Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
God drat I need to get into Azure.

I'm loving managing 10 people and dealing with utter dog poo poo problems every loving day working for one of the biggest MSFT partners in the US and I'm only making 115 a year.

I should not have gotten into ERP consulting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

How can you manage ten people :gonk:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

incoherent posted:

r/azure is doing a salary check and the numbers dropping are absurd for people repping AZ-900 (with IT experience to match) alone.

A lot of them have past experience, it doesn't seem too terribly out of norm. Personally, for the United States for any generic Azure-y position I think you are comfortably looking at $80-160k/y range.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
drat, might have to consider Azure if a 900 can help that much with experience.

Trickortreat
Oct 31, 2020
I am looking to get into Customer Success in cybersecurity sector. Will it be worth it to wait pass the new version of the Sec+ test? Or is it a situation where getting the certificate is getting a certificate and it won't really matter? My understanding is that I will be able to take the 602 until next year, so I'm wondering if I should wait for the 702 to come out or just study the current version. I read that the new version was going to be more difficult, but haven't found anything more than that.

I was thinking about getting A+ certified, but I feel like that would be a waste of my time and resources. Especially if I can just get Sec+ done with.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Trickortreat posted:

I am looking to get into Customer Success in cybersecurity sector. Will it be worth it to wait pass the new version of the Sec+ test? Or is it a situation where getting the certificate is getting a certificate and it won't really matter? My understanding is that I will be able to take the 602 until next year, so I'm wondering if I should wait for the 702 to come out or just study the current version. I read that the new version was going to be more difficult, but haven't found anything more than that.

I was thinking about getting A+ certified, but I feel like that would be a waste of my time and resources. Especially if I can just get Sec+ done with.

Getting the cert is getting the cert for the purposes of getting a job. Nobody knows or cares about the difference between 401 and 702.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Edit- whoops wrong thread.

Cyks fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jul 28, 2023

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Edit: Why did I post in this thread? Who knows. Maybe it's because I'm tired. Maybe it's because I've finally gone fully insane.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Maybe you wanted the coveted Certificate of Posting® on these here dead gay forums

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Hotel Kpro posted:

Maybe you wanted the coveted Certificate of Posting® on these here dead gay forums

*checks posting stats*

Buddy, I got that a long time ago.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

i work at a company HQ that makes well over $1bill a year and we have a couple systems running win 3.11 in our server room

I need to know more

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

tehinternet posted:

I need to know more

telephoney is fun

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

incoherent posted:

r/azure is doing a salary check and the numbers dropping are absurd for people repping AZ-900 (with IT experience to match) alone.

:stare:

What the gently caress? Where's my money?

I mean I'm only three months into my desktop support role with a CompTIA trifecta and the AZ-900 (and the MS-365 one too), but if I can parley that into a higher paying WFH gig after a year of this, wheeeeeeeeee.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Aug 2, 2023

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Yeah I'm rolling with 5 az certs from the 100 level to the 900 level and nobody is paying me that much.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
It’s anonymously self reported on the internet, there’s going to be aleast a 30% fudge factor going on.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Rudager posted:

It’s anonymously self reported on the internet, there’s going to be aleast a 30% fudge factor going on.

oh 100% some weird bot poo poo is goin on with those poll results

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

wash bucket posted:

Most companies have outsourced this work to 3rd party IT support firms. The ones that haven't usually just have a single IT site contact covering multiple facilities in a given region. If you're the site contact that means your phone will ring at 4pm on a Friday telling you a forklift knocked over 20 year old Windows XP workstation that controls a mission critical piece of equipment, production in the department is at a stand-still, and you need to make the 4 hour drive to the plant right now because they operate 24/7 and the 2nd shift supervisor is already throwing chairs through windows demanding to know why it won't be fixed sooner.

For modern manufacturing "efficiency" means operating with zero room for error with the bare minimum of staff on a schedule that assumes everything will go according to plan all the time forever. When reality sets in the yelling starts. If you're tired of working in manufacturing then being a computer toucher in manufacturing won't actually get you out of that mess.

Yeah I'm in a car parts factory and our IT guy is spread across five plants in three states. They don't deal with the production machinery beyond checking port assignments though, all janitoring of PLC/SCADA/Machine Controlling PCs falls on the hilariously underpaid maintenance electricians.

We also had an NT 3.5 box on a critical bottleneck machine until 3 years ago.

E: cable plant is entirely subcontracted, we have a crew that comes in once a month and does all the network drop tickets that have accumulated since last time

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Aug 3, 2023

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
So, thanks to Amazon's Career Choice benefit, I've been accepted to WGU for the Cloud Computing (B.S.) curriculum.

I already have a B.A. in Mass Comm from a state university, so once my transcripts have been evaluated, it looks like I'll have all of the general education classes wiped out. What's left after that looks fairly manageable as long as I don't just blow everything off. The degree itself isn't as important to me as the certs that are earned by completing the program:

- ITIL
- CompTIA A+
- CompTIA Network+
- CompTIA Security+
- CompTIA Project+
- CompTIA Cloud+
- LPI Linux Essentials
- Microsoft AZ-104 (Azure Administrator Associate)
- AWS Certified Solutions Architect
- AWS Certified Developer
- AWS Certified SysOps Administrator-Associate
- AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner

Since Amazon is paying for everything, I might as well go for it since this particular benefit just became available to me. The impending issue is that I don't have any IT experience and my current warehouse doesn't have any IT positions open. Is there anything I might be able to do outside of the curriculum to make myself more attractive to potential future employers? I don't have any particular loyalty to Amazon & their internal hiring system is pretty lackluster. I'm pretty much undertaking this endeavor to not only afford myself the opportunity to earn more but also to move somewhere that I actually enjoy living (currently in Indiana and...err...not really loving it so much).

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

C2C - 2.0 posted:

So, thanks to Amazon's Career Choice benefit, I've been accepted to WGU for the Cloud Computing (B.S.) curriculum.

I already have a B.A. in Mass Comm from a state university, so once my transcripts have been evaluated, it looks like I'll have all of the general education classes wiped out. What's left after that looks fairly manageable as long as I don't just blow everything off. The degree itself isn't as important to me as the certs that are earned by completing the program:

- ITIL
- CompTIA A+
- CompTIA Network+
- CompTIA Security+
- CompTIA Project+
- CompTIA Cloud+
- LPI Linux Essentials
- Microsoft AZ-104 (Azure Administrator Associate)
- AWS Certified Solutions Architect
- AWS Certified Developer
- AWS Certified SysOps Administrator-Associate
- AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner

Since Amazon is paying for everything, I might as well go for it since this particular benefit just became available to me. The impending issue is that I don't have any IT experience and my current warehouse doesn't have any IT positions open. Is there anything I might be able to do outside of the curriculum to make myself more attractive to potential future employers? I don't have any particular loyalty to Amazon & their internal hiring system is pretty lackluster. I'm pretty much undertaking this endeavor to not only afford myself the opportunity to earn more but also to move somewhere that I actually enjoy living (currently in Indiana and...err...not really loving it so much).

No.

Finish WGU as soon as possible and reassess your situation after you finish it.

You're thinking too far ahead. That curriculum will take years to complete if you're also working. An IT spot may or may not open up during that time period.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
Even with almost a decade of experience some of the classes took a lot of studying and dedication to get through. The AWS CCP is pretty easy, as well as like the A+ but even those will take considerable time with no IT experience. There are exam dumps out there, but you'd only be hurting yourself in the long run obviously by not taking the learning on.

And those are just the certs, there were a few of the core classes that took weeks to finish projects or finally test out of.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Or just do the masters and crush it in a couple months. Depends on your goals I guess

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

App13 posted:

Or just do the masters and crush it in a couple months. Depends on your goals I guess

Amazon won’t pay for masters-level programs.

Thanks for the advice, y’all. I’m certainly going to be taking the program seriously & don’t expect to just breeze through it. My worry is more related to availability of work once I do finish.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Alright, time for me to revisit my life choices again.

I went from senior Helldesk to Helldesk/SysAdmin to InfoSec Administrator over a period of three years. And then I got laid off when the company brought in new IT management and started replacing everyone who had been there for more than a few years. I've got a wide body of experience but no depth because I wasn't in the roles long enough to really grow. I was mostly the person who picked up tasks the more experienced people didn't want to do or didn't have time to do.

For the past six months, I've been fighting to get interviews in any of the above positions, and my results have sucked. Helldesk positions say I am too senior, SysAdmin positions don't respond to my resume at all, and InfoSec positions all go "We want someone with more experience, a CISSP, and hands on experience with a bunch of applications".

So now I'm trying to figure out what training or certs I should be getting my hands on to make my resume more attractive. I currently have my Security+ and the basic Certified in Cybersecurity from ISC2. My old A+ certification is expired and I don't have a college degree.

I've got very limited experience with AWS and Azure (old sysadmins didn't want me touching them), limited AD experience (old SysAdmins hated AD and refused to tie anything into it other than the domain and basic user accounts for password management). I've got some Okta experience and I set up PCI scans from scratch, and I used to manage the company VOIP systems. So... what tools or certs should I be aiming to pick up to help me land a basic System Administrator job or InfoSec Admin/Analyst job?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
A baby (associate level) cloud cert in any of the major three won’t be super useful at the day to day of a sysadmin job (except insofar as much as you’ll start thinking about problems differently), but it will probably help get you interviews for them.

I would also recommend forming a consultancy (use a real LLC + domain) and putting your home lab stuff on it as work experience, so it doesn’t look like you were/are unemployed. Also actual consulting jobs can help build experience and tide you over.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Aug 7, 2023

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Yeah if you already unemployed no reason not to be applying for the 2-6mo contract gigs that nobody wants to leave a long term position for. It's probably clean up or set up, and either way you'll learn a lot and add resume experience.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
I have always just lied about employment gaps lol. Never had a problem

But if you want to try and pad out your experience to get in the door for an interview with the actual hiring manager, I suppose it kills two birds with one stone. Just make sure you can speak competently about anything on the resume, because most teams will have at least one guy on the team who drills into each item on there to gauge your level.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
Covid has also been brutal for a lot of people and I haven't had questions about two several month gaps in the last 4 years.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I quit my last job without anything lined up just so I could get my Trifecta knocked out and change to an IT career. I had a 3 month gap and no one gave a poo poo, I just said I had some family/personal stuff that required my full attention. Still ended up with three offers without issue.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

ilkhan posted:

Yeah if you already unemployed no reason not to be applying for the 2-6mo contract gigs that nobody wants to leave a long term position for. It's probably clean up or set up, and either way you'll learn a lot and add resume experience.

Where should I be looking for these contract gigs?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Just lie and say you worked at Twitter. They have no HR department, no one can verify it.

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7207941159811960106

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

chin up everything sucks posted:

Where should I be looking for these contract gigs?

There’s a handful of nationwide contracting agencies but they are easy to spot. Like Robert Half and Teksystems.

Or just look to see which company has a ton of openings on your local job posting site for different roles and locations and check if they are one. They get paid a lot to seat people so if you have any skill set worth marketing at all they’ll try to get you a job.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Robert half is a good one. Just put in sys admin or network admin, your location and On-Site/hybrid/remote, and contract in LinkedIn. Should give you some leads.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

hey i got a interview with a VP coming up after i got my a+ and net+ for a information systems manager spot at my company.

heres hoping

Trickortreat
Oct 31, 2020
Can anyone make any recommendations for a good book to use for Sec+ exam? They all seem to have similar reviews. Can I just pick any of these and go ham?

https://www.amazon.com/CompTIA-Secu...ps%2C185&sr=8-1\
https://www.amazon.com/CompTIA-Secu...ps%2C185&sr=8-5
https://www.amazon.com/CompTIA-Secu...ps%2C185&sr=8-6

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Trickortreat posted:

Can anyone make any recommendations for a good book to use for Sec+ exam? They all seem to have similar reviews. Can I just pick any of these and go ham?

Amazon has a very bad fake textbook problem. I’d be more inclined to look at content on pluralsight or udemy, or buy directly from the publisher.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Trickortreat posted:

i like the mike myers guide myself

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

You could pick a good course up on Udemy for like 20 bucks for the next 12 hours.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Pretty sure I did Boson practice tests, took a few more random ones online, and passed with not much trouble. This was after A+ and Net+ so maybe having that knowledge helped. I didn’t think sec+ was really any tougher than net+

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Trickortreat posted:

everyone will have their own recommendations but professor messer's course notes and youtube series got me my sec+ from 0 to 100 in two weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

The Iron Rose posted:

Amazon has a very bad fake textbook problem. I’d be more inclined to look at content on pluralsight or udemy, or buy directly from the publisher.

What does this mean, people sell books with different content, or they print their own lovely copies or what?