Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Its the last series of quests

Source: me currently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It's before 2.5 but that's all I know.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
What does 'bring macros and markers mean'?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Mr. Neutron posted:

What does 'bring macros and markers mean'?

For a Party Finder group doing high-level content, there's generally two ways people assign static positioning. Macros are ways to automatically feed the game text inputs, in this case into the chat log, where there might be, say, assignments for a certain mechanic. Bringing a macro, in this case, would be having saved into your macro list some kind of layout, be it ASCII or otherwise, helping people to know where to go. I don't do a lot of PFs lately because I have a static, but I've generally seen macros less and less frequently recently in favor of using sets of markers to assign positions before the fight starts. You'll still see parties utilizing both, though.

As for markers, those are waypoints you can place on the ground before combat to help orient the party's positioning for certain mechanics. When you're getting told to "bring markers," that means that they want someone in the party to have saved the standard waypoint layout for that fight so they can place the markers on the ground without a bunch of annoying setup or repositioning.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Also worth noting: if you're in a PF group and someone places a single marker near the party and people start getting near it, they're assigning clock spots for mechanics that will generally either do circle or conal AoEs targeted on all players at once. You need to get into one of the empty spots around the marker and claim that position. The standard setup assuming standard party layout is main tank in front, off-tank in back, healers left/right, melee southwest and southeast for positionals, and the ranged physical and caster are northwest and northeast, whichever they prefer.

You'll also see people put down two markers next to each other or even four in a line. In the former case, you need each marker to have a light party in it (1 tank, 1 healer, 2 DPS), and in the latter you need partners (so 1 DPS, 1 tank or healer in each, you can't do 2 DPS or 2 supports).

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
Typically "bring markers" just means the person setting up the PF doesn't have a set saved themselves, so they'd like someone who does to join the party to they (the party lead) can copy the layout for future use.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
EU party finder almost exclusively does positional assignments through macros. Someone is going to post a fight-specific diagram of positions like

and then people will say things like "M1", "H2", etc in party chat to claim their spot for all the shown mechanics.

NA party finder almost exclusively does position assignments by placing down a marker and people standing around it. Sometimes people will place down several markers, and people stand around them in order for different mechanics. Granted I haven't played on NA for a few years now.

I'm not sure about JP. I believe they do macros for learning parties, then have fixed strategies for clear parties? JP does clears with random queues in duty finder, it's a different place.

Note this is exclusively for Extreme, Savage and Ultimate content. No one is going to do elaborate pre-fight set up dances elsewhere.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It's always interesting to me to see gil sellers in the plazas, because gil *really* hasn't been a concern for me at all and presumably only really becomes an issue once you've got a house. During the free trial I was constantly bumping up against the 300k limit. It's not like WoW where it can take forever to get out of copper/silver and actually start making gold. (Note: I have not played WoW in a while this may have changed.)

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Maxwell Lord posted:

It's always interesting to me to see gil sellers in the plazas, because gil *really* hasn't been a concern for me at all and presumably only really becomes an issue once you've got a house. During the free trial I was constantly bumping up against the 300k limit. It's not like WoW where it can take forever to get out of copper/silver and actually start making gold. (Note: I have not played WoW in a while this may have changed.)

Yeah, I've always wondered about that myself. I assume they have to be getting business from new players? I ran into gil issues in the early game sometimes, and I could see people who are new and struggling assuming they're going to keep having problems.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I figure it's for the players who really really want the 16 million Gil minion, or the raider who *really* needs that pentamelded gear. Or players who don't play as often as everyone in the thread and is willing to play 30$ or w/e not to have to deal with selling poo poo on the MB.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
The only gil crunch I have as a fresh and relatively independent 90 is wanting to get some of the 640 crafted poo poo, but I've got the weapon and armor top, so really the bulk of my buys are done. Don't understand the rest of the market tbh

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

SE are not shy about banning gil sellers and buyers and will periodically post a report of how many accounts were hit each period. Even if gil wasn't as easy to make as it is I still wouldn't risk it.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah making money is just a matter of time, the more time you spend the more money you'll make. The trick is spending your time wisely and that depends on what approach you take.

One thing I can tell you not to do is farm crystals, that market is heavily botted and extremely cutthroat.

Kwyndig fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Aug 7, 2023

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
Generally just doing your daily roulettes and tribal quests accrues a surprising amount of gil if you keep at it. Weekly special deliveries or whatever that open up at the end of Heavensward are also a good source of both gil and scrips (and XP) for crafting/gathering.

These certainly aren't quick sources or gil, but if you keep at them you'll find they add up surprisingly quickly. I've just about bankrupted myself being lazy and buying the latest crafted gear off the market boards and quickly bounced back by just doing my dailies diligently for a while.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Xerophyte posted:

EU party finder almost exclusively does positional assignments through macros. Someone is going to post a fight-specific diagram of positions like

and then people will say things like "M1", "H2", etc in party chat to claim their spot for all the shown mechanics.

NA party finder almost exclusively does position assignments by placing down a marker and people standing around it. Sometimes people will place down several markers, and people stand around them in order for different mechanics. Granted I haven't played on NA for a few years now.

I'm not sure about JP. I believe they do macros for learning parties, then have fixed strategies for clear parties? JP does clears with random queues in duty finder, it's a different place.

Note this is exclusively for Extreme, Savage and Ultimate content. No one is going to do elaborate pre-fight set up dances elsewhere.

JP is essentially the same as EU, at least the English-speaking community on JP.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Antivehicular posted:

Yeah, I've always wondered about that myself. I assume they have to be getting business from new players? I ran into gil issues in the early game sometimes, and I could see people who are new and struggling assuming they're going to keep having problems.

From my observation it's likely people (new players mostly) who need tons of gil to buy themselves raid clears

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
I catched up with this thread and wtf, there is dedicated marriage mechanics in this game? Every day I learn something new.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its not really much of a mechanic. you can choose to marry another player in game, there's a little cutscene ceremony, and then you get rings that let you teleport to each other whenever you want.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you also get new hairstyles which is the real reason to do it

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
If you pay for the higher tiers of wedding you both also get a two-seater chocobo mount, everyone who attends the wedding gets two minions, and your wedding clothes are dyable. I've been considering it.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

You also get the /embrace emote. Very important.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

How much do the high-end wedding packages cost, anyway? It occurs to me that my spouse and I could plausibly spend more on getting MMO-married than we did on getting married in the real world.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Eternal_Bond#Plans

tl;dr, there are three packages, free, $10 (per person, so $20 actually), and $20 (actually $40)

All packages give gown or suit (each player gets to choose, and you can swap them later for no charge), a cake furniture item, the teleport ring, the Embrace emote, and a new hairstyle.

Mid package and up get dyeable versions of the clothes, a 2-seater chocobo mount, and every guest (up to 80) gets two minions.

Premium gets you slightly fancier clothes.

The more expensive your package, you get more decor/cutscene/music options for the ceremony, and there's also better scheduling options or priority or something for fancier packages; I'm not sure exactly how scheduling works.

edit: I think the wiki is wrong and Gold tier gives one minion to everyone while Premium gives 2.

edit2: Here's the official page for pricing: https://www.finalfantasyxiv.com/eternalbond/na/detail/fees.html?lng=en&rgn=na

Maximum Tomfoolery fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Aug 8, 2023

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Some more fun facts about weddings: there is no enforced dress code; while it does give you a choice of gown or tailcoat (both are equippable by either gender), you can wear whatever you want. Full plate armor? Toad suit? No problem.

There's several ceremony "types" that affect the cutscene, one is religious, one is super serious business, and a cutesy one officiated by a moogle, which is the only one with a kiss.

An Eternal Bonding ceremony is the only way to get into the Sanctum of the Twelve.

Weddings and ceremony invitations are currently locked to single worlds. You cannot marry someone or give an invitation to someone from a different world, but nothing's stopping you from hosting your own after-party someplace accessible to cross-world travellers. The devs have stated that they hope to fix this, but afaik there's no ETA for that.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Is a wedding even really real if it isn't the moogle one? No it's not

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Maximum Tomfoolery posted:

An Eternal Bonding ceremony is the only way to get into the Sanctum of the Twelve.

So far. Naming a quest "wedding crashers" or "red wedding" is too tempting a target for koji fox

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
One neat thing about the weddings, you can trade the bond rings for in-game gil so its one of the few sanctioned ways to turn real life money into gil. Don't see it very often nowadays but there was a lot of gil being traded around when it released.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

If you aren't a friend of the couple, the only reason you'd want in is to get a minion, but it's not hard to get into weddings these days. Plenty of people are happy to hand out invitations to whoever just to fill seats.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

If I wanted to do Coil of Bahamut just for the story, what would be the easiest way of doing it?

Or should I just watch the cutscenes on youtube.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Find a level 90 who's willing to undersized party with you to solo the fights in exchange for Second Chance Points and first time bonus Poetics. There's more than a few who will take you up on the offer.

That's the easy way, here are several hard ways. Build a progression party and tackle the instances as they were intended to be played as an 8 man group. Level Blue Mage and collect all the spells to cheese each boss in one shot, wait until you've reached max level and just do it yourself. These are all significantly harder ways to experience Coils story.

Kwyndig fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Aug 8, 2023

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

WaltherFeng posted:

If I wanted to do Coil of Bahamut just for the story, what would be the easiest way of doing it?

Or should I just watch the cutscenes on youtube.

The simplest way is to throw up a PF and mention you're a sprout and want to watch the cutscenes. It won't take long for you to get a few capped folks who want an easy roughly 1.3k poetics (at most, it's 100 per turn) and some second chance points for dragging a new person through Coils and a bit of cutscene time.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

The scenery and music are also a big part of it, watch a full run from someone that isn't speedrunning if you don't want to do the fights yourself. You can also grab an unsync group and tell them you want to go a little slower, or unsync most of them solo if you have a 90

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I'm not in particular rush to do them since I'm only 54 (Though my ilevel is currently 130), If I want a change of pace from MSQ, I'll try finding a party for it. Thanks!

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute
Another fun benefit that I realized when I ran an alt of mine through Coils not long ago is that with the dungeon drop updates, all of the Coils drop gear coffers now. If your level 90 friends running you through let you have 'em, you'll also finish your run with a full set of some sweet gear for glamours!

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

FeatherFloat posted:

Another fun benefit that I realized when I ran an alt of mine through Coils not long ago is that with the dungeon drop updates, all of the Coils drop gear coffers now. If your level 90 friends running you through let you have 'em, you'll also finish your run with a full set of some sweet gear for glamours!

The final four Turns also drop IL130-135 gear, which is just as good as/better than Ironworks. These days you can nuke the last two bosses down in like 5 seconds with a 90 friend, so it might be worth clearing them just for essentially free tomestone gear on-tap. Plus they look sick as gently caress :krad:

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Hyper Inferno posted:

One neat thing about the weddings, you can trade the bond rings for in-game gil so its one of the few sanctioned ways to turn real life money into gil. Don't see it very often nowadays but there was a lot of gil being traded around when it released.

I don't think you can any more?

How much gil did you get? Normal vendor prices make it sound like it would be an extremely not worth it method of getting gil (also you get a ring even on the free tier so I don't know why you'd pay real money if you were doing this a gil-making scheme)

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

WaltherFeng posted:

I'm not in particular rush to do them since I'm only 54 (Though my ilevel is currently 130), If I want a change of pace from MSQ, I'll try finding a party for it. Thanks!

There's no rush right now, but if you're going to do them at all you should try to get them done before you get into the Heavensward patches (3.x) MSQ.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

^^^: Seconded

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

These days you can nuke the last two bosses down in like 5 seconds with a 90 friend

If you care about the story at all, don't do it like this. Let the phases play out, ESPECIALLY on those two

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

Qwertycoatl posted:

I don't think you can any more?

How much gil did you get? Normal vendor prices make it sound like it would be an extremely not worth it method of getting gil (also you get a ring even on the free tier so I don't know why you'd pay real money if you were doing this a gil-making scheme)

I meant trading the higher tier bands to other players for gil, not through like an in-game vendor or something. I didn't buy the ring with money, I was the one buying it with gil. I think it cost me like 20 million gil for the platinum ring?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Sentient Data posted:

^^^: Seconded

If you care about the story at all, don't do it like this. Let the phases play out, ESPECIALLY on those two

I avoid skipping the final fight's adds phase on purpose every time I run it for catbook. Second Coil last boss is another really thematic one but that one hurts like crazy if you try and sandbag it.

I did Coils solo as a personal "what level do I need to be for this" challenge (aside from a couple of fights that are really hard to solo at anything less than "nuke it immediately" levels due to particular mechanics) because of a personality mismatch with the first friends I tried to run it with. I wanted to explore and experience the level, they skipped all cutscenes and kept clearing so I got to watch 3 or 4 cutscenes back to back and then run through an empty stage, then they'd queue the next while I was still in a loading screen from leaving. Ugh. As soon as we'd finished first coil I said "that's enough for now, I have intermediate quests to do" and in my later forays found help who wouldn't talk over me when something was allegedly being done for my sake.

I love (some of) those guys, but they're all-in on filling in gaps with their own guesses and enthusuiasm. "I haven't done that yet" in incidental conversation gets heard as "I want to do that right now, this is my way of asking, start grabbing people".