Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DNA Cowboys
Feb 22, 2012

BOYS I KNOW

roomtone posted:

what's the deal with adventure time post season 5 or so, which i when i last watched it. i think i stopped somewhere in the gigantic 52 episode 5th season.

now i check and there are 10 seasons and possibly a bunch of offshoots/miniseries. was there a drop off in quality? does this all need to be watched in order?

If you haven't watched since season 5, you probably also missed the Stakes miniseries. It's part of season 7, but was also released separately. Islands in season 8 and Elements in season 9 did something similar. I'd suggest watching the episodes in order, although there are some standalone gems as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Arc Hammer posted:

Gen Lock season 2 was bad in a way where I'm certain that they were intentionally trying to kill the show.

Wasn't it taken over by a guy who had no experience in a writer role.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Wasn't it taken over by a guy who had no experience in a writer role.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxIqCRsxYUA

This video sums up what went wrong with Gen.Lock and yeah the primary culprits are Gray Haddock and Michael B. Jordan--Jordan for lobbying so hard for the show to even get a second season to begin with when everyone else with a working brain could easily tell that it was a very bad idea, and Haddock for, well, literally everything else holy poo poo watch the video.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Aug 6, 2023

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

This video sums up what went wrong with Gen.Lock and yeah the primary culprits are Gray Haddock and Michael B. Jordan--Jordan for lobbying so hard for the show to even get a second season to begin with when everyone else with a working brain could easily tell that it was a very bad idea, and Haddock for, well, literally everything else holy poo poo watch the video.

I hope Michael B. Jordan gets to play a mech pilot in something good one day. (The joke is he worked for scale in GL because he got to pilot a robot.)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

There's a whole lot wrong here that I didn't know about - Kazu's arc where he falls for Val and then dies because his arc is 'over' and the weird lack of knowledge about 70's-80's mecha shows are No Good Very Bad - but I think I am genuinely offended by Camie's suicide 'arc.'

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Praise Petey has been getting some good bits in. The ex-boyfriend being a literal Plank situation keeps working for me.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I missed Final Space chat but

I saw most of S1 while visiting a friend's household in one of those circumstances where everything seems way more funny than it probably is (same way I first saw Invader Zim back in the day); and I got about halfway through S2 shortly afterwards. The humor clicked for me and the drama largely worked too, and some parts of it I thought were really beautiful. I quite enjoyed it and wanted to finish the rest but at that point there wasn't any more that I could see for free.

I managed to track it all down at some point and I can watch it anytime I want, and I rewatched the first episode, and ... there's like nothing there. I can't bring myself to go on

e: even "MOONCAKE" doesn't sound like a funny absurdist brain-burp anymore
Now it just sounds like the actual dessert

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Aug 7, 2023

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The funniest thing about Final Space is that it ends on a super dark note due to being cancelled

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mokinokaro posted:

The funniest thing about Final Space is that it ends on a super dark note due to being cancelled

Olan Rogers did get the okay to do a proper finale in comic book form but WBD gave him a load of restrictions:

*Not allowed to crowdfund the book. He can only self-finance, although he is allowed to accept preorders.
*The book can only be sold on a website owned by Rogers. That means it won’t be available on Amazon or any other third-party marketplace.
*It must be self-published.
*Only allowed to produce and distribute hard copies of the book, no digital copies are allowed.
*No animation, no voices.
*Cannot produce or release other Final Space books after this one. At least not under the terms of the current deal.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
I feel like everything involving the Avocatos in Final Space was fantastic while the rest of the cast were just there doing filler things

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I liked Ashley Burch's character. Forgot her name though. Honestly, can't remember her character arc either. But her voice acting was great.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Aug 7, 2023

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Weirdly I slid off of S2 of Final Space, the first couple of episodes didn't grab me at all. But I was really invested in S1, mainly because the countdown scene at the beginning of each episode meant I never really saw the wackier elements as an annoyance because it felt like they were going somewhere cool with it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'm gonna try going through it just so I can reclaim the HD space.

I'll let you know if I don't survive

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Data Graham posted:

I'm gonna try going through it just so I can reclaim the HD space.

I'll let you know if I don't survive

Godspeed sir! Fulfill your duty in honor.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Okay the protracted dance of despair that he does in the hallway in E4 when Quinn arrives and reveals she doesn't know who he is, that's why I think I was fully rooting for this show the first time through. That animation is way too ambitious and excellent to be lost as an "oh also" on a weird comedy space show.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Anyone else watching Strange Planet based on the Nathan Pyle comics?

It's super cute and wholesome.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
IIRC that guy is insanely anti-abortion lmfao

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer

"Insanely" might be a little strong :shrug:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Johnny Hardwick the voice of Dale Gribble passed away :smith:

https://www.tmz.com/2023/08/10/king-of-the-hill-dale-johnny-hardwick-voice-actor-dead-dies/?adid=social-tw

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

That's what THEY want you to believe! :v:

:(

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Oh poo poo, that’s a bummer. My understanding was that they were about to start on a new season/sequel series too.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

TwoPair posted:

That's what THEY want you to believe! :v:

:(

quoting from KotH thread

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
nooooooo :(

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Warbird posted:

Oh poo poo, that’s a bummer. My understanding was that they were about to start on a new season/sequel series too.

With Dale and Luann, and Lucky, gone, they need to cancel it now.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Finally getting around to My Adventures with Superman. It's a cute show so far and I'm enjoying the characterizations.

Visually it's one of the nicer shows going on right now, but with a caveat that it feels like it's composited like the early days of digital coloring in anime from the early 00s. The extreme sharpness of the digital line quality ironically serve to its detriment, while the extremely bright color keys overall lack a real sense of contrast to sell certain scenes or give them any real heft when it needs to be.

One of the things I wish it would borrow more from anime is the use of aspect-to-aspect transitions within a scene so you're not just looking at people's faces talking at each other for long periods of time, as well as expressionistic visuals that not only serve as useful 'cheats' to reduce labor, but also act as opportunities to get some environmental storytelling and varied layouts into your scenes. Some of the fight scenes also have characters moving in some confusing ways, particularly in ep 2 with lois and jimmy's movements towards the detonator not jiving well with how they were positioned by the action before it, and lack enough connective tissue to make sense, etc. Maybe it's because the overall pacing of things feels rushed, the boards end up having to sacrifice overall visual interest for just getting the characters reaction shots.

The things that kinda bother me the most is the sound. Either the voices are just not mixed very well but either way they don't feel like they have the right balance, or something's reduced their range. I don't think any of the performers involved are bad, but something about the voice direction is not doing it for me. Scenes where characters have a certain physicality due to the situation, it isn't really felt in the performance at all. The line reads are somewhere between animation and live action, and often fall just short of punctuating the jokes. Overall it also just feels like it's missing a lot of other kinds of sfx that could give the scenes at least a little bit more ambiance or oomph.

Maybe it's just that the first 2 eps are trying to establish a lot really quickly and it finds some kind of rhythm with the actors?

Neeksy fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Aug 12, 2023

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Neeksy posted:

Maybe it's just that the first 2 eps are trying to establish a lot really quickly and it finds some kind of rhythm with the actors?

It gets a lot better after the first couple of episodes. It also turns out that a goon, Das Boo, is one of the animators for the show. We're discussing it over in the DC TV animation thread.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Charlz Guybon posted:

Anyone else watching Strange Planet based on the Nathan Pyle comics?

It's super cute and wholesome.

Just watched the first episode and found it surprisingly unfunny given the talent involved. I think maybe the style just doesn’t work for me when spoken out loud as opposed to written

Warbird
May 23, 2012

The new Supes show is going anime at an exponential rate. The latest episode has a goddamn Kingdom Hearts visual gag in it ffs and I'm 80% sure the Mister Mxyzptlk character model is whole rear end a Yu Yu Hakusho minor character from a later season.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Warbird posted:

The new Supes show is going anime at an exponential rate.
i only watched two episodes so far and its pretty dang anime

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Warbird posted:

The new Supes show is going anime at an exponential rate. The latest episode has a goddamn Kingdom Hearts visual gag in it ffs and I'm 80% sure the Mister Mxyzptlk character model is whole rear end a Yu Yu Hakusho minor character from a later season.

I mean. The previous episode has a gaggle of Gunmen with specifically a Lagann ripoff.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

The title of the episode "Kiss Kiss Fall in Portal" is a reference to the theme lyrics of Ouran High School Host Club. The show is written by the biggest anime dorks on the planet

Warbird
May 23, 2012

The animation team is writing the show? :v:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It is a little weird to have Dan Stevens as Korvo but he definitely understood the kind of energy to bring to the show.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

It's funny how little I care about the voice change, it feels like this is how it's always been and I'm 100% fine with it.
The Wall stuff has gone from the stuff I care for the least to something I am okay with being in the show.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

We watched the first episode of s4 then went back to s3 as my gf realised she never finished it, and the original Korvo sounded more wrong after only just one episode of listening to Dan.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Neeksy posted:

It's funny how little I care about the voice change, it feels like this is how it's always been and I'm 100% fine with it.
The Wall stuff has gone from the stuff I care for the least to something I am okay with being in the show.

It's not always 100% but I actually really like the wall stuff and a few times have been eager to see the next chapter in whatever's going on there.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ompoD7V42DM

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I gave up waiting for season 2 of Pantheon (if it ever happens) and ended up reading the trilogy of short stories.

Now I really wish there was a season 2 and 3 just to see how the new characters created for the show's story would play out. The short stories are very much just Maddie, her AI Dad and Mom.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

they picked the exactly correct studio to do this
godspeed, masaaki yuasa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
This is honestly up there with the day I found out Ghibli was doing a movie of Howl's Moving Castle in terms of "wait, which two great tastes are about to taste great together?".