Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I just saw this in the description for a phone charger and thought it was funny:

quote:

Due to the design of some Mazda cars, the charger may become stuck in the outlet. If this happens, try turning the charger 90 degrees to remove.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Oh, hailbomb update:

Initial Geico payout was $5800 - deductible

Fancy shop threw out $7200

Lining up a second meet at the shop this or next week, with the Geico rep and me, and we'll re-create this scene

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Cat Hatter posted:

AC and power steering were probably options. I've seen people remove them for PuRiTy weight saving reasons too.

Personally, I'd want a 1.8 and AC but they're not required by any means.

Yeah I know that folks sell PS delete pullys and stuff.

I feel like 11k could get you an NB with a 1.8 and ac I'm in the northeast and that's going rate... Good quality nas are 7500-10000 depending on how much crack the seller is on

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

PROLE ART THREAT posted:

I'm looking to buy a roadster after having owned an NB over 5 years ago, and came across a bare NA that's got a lot of miles but seems like its been restored and had a 1.6l engine replacement. And its blue.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/pleasanton-1992-mazda-miata/7642008855.html

Is this worth checking out? I am looking at an NA/NC at around 10k-12k. In the Bay Area, it is tough finding one at that price. I want to be able to work on one but I don't have a garage at the moment. And I don't think that this will need any work for some time.

Couple things now that I'm at a computer:

1)That's a nice looking car, especially for being 30 years old.
2)Is that the normal battery mounting location for an NA? My NB has it down in a little cubby just to the side.
3)Should the trunk have a shelf or something to go over the spare tire well in the trunk. Doesn't really matter except for negotiating.
4)Has the car been repainted? The battery hold-down looks like it has a touch of overspray and one of the pictures of the engine bay has what looks like a reflection of an overhead light source on the right (from our perspective) headlight that is either a clear picture of a light diffuser or super orange peel paint. Chance its a cheap Maaco respray that looks good from across the parking lot but you should be able to tell in person pretty easily.
5)Did someone steal the radio? Trim around the blank plate looks much more beat up than the rest of the interior.
6)Are those the seats that have speakers in the headrests for if/when you install a radio?

Also, I checked my 99-02 service manual and it has belt tensions for power steering or AC or both, so that car could have the factory setup instead of a guy doing an engine swap and cutting corners so at least there's that.

I'd be willing to check it out at least. From here it looks either pretty nice or pretty poo poo with little room in the middle.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
My NA is also the Superleggera model from the factory, so it does come like that without PO fuckery. (Has no AC, no PS, no power anything).

One thing to note is it gets insanely hot with the roof up in the summer, and SoCal sun is insanely hot overhead if you have the roof down and aren't moving very fast. Obviously SF has different weather, but it's still something to keep in mind if this is meant to be semi or daily-driver. Especially with black leather seats.

The headlights look a little funny as if it's been repaired, but it's not like a 30 year old car is expected to be cosmetically perfect in most cases.

FWIW I've got a 69k '91 that is 100% stock/I'm the second owner, and I paid $3800 for it 5 years ago... As shown, they're worth a bit more now, so hopefully the Envious Street Vandals of San Francisco don't have a bluebook handy to look up which cars the really rich people own if you pick this one over the other $5k car you're looking at.

As for Cat Hatter's q's:
That's the same mounting position for the battery as mine, and there's no shelf over the spare tire, it just has a little bracket that holds it down. (Does that one even come with a spare tire?) I believe those are the standard/regular seats, or at least I've got the same in mine (although fabric.)

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

The 10AE survived another inspection :sun:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Cat Hatter posted:

Couple things now that I'm at a computer:

1)That's a nice looking car, especially for being 30 years old.
2)Is that the normal battery mounting location for an NA? My NB has it down in a little cubby just to the side.
3)Should the trunk have a shelf or something to go over the spare tire well in the trunk. Doesn't really matter except for negotiating.
4)Has the car been repainted? The battery hold-down looks like it has a touch of overspray and one of the pictures of the engine bay has what looks like a reflection of an overhead light source on the right (from our perspective) headlight that is either a clear picture of a light diffuser or super orange peel paint. Chance its a cheap Maaco respray that looks good from across the parking lot but you should be able to tell in person pretty easily.
5)Did someone steal the radio? Trim around the blank plate looks much more beat up than the rest of the interior.
6)Are those the seats that have speakers in the headrests for if/when you install a radio?

Also, I checked my 99-02 service manual and it has belt tensions for power steering or AC or both, so that car could have the factory setup instead of a guy doing an engine swap and cutting corners so at least there's that.

I'd be willing to check it out at least. From here it looks either pretty nice or pretty poo poo with little room in the middle.

1. Yes it's nice
2. NA just sits on the trunk floor with a tiedown
3. the spare just sits on the trunk floor somewhere.
5. Looks like Owner removed the radio.. maybe put a blank in and there's one of those no screen bluetooth things.. I missed this when on phone.. I'd ask about speakers etc. and wat was removed..
also the tombstone doesn't 100% fit radios always so PO maybe had some kind of bigger screen or some kind of tuner poo poo in there before blowing the motor and putting a stock one back in..
6. they might be.. look for a zipper if they haver a zipper then you COULD have speakers.. but unzip and take a look)

Looking at home.. I'm more inclined to think this is an 8500 car. Cracked dash (not bad but not mint. non OE radio, Unknown quality steering wheel (Please put a known good name on there). But again I dont' know your spesific market.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jul 13, 2023

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
So if you put something in the trunk it just sits there touching the spare tire? Weird. Then again, I bought my NB from a BMW dealership and the rubber mat in my trunk is cut from the same by-the-yard rubber material as my floor mats so I have no idea what the factory puts in there.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
They made the trunk 5" deep to prevent you trying to put anything larger than a 18 pack of beer in there, so that solves that problem.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Ether Frenzy posted:

They made the trunk 5" deep to prevent you trying to put anything larger than a 18 pack of beer in there, so that solves that problem.

So not big enough to take to Bathurst then?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wS5FQcPPJLA&t=240s

I take my NB to Sam's Club unless I need a cube of paper towels or something. I didn't know the NA and NB were that different wrt the trunk.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
LOL. Not without a late night marked burial. What I said is probably a bit of hyperbole but it's pretty shallow.

Definitely will not fit a 30 pack or a Costco run - as you can see the stock AGM style battery in the standard location, it has about 2" above the tops of the terminal to the top edge of the trunk.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I do appreciate the NB trunk is just big enough for a suitcase though, like it's an EXACT fit. Whoever said the car isn't practical is a loving liar.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
I wasn't really involving practicality as key platform in my decision to build the Volkzda but I have really come to appreciate the much taller trunk area and that there is enough space behind the seats to put poo poo now. Hell, I was reshingling part of my roof recently and I had taken out the passenger seat and was hauling a 6-high stack of shingle packs here and there as I needed them.

Edit- Yes, I own a truck. So what? It's summer. I have to drive the car.

Joe Mama fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jul 14, 2023

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
RF HAIL UPDATE 2:

OK, got a call this morning and scrambled to meet the PDR dude, the Geico dude, and the body shop dude at the shop. We got the adjustment worked out. Total slap is $7200, up from $5800 because they want to go ahead and replace the big top RF roof panel (comes factory painted btw, neat!) instead of trying to PDR it, which makes me very happy. They're gonna get ETA on hood/trunk/roof and whenever those come in, I drop it off for a week and get a shiny car back.

Neat trivia: that center panel is $900ish but the labor is hilariously low, because it's all just fuckin' bolts aye? 0.8 hours each to remove and install.
Neater trivia: They let me look at their parts list just because I was curious - the whole RF roof assembly including the buttress part, roof panels and all the motors and poo poo runs $6800. So Mazda's not making _too_ much off the RF Premium Pricing. Fortunately I don't need that.

Now we wait some more!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

RF HAIL UPDATE 2:

OK, got a call this morning and scrambled to meet the PDR dude, the Geico dude, and the body shop dude at the shop. We got the adjustment worked out. Total slap is $7200, up from $5800 because they want to go ahead and replace the big top RF roof panel (comes factory painted btw, neat!) instead of trying to PDR it, which makes me very happy. They're gonna get ETA on hood/trunk/roof and whenever those come in, I drop it off for a week and get a shiny car back.

Neat trivia: that center panel is $900ish but the labor is hilariously low, because it's all just fuckin' bolts aye? 0.8 hours each to remove and install.
Neater trivia: They let me look at their parts list just because I was curious - the whole RF roof assembly including the buttress part, roof panels and all the motors and poo poo runs $6800. So Mazda's not making _too_ much off the RF Premium Pricing. Fortunately I don't need that.

Now we wait some more!
I'm pretty sure they're making money on the spare parts too :)

Hopefully you'll get your car fully sorted soon!

rowebot44 posted:

There is an oil line that feeds the vvt off of the back of the head that you need to take off to get the valve cover off.
Thanks, I think I figured it out eventually. It's this o-ring? There's also some sort of gasket 10-663. Either way they don't seem to be easily available anywhere so since they're right on the valve cover I'll probably just send it as-is.

I was going through my part list and realized I had the wrong valve cover gasket. It's actually drawn as a single piece on the diagram, but the actual part is the split type, BP6D-10-235A (hopefully).

Ended up emailing SKF support about the water pump kit, because there was no information on what it contains anywhere. I hope they sent someone to the warehouse to take the photos :v:

Seems like it's using a stamped impeller which is a bit of a bummer considering it's the most expensive kit (2x the cheapest one) but I think I'd rather have good bearings. Aisin seems to be the same.

Overall though it's pretty impressive that replacing the timing belt, water pump, spark plugs and cables, and everything rubber or plastic in the way and not cheapening out on parts is still like $250 lol.

Edit 2:
I'm going to have a Ferrari part in my car :woop:

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jul 16, 2023

rowebot44
Feb 21, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

Thanks, I think I figured it out eventually. It's this o-ring? There's also some sort of gasket 10-663. Either way they don't seem to be easily available anywhere so since they're right on the valve cover I'll probably just send it as-is.

It's actually 2 crush washers into part Y for the banjo bolt.

https://revlimiter.net/blog/2009/09/nb-miata-timing-belt-change/
This guide has a picture of the banjo bolt, crush washers, and location where they talk about differences between the na and nb.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

rowebot44 posted:

It's actually 2 crush washers into part Y for the banjo bolt.

https://revlimiter.net/blog/2009/09/nb-miata-timing-belt-change/
This guide has a picture of the banjo bolt, crush washers, and location where they talk about differences between the na and nb.

Oof, I think I got it, thanks :) It was in a completely different section of the document

That's a good page too, as he says there there are surprisingly little information documented on the VVT version specifically.

E: Uhh I think I might be getting infected by "while I'm there". The AC condenser is pretty busted and probably leaking which is why I haven't had functional AC in a few years.
Parts diagram says NC72-61-480A but I can't find a single one in the country, but there are a bunch NE51-61-480C. Any idea if that's the same part or at least compatible?

E2: oh poo poo I found some photos and they're not even remotely similar lol. gently caress. I can find the wrong one on aliexpress FFS but the correct one only seems to exist in the US.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jul 17, 2023

PROLE ART THREAT
Sep 10, 2003
Thanks for the advice, the Miata I mentioned did sell before I was able to check it out. So I'm still in the market and am planning to see a 2008 PHRT NC, which is what I really wanted. But the car only has 3k miles put on it in the last 3 years and likely hasn't had the oil changed in that time. Is it worth looking at? List price is $14k.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/808629787640889

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

PROLE ART THREAT posted:

Thanks for the advice, the Miata I mentioned did sell before I was able to check it out. So I'm still in the market and am planning to see a 2008 PHRT NC, which is what I really wanted. But the car only has 3k miles put on it in the last 3 years and likely hasn't had the oil changed in that time. Is it worth looking at? List price is $14k.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/808629787640889

That's a little less than I paid for my 2008 NC and mine isn't a PHRT.

PROLE ART THREAT
Sep 10, 2003

tactlessbastard posted:

That's a little less than I paid for my 2008 NC and mine isn't a PHRT.

I think I am going to get it, but I confirmed it does not have a limited slip differential. Is this a dealbreaker? I want to autocross it a few times a year, but in a place without much inclement weather its probably not going to make much of a difference.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Depends on how competitive you want to be. If it's purely for fun it probably won't matter if you need to lay off the throttle a bit more in the corners. If you're always going be thinking about how you could do better if your car wasn't letting you down, maybe you'd rather get one with the right diff.

For what it's worth, I can absolutely fishtail an open diff Miata around a corner, but you need to be kinda careless to do it on accident.

PROLE ART THREAT
Sep 10, 2003
Thanks, I've never autocrossed any car before so I think it will take some time before I reach that limit. It feels like a compromise but I think I can always swap one in later if it really bothers me. Mostly I'm worried I'd be missing out on spirited weekend driving more than anything else.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Upside with LSD: it's relatively easy to control grip in the wet if you pay attention, especially on a racetrack.
Downside with LSD: it'll step out on you in a hurry in the wet if you don't pay attention ... as I found out when I was in a hurry to get out of a roundabout, flooring it in 2nd gear. Thankfully it was very easy to recover/control, but I'm glad I had some training on track first :downs:

That said - this is my experience in a 10AE that has a torsen diff, using federal 595 RS-R tires :sun:

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I sort of think that if you're at all interested in autocross/performance driving and if you have even a modicum of talent to unlock, you will almost immediately bump up against the "I have no LSD and I want to doriftuu" barrier since cars like these are basically where you learn the basics of sideways car control etc with very few 'real consequences' to face since you're able to play around with them and learn how to correct while going pretty slowly which helps increase confidence a lot better than doing the same process in something with 450hp and fat tires.

PROLE ART THREAT
Sep 10, 2003
I bought the car. It’s great, I don’t know why I didn’t buy another one sooner. Flushed the fluids and the 6-disc changer was loaded with EDM mixes the PO left.

I’ll consider installing an LSD in the future, but first I want to replace the tires and the Megan Racing coilovers that are in there.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

MATG next week, I'm going for the first time (driving out from OK :party:). Anyone been? Tips?

DrColossus
Jul 17, 2006
For those of you with NBs and immobilizer problems, I tripped across a solution on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3x8ihdaTmNI

You ship your PCM to California and $200 later it's fixed - no more immobilizer issues, no need for hard to find parts.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
People like that should be nominated for sainthood.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
After owning the ND for about 10 months out here in Denver and almost never getting waves from other Miata owners, had an NA just give me the headlight wink, made my day. Something about those NAs, man :3:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I always give a wink wonk to any Miata I see

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

reversefungi posted:

After owning the ND for about 10 months out here in Denver and almost never getting waves from other Miata owners, had an NA just give me the headlight wink, made my day. Something about those NAs, man :3:

if you see a black nd that looks like a golf ball right now thats me

that is to say, absolutely no ETA from Mazda on my hood and trunk =/

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Aug 5, 2023

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

Jonny 290 posted:

if you see a black nd that looks like a golf ball right now thats me

that is to say, absolutely no ETA from Mazda on my hood and trunk =/

i'll keep my eyes peeled, but oof, sorry to hear about the hail damage :smith: I've gotten super lucky the last few weeks with this insane weather, but I'm worried it's only a matter of time before I have to deal with this myself with the way the weather has been keeping on

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
There's a shop in Shenzhen that will break out the molds and do a full CF hood and trunk for me for about a 60 day delivery time and $3k all in (the rest is just PDR), and at this point it's looking like that may actually be speedier than holding out for oem Mazda aluminum. And i do think raw cf on the jet black mica rest-of-it would look dope. Got a call scheduled with the shop on Monday to discuss options

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

reversefungi posted:

I think it's because ND drivers aren't wavers. I get interaction from every NA and NB, the occasional NC but never an ND. I feel like they don't know that they're in a gang by virtue of owning a smol car. It should be on the sales receipt imo.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

As an ND owner, I wave at every Miata every time.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Eyud posted:

As an ND owner, I wave at every Miata every time.

:hai:

even the 124 Spider stepbros

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I think it's because ND drivers aren't wavers. I get interaction from every NA and NB, the occasional NC but never an ND. I feel like they don't know that they're in a gang by virtue of owning a smol car. It should be on the sales receipt imo.

This was the same with NBs and NCs when they first came out. I think you need to get a generation or two of used cars floating around before the real freaks come out.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i excitedly wave when i see any miat or anything remotely cool. '66 chevy cargo van? wave. nb in primer? wave. minty b2200 with the pinstriping intact? waaaaave.

when i started driving it, i hadnt been on the road much and i accidentally waved at a model 3 cause i hadnt seen em irl recently. i felt bad about it for like 3 days

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I wave at everyone but do have a slight suspicion that many ND owners are bougie posers and don't reciprocate :ninja:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I wave at miatas and then other people in convertibles with the top-down.