Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
God they look good. Kommandoz have always been my favourite Orks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

grassy gnoll posted:

wdarkk and chrome line currently share the lead at a mere two points. Are you going to stand there and take that kind of sass?
gently caress no!

Prof. Banks posted:

What up, Hy-Gogg buddy.

Sup pal!

Diet Poison posted:

#2: been wanting to build this for a long time now, I love the weird aquatic Zeon suits.

I'm gonna build these in the order I bought them, so up next is Chicken Gundam AKA Lfrith Thorn.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/DeltyThe73rd/status/1688005641242345472?t=x5IceIbPrEAuBsz5iAdaSQ&s=19

Dammit it's a P-Bandai.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Gundnode is probably gonna be p-bandai too which is a shame since I want to thousand degree knife a bunch for a diorama.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

wdarkk posted:

Gundnode is probably gonna be p-bandai too which is a shame since I want to thousand degree knife a bunch for a diorama.

Decent chance they do a giant box set specifically for that like the Maganac Corps.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

phew

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

do p-bandai kits ever just become regular kits? :|

Tergaso
Mar 4, 2007

My God! Wooden eels! Surface! Surface!

This was really fun to build! RE/100 really straddles the line between MG and HG in an interesting way. It lacks the inner frame of a pure MG and thus feels a lot lighter by comparison. But it's quite a bit more complex and detailed compared to an HG kit. I really don't quite get why the Dijeh didn't get a full MG release, it is one of Amuro's suits after all. Mobility is poor, but the build feels really solid and I appreciate that it can actually hold its weapons without much fuss. I hope to one day pick up the Zaku II FZ RE/100 kit, but I feel like I'll be waiting awhile. I was really surprised to see the Dijeh pop up on Newtype.

Some of these stickers really fought with me, especially the Anaheim Electronics logo.

With MG Char's Gelgoog 2.0 for scale.

And next on the docket,

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

chrome line posted:

Next up is the MG Barbatos!

Done!

Next,

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Synthbuttrange posted:

do p-bandai kits ever just become regular kits? :|

Sometimes, sorta.

Actual P-Bandai kits stay P-Bandai, but sometimes (like with the upcoming Origin GM) a variant is released later that's basically the same thing at retail, but with different colors and/or parts.

It's possible that this will get an accessory pack release later to let you make the design with a standard Demi-trainer, but even if we do, it's probably a ways off.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

More like pee bandai :colbert:

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

If the Prodoros and Desultor become P-Bandai... :negative:

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009
Somewhere else on the web I saw someone suggest using a rhinestone picker to help place decals.

This does not work with the ultra thin Bandai ones that only need 3 seconds in water. Maybe it works with stuff like the thick double-skin place-and-peel Eduard ones for plane model kits, I haven't got any of those, but definitely not the Bandai ones.

Now to see if I can salvage the picker (might still be useful for picking up smaller pieces that even tweezers suffer with)

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Starting with a FiguRise Kamen Rider Blade.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

If the Prodoros and Desultor become P-Bandai... :negative:

I reallt hope they show up as a later wave of regular kits.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

BisbyWorl posted:

Up next is an HG Heavyarms.

:toot:

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's more complex than a HG, less than a MG though. So..probably RG or real mechanics but maybe a little less than that? About 15 runners.

Works for me. Logged, and 2 points for completing it.

Gripweed posted:

Since Backlaugust has been broadened to all plastic model kits, I've changed my goal to something a bit more in the spirt of the event. I've had this kit on my shelf, unbuilt, for a while now. It's pretty far out of my wheelhouse as it is in no conceivable way a robot

Accepted. And may god have mercy on you for attempting to assemble a modern GW kit.

Televisio Frankus posted:

Got a kit today, one of my favorites.

Noted.

Diet Poison posted:

I'm gonna build these in the order I bought them, so up next is Chicken Gundam AKA Lfrith Thorn.

Logged, 1 point. You don't have to post it now, but just make sure you've got your timestamp before pic for the Lfrith.

Logged, gonna call it 2 points. RE 100s are never not going to be in a weird space, I guess. Mk II noted as well.

chrome line posted:

Done!

Next,

Barbie's been my favorite MG for a while now. Three points, and our first MG. Eva-00 attempt logged.

Logged, 1 point.

Everyone: For future Chaos Mode entries, please tell me the name and brand of the kit so I can do some research and try to puzzle out what you'll be doing. You want to earn credit for your hard work instead of me making an ill-educated guess.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

boz posted:

Psycho Doga finished

Next to finally build this Zeta

Reposting as the way I formatted the pictures may have made it get skipped over for this last weeks tally

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Not a part of backlogust (backlaugust? backlogagust?) but finished my FM Aerial after like four different IRL people told me the teal colour-scheme reminded them of our local chip shop, and that destroyed it for me.

it's a lovely kit. I would be down for a lot more Full Mechanics kits if they can keep this up.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe

Moai Ou posted:

First for me is the Airmaster Burst, from Gundam X. X is the show I know absolutely nothing about. I think I saw a RealPlayer format fansub of the first couple episodes back when it aired and remember nothing about it.

And it's lined and built!

Next I'm gonna bang out a couple easy ones:

HG PR Ambassador Gundam & Gold Top Petit'gguy

And because I have no self control, I picked up the RG Hi-Nu today and put an order in for the Moderoid Big O, since my old Bandai one has had a broken arm for a decade.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I'm in! HG Heindree to start.

e. And the eighth part just... vanished.

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Aug 7, 2023

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Got the chest parts painted today for the EVA-01, probably not gonna get a ton of models done this month based on how long this will take to paint but I'm happy to have a reason to actually work on them anyway. Hoping to be done with the robot and platform by next weekend at the latest. May work on the RX-78-02 Cucuruz Doan's Island version after this since that just came in and I have most of the paint colors for it already.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So I've recently gotten suckered back into gundam kits and the like, and am decades out of date on this stuff; are there like any good online places to grab kits I can't find in stores at reasonable prices? Or is it still like just look around at as many places as possible and hope they don't ship you a box that looks like a car ran over it?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Nuebot posted:

So I've recently gotten suckered back into gundam kits and the like, and am decades out of date on this stuff; are there like any good online places to grab kits I can't find in stores at reasonable prices? Or is it still like just look around at as many places as possible and hope they don't ship you a box that looks like a car ran over it?
The latter unfortunately.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Any tips on applying stickers? Almost finished with my HG God Gundam, and I'm dreading the tiny stickers for the eyes and the dots on the hood ornament. Otherwise the kit has been coming together quite well.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

grassy gnoll posted:

Accepted. And may god have mercy on you for attempting to assemble a modern GW kit.

I saw this post and I was like, "pfft. Skill issue. I've built Knights and Dreadnoughts and they come together just fine."

And then I built this guy. That wire is a separate piece The contact points on either end are tiny. Thank god I had tweezers

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Open Marriage Night posted:

Any tips on applying stickers? Almost finished with my HG God Gundam, and I'm dreading the tiny stickers for the eyes and the dots on the hood ornament. Otherwise the kit has been coming together quite well.

Get the sticker on the tip of the blade of an exacto knife or tweezers.. Don't focus on getting the whole thing lined up, focus on getting on one specific part lined up. Like, the part that goes over the bridge of the nose. Nail lining up that part, and the rest will line up too.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Nuebot posted:

Big Bad Toy Store, USA Gundam Store and Gundam Planet are both fairly reliable if you're in the US. Hobbylink Japan and 1999.co.jp are also good but you get hammered for overseas shipping.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Synthbuttrange posted:

I reallt hope they show up as a later wave of regular kits.

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

We don't have any future mainline releases announced for Witch, so it doesn't seem like there'd be a wave to put it in. If there was a mobile game or OVA or something, it'd be possible that it'd be included with the new designs from that, but none have been announced so far. What's more, the one sidestory they have at the moment has one P-Bandai release, so it doesn't seem to be getting anything mainline.

I've been surprised by things before, but right now, I'd be mildly surprised even to see those from P-Bandai, considering how many new molds they'd need for grunts with bit parts. But then, maybe it's the waiting for Spinner Rodis that made me cynical.

(It's the only IBO season 1 suit without a kit! We're so close!)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I wish we got more Thunderbolt kits. I'd really like to see the Thunderbolt Rick Dom or the freaky Bandit Flower AcGuy get a high grade.

I'm never gonna get a modernized HG Dom or variant. :(

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Arc Hammer posted:

I wish we got more Thunderbolt kits. I'd really like to see the Thunderbolt Rick Dom or the freaky Bandit Flower AcGuy get a high grade.

You just gotta hope for good Dom Trooper representation in Seed Freedon.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Open Marriage Night posted:

Don't do anything with a sticker that you can do with a marker.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

The Dom situation is extra cruel since we got runners for an HG revive Dom all the way back in 2015.

I mean, the good news is that it's a relatively modern Dom variant, but the R35 and the Sanakapool are weird for not getting the "original" versions despite runners being labeled for them.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I guess the Dom Prototype "counts" but it's not really a Dom, just some buffed up legs and the Dom head on the Origin Zaku frame.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

I guess the Dom Prototype "counts" but it's not really a Dom, just some buffed up legs and the Dom head on the Origin Zaku frame.

I was thinking the Build Fighters Dom when I brought up the R35. It's the weird one that suggested there'd be a Revive Dom that never happened.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

chiasaur11 posted:

I was thinking the Build Fighters Dom when I brought up the R35. It's the weird one that suggested there'd be a Revive Dom that never happened.

Huh I forgot about that one, just remembered the Gouf R35 that was so stacked with Revive parts you could basically build either the R35 or the Revive from one box. You'd think the Dom R35 might have been similar.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Pierson posted:

The latter unfortunately.

Alas, here I'd been hoping a revolution had happened.

Midjack posted:

Big Bad Toy Store, USA Gundam Store and Gundam Planet are both fairly reliable if you're in the US. Hobbylink Japan and 1999.co.jp are also good but you get hammered for overseas shipping.

Most of those are new to me, so I'll be sure to check them out! Hobbylink and 1999 are familiar, as are the shipping costs. Because of the state I live in; I am very, very, familiar with getting absolutely hosed by shipping costs.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
God I hate the flat box polycaps that leg and arm parts have tabs that go into them. They're the number one suspect for not fitting quite right and making everything a pain. I really should build whatever has the tab that goes into them first and then stick it in before sandwiching the drat things in, they always decide they don't want to fit right and then I have to either force it in and hope or take it apart and do it the way I should have in the first place.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So here's another weird question this thread might be able to help me out with - I decided to start trying to track down a kit of one of my favorite suits, only to find out that it was p-bandai exclusive which I guess makes finding it a complete pain in the rear end. I can, however, find a ton of seemingly similar (maybe even identical?) "injection molded high gloss edition" versions all over; is anyone familiar with this sort of thing and what the differences might be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Do you have a picture of the box or kit? It sounds like you've found either a 3rd-party copy (so a bootleg basically) or a special-coating variant. There's a few different kinds (clear semi-transparent coating, metallic finish, actual titanium finish on some of them) and they tend to jack the price up a bit and most don't look super-great.