Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

So when we inevitably ponder the rock:
Are you going to do the next mission legit or just lol Zeratul it?

e: UPDATE ON LAST PAGE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!
I love how the commercial subtly spoils a future unit, and in a way that should be impossible.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

I voted to go with Dr. Hanson's mission. As much as I agree with others that the sooner we get the Zeratul missions over with the better, I think it's a good idea to take a break from them for at least one mission. Might as well unlock a neat unit while we're at it.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

The Hercules has a few missions, particularly The Moebius Factor where it's really fun to use on higher difficulties. It's also really rad in the Moebius mod where it can land and then produce units like a structure.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Is the Predator even all that exceptional at what it does, considering you’ve almost definitely got at least a couple of units/defense structures that already fill the “slaughter zerglings” niche by this point in the campaign?

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Predator is the emperor of meme units in SC2

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Keep on ponderin

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.
Voting Breakout, it's just fun.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Should have gotten predator because aww kitty

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Regalingualius posted:

Is the Predator even all that exceptional at what it does, considering you’ve almost definitely got at least a couple of units/defense structures that already fill the “slaughter zerglings” niche by this point in the campaign?

The Predator is... decent at its niche. It deals 15 (+2) damage with an additional 20 damage splash so it kills swarms in two hits and whatever 'ling it directly targets in one, and unlike the other anti-Zergling units like Hellions and Firebats it does that with no conditional damage so it can actually hurt non-Light targets.

The problem is that you're paying 100/100 and 3 supply for a mechanical melee unit with 140 HP and 1 base armor, which is less durability than a Zealot. So they'll run up, take a bunch of damage, then can't even be patched up by a Medic so you'll have to burn even more money on repairs.

For an additional 50/25 you can get a Siege Tank instead and deal with swarms of Zerglings without being torn apart.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

the sooner we finish the protoss missions, the sooner i can forget about them

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
The sheer number of campaign mods that make some sort of attempt to make Predators usable is astounding.

Two best attempts I've seen have been making them cost only minerals and 2 supply in Legacy of the Void Terran Edition, and most recently... giving them cliff-jumping in a new Nova Covert Ops mod. I don't know what else the latter has done for them, but that alone looks delightful.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

BisbyWorl posted:

For an additional 50/25 you can get a Siege Tank instead and deal with swarms of Zerglings without being torn apart.

Range is the best stat etc etc. Honestly if a melee unit is gonna cost more than a zealot, it needs to be at least comparable, and the list of features that would be added to most units is surprisingly large. At a base level, even just the charge that zealots get is so useful that I feel like it should be standard on almost all melee units.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

ROCK ROCK ROCK ROCK

BisbyWorl posted:

Yeah, sure. Y'know you might wanna try laying off the sauce and getting some shuteye once in a while, eh?

Alcoholism Narrative Reference Counter: 7

BisbyWorl posted:

I go for the refineries and the Hercules. Automated Refineries will let me instantly max out my gas income at the start of the mission, and will let me save 3 supply per geyser by the end. The Herc, meanwhile, is hindered by the fact that the campaign rarely designs missions around drop play. In fact, Heart and Legacy both completely remove transports from the player's arsenal! I mostly grab it because the Predator is even worse.

The Hercules utterly trivializes a few missions in WoL and I highly recommend taking it for a spin in The Moebius Factor. It's a weird gimmick, but when it works, it loving works.

Also Automated Refineries are SO nice, goodness gracious. Slam-pick, every time.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I always find the economy to take too long starting in WoL missions so I slam pick the double scvs to get it up quick. Before it unlocks I usually build a second cc just to get them out.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The predator is fermenting garbage. The only things not crushing it are groups of lightly armed and unarmored targets. It seems more like the Dominion developed it as "crowd control" to mow down riots and protests rather than something intended for a battlefield.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
The Moebius mod made it cost only minerals and gave it an anti-psionic niche. I still don't remember it having any impact when i tried it.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
Personally whenever I see the Predator I think how much I needed an anti-light armor option, since up to this point I only have Firebats, Firebats with a driver's licence, immobile floor Firebats, and fast Firebats with grenades.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

Poil posted:

The predator is fermenting garbage. The only things not crushing it are groups of lightly armed and unarmored targets. It seems more like the Dominion developed it as "crowd control" to mow down riots and protests rather than something intended for a battlefield.

Does makes sense, they do love killing civilians from what we've seen.

JohnKilltrane
Dec 30, 2020

I might say the Protoss tech choice here is the most difficult in the game. They're both really good. Free Vespene vs 2x speed saturation is a tough one.

The Predator, though, really is the strangest and goofiest unit in the game. I think it's the only campaign unit from WoL that never makes an appearance in Co-op (actually, Spectres don't either, I don't think, but given that they're more a variant of another unit that feels different?). It's just yet another tool in the "murder weak, light enemies" arsenal and the tools we already have there (Hellions, Firebats, Reapers) don't have much use as is. Add on what others said about its gas cost and it's just really unattractive.

Hercules is 95% useless but that's still an improvement. It's helpful on certain maps like Moebius Factor and Supernova and can be good for players who like to use Siege Tanks offensively. It'd be better if it didn't have such high tech requirements and didn't need, what, like six supply? But you can still get some mileage out of it.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Predator is a dumb meme unit, Hercules is a cool meme unit

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

JohnKilltrane posted:

Hercules is 95% useless but that's still an improvement. It's helpful on certain maps like Moebius Factor and Supernova and can be good for players who like to use Siege Tanks offensively. It'd be better if it didn't have such high tech requirements and didn't need, what, like six supply? But you can still get some mileage out of it.
You can use it on the zombie apocalypse mission to put siege tanks in locations where the infested can't get to them. :v:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Predators are good when you can use Hercs to air-drop them

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!

Hwurmp posted:

Predators are good when you can use Hercs to air-drop them

Is that a skirmish only thing? cause at least in the campaign it's impossible.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

stryth posted:

Is that a skirmish only thing? cause at least in the campaign it's impossible.

I think that's the joke.

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!

Felinoid posted:

I think that's the joke.

Ah, I've only ever played the campaigns, so I honestly don't know how the game or the units work outside of that.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

biosterous posted:

the sooner we finish the protoss missions, the sooner i can forget about them

My thought exactly.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

We should do tosh's nonsense, and not anyone else's.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

We should stab Tosh in the back because I want to see how the game justifies stabbing him in the back, which is going to be infinitely more instructive in the bad writing department than merely playing nice.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

Kith posted:

Alcoholism Narrative Reference Counter: 7

Weren't there two of them in that update? Somebody said that he looked rougher than usual...

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

SIGSEGV posted:

We should stab Tosh in the back because I want to see how the game justifies stabbing him in the back, which is going to be infinitely more instructive in the bad writing department than merely playing nice.
They want you to stab Tosh so obviously I went with him out of sheer bloody-mindedness in my playthrough.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Tosh did nothing wrong

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I'd like to comment, but I'd rather wait until we actually confirm we're going in that direction. Until then, we're rather getting ahead of ourselves, aren't we? What's all this talk about stabbing Tosh, he's just offering us another mission, right?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

has anyone made a tosh 2.0 joke yet

Weed Wolf
Jul 30, 2004
ponder the orb crystal!

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Having grown up near the ACTUAL Folsom prison, it really weirded me out to see it in this game.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I think Tosh's next mission is the most fun in the entire WoL campaign. Naturally I voted for more protoss.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Isn't there like a time limit on one of the missions?

Specifically the terran refugees mission? Iirc, there will be something bad happening if you wait to do it too long. Will that also happen if we "waste" time with the protoss crystal?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

painedforever posted:

Weren't there two of them in that update? Somebody said that he looked rougher than usual...

I'm only counting explicit references. "Rougher than usual" can mean a lot of things - Raynor is a fugitive and a rebel leader, after all.

Torrannor posted:

Isn't there like a time limit on one of the missions?

Nope. Sometimes they're implied, but you do whatever the gently caress you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bladededge
Sep 17, 2017

im sorry every one. the throne of heroes ran out of new heroic spirits so the grail had to summon existing ones in swimsuits instead
Voted for Jailbreak, because I've changed my mind, you need a break for something fun before more The (Character) Assassination of Zeratul by the Coward Activision-Blizzard.
It is a legit cool mission, I just wish it was longer. Voting for the siding with Tosh version, of course.