last stroke is bad and causing continuing complications, and he is not in good shape and trying to hide it from the media. One poster in a telegram group chat said he was incontinent but I cannot confirm any of this and it may be a total fabrication

Or more like the time you went on about him again in June?

mweb posted:

Can I say how awesome it is that Rawshark has evaded police all the way in 2023. I imagine them somewhere, living their best life.

Isnt it awesome when they rubbed Cameron Slaters criminal face in the dirt and denied him work in the future

Where is Cameron Slater these days ? Irrelevant, hated, stroke-having, not much going on

Again I want to emphasize how cool it is Rawshark has evaded police and if they have got this far its likely they will never be caught, if they are that good at this. I just think the criminality that was involved was awesome and its awesome they got away with it, it sets an awesome precedent.

One man Slater fan club over here.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
70 days till election day

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

bike tory posted:

I do genuinely appreciate the malice that goes into keeping such close track of whether Cam Slater has had a stroke, because he absolutely deserves it, but I don't think we need updates on when you think he hasn't had a stroke too.

Yeah I say this with all the love in the world, but who gives a goddam fuckin poo poo

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

sebmojo posted:

Yeah I say this with all the love in the world, but who gives a goddam fuckin poo poo

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

69 days till Cam Slater's next stroke

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Nothing to debate or discuss here: I think that was the most gorgeous Saturday Auckland has seen all year.

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004
It's been lovely in Porirua.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

This has the hardest Caretaker Government every of anything Labour has done recently.
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/politics/second-auckland-harbour-crossing-governments-mega-plans-revealed/TB3WTGHGR5BYFH6S4XXKWWZNMI/

quote:

[The government] has agreed to the most ambitious of those: two three-lane tunnels (one in each direction) for cars and trucks in between the central Auckland motorway junction and Akoranga on the North Shore. The tunnels would be 5-6km long, at least twice as long as the Waterview Tunnel. The goal is to start construction by 2029.

A 21km light rail tunnel would stretch from Albany to the Wynyard Quarter, passing through Takapuna and Belmont. It would be a separate project from the two roading tunnels, and be built in stages after at least the first of the road tunnels was completed.

A deeply unserious proposal. Why are they even bothering to announce this?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

So National is forced into either saying "Yup it's good because roads" or coming out against a road because Labour suggested it

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009
They will just accuse Labour of copying their policy. Which is basically correct, both parties poll (or read right wing op eds) to see what policy is currently popular.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

bike tory posted:

A deeply unserious proposal. Why are they even bothering to announce this?
because they don't have to deliver it

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
National spends billions on roads like this "doo dee doo"

But Labour spends billions on roads like [i]this[i] "dee doo dee"

E. Posting on a phone sucks

Project M.A.M.I.L. fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Aug 6, 2023

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
ACT promises big cuts to MBIE staffing and projects https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/political/495248/act-promises-big-cuts-to-mbie-staffing-and-projects

this is obvs hilariously bad, but i wanna know why rnz posted and then pulled this article on friday...

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Meanwhile the Greens have announced a national dental health service to provide free dentist visits to all New Zealanders.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
Yeah that's a great idea. It's one of those things that should have always been funded but just never was. Like how it's weird our ambulance service is a charity organisation.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Beartaco posted:

Meanwhile the Greens have announced a national dental health service to provide free dentist visits to all New Zealanders.

Greens announcing actually good policies and nobody voting for them anyway is one of the great tragedies of nz

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
There's the great thing, we have elections every 3 years. In fact, we have one coming up in just a few short months!

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.

Beartaco posted:

There's the great thing, we have elections every 3 years. In fact, we have one coming up in just a few short months!

A 'few short months'? That's cool, but I wish there was someone ITT who could tell me the exact number of days until the next election...

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Beartaco posted:

There's the great thing, we have elections every 3 years.
not if labour gets their way

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yearly elections, just send this poo poo into hyperspace

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
We should have monthly elections instead

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

exmarx posted:

ACT promises big cuts to MBIE staffing and projects https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/political/495248/act-promises-big-cuts-to-mbie-staffing-and-projects

this is obvs hilariously bad, but i wanna know why rnz posted and then pulled this article on friday...

Probably got an email to the effect of "hey that was meant to be embargoed until Sunday" or some poo poo

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

exmarx posted:

it also seems weird for act to announce poo poo like this when they're ostensibly meant to be pro business. who is this policy for? ron paul's corpse?

like the one bit of this i know personally is the screen stuff - tax rebates on big productions coming to nz. i hated that it was so hard to get stuff funded locally when avatar or lotr got tens of millions off tax. but basically those projects simply would never happen in nz without a rebate - too many other countries have them - and when they do happen they bring so much money and jobs. it's very much an imaginary tax hit.

like why wouldn't act want that?

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

it also seems weird for act to announce poo poo like this when they're ostensibly meant to be pro business. who is this policy for? ron paul's corpse?

like the one bit of this i know personally is the screen stuff - tax rebates on big productions coming to nz. i hated that it was so hard to get stuff funded locally when avatar or lotr got tens of millions off tax. but basically those projects simply would never happen in nz without a rebate - too many other countries have them - and when they do happen they bring so much money and jobs. it's very much an imaginary tax hit.

like why wouldn't act want that?

I always find it pretty funny they go in on this stuff despite a lot of their business backing (shutting callaghan will probably result in a lot of angry calls direct) but offending epsom nimbys is the one rail they can't touch.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

They know who butters the bread. Business can only deliver votes but Epsom delivers the seat that makes those even matter.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
I just don't get it. What the hell is with Epsom? Why would THEY want that either?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
callahan's irrelevant to act's voters because they're petit-bourgeois scum who aren't interested in reinvesting capital lol

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009
While the other parties talk about boring things like roads and taxes, Peters comes out swinging with hosting the 2026 commonwealth games in Christchurch...

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Ripper Swarm posted:

A 'few short months'? That's cool, but I wish there was someone ITT who could tell me the exact number of days until the next election...

i could but i wont

you havent earned it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleve McDichael
Feb 11, 2019

~nice~
69.420 days until the egglection 🥚