Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
IME most ebikes shops use nominal power number. But ghetto scammy ebike websites use the peak power number.

Yeah I would watch actual owner videos on youtube before I buy an ebike. Also read the comments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

CopperHound posted:

:rubby: They are rated for being allowed to be sold in places with regulations or big number to sell to people.

Any number you see is likely no real indicator of the capability unless it is for relative comparison between the lineup of one vendor.

E: some reputable vendors might do thermal testing, but without some duty cycle stats it means nothing.

Yeah, that's why I'm curious to see what the huge brands do. When Kawasaki says an electric motorcycle is 9kW continuous rated, I absolutely believe it. With 3kW of battery onboard, that's also about 20 minutes of battery life at WOT.

Hell, what's the battery life like on these illegal super73s? It's gotta be bad, right? I've only ridden my Radwagon with level 1 or 2 assist out of 5, but that's mostly because cadence sensors are awful and really miserable to try and use as a light assist.

Edit: I realize that about 10hp makes for around 60hp top speed on gas motorcycles with a transmission, but I have no idea how gearing and electric motors would work with that. Unlike a Super73, these Kawasaki motorcycles look like they'd be ridable at 60mph, tire and suspension and brake wise, but there's no way they'd have acceptable range there.

I guess napkin math says that an unrestricted, 1200W continuous rated Super 73, which is what they advertise, will get about 45 minutes out of its 960wH battery.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Aug 3, 2023

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

When we're talking power of the vehicle there are a lot of different things that are often very different:
-Power coming from the battery
-phase power between the controller and motor
-thermal disapation capability of motor
-power output at the wheel

E: on second thought, except when braking phase and battery power might be the same but with different current.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Aug 3, 2023

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

CopperHound posted:

Since online ebike reviews are universally garbage I was hoping one of you might know the answer to this before I go out of my way to check:
Does the REI Generation e1 have any sort of torque sensor or is the PAS cadence only?

https://www.reddit.com/r/ebikes/comments/13w7mn6/rei_generation_e11_first_impressions/

This says yes for starting the motor but I would also be surprised if the PAS is torque in general. Assist didn’t feel bad but definitely not as natural as really nice bikes.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

tildes posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ebikes/comments/13w7mn6/rei_generation_e11_first_impressions/

This says yes for starting the motor but I would also be surprised if the PAS is torque in general. Assist didn’t feel bad but definitely not as natural as really nice bikes.
I'll check it out then. I mostly hate the feeling of assist kicking in when I soft-pedal.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
You will literally see companies marketing the exact same bike with different power numbers in different countries with what is likely the same hardware. 500watt can mean 500 watt sustained, peak, or even '750 watt with a software limiter on the controller that we will tell you how to turn off'.

Buying a bike without trying it is basically Russian roulette unless someone you trust has used it. Okay, not Russian roulette but I can't think of a good metaphor right now

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

hark posted:

loving my super73 so far. have had it for 3ish weeks and it's been great. already added a suspension fork, and this weekend I'm adding a 72v controller and a 1500w rear hub motor to replace the stock 500w. I'm also in the process of building a 72v 20ah battery so I don't have to worry about charging as often. this hobby is now my hyperfixation :stoked:
Congrats on your new e-moped I guess?

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/03/business/vanmoof-bankruptcy-ebikes.html

Might be paywalled, but an interesting article about VanMoof's bankruptcy.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

Barry posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/03/business/vanmoof-bankruptcy-ebikes.html

Might be paywalled, but an interesting article about VanMoof's bankruptcy.

Here's a gift link.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I've been looking at OneWheel and EUC things lately, because of mild interest in the former due to snowboarding hobby.

Either way... How is it that these EUCs can pack so much battery capacity in that small package? When I see how large the battery in my down tube of my eMTB is, and it still has "only" 750Wh, why does an EUC, whose battery can't be that much larger in regards to volume, come with like 2200Wh and the like?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Combat Pretzel posted:

I've been looking at OneWheel and EUC things lately, because of mild interest in the former due to snowboarding hobby.

Either way... How is it that these EUCs can pack so much battery capacity in that small package? When I see how large the battery in my down tube of my eMTB is, and it still has "only" 750Wh, why does an EUC, whose battery can't be that much larger in regards to volume, come with like 2200Wh and the like?

Those EUC are really heavy. They just pack a lot of battery in it. And the few makers have gone on an insane speed arm race in just 3,4 years.

I had one when it was baby hobbyist thing and cost only $200 on the low end. It was really slow and a trick to ride.

If you compare the top seller ebike from 5 years ago to today's ebike. The ebikes only went from 36v to 48v as main stream feature and maybe increased the battery capacity by 50%. But the EUC all went crazy highway speed fast in this short period. All the brands from 5 years ago were probably all gone.

And they used to make baby lightweight casual EUC you can carry one hand and easy to ride to your local supermarket 3 blocks away. Now even that model has had a beefy off road upgrade.

If I am a college kid and just want a short 5-10 mile lightweight thing to move my rear end, I would have to look at entry level electric skateboards because they still make light 15-20 pound boards that you can ride casually.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

CopperHound posted:

When we're talking power of the vehicle there are a lot of different things that are often very different:
-Power coming from the battery
-phase power between the controller and motor
-thermal disapation capability of motor
-power output at the wheel

E: on second thought, except when braking phase and battery power might be the same but with different current.

When I did my research a few years ago it all comes down to the weakest link in that chain. The more performance and how long you can use peak output the more you need to monitor temperatures. Everything had a continuous and time vs load rating, 5 seconds at 400a or 200a continuous for example. That could be the rating on the battery, controller, or motor.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
There's a thread for EUCs but I could see the argument in merging them into this one.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3990963&pagenumber=2&perpage=40

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Is there anything *wrong* with the Co-Op e1.2 that's $1000 at REI right now, if my use case is a grocery run maybe 5 miles each direction? I'm mostly wondering about durability and longevity or something weird like "only that company makes the tires so if they go under you have no more tires"

https://www.rei.com/product/190640/co-op-cycles-generation-e12-electric-bike

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I just got one and it’s great. The tires are Schwalbe so easy enough to get replacements. The only weird thing I’ve seen is that there are no out of the box fenders that will work for the 2.3” tires.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

The only weird thing I’ve seen is that there are no out of the box fenders that will work for the 2.3” tires.

I couldn’t see any fender mounts, either?

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

i can at least see front mounts in the pics

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

The "most helpful" review says

" I found it strange that a utility bike would not be equipped with fenders, but I did find a source for 20-inch fenders designed for another eBike which I was able to fit. "

So there's that, at least

Also I did it, lets see how it goes

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Aug 6, 2023

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
I just got a 1.1, big fan so far after an inaugural grocery run. Haven't gotten to swap in the suspension stem or get higher handlebars, but I like it thus far!

I do think the grips it comes with are a bit meh - I think I'll swap with ergon - but overall it's v solid, glad I got it.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I took a Rad Power for a test drive today, my first time on a bike in a couple of decades. It was mildly terrifying, especially taking it down a pretty significant hill, but it seemed to handle bumps and pot holes pretty well.

Is there a good YouTube video or anything for learning to do hills on an e-bike, or is it pretty much just get a feel for it with practice?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Ham Equity posted:

It was mildly terrifying, especially taking it down a pretty significant hill

Is there a good YouTube video or anything for learning to do hills on an e-bike, or is it pretty much just get a feel for it with practice?

What was terrifying, a lack of stopping power?

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Ham Equity posted:

I took a Rad Power for a test drive today, my first time on a bike in a couple of decades. It was mildly terrifying, especially taking it down a pretty significant hill, but it seemed to handle bumps and pot holes pretty well.

Going up the motors are much happier if you gear down early and keep a moderate to spinny pedaling cadence.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
This is just any bike, but brake primarily with your front brake downhill, and especially if you're uncomfortable or feel out of control don't be afraid to just brake the whole way down.

E: Also, always slow down before a turn on the straight, rather than in the turn (learned this one the hard way).

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

kimbo305 posted:

What was terrifying, a lack of stopping power?

I'm just not used to being on a bike, it actually felt like the breaks had quite a bit of stopping power, I was pretty impressed with the feel of the bike overall. It was also lighter than I was expecting when I tried to lift it (but heavier than my muscle memory wanted it to be when I was riding it).

Going downhill is just kind of terrifying in general, it feels like I don't have any control.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Ham Equity posted:

I'm just not used to being on a bike, it actually felt like the breaks had quite a bit of stopping power

Going downhill is just kind of terrifying in general, it feels like I don't have any control.

Your control is the brake, and the deceleration offered needs to give you confidence. If you didn't pick up any wobbles from bumps upsetting the front wheel, that's about as much stability as you can ask of the frame/geometry. The rest is up to you using the brake to decelerate as needed.
If you're scared slow down more, and don't let speed pick up too much before braking again.
Let's say it's a descent that you could take at 20mph, but you only feel comfortable at 10 (or whatever you perceive to be 10).
Brake down to 7mph, and don't let it get past 12mph before you brake again. Repeat until you're down the hill.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Ham Equity posted:

Some of the Rad bikes have regenerative braking, so the motor will help brake as you go downhill. It won't do all the work for you, you still have to modulate your speed with the friction brakes. But you'll get the feel for it.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
None of the current generation radpower bikes appear to have Regen breaking (except maybe the radwagon)

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Regen only saves you miniscule amount of battery, the only actual benefit is regen will do half of the braking for you and the brake pad will do much less work. E skateboards rely on it entirely because there is no brake pad.

But due to the design of the direct drive, you get a bigger motor and lower start torque, it's not a popular drivetrain design.

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib
Just want to check- I'm thinking of selling one of my bikes, would it be kosher to link to a SAMart thread in here? No worries if not, and I can edit this out.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Queadlunn posted:

Just want to check- I'm thinking of selling one of my bikes, would it be kosher to link to a SAMart thread in here? No worries if not, and I can edit this out.

Yeah, I don't have a problem with it.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
What's thread opinion on Super73's as a commuter? I see them all over LA

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

PRADA SLUT posted:

What's thread opinion on Super73's as a commuter? I see them all over LA

I have one and I love it. I'm in the process of upgrading the motor, battery, and controller so I can go faster and farther, but the stock ones are fine as is (I'm on a z1)

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Any reason to get a class 3 over 2? Also, is it feasible to ride with a (adult) passenger?

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

PRADA SLUT posted:

Any reason to get a class 3 over 2? Also, is it feasible to ride with a (adult) passenger?

As someone who just went from Class 2 to Class 3 there are a lot of reasons:

1. a class 3 with no throttle is likely going to be a mid-drive with a torque sensor where a good number of class 2 ebikes are hub motors with just cadence sensors
2. mid-drives can use the mechanical advantage of your bike's gearing to do a better job at climbing hills with more speed
3. mid-drives with torque sensors tend to feel more like riding an actual bike as it responds to the amount of force you put on the pedals. It's a different feel and one that I find more rewarding
4. class 3 will have a bit more acceleration to reach top speed (in my experience)

If you have a good mid-drive and something like a internally geared hub, you can totally replace the need for a throttle at a dead stop by simply shifting to the lowest gear and upping the pedal assist. As soon as you put a little bit of torque on the pedals you'll rocket out of the stop fairly easily. The pedals become your throttle in this scenario.

I cannot however speak to the experience of hauling an adult passenger

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

I got the Co Op e1.2 on Sunday, only rode it for ~ 3 miles when I first got it so far on a paved trail but its drat cool so far. Now to fall down the rabbithole of upgrades, right?

Two big things are on my mind:

- I need some way to make the cargo hardpoints usable, so maybe a box with a cargo net? At worst I can strap a backpack on them I guess
- I'm really not sure what's involved in securing these when unattended. Obviously, a normal bike lock thru the wheels and frame, but should I take the battery off every time? I feel like that's the most valuable part (expensive, small)

What else is an upgrade besides normal bike parts like pedals, handles (honestly not a fan of the ones it came with), tires (though mine seem to be fine)? I don't feel a need to up the battery or motor, at 5 it definitely made a hill from hell feel just like a slightly steeper normal road.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I put a Wald 139 basket on the front rack with a PNW cargo net. Fits great. Rear will take panniers just fine.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

G-III posted:

class 3 with no throttle is likely going to be a mid-drive with a torque sensor

Are there any mid drive super 73s?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
https://techcrunch.com/2023/08/10/shared-micromobility-firm-veo-launches-retail-seated-scooter/

Why are all of the scooters with a seat universally complete dogshit? I feel like they should be taking the pedals off an ebike, which doesn't seem that hard, but instead we get this garbage:

quote:

Can reach speeds of 17 miles per hour
“Mountain bike-inspired suspension” with coil spring front fork
Front and rear mechanical drum brakes in waterproof casing

Drums? Drums!?! And for $3,500!

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

i imagine the idea is that a scooter should be less fussy and drum brakes require less maintenance. also we dont want grandma to be able to stop too suddenly and fly over the bars lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Looks like a design student project that someone decided to actually produce.

Just use normal spoked wheels!!