Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

drhermes posted:

That's their point, but it doesn't reflect real life, Women are treated much more leniently when it comes to physical violence, being disorderly or damaging property. As a rule, men are arrested more often and given harsher sentences than women are for the same offense.. even when they commit them together. Maybe it's hardwired in our brains or it's social structure, but people feel more sympathy for women. In domestic disputes or public arguments, everyone automatically takes the woman's side and assume she's not the instigator. So that dialogue just rings false.

What has always bugged me is all the movies where a man says something improper... not doing anything physical.. and the woman assaults. The audience laughs and cheers. Even as a kid, I didn't find it funny when women in movies kicked a man in the balls. Almost as awful where the scenes even in romance movies where a woman slaps a man across the face hard as a whip, and he doesn't even flinch. That's sending a wrong message.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

To me dino damage means you can pop off the skin panel of the dinosaur and it reveals the muscle and bones underneath, not that it's just damaged in general.

Well its like how pre-ripped jeans aren't damaged in general

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I read -- I hope not here -- that Kate McKinnon can't do Barbie-style splits , so the set designer worked around that by putting leg holes in the sets at carefully out-of-sightline locations and propping a prosthetic leg in the right position. I love that sort of movie detail.

It certainly looked like fake legs, when it wasn't a stunt double who was looking away from the camera.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Aside: I just saw a YouTube video rhapsodizing about Richard Gere's dancing in Chicago... while running footage of him (purportedly) filmed from the back, interspersed with long close-ups of two dancing feet. Ah, movie magic.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I remember back when that movie hit theaters and press outlets breathlessly reported how Richard Gere learned to tapdance for the role. It also came up sometimes in movie theater trivia slides. Maybe there's a sly dig in there somewhere. "Hey everyone, remember when Richard Gere learned to tapdance? You remember that, Richard? All the dancing you did for the Chicago movie? Want to tell us some more about it?"

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

You know who originated the role on Broadway? Jerry loving Orbach. Who had a distinguished Broadway career, including El Gallo in The Fantasticks.

God forbid movies should cast triple-threat actors instead of stars.

L.H.O.O.Q.
Jan 3, 2013

:coal:

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

If 70mm film is imagined as ‘masculine’ - and the implicit ‘feminine’ counterpoint is, like, a cellphone video in portrait orientation - then it should be immediately obvious that we’re actually talking about the vagaries of class.

Looking for the counterpart is natural and there often will be one set in opposition but often there’s just absence. ‘Class’ takes gender and patriarchy right back out of the equation, though I see how that is the go to system to talk about assignations of value. But we can work with the patriarchal creation of a masculine ‘upper class’ and a feminine ‘lower class’. Value is ascribed to ‘things men do’. Taking art as an example, ceramics and textile works were for the longest time seen as lesser materials compared to painting and sculpture. Or another example, in popular culture, the artist who wrapped things up is Christo. Completely writing out Jeanne-Claude, the equal partner in the practice, until fairly recently. Or food preparation. Cooking is ‘women’s work’. A woman’s place is in the kitchen etc. But at the same time we have the Michelin star masculine chef culture created, with ‘brigades’ of sous-chefs and more such militarisms.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

L.H.O.O.Q. posted:

Looking for the counterpart is natural and there often will be one set in opposition but often there’s just absence. ‘Class’ takes gender and patriarchy right back out of the equation, though I see how that is the go to system to talk about assignations of value. But we can work with the patriarchal creation of a masculine ‘upper class’ and a feminine ‘lower class’. Value is ascribed to ‘things men do’. Taking art as an example, ceramics and textile works were for the longest time seen as lesser materials compared to painting and sculpture. Or another example, in popular culture, the artist who wrapped things up is Christo. Completely writing out Jeanne-Claude, the equal partner in the practice, until fairly recently. Or food preparation. Cooking is ‘women’s work’. A woman’s place is in the kitchen etc. But at the same time we have the Michelin star masculine chef culture created, with ‘brigades’ of sous-chefs and more such militarisms.

Class doesn't take anything out of the equation. That's not how it works. Labour is extremely 'Masculine' coded with sweaty men in singlets and hard hats working in factories, construction or even just wearing suits and issuing commands at the top of the boardroom, while wealth is 'feminine' coded with leisure and pampering, engaging in delicate and sissy sports and hobbies and wearing fancy clothes and going to fancy social events, something women celebrate and men tolerate. That this is contradictory and absurd is the point, because the standards cannot be lived up to. They don't make sense, they aren't real, and they don't work. That's one of the reasons they're a problem. Like Barbie literally spells this out with how she's held to absolutely ridiculous and contradictory standards that she can only embody by being inhuman and unreal.

This also of course ignores women who have always done backbreaking labour; you rarely see Fruit Picker Barbie, Fast Food Worker Barbie, Parentified Sibling Barbie, etc. Because another one of the criticisms of Barbie as a movie and a franchise is an extremely upper-middle-class White Feminist idea of womanhood, and the general problems of said strain of feminism basically being rich white women who are miffed that they haven't gotten their turn to run the empire.

Also not to mention in your example you've got film being coded as a 'bro' thing, of tedious annoying tryhard film bro jock-nerds Snyderbro bro bros who demand all this effort into things while girls just turn your phone sideways and post it to TikTok, which is ludicrously sexist in about every direction for a lot of reasons and wildly ignorant of the history and present of film, media and culture. Sometimes people are being gatekept because they genuinely do just expect to be praised and rewarded just for showing up and don't expect to have to put any effort into it, and wilfully ignore the history of women actually being in movies, making movies, writing movies etc. Yes, it basically goes like that bit where Lisa wants to play football.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Aug 6, 2023

L.H.O.O.Q.
Jan 3, 2013

:coal:
I’m not saying film as a whole is a ‘bro’ thing at all and one of my points is exactly as you say that patriarchy ignores or writes out the history of women in everything.

Class and patriarchy are indelibly intwined. I was just saying, I guess clumsily, that in this instance using class rather than patriarchy in the discussion loses focus as class discussion has a wider framework (political, racial etc), where gender forms just part of the description. The cultural creation of a male ‘upper class’ and a female ‘lower class’ generates all the absurdities and contradictions you rightly point out.

L.H.O.O.Q. fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Aug 6, 2023

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Yes, just the problem is many approaches to feminism uncritically buy into the patriarchy's narratives and thus you end up with several dozen 'the first female superhero' and 'the first gay character in Star Wars' among other things. The people who have the loudest platforms don't want to do the hard work of excavating those erased narratives and the untold histories of media rather than sweeping aside all that tainted and incorrect media that I imagine the people who vaguely annoy me like, to be replaced with fresh new correct media, which incidentally appeals exactly to me and all my tastes and also makes me lots of money.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I did love the gag in the opening where everyone reacts really positively to being greeted EXCEPT if it's a ken greeting another ken.

Just like

quote:

Barbie A: Hi Barbie!
Barbie B: Hi Barbie!
Ken C: Hi Barbie!
Barbie A: Hi Ken!
Ken D: Hi Barbie!
Beach Ken: Hi Ken!
Ken D: -_-

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

L.H.O.O.Q. posted:

. Barbie for the female audience and Oppenheimer for the male. It’s asinine, but there it is.

I only saw Oppenheimer because my wife wanted to, and we only saw Barbie because I did. Stop putting your poo poo world view onto others.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

iwentdoodie posted:

I only saw Oppenheimer because my wife wanted to, and we only saw Barbie because I did. Stop putting your poo poo world view onto others.

Noticing that the world we live in gender-codes things like movies isn't an attempt to force that distinction on people. They describe it as asinine in your quote and as "backward and dumb" earlier in that paragraph.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/barbie-oppenheimer-box-office-1235542025/
In their opening weekends, Barbie's audience was 69% female and Oppenheimer's was 62% male.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
It's officially passed $1 billion, hell yeah

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

smug n stuff posted:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/barbie-oppenheimer-box-office-1235542025/
In their opening weekends, Barbie's audience was 69% female and Oppenheimer's was 62% male.

So, 38% of the people who went to see Oppenheimer were women (gender binary, bah). That seems like quite a large number to me.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

Bogus Adventure posted:

Right, but I'm talking about the Verhoeven-directed Starship Troopers and not the sequels that kept Neumeier on, and Paul is very vocal about how he wanted to portray the material. Who has more influence on the ultimate portrayal of a movie-the screenwriter or the director? I'd say the director, since they determine the inflection of line delivery and the cuts of the film.

The conversation about whether the screenwriter or director had more say in Starship Troopers is exceedingly silly. No matter the ideologies of the specific creatives, you can watch the movie and it's ridiculously obvious within thirty literal seconds that it's mocking blind jingoism.

People bringing up "Starship Troopers is secretly critiquing fascism" like it's a fun fact is always annoying. It's not a secret, it announces its intentions immediately and loudly.

Albatrossy_Rodent fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Aug 7, 2023

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

The conversation about whether the screemwriter or director had more say in Starship Troopers is exceedingly silly. No matter the ideologies of the specific creatives, you can watch the movie and it's ridiculously obvious within thirty literal seconds that it's mocking blind jingoism.

People bringing up "Starship Troopers is secretly critiquing fascism" like it's a fun fact is always annoying. It's not a secret, it announces its intentions immediately and loudly.

It should have been, right? But a ton of critics at the time thought it was serious despite Verhoeven's history of making satire. Mobile infantry soldiers laughing while handing out bullets to kids was apparently seen as serious argument toward a "service guarantees citizenship" future.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

iwentdoodie posted:

lol patriarchy is OVER

notenome
Jul 26, 2023

Bogus Adventure posted:

It should have been, right? But a ton of critics at the time thought it was serious despite Verhoeven's history of making satire. Mobile infantry soldiers laughing while handing out bullets to kids was apparently seen as serious argument toward a "service guarantees citizenship" future.

Verhoeven is weird because he's extremely unsubtle and yet is frequently misunderstood, even by accomplished critics like Ebert (love him or hate him). Pretty much everyone nowadays accepts that Starship Troopers is a satire of fascism but Showgirls is still in critical limbo.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

notenome posted:

Verhoeven is weird because he's extremely unsubtle and yet is frequently misunderstood, even by accomplished critics like Ebert (love him or hate him). Pretty much everyone nowadays accepts that Starship Troopers is a satire of fascism but Showgirls is still in critical limbo.

Yeah, I linked a couple reviews up (including Ebert's, lol) where they watched the film and say, "Wow, this is a really dangerous idea. It's a shame it wasn't critically analyzed in this very sincere and not-at-all-satirical film." And the only reason I even included this diversion is just because of people saying Gloria's speech probably didn't have to be said out loud. The problem with not doing that is you're going to have a lot of the audience watch the film without ever landing on the message because there are people who just watch movies to pass the time and don't think about them. Sometimes it's best to err on being too direct than relying on the audience to pick up an underlying message.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Is it a sign of cultural progress or regression that instead of pwning nerds over Prometheus SMG has to pwn libs over Barbie?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

The conversation about whether the screenwriter or director had more say in Starship Troopers is exceedingly silly. No matter the ideologies of the specific creatives, you can watch the movie and it's ridiculously obvious within thirty literal seconds that it's mocking blind jingoism.

Boom316 posted:

I never heard of all these satire rumors, but I wouldn't believe a word of them. Satire is generally more obvious and/or more cynical than that movie seemed to be. It was tounge-in-cheek, I'll say that, but I doubt Verhoven is smart enough to do a satire. (Does anyone ever notice how often a director is blamed for a writer's shortcomings? I mean, at some point the director should be the problem too, but do they really deserve all the bad credit?)

Bolding mine.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Breetai posted:

Bolding mine.

lmao

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
wasn't the genius of Starship troopers that the anglophone real world bent into it's reality after 9/11 happened?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Breetai posted:

Bolding mine.

that thread is a trip lol

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

porfiria posted:

Is it a sign of cultural progress or regression that instead of pwning nerds over Prometheus SMG has to pwn libs over Barbie?

Libs are just the next step up from nerds. SMG has levelled up.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
It's interesting how the Barbie movie has been kind of a blank slate for terminally online folks in arguing whether it is a woke film or anti woke film. Ben Shapiro ranted that it was a very Woke movie, but Shoeonhead argued it was in fact an anti woke movie based on her own observations.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I am honestly baffled by this. I was responding to a list of movies. I said that two of them dealt with being women, and one dealt with being Black and a woman. I don't know what else I could have done; it would have been ghastly to refer to Hidden Figures only as it dealt with women. Again, I was responding to a list, and I was replying to that list. I did not in any way say or imply that Hidden Figures was lesser because the characters were both Black and women.

I'm not saying that there aren't other feminist movies. I am saying that this particular movie did something different; essentially what Computer Serf said.

It’s not actually possible to make a film dealing with the abstract and pure idea of woman/feminism. Having characters face the camera and use specific academic language not only doesn’t render unto it universality, but actually emphasizes a very specific politico-historical context.

Computer Serf posted:

Yes! The writing is brilliant on the surface level with the very obvious dialog and plot points, but there’s obviously an archetypal film nerd depth and extensive meta criticality. I dare say it’s playing with post-modern critical theory but unpretentiously and with a gigantic brand as a trojan horse.

OK, cool so let’s get into it. I'll start off by saying I think the movie is good and very well made.

The movie is about the crisis of Barbie’s soul — not Robbie’s character and her existential terror, but Barbie ©’s soul, in the sense that theorist Michel Foucault saw it.

“The soul is the effect and instrument of a political anatomy; the soul is the prison of the body.”

In our actual world, Barbie is important because of the marketing’s moral claim that their products inspire girls to resist their gendered positions. As their message loses its potency, the biggest conflict of the film is derived through Barbie’s waning relevance. This is best exemplified in the Mattel CEO character played by Will Ferrell, who in a moment of genuine personal courage, betrays his fiduciary duty to serve his moral duty — it’s his total belief in the marketing fantasy that renders his salvation.

In the seminal gender studies text, Gender Trouble, Judith Butler did important theoretical work to de-essentialize gender, situating it as a series of discursive historical practices, and building on J. L. Austin’s Speech-Act theory established her theoretical concept of “gender performativity”. But her theoretical indebtedness to Foucault lead to the same deadlock in how to act politically. For post-structuralists, it is beyond the limits of human capacity to theorize categorically, as for the Foucauldian subject’s world, both outer and inner, is wholly constructed/known by power. Butler attempts to bypass this theoretical deadlock by implementing Derrida’s deconstruction in “gender performativity” to produce unforeseen knowledge unknowable by power.

"If the rules governing signification not only restrict, but enable the assertion of alternative domains of cultural intelligibility, i.e., new possibilities for gender that contest the rigid codes of hierarchical binarisms, then it is only within the practices of repetitive signifying that a subversion of identity becomes possible... The coexistence or convergence of [different] discursive injunctions produces the possibility of a complex reconfiguration and redeployment."
- Judith Butler, Gender Trouble

The issue is that Butler disregards crucial aspects of J.L’s Austin’s Speech-Act theory, namely that it is institutional power that gives a speech-act its power.

I wrote all of this to say, that Butler’s problematic usage of the speech-act theory parallels not only the Barbie film’s narrative, but also how the film is being received. In Barbie Land, identity reigns supreme. The men do not establish Kendom because of any material concerns, but for their lack of recognition that renders them sub-human. The Kens overcome their oppression by deconstructing the gender politics of their world, which in turn robs young girls everywhere of their precious inspiration. Once things are back to normal, the proposition of producing Mid-Barbie is on the table.

This has brought us here, where people feel they need to defend the historical importance of an absurdly financially successful IP film against the toxic-masculine film bros of CineD.

KVeezy3 fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Aug 7, 2023

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
:psyduck:
https://twitter.com/lucacadamo/status/1688275481236246529?t=9e_WCymAV97I70G2WurSzQ&s=19

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

How could Barbie and Ken do this to Alan???

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
We have proof that Allan hosed, and he's an incel?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

does this guy know how babies are made or

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
That's why Allan's so chill. He knows exactly where he lies with Midge. The Kens' things are vaguely defined, but Allan is canonically the father to Midge's eternal pregnancy.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Android Apocalypse posted:

Why settle for being a Ken when you can be an Allan?

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.
Whoops wrong director.

AvesPKS fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Aug 7, 2023

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

AvesPKS posted:

https://youtu.be/7U4ZYOBzEEs

And it won't even run down your battery.
Verhoeven didn't direct Robocop 2. That was Star Wars Episode II: The Empire Strikes Back director Irvin Kershner. :goonsay:

Bonus screenwriting credit to Frank Miller too!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHST6w3A8es

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Verhoeven didn't direct Robocop 2. That was Star Wars Episode II: The Empire Strikes Back director Irvin Kershner. :goonsay:

Bonus screenwriting credit to Frank Miller too!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHST6w3A8es

Dammit. I was going to post the sunblock commercial but that's from 2 as well.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Robocop 2 was the 1st R-rated movie I saw in the theater, so it's a touchstone film for me.

I'm waiting to hear back from some friends that wanted to see Barbie today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Robocop 2 was the 1st R-rated movie I saw in the theater, so it's a touchstone film for me.

I'm waiting to hear back from some friends that wanted to see Barbie today.

It's funny you say that, Barbie is the Robocop of Barbie movies.