Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Craig K posted:

the reason i heard was "it's so balls hot where the refineries are that it's impossible to run them at max capacity and efficiency" which is probably bullshit but if it's a lie it's at least more effort than "because gently caress you that's why"

Getting the same message from NPR that I listen to, though I tend to mentally add in the rest of the line I feel they omit; "and since they have that 10% excuse they're gonna run with it for the other 90% of the price increase because gently caress you that's why"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

"The warrior" GWB, who dodged the Vietnam war via his daddy's connections and couldn't even finish out his fake rear end service in the Air national guard, being paid to be a joyriding pilot.

"The appeaser" Kerry, who served in one of the most dangerous jobs in the military, received multiple purple hearts, silver Star for valor and a bronze star for meritorious service.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

BiggerBoat posted:

Speaking of RWM, anyone know what it was Biden did to raise gas prices so suddenly?

The reasons I've been hearing is the massive uptick in travel both domestic and international this summer as well as OPEC restricting supply by like 10% a few months back and deciding to not ease it for the season. It's back up to $88/barrel after a pretty good drop back in December.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Kinda surprising Kerry didn't just retire from public life after all of that. He's one of the few politicians who has properly dedicated his entire life to serving his country. Having to experience people pull this poo poo would just make me want to throw in the towel.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

shoeberto posted:

Kinda surprising Kerry didn't just retire from public life after all of that. He's one of the few politicians who has properly dedicated his entire life to serving his country. Having to experience people pull this poo poo would just make me want to throw in the towel.

There’s a reason it takes a certain kind of person to want to be a career politician. It’s a grueling thankless job that by its nature means you rely on idiots who have as many misconceptions about what you do, what you can do and how you can do it as opinions on how you’re doing it wrong. And those are just the ones voting for you. The others are people like this. And you get to do it every X years, over and over again, until you’re termed out, lose or throw in the towel in disgust.
The whole system seems tailor made to only appeal to independently wealthy masochists, sadists and narcissists, or people those people deem viable candidates. Occasionally a good person slips in through the cracks and sticks it out for a while but it’s a rare bird who can take this kind of poo poo day after day, season after season, and not have it turn them into a jaded as hell sellout or bitter contrarian.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
It's appropriate that you posted those pictures because I honestly consider the moment I first saw the photo of that lady with the giant jowls / triple chin making fun of John Kerry's war service to be the single most profound moment of political awakening for me. I was a dip poo poo apolitical both sides 20 year old until I saw that photo.

Knew at that moment that Republicans were irredeemable scum.

As an aside, popular theory is that that particular lady was a fairly infamous poster on the ultra conservative forum Free Republic. She ended up dying a few years later, thankfully.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

As an aside, popular theory is that that particular lady was a fairly infamous poster on the ultra conservative forum Free Republic. She ended up dying a few years later, thankfully.

Which one was she thought to be?

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

I'm sorry to be such a dweeb but I hate that kind of phrasing. And also don't mean to deligitimize your anger.

As noted earlier there are powerful interests with a hand on swaying Americans political identities, which are often irrational cultural/family identities or equally nonsensical (or nonexistent). This is aided by a shallow uninformed or misinformed understanding of the forces governing our country and world, by my personal experiences anyway.

It's a really bad word to use to determine who is "irredeemable scum" because that begs a sort of response, and things seem pretty dire on a few fronts. If you follow where that argument goes.

Still, I wouldn't discourage anybody from keeping note of which neighbors are flying trump flags or other garbage. Just saying if/when things get that desperate or otherwise violent "republican vs democrat" is a really bad line to draw.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Zwabu posted:

Which one was she thought to be?

I think the username was SavageSuzie. She would go on extremely long rants about the moral decay of Western civilization and constantly blamed postmodern philosophy for basically everything.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Why is Gavin Newsom trying to debate DeSantis? We all know he wants to go to the White House, but he's openly stated he won't primary Biden.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Shooting Blanks posted:

Why is Gavin Newsom trying to debate DeSantis? We all know he wants to go to the White House, but he's openly stated he won't primary Biden.

It's a safe-seeming way to build his public image for a later run, and if something happens to Biden in the interim, he's well-positioned.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Plus, why shouldn't he go after guys like DeSantis? There might be little the governor of California can do about what happens in Florida or other red states but it's better than just sitting back with nothing to say.

I think Newsom had a point when he asked "where is my party?" last summer. Democrats should be more aggressive with their messaging with all the hosed up poo poo Republicans are doing on nearly a daily basis.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Craig K posted:

the reason i heard was "it's so balls hot where the refineries are that it's impossible to run them at max capacity and efficiency" which is probably bullshit but if it's a lie it's at least more effort than "because gently caress you that's why"

Eh, this part can definitely be true. Most chemical plants and refinery processes are cooled through mechanical cooling towers, and their efficiency/ability to cool can be restricted during very hot and humid days (less evaporative cooling). This could quickly become the bottleneck and force a plant or refinery to turn down their rate of production during a heatwave.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Oracle posted:

There’s a reason it takes a certain kind of person to want to be a career politician. It’s a grueling thankless job that by its nature means you rely on idiots who have as many misconceptions about what you do, what you can do and how you can do it as opinions on how you’re doing it wrong. And those are just the ones voting for you. The others are people like this. And you get to do it every X years, over and over again, until you’re termed out, lose or throw in the towel in disgust.

The whole system seems tailor made to only appeal to independently wealthy masochists, sadists and narcissists, or people those people deem viable candidates. Occasionally a good person slips in through the cracks and sticks it out for a while but it’s a rare bird who can take this kind of poo poo day after day, season after season, and not have it turn them into a jaded as hell sellout or bitter contrarian.

I always liked the idea of having congresspeople and reps wear uniforms, NASCAR style, where the logos of all the corporations who donated to their campaign are emblazoned on their outfits and the logos are proportionate in size and prominent placement in relation to the amount of money they gave. I'm only kind of HALF joking here. Maybe 1/3 joking. It might be cheesy and gauche but that's what soccer teams, race car drivers and even some musicians do and at least it would be honest. That's almost what EVERYONE does to make any real money and I mean, let's face it, we're already loving there anyway. We just like to pretend we have more class than projecting a giant Budweiser logo directly behind the stage at a Rollings Stones concert or that politicians aren't bought and paid for.

I know we can already look up donations online but, with PACS, not so much anymore. I'm imagining a senate vote where all the elected people have to walk around in NASCAR outfits. Or at a bare minimum, have the corporate logos directly behind them during speeches and debates like NFL coaches do. Maybe a big EXXON logo on someone's podium.

Let's go all in on selling out and embrace it

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

I think the username was SavageSuzie. She would go on extremely long rants about the moral decay of Western civilization and constantly blamed postmodern philosophy for basically everything.

Yeah, from the looks of her, she appears to be the type of person who has a strong grasp on postmodern philosophy.

All obtained from Neil Boortz (whatever happened to that guy?), Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity who told her everything she needs to know.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Aug 5, 2023

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I wonder how many news cycles it'd take for Fox and pals to make the corporate logo over-alls a cool and good thing, we're taking these donations to make those libs and lefties mad, and this is real patriotism.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Shooting Blanks posted:

He's easy prey. DeSantis gets a lot of attention and coverage since the media is still treating him as the only credible alternative to Trump, but he's also clearly a pushover who has no chance looking good on stage. That makes a very attractive target for someone looking to boost their profile.

Mustang posted:

I think Newsom had a point when he asked "where is my party?" last summer. Democrats should be more aggressive with their messaging with all the hosed up poo poo Republicans are doing on nearly a daily basis.

The answer is "they're all talking to empty press conferences because the reporters all bailed early to go cover the next wacky Trump hijinks". That's one of the basic problems of the post-escalator political environment: no matter how aggressively Dems message, they're still a hundred times more boring than the insane nonsense all the Republicans are doing.

Main Paineframe fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Aug 6, 2023

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
yeah desantis throws off pretty much every 'easy fuckin target' signal possible. dude is just weird and unsympathetic and has a zuckerberg level ability to just look weird in every picture I see of him. I still don't get what people were seeing in him to hype him up other than that he did well in a state where he had no effective opposition

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Herstory Begins Now posted:

yeah desantis throws off pretty much every 'easy fuckin target' signal possible. dude is just weird and unsympathetic and has a zuckerberg level ability to just look weird in every picture I see of him. I still don't get what people were seeing in him to hype him up other than that he did well in a state where he had no effective opposition

People weren't actually paying attention, and conflated the string of Florida Governor's barely winning with the Florida Democratic Party not being a shuffling undead corpse of a party. So to the larger population, he's a guy getting stuff done and turning a blighted peninsula Republican. You had to actually pay attention to realize that the Florida Democratic Party is less than worthless, his stunts are largely long term failures, and in a live setting he is an incarnation of the uncanny valley.

Florida is famously a battleground state despite not having a Democratic Governor since 1998. Which for some reason makes people think that the Florida Governor must have some sort of something going for him. This is despite the list of Governors being JEB!, The Tan Man Who Hugged Obama, The Visual Personification Of The Words "Serial Killer", and Puddin' Ron.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Herstory Begins Now posted:

He spent years very blatantly lining himself up to run, so he had the media's attention by virtue of being the first person lining up to challenge Trump, as well as a fair amount of name recognition from his endless lineup of ultra-right stunts. Although he wasn't anywhere near the first person to officially declare his candidacy, the punditry had been expecting a DeSantis run since the moment Biden was inaugurated, so they'd already built up years of DeSantis v. Trump horserace coverage.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Mustang posted:

Plus, why shouldn't he go after guys like DeSantis? There might be little the governor of California can do about what happens in Florida or other red states but it's better than just sitting back with nothing to say.

I mean, here’s the thing, Gavin’s best skill is that he’s perhaps the only self-aware villain governor Dems have right now. It’s fundamentally impossible for him to win an open primary based on *gestures broadly at single payer and high speed rail failures and 800 other failed promises*, but he’s one of very few competent media operators in the park right now that can take a fox cycle and do things with it. He’s not a positive politician in a meaningful sense—he’s a force multiplier against republicans whose main feature is articulating contrasts.

He serves the same purpose Christie did in 2016 as a figure of a few elite traits in embarrassing cracks and taking media cycles, but few accomplishments beyond election wins. He can knife fight basically any modern GOP pol, but he can’t run on a message that implies actual progress so much as broad anti reaction.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Gyges posted:

People weren't actually paying attention, and conflated the string of Florida Governor's barely winning with the Florida Democratic Party not being a shuffling undead corpse of a party. So to the larger population, he's a guy getting stuff done and turning a blighted peninsula Republican. You had to actually pay attention to realize that the Florida Democratic Party is less than worthless, his stunts are largely long term failures, and in a live setting he is an incarnation of the uncanny valley.

Florida is famously a battleground state despite not having a Democratic Governor since 1998. Which for some reason makes people think that the Florida Governor must have some sort of something going for him. This is despite the list of Governors being JEB!, The Tan Man Who Hugged Obama, The Visual Personification Of The Words "Serial Killer", and Puddin' Ron.

There's a bizarre amount of political kabuki theatre based on apparently both parties still believing that the Florida Democrats are actually formidable opposition and not worse than controlled opposition. Which about jives with how many of the leadership hasn't absorbed any new information since 1991, but still.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

It's appropriate that you posted those pictures because I honestly consider the moment I first saw the photo of that lady with the giant jowls / triple chin making fun of John Kerry's war service to be the single most profound moment of political awakening for me. I was a dip poo poo apolitical both sides 20 year old until I saw that photo.

This is also why it is simultaneously true that pointing out Republican hypocrisy will never make the true believers break down and abandon their beliefs, and why it's valuable to anyone on the left not addicted to failure: they're not the target and they're never the target (unless you're doing it to make your MAGA uncle glower and squirm in patio conversation or something.) Almost everyone's journey out of dipshit apolitical/unengaged moderate has that in its early phases: seeing and internalizing that "Yeah, both sides have elements I like and some things I don't, I don't care enough to take sides" tends to fall apart when you realize that it hangs on lies like "Conservatives might be more hawkish but they also take better care of veterans" or "Christians might have some old-fashioned views but the teachings they follow are good at heart" or "Republicans are good for the economy." They have to learn that somewhere, and it's usually not solely via independent observation.

Which also ties into the example. I mean, making Uncle Charlie uncomfortable when he goes on an insincere political rant is temporary gratification since he'll just reject it when he runs out of easy responses. But getting your other cousin go one step away from "Yeah, he's a bit intense but it's out of love of God and country" and toward "Wow, that guy would spit on a Gold Star family if they disrespected Trump and thinks Jesus would hate helping the poor if the government did it, what does he think being a patriotic Christian is?" That's forever.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

That said, there's still no point to it unless you actually have a receptive audience, and a venue favourable to you. Especially because, as said, Republican hypocrisy is a deliberate tactic to enrage, confuse and bog down Democrats trying to refute it thinking they're being smart- the whole thing about antisemites engaging in debate with no intent of making logical or consistent arguments, but to confuse and enrage their enemies while getting their message out, and going quiet the moment it's not fun anymore. It goes both ways. They want you walking away thinking you're smart and everyone else is stupid, and everyone else thinking you're an insufferable self-righteous know-it-all who just wants to lecture them for being bad.

You can maybe try getting people on a personal level pointing out hypocrisy relevant to them specifically, maybe. Point out to a struggling veteran how Republicans gleefully cut their lifelines and only have use for them as mascots for war, to a worrying parent about how they don't really love kids, only the idea of kids being healthy, obedient, gender conforming and compliant with indoctrination, not having any actual physical problems like being hungry or needing shelter.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That said, there's still no point to it unless you actually have a receptive audience, and a venue favourable to you. Especially because, as said, Republican hypocrisy is a deliberate tactic to enrage, confuse and bog down Democrats trying to refute it thinking they're being smart- the whole thing about antisemites engaging in debate with no intent of making logical or consistent arguments, but to confuse and enrage their enemies while getting their message out, and going quiet the moment it's not fun anymore. It goes both ways. They want you walking away thinking you're smart and everyone else is stupid, and everyone else thinking you're an insufferable self-righteous know-it-all who just wants to lecture them for being bad.

You can maybe try getting people on a personal level pointing out hypocrisy relevant to them specifically, maybe. Point out to a struggling veteran how Republicans gleefully cut their lifelines and only have use for them as mascots for war, to a worrying parent about how they don't really love kids, only the idea of kids being healthy, obedient, gender conforming and compliant with indoctrination, not having any actual physical problems like being hungry or needing shelter.

You can condense all of that into "You have to use it in front of people who think words have meaning and do it without looking like the rear end in a top hat" but that also describes literally every political argument.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Killer robot posted:

You can condense all of that into "You have to use it in front of people who think words have meaning and do it without looking like the rear end in a top hat" but that also describes literally every political argument.

Yeah, but the point is you have to hammer it home because it goes against everything liberals have been taught to do.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

He spent years very blatantly lining himself up to run, so he had the media's attention by virtue of being the first person lining up to challenge Trump, as well as a fair amount of name recognition from his endless lineup of ultra-right stunts. Although he wasn't anywhere near the first person to officially declare his candidacy, the punditry had been expecting a DeSantis run since the moment Biden was inaugurated, so they'd already built up years of DeSantis v. Trump horserace coverage.

I think one of the main things that helped set him up is that the 2022 midterms were very disappointing for the GOP, except in Florida where DeSantis won reelection in a landslide. Made him look like he had something to him that rest of the party did not.

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Aug 6, 2023

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Charlz Guybon posted:

I think one of the main things that helped set him up is that the 2022 midterms were very disappointing for the GOP, except in Florida where DeSantis won reelection in a landslide. Made him look like he had something to him that rest of the party did not.

Not everyone can run against Charlie Crist, despite his best efforts.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I'm not sure anyone who knows much about Florida has seen it as a battleground state for the last 10+ years. Democrats can win statewide races against stronger candidates than DeSantis in battleground states.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Name Change posted:

I'm not sure anyone who knows much about Florida has seen it as a battleground state for the last 10+ years. Democrats can win statewide races against stronger candidates than DeSantis in battleground states.

I reckon the only people who know anything about Florida are Floridians and chronic politics followers like us, and even the first one is dubious at best.

So, Joe Average who has never even been to Florida might see someone on TV call Florida a battleground state and see no reason to care enough to question the claim.

Kind of like how chuds who have never gone further west than Ohio are convinced that all of California is some Mad Max wasteland of Mexican drug rapists or Portland is a smoking crater labeled Antifa because the places they get their "information" from told them as much and they don't see a reason to doubt it.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I don’t think that’s a fair comparison because the sources for those claims are typically fringe alt right sources, but every reputable mainstream news media calls Florida purple.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Remember Desantis barely won his first time as governor, won the second time cause it's Charlie Christ. And former governor Voldemort won his Senate seat cause our astronaut Democrat who had the seat didn't campaign at all. But I agree Democractic party in Florida is a shambling corpse.

The local south Florida parts are just DINO, or we keep selecting nepo babies/legacy family members who don't say what party they are and are wishy washy but as soon as they do they are Republicans.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Name Change posted:

In 2018 Bill Nelson lost the senate race by .07% and DeSantis only won election .4%%

In 2022 Rubio won re-election by 16.4% and DeSantis won it by 19.4%

That's a massive swing in only 4 years.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Name Change posted:

If dems ran a decent candidate with a good messaging campaign in FL then they could do well. Andrew Gillium lost by like 30k votes out of more than 8 million cast. Maybe things have changed with the influx of conservatives coming into the state but I think that the problem is just the state party and Crist definitively not being that guy.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Boris Galerkin posted:

I don’t think that’s a fair comparison because the sources for those claims are typically fringe alt right sources, but every reputable mainstream news media calls Florida purple.

Fair enough, I was mostly just trying to expand on my point of "People who aren't living there or chronic politics followers are only going to know what they're told about far off places."

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

MixMasterMalaria posted:

Maybe things have changed with the influx of conservatives coming into the state

I definitely think so. People across the country saw the exaggerated parody of Florida and said “there’s a place where I can finally feel normal” and now they can’t build enough houses for them all. I have to imagine a significant number of people got out for the same reason (myself one of them), but the amount of republican imports is considerable.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Wayne Knight posted:

I definitely think so. People across the country saw the exaggerated parody of Florida and said “there’s a place where I can finally feel normal” and now they can’t build enough houses for them all. I have to imagine a significant number of people got out for the same reason (myself one of them), but the amount of republican imports is considerable.

I listened to this recent This American Life episode and it covers the conservative migration to Florida. It's not going to be a blue state for a long time

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Name Change posted:

Gillum came very close to beating DeSantis in 2018, with a pretty left-leaning platform. I don't think Florida's unsalvageable yet.

Though another way of looking at it is that even during the blue wave year of 2018, the Dems still couldn't beat a non-incumbent in a FL statewide race. Plus the GOP holds clear supermajorities in both houses of the state legislature, which is why DeSantis has been able to be so lovely in the first place.

With the way demographics have been trending in FL, the window of opportunity for the FL Dems to make a comeback is shrinking rapidly, and I don't think the conservative old guard of the party is going to get out of the way fast enough. There's also the fact that corruption is absolutely rampant in the FL Dems.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I feel like a lot of what's happened in Florida has to do with generational political trends. The Greatest generation leaned pretty Democratic (not that they're so great, a lot of that was a legacy of Democratic dominance of the South.) In 2000 Gore won 65+ 51-47.

Now old people are rabidly conservative. And there's probably also been a narrowing of the economic band of people who can afford a leisurely warm-state retirement that has made that demographic trend even more conservative. So you think "well, Florida's always been old, so it can't be the olds" but old people used to be a much more politically balanced group than they are now.

(Not sure how much this was written in stone during the Nixon/Reagan years and how much it's a result of the Fox News Industrial complex, probably a bit of both.)

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

Medullah posted:

I listened to this recent This American Life episode and it covers the conservative migration to Florida. It's not going to be a blue state for a long time

Does This American Life do stories that don't make you want to shoot yourself anymore? God, that was bleak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Main Paineframe posted:

Gillum came very close to beating DeSantis in 2018, with a pretty left-leaning platform. I don't think Florida's unsalvageable yet.

Though another way of looking at it is that even during the blue wave year of 2018, the Dems still couldn't beat a non-incumbent in a FL statewide race. Plus the GOP holds clear supermajorities in both houses of the state legislature, which is why DeSantis has been able to be so lovely in the first place.

With the way demographics have been trending in FL, the window of opportunity for the FL Dems to make a comeback is shrinking rapidly, and I don't think the conservative old guard of the party is going to get out of the way fast enough. There's also the fact that corruption is absolutely rampant in the FL Dems.
Another huge problem is that when DeSantis came into office in 2019, he was able to flip the state SC Republican because like 4-5 seats had retirements kick in as he arrived. So the court will be conservative for another 15 years or so.