Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favourite Kirby Super Star power?
This poll is closed.
Beam 3 1.79%
Bomb 3 1.79%
Cook 1 0.60%
Copy 3 1.79%
Crash 1 0.60%
Cutter 5 2.98%
Fighter 5 2.98%
Fire 3 1.79%
Hammer 13 7.74%
Ice 3 1.79%
Jet 3 1.79%
Mike (sic) 14 8.33%
Mirror 11 6.55%
Ninja 5 2.98%
Paint 0 0%
Parasol 2 1.19%
Plasma 4 2.38%
Sleep 9 5.36%
Starship 5 2.98%
Stone 6 3.57%
Suplex 22 13.10%
Sword 20 11.90%
Wheel 6 3.57%
Wing 6 3.57%
Yo-Yo 15 8.93%
Total: 168 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

the reason is because nobody could even buy them during the pandemic due to silicon shortages etc, so the customer base is tiny compared to the ps4 base. and the "generational gap" in technology is too small to make it actually worth most dev's time developing a ps5 exclusive when they could go ps4+5 multiplat and get a way bigger base to sell to while the game stays basically just as good
yea but i'm saying in terms of exclusives Sony has a limited number of studios. JP Studios is basically gone. Pixelopus was shutdown. Guerilla is probably working on the third Horizon game and that's gonna be a couple of years away. London Studio and Firesprite are VR studios. Mm is working on something post-Dreams but no details. Nixxes and Bluepoint are just porting houses. Naughty Dog is in a time loop remaking the same two games repeatedly. Polyphony put GT7 out already.

that leaves Insomniac (Spiderman 2), Santa Monica (God of War 3 i guess), Bend (???), and Sucker Punch (???)

I mean I can do the same for Microsoft too so it's not unique to Sony. but yeah no surprise why the exclusives are limited

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Gripweed posted:

Right. So what we're circling back to, the point that you all agree with, is
Which things are you referring to because I would currently be in my fifth year of not using a Sony console, when instead I am in my third year of using Sony's newest console

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Volte posted:

Which things are you referring to because I would currently be in my fifth year of not using a Sony console, when instead I am in my third year of using Sony's newest console

Man if you physically couldn't play Death Stranding on the PS4 because it was just too visually ugly to you, I don't think there's any point in us debating. We are not going to agree on any subjective experience and most objective facts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP3UngLFou4

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I wouldn't play it on my base PS4 because it's 1080p and can't even maintain 30fps. If you're going to dismiss generational improvements that are mainly focused on performance and fidelity as pointless, then you're certainly not going to get away with using the PS4 Pro in your argument.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The reveal of the Switch Pro will throw this argument into chaos

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Performance is overrated. 20 is plenty

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Volte posted:

I wouldn't play it on my base PS4 because it's 1080p and can't even maintain 30fps. If you're going to dismiss generational improvements that are mainly focused on performance and fidelity as pointless, then you're certainly not going to get away with using the PS4 Pro in your argument.

I played it on a PS4! Nobody mentioned the PS4 Pro! And I never said performance and fidelity improvements were pointless! They're fine. But even you can't actually say with a straight face that Death Stranding on the PS4 looked bad, you are only saying that it looked bad on your 4k TV. But you know that's a pretty weak argument, so you make absurd statements like "PS4 games looked like dogshit" that are only anything less than the most pathetic baldfaced trolling in the context of "on my 4k TV"

If your entire argument is that the PS5 is good because it outputs at 4k and 1080p doesn't look nice on a 4k TV, then sure, that's a fine point. However, it doesn't actually undermine my point at all, because it means the PS5's primary selling point is that it's a 4k PS4 for 4k TV owners.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

a Switch that plays Wii games

the Swiitch

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Hope the super switch is a clamshell, I want Nintendo to get weird

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

hatty posted:

Hope the super switch is a clamshell, I want Nintendo to get weird

We deserve the 4ds

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Gripweed posted:

I played it on a PS4! Nobody mentioned the PS4 Pro! And I never said performance and fidelity improvements were pointless! They're fine. But even you can't actually say with a straight face that Death Stranding on the PS4 looked bad, you are only saying that it looked bad on your 4k TV. But you know that's a pretty weak argument, so you make absurd statements like "PS4 games looked like dogshit" that are only anything less than the most pathetic baldfaced trolling in the context of "on my 4k TV"

If your entire argument is that the PS5 is good because it outputs at 4k and 1080p doesn't look nice on a 4k TV, then sure, that's a fine point. However, it doesn't actually undermine my point at all, because it means the PS5's primary selling point is that it's a 4k PS4 for 4k TV owners.
You linked a video titled "4K Trailer | PS4". And of course each individual frame looks good, if you view them individually, at their native resolution, from an appropriate distance. The same can be said of PS3 games. There's nothing about any of these generations that limit what pixels it can display. The limitations are in the performance tradeoffs for displaying those graphics. 30fps looks bad to me. 1080p looks bad on a 4K display to me. It's difficult to enjoy. It doesn't look ugly, as if the PS4 somehow renders the graphics fundamentally differently, it it simply unpleasant to look at and play. Not to mention the loading times on a PS4 HDD. I replayed through Bloodborne recently on PS5 to get the platinum and I had to take breaks every 60-90 minutes or so because the framerate gave me a headache. Tears of the Kingdom was a similar experience though I didn't get headaches from it, maybe because I played it on a better display. Emulator players definitely had the better experience there.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

For what it's worth, I do wanna get a PS5, but 'spensive :shobon:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

homeless snail posted:

I have now moved this bar, to anything that has too much graphics for the steam deck

Is there a list yet

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
When you're ready, games won't need graphics or controllers

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Khanstant posted:

When you're ready, games won't need graphics or controllers

Kinect...

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I would just be happy with 1080p / 60fps.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://twitter.com/Julia_CaSsian/status/1687548578892263424

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I skipped a bunch of posts, hope I didn't miss too much :)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The 7th Guest posted:

devs don't do advanced AI because enemies that are too smart would just piss players off and AAA games have to allow the lowest common denominator to see the majority of the content

https://twitter.com/jvalenzu/status/1683518037927026688?t=LNgKRvNfreEdT2evlxdI2w&s=19

https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/1683795402074787840?t=iWh4BVdRWn04wbUz_O2mOQ&s=19

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

That bit of dev anecdote/conventional wisdom actually goes all the way back to Half-Life 1. It makes sense, too, a complex internal state isn't gonna be perceived by the player without being surfaced somehow. In a game where the enemy's lifetime is severely limited (since the moment they encounter the player, one of them dies) and their purpose is only killing the player, that's the barks.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
that is 70% of why everyone felt the AI in F.E.A.R. was godlike

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

kss-wirt-ras

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

cheetah7071 posted:

If it has too much graphics for the switch, it has too much graphics

Most Switch games have too much graphics for the switch

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

ymgve posted:

that is 70% of why everyone felt the AI in F.E.A.R. was godlike
fear gets to have it both ways because, the ai is incredibly good and will work together to clear rooms and flank you and takes advantage of cover and all that, but they also have them loudly tell you what they're thinking at all times

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I have officially completed Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask and am now one more step on the path to being called a Gamer. Next I think I have to play at least one Final Fantasy. Or a Metroid.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_o6DxhslAI

Jim Ryan to the PS5 R&D team

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I don't want better lighting and AI upscaling, I want better graphics

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Graphics peaked like 2 generations ago, We don't need any of this bloated bullshit that is modern Triple A gaming!!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Love sci-fi fantasy where it is Man vs Machine, and the Humans Soldiers can somehow hold their own against the Robot Soldiers

As opposed to what would actually happen in that Robo Soldiers would just murder everything with 100% accuracy at insane rates of fire.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Graphics peaked like 2 generations ago, We don't need any of this bloated bullshit that is modern Triple A gaming!!

The graphics on level 3 still need to be tightened!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Shorter games, worse graphics, paid more to work less, I mean it

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Infinitum posted:

Love sci-fi fantasy where it is Man vs Machine, and the Humans Soldiers can somehow hold their own against the Robot Soldiers

As opposed to what would actually happen in that Robo Soldiers would just murder everything with 100% accuracy at insane rates of fire.

Man what part of our technological future makes you expect such quality from robot soldiers? There was a stretch of like six months where they were putting Teslas together wrong so if you drove when it was raining water would get in the bumper and eventually it would get so heavy it would just fall off on the road.

The robot soldiers will work great until they encounter any kind of terrain different from what was at the testing site in California. They won't work at all until they connect to wi-fi to download the latest update. Their sensors will be calibrated wrong so they literally won't be able to see black people so any black person con just walk right up to it and put a bag over it's head and it'll just shut down.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The SSDs in current gen consoles mean that in games like Returnal or Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart they can load new areas instantly with no loading or lag which in R&C especially is incredibly effective. Technically it is playable on a regular spinny HD as we have discovered with the PC release but it involves awkward loading and is way worse

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Gripweed please get a grip

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Anyway speaking of the PS5, the disc version of the system has been discounted for $449 pretty much everywhere you can get one.

https://twitter.com/videogamedeals/status/1688173360889634816?s=20

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
And Dualsenses for $50 (normally $70). I'd be tempted to get one just for PC, but with how quickly my PS5 ones deteriorated, no thanks.

e:hmm, even the special colors are $50.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Infinitum posted:

Gripweed please get a grip

The world ended when the robots attacked. Millions died in the first day. But then we found out that the dummies used in their friend or foe system testing literally had “friend” or “foe” written on them, so if you write “friend” on a piece of paper and tape it to your shirt the robots won’t attack you.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Gripweed posted:

Man what part of our technological future makes you expect such quality from robot soldiers? There was a stretch of like six months where they were putting Teslas together wrong so if you drove when it was raining water would get in the bumper and eventually it would get so heavy it would just fall off on the road.

The robot soldiers will work great until they encounter any kind of terrain different from what was at the testing site in California. They won't work at all until they connect to wi-fi to download the latest update. Their sensors will be calibrated wrong so they literally won't be able to see black people so any black person con just walk right up to it and put a bag over it's head and it'll just shut down.
What part of our technological present makes you think that Elon Musk is going to be at the forefront of it

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Volte posted:

What part of our technological present makes you think that Elon Musk is going to be at the forefront of it

The billions of dollars of government contracts he has received and continues to receive? There is no system that rewards competence. How much money have we spent on a next gen fighter that can’t fly in the rain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Volte posted:

Robots being garbage isn't particularly exclusive to that person, it's a general characteristic.