Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I believe in the USA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Handball from the ref! Card her!

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
:rip: that cameraman

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I'm seeing writing from people elsewhere that the US have got it all wrong. That they're not playing the right tactics and their formation is all wrong. The players aren't being given freedom. That the manager is getting it wrong. Is this just sour grapes from a team/fanbase that was so dominant they could just flex and win but now the quality of the game has risen elsewhere they're not used to not simply outclassing other teams?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Mrenda posted:

I'm seeing writing from people elsewhere that the US have got it all wrong. That they're not playing the right tactics and their formation is all wrong. The players aren't being given freedom. That the manager is getting it wrong. Is this just sour grapes from a team/fanbase that was so dominant they could just flex and win but now the quality of the game has risen elsewhere they're not used to not simply outclassing other teams?

One part “can’t just out-athlete everyone,” one part “bad tactics”.

Let’s Go you drat Yanks!!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

US already has looked more dangerous than they did all match versus Portugal.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Mrenda posted:

USA play incredibly archaic football this tournament. Women's football made great strides these last few years and you can't show up with some speedy players and minimal gameplan and expect a trophy. Chelsea's coach said that most USNWT players wouldn't cut it in Europe and she's right. Only Horan has modern Champions League experience.

2Fast2Nutricious
Oct 4, 2020

There is one guy on stream unconvincingly slowly shouting YOU... rear end.. EYYYY

:shobon:

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Mrenda posted:

Plenty of blame to go around. Formation seems to be ill-suited to this squad, but part of that is due to the players that are missing. Substitutions have been baffling. None of the forwards can seem to hit the broad side of a barn. And yeah, some "the rest of the world is catching up" as well.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Terminally Bored posted:

USA play incredibly archaic football this tournament. Women's football made great strides these last few years and you can't show up with some speedy players and minimal gameplan and expect a trophy. Chelsea's coach said that most USNWT players wouldn't cut it in Europe and she's right. Only Horan has modern Champions League experience.

It's so good that the English finally discovered Women's Soccer.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
sweden smashing everyone, maximum hip check energy, you love to see it

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

habeasdorkus posted:

This but unironically. Also the rest of the world. No 16-0 routs anymore.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

what did the goalie just give Rodman to eat..?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

habeasdorkus posted:

Shame they discovered it before proper punctuation.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

FFS Smith, one time that

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Smith needed to take that rebound shot on the volley.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

whypick1 posted:

Plenty of blame to go around. Formation seems to be ill-suited to this squad, but part of that is due to the players that are missing. Substitutions have been baffling. None of the forwards can seem to hit the broad side of a barn. And yeah, some "the rest of the world is catching up" as well.

They don't look comfortable on the ball. They don't seem to have any idea going forward except for run at the defence. There's no movement off the ball. Even basic stuff like throw-ins they don't have players moving to take the ball. The defence looks somewhat coached, but apart from that it looks like a team of good players who don't know each other and haven't been told what to do.

Sweden, however, look like they know what the point of a football is. Even if they can't put it together and are probably worse "athletes."

Edit: The look like a team that should be playing a dominant possession game being told to play a counter-attacking game.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Terminally Bored posted:

This but unironically.

Wait, are you not even English? Christ, what an rear end in a top hat.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Whew, that was dangerous

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Well that was a fun 30 second sequence.

2Fast2Nutricious
Oct 4, 2020

Why were there so many Americans just standing still when defending? Maybe try to put yourself in between the ball and the goal? So strange.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

The US is slow on the trigger and it's really hurting them from taking their chances.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Only been half watching so far, but it looks like the yanks have been on top so far?

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

webmeister posted:

Only been half watching so far, but it looks like the yanks have been on top so far?

It's a shite game. Best chance so far has been a corner that almost went directly in.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

webmeister posted:

None of them would get a game for Bristol City, mate. They're all terrible and don't know how to play the game like every English child does before they can walk.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Mrenda posted:

Certainly seems to be a tactical thing at the heart, and previous USWNT players (Christen Press, etc) have talked about it recently that the current (bad) tactics/strategy haven’t really changed since their lackluster Olympics performance.

This game feels kinda like 2015’s quarterfinals, when the team was playing meh heading in; Holiday was suspended for the game so Ellis was forced to make a tactical change and turns out Morgan Brian was really good and poo poo finally clicked for everyone. Lavelle’s out so Vlatko has to try something new and that seems to be…Sonnett in a holding mid position I *think* she’s never played for the US before? If the US pulls this out, it’ll probably come down to individual player heroics than any masterful game plan.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

not dead yet posted:

Why were there so many Americans just standing still when defending? Maybe try to put yourself in between the ball and the goal? So strange.

every one of them believes this is one of those games where they get a dozen great scoring chances and none of them go in, and their opponents get one half-decent scoring chance and a weird unlucky bounce puts it in so they lose 1-0 & they're terrified of being the person that causes that bounce

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
sweden can’t put together a pass to save their lives

2Fast2Nutricious
Oct 4, 2020

Ace Jameson posted:

sweden can’t put together a pass to save their lives

Yeah I was hoping for more from Sweden but it seems that USA and Sweden are pretty both bad right now.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I dunno what you guys are watching but this game the US keep threatening while Sweden can’t string 3 passes together and barely get out of their own half

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

webmeister posted:

I dunno what you guys are watching but this game the US keep threatening while Sweden can’t string 3 passes together and barely get out of their own half

What's frustrating is that this is what large stretches of their draws with Portugal and the Netherlands was like. The US just has not had any incisive finishing this tournament.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I haven't watched a lot of soccer, but I am prepared to call short corner kicks the end zone fade pass of the sport: never works and I'm screaming "why???" at my TV every time they do it.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Ooof, right to the schnozz

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Blackstenius is the most Swedish name I can think of.

Also, that was an MMA quality elbow. Ouch.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

I haven't watched a lot of soccer, but I am prepared to call short corner kicks the end zone fade pass of the sport: never works and I'm screaming "why???" at my TV every time they do it.

I dunno wtf that is but no, short corners never loving work (to be fair, corners rarely work either)

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

2 minutes of stoppage time, 1.5 of which is spent with a Swede trying to put her teeth back in

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

habeasdorkus posted:

What's frustrating is that this is what large stretches of their draws with Portugal and the Netherlands was like. The US just has not had any incisive finishing this tournament.

That kills me the most. I know xG isn't the best indicator but in the group stage the US managed an xG of ~6.5 and only scored 4 goals. It would not surprise me if that was the worst G-xG in the tourney.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Having watched that first half I can confidently say the USA will be mostly happy if they win this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

lol at short-changing the hell out of stoppage time there