Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Yes I know all cops are class traitors and an occupying military force, that’s my point.

So it’s not going to matter whether or not our IDs are digital or not - they already are behind the scenes…

I guess it was only a matter of time before Goons started reaching boomer levels of paranoia with technology they don’t want to understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I dunno man you seem to be posting through it a bit. It’s not really that hard to understand not wanting to involve your phone at all during an interaction with a cop. Luckily there are different forms of ID and we can use whatever we’re most comfortable with without besmirching the good name of Tim Cook and the dedicated Apple developers.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
More like Tim Crook

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

MarcusSA posted:

There’s like no way that’s not already digital in your insurance app.

Not here in Australia as far as I know. Both the government issued card and the one for my private insurer have magnetic strips that need to be swiped through a dedicated terminal

Edit: I checked and by golly I can actually add both to my wallet! Now I just need my drivers licence.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Aug 6, 2023

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

It’s also incredibly unconstitutional and been challenged in court numerous times.

And that’s different from the likely outcome of court challenges to “I tried to NFC him my ID and he grabbed my phone”… how?

Definitely don’t just hand your unlocked phone over to cops, but the way digital ID is being implemented is fine.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

The Lord Bude posted:

Not here in Australia as far as I know. Both the government issued card and the one for my private insurer have magnetic strips that need to be swiped through a dedicated terminal

Edit: I checked and by golly I can actually add both to my wallet! Now I just need my drivers licence.

You barely need your driver's licence in Australia anyway. Just take a photo of it.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

~Coxy posted:

You barely need your driver's licence in Australia anyway. Just take a photo of it.

I still get carded occasionally, and a photo of a drivers licence is not a valid form of ID for proving you’re old enough to buy stuff that’s age restricted

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I gotta admit I forgot about proof of age.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Corb3t posted:

It won't be long before every state has digital ID's and we're all digitally pre-checking for events that serve booze or whatever.

Lol, we can’t even get all 50 states to do real ID’s, with all the anti government and anti voting poo poo now a days there is no way in hell from a man political standpoint that digital IDs are rolled out nationwide. Can’t risk having illegals vote !

I do appreciate you trying to explain the differences , but it’s just kinda a moot point. As a different poster said, it’s not really an Apple problem. Politics wise digital IDs won’t be adopted, and to others point I agree that anything having even the potential scenario of handing an unlocked phone to cops is uhhhh, not a good idea.

For everything else it should be fine, but your ID specifically I don’t think we’ll ever see wide spread adoption in the US.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

It’s worth noting 30 states are currently exploring rolling out digital IDs.

Georgia just became the 4th state to roll out digital ID, including NFC support via Apple Watch.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Aug 6, 2023

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Corb3t posted:

Georgia just rolled out digital ID with NFC via Apple Watch.

kinda shocked there isn't more shrieking about it being the mark of the beast and that kind of poo poo

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Arivia posted:

kinda shocked there isn't more shrieking about it being the mark of the beast and that kind of poo poo

All of our IDs are part of the Real ID network thanks to Bush and 9/11, I think people are underestimating just how quickly States will adopt this stuff, especially if it saves administrative costs and is already integrated with backend databases.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Arivia posted:

If you want shrieking, wait til the MAGA crowd finds out that contacts has a field for pronouns in iOS 17.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

If you want shrieking, wait til the MAGA crowd finds out that contacts has a field for pronouns in iOS 17.

That one is just gonna be rolled over into Apple being a Silicon Valley woke company already. :v:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Corb3t posted:

All of our IDs are part of the Real ID network thanks to Bush and 9/11, I think people are underestimating just how quickly States will adopt this stuff, especially if it saves administrative costs and is already integrated with backend databases.

??? No they aren’t. My last 2 IDs have been in Missouri and Illinois and neither are in the real ID network. I got my Illinois ID 2 years ago and it is not real ID (I didn’t have enough paperwork at the time and said gently caress it).

Also, the US, well known for being proactive on saving administrative costs.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

??? No they aren’t. My last 2 IDs have been in Missouri and Illinois and neither are in the real ID network. I got my Illinois ID 2 years ago and it is not real ID (I didn’t have enough paperwork at the time and said gently caress it).

Also, the US, well known for being proactive on saving administrative costs.

Apologies, the final deadline for Real ID rollout was delayed until 2025 due to covid. Most states are already compliant and share databases on the back-end, though. As of February 2023, 38 states were participating in this system.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Aug 6, 2023

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Corb3t posted:

I guess it was only a matter of time before Goons started reaching boomer levels of paranoia with technology they don’t want to understand.

It’s not paranoia about technology, it’s paranoia about cops.

DeusIgnis
Jan 17, 2010

Corb3t posted:

Georgia just became the 4th state to roll out digital ID, including NFC support via Apple Watch.

I live in a state that offers digital IDs in the Wallet app, however, I still carry everything to include the physical credit cards.

DeusIgnis fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Aug 6, 2023

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Arizona was the first to do the digital ID. As far as I know it lets you get through TSA at Sky Harbor airport without pulling your wallet out. I sincerely doubt anyone will accept looking at your phone as proof of anything for a long time. The state also recommends you carry your normal ID.

Question Mark Mound posted:

I vaguely remember something when Apple Wallet was new where they hyped up the idea of your loyalty cards popping up on your lock screen when you enter a store. Did that just never materialise or did it require specific adoption by each store that they never got enough places to opt in to?

Flight passes will show up a few hours before the flight but that seems based on time rather than location.

My gym does this, quite handy.

Now for a stupid accessory I found a use for. This thing:

That's the Razor Chroma phone cooler, it's a tiny Peltier cooler for your phone that uses magsafe to stick. It's ostensibly for gaming, but what I got it for was to keep my phone from overheating what navigating in Carplay. I have not had a single time it has gone "Charging on hold" due to heat since I used it. I should note I live in Phoenix so the ambient temp of my car when I get in is like 130f, so no matter where I stick the phone it's probably warming it up for a while.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Have you considered simply moving to a place that is actually fit for human habitation?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Where’s that?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Anywhere but Phoenix.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Corb3t posted:

Most of airlines and bigger concerts that given me iOS wallet tickets that are NFC scanned without handing over my device.

Are the airlines really using NFC scanners? I thought they were just scanning barcodes.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

smackfu posted:

Are the airlines really using NFC scanners? I thought they were just scanning barcodes.

All of the ones I’ve used in the past have just scanned the barcode.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

withak posted:

Anywhere but Phoenix.

Careful, they might just move to Tucson.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

PirateDentist posted:

Arizona was the first to do the digital ID. As far as I know it lets you get through TSA at Sky Harbor airport without pulling your wallet out. I sincerely doubt anyone will accept looking at your phone as proof of anything for a long time. The state also recommends you carry your normal ID.

That's the Razor Chroma phone cooler, it's a tiny Peltier cooler for your phone that uses magsafe to stick. It's ostensibly for gaming, but what I got it for was to keep my phone from overheating what navigating in Carplay. I have not had a single time it has gone "Charging on hold" due to heat since I used it. I should note I live in Phoenix so the ambient temp of my car when I get in is like 130f, so no matter where I stick the phone it's probably warming it up for a while.

I don't know what's more beautiful, this or the guy in the Android thread from way back who used grip tape so the phone didn't slip.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

PirateDentist posted:

I tried to set the ID up as an Arizona ID haver but the app is so bad I had to give up.

E: and yeah what I did was I got a beer coozy and stick my phone in it when the temps are bad. The newer phones are actually a little better at fighting the heat, and just taking the case off (or using a plastic case instead of a leather case) usually works, so I don't need to do it anymore but there was one point where I had one of those lunch bags you put in the freezer overnight that I would stick my phone in during road trips to the desert.

Rick fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Aug 8, 2023

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Branch Nvidian posted:

Careful, they might just move to Tucson.

People have lived in Tucson for over a thousand years.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Rick posted:

People have lived in Tucson for over a thousand years.

Well who's fault is that?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is there really no way to get a new iPhone 14 Pro with a physical SIM card in the US? I’m not going to get a 14 Pro with the 15 right around the corner but when I do get the 15 I’d like to be able to use a SIM card.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

May I ask why? Actually curious not being a dick.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is there really no way to get a new iPhone 14 Pro with a physical SIM card in the US?

Im sure if you ask nicely, the carrier will give you a SIM card but not sure where you’ll put it.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I travel and I use a small mvno in the us so there’s no option for an international data plan like I’d get if I went with Verizon.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Could you add a second international esim when traveling? When I went to France ~4 years ago “picking up” a 5 day esim through a broker website was so much more affordable than going to one of the big carriers for a plan.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I dunno, can I? From my experience European carriers are a bit slower to adopt the new poo poo Apple throws into iPhones.

Not to mention I’m planning on going to South America end of the year, most likely after the next iPhone comes out.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I got an eSIM when I went to Italy.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I’m pretty sure the US was late to the esim game compared to the rest of the world, but you can easily do some googling to find out what will be available wherever you’re going. It’s a million times more convenient and likely cheaper than the old physical SIM paradigm.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

iPhones support up to 8 eSIM profiles on the phone (2 active at time)

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I just bought one of these last week and it's been really good. The magnet is really strong and works with my Otterbox case I got at Apple (https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/product/HQ5C2ZM/A/otterbox-figura-series-case-with-magsafe-for-iphone-14-pro-max-black).

Loving the ios17 nightstand mode - hope more apps get added to it.
https://www.amazon.ca/ESR-HaloLock-Kickstand-Magsafe-Compatible-Removable/dp/B08YYMCK26/

Only downside is that it doesn't come with a wall charger for USB-C so I had to get one as my only ones are the one that came with my Apple Watch. Walmart had a dual plug for $39 CAD which seemed a bit excessive but it is what it is and I didnt want to order one from Amazon and wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Speaking of Standby in iOS 17, how do I reliably get it to appear? I got this Anker MagSafe charge stand for Standby the other day, but in a few nights of putting my phone on there, I've only seen Standby once. I don't have the portrait lock enabled in Control Center but it's like my phone stays in portrait mode despite putting it on the charge stand horizontally :confused:

Is this something that'll get fixed in future betas or am I doing something wrong?