Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favourite Kirby Super Star power?
This poll is closed.
Beam 3 1.79%
Bomb 3 1.79%
Cook 1 0.60%
Copy 3 1.79%
Crash 1 0.60%
Cutter 5 2.98%
Fighter 5 2.98%
Fire 3 1.79%
Hammer 13 7.74%
Ice 3 1.79%
Jet 3 1.79%
Mike (sic) 14 8.33%
Mirror 11 6.55%
Ninja 5 2.98%
Paint 0 0%
Parasol 2 1.19%
Plasma 4 2.38%
Sleep 9 5.36%
Starship 5 2.98%
Stone 6 3.57%
Suplex 22 13.10%
Sword 20 11.90%
Wheel 6 3.57%
Wing 6 3.57%
Yo-Yo 15 8.93%
Total: 168 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I think all the horny marketing stuff and being able to get twitch drop underwear and stuff is cringe as hell and if it was a Japanese game the same outlets would be fainting about how it's a game for perverts. Game is fun otherwise though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
my exposure to all the marketing and coverage might have not been comprehensive

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Make no mistake, Baldur’s Gate 3 IS a game for perverts. There is no “otherwise” here.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The first thing that happens upon entering Athkatla in BG2 is Irenicus exploding like six people into chunks of body parts

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

You gonna take me for a ride?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
the opening dungeon of BG2 has some twisted poo poo in it. talking to the guy in the jar unnerved the hell out of me when I was a kid. I get that its different at this level of graphix fidelity but I think tonally they aren't that far off the mark with BG3

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Also probably my fault for picking the “dark urge” origin

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Jay Rust posted:

Also probably my fault for picking the “dark urge” origin

Why would you choose the explicit genocide option if you wanted to avoid violence.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

It is exactly divinity original sin 3

I'm sorry in advance for what i'm about to say, but I did not like the Original Sin games, and so i'm surprised I love BG3 so much.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jesus christ though, less than a month to go until Starfield.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Why would you choose the explicit genocide option if you wanted to avoid violence.

Presumably the other origins also get to interact with the exposed brain and are given the option to stick their hand in there to crush it

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Presumably the other origins also get to interact with the exposed brain and are given the option to stick their hand in there to crush it

In a game like that, this seems like something you'd want to be sure about before saying

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

You can choose not to though...It's also a weird mindflayer monster thing, not like you're hurting some innocent guy.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
I think it's pretty natural for someone who loved BG1 and BG2 to want to play Dark Urge.

Tonally I think it's pretty consistent with the first two games. It's maybe a little bit more serious than the first two were? We don't have a companion who goes ch-ch-ch-chia or a turnip obsessed gnome companion or a necromancer who does nothing but quote oppenheimer and hannibal, but my wife and I are still finishing up act 1 so we haven't met everyone yet.

I disagree with it being grimdark edgy though. A lot of the stuff (like the squirrel thing) is stuff you have to opt into to see, but you can play the game as a good guy and not kick the squirrel to death too.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I said come in! posted:

I'm sorry in advance for what i'm about to say, but I did not like the Original Sin games, and so I'm surprised I love BG3 so much.

BG3 feels more different from the Divinity games than I thought it would. Just a little bit more grounded I guess, but the setting makes a big difference for me at least.

Really enjoying it so far, but there's still those moments where you're looking at 50 goblins and spiders on the other side of the map walking wherever while you impatiently wait your turn to do something.

Another thought I have about the game, is that there is too much voice acting. I really don't need the narrator to have a voice line for every time I turn a telescope, there doesn't need to be a little cutscene for every minor npc telling you they got nothing to say. It just seems excessive. No wonder this game took like 10 years to make.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Yeah everybody gets the option to go dig around in there if they want, even Lazael

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I mean, the plot of the original BG was "your biological Dad was the literal god of murder and he wants you and your estranged siblings to duke it out Highlander-Style so he can posses the survivor as his new host body". Sure there was some goofy poo poo mixed in along the way but it also wasn't afraid to deal with some lurid poo poo.

MarsPearl
Feb 19, 2021

Gripweed posted:

Man what part of our technological future makes you expect such quality from robot soldiers? There was a stretch of like six months where they were putting Teslas together wrong so if you drove when it was raining water would get in the bumper and eventually it would get so heavy it would just fall off on the road.

The robot soldiers will work great until they encounter any kind of terrain different from what was at the testing site in California. They won't work at all until they connect to wi-fi to download the latest update. Their sensors will be calibrated wrong so they literally won't be able to see black people so any black person con just walk right up to it and put a bag over it's head and it'll just shut down.

A brief list of the ways a few marines managed to effortlessly beat a combat AI.

quote:

"Eight marines: not a single one got detected," Phil said. They defeated the AI system not with traditional camouflage but with clever tricks that were outside of the AI system's testing regime. "Two somersaulted for 300 meters; never got detected. Two hid under a cardboard box. You could hear them giggling the whole time." Like Bugs Bunny in a Looney Tunes cartoon, sneaking up on Elmer Fudd in a cardboard box. "One guy, my favourite," Phil said, "he field-stripped a fir tree and walked like a fir tree. You can see his smile, and that's about all you see." The AI system had been trained to detect humans walking, not humans somersaulting, hiding in a cardboard box, or disguised as a tree."

https://www.pcgamer.com/marines-use-metal-gear-cardboard-box-trick-to-fool-ai-robot/

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

MarsPearl posted:

A brief list of the ways a few marines managed to effortlessly beat a combat AI.

https://www.pcgamer.com/marines-use-metal-gear-cardboard-box-trick-to-fool-ai-robot/

If people were trying to argue that this would make for a bad premise for a videogame about a robot war, I can only imagine they do not post with joy in their hearts.

And also that I lost track of what the argument was about an hour ago

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

PS5 has no games I think

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
No games!
We might see some octopuses
No games!
Or a half a dozen clams
No games!
We might even see a moimaid
But moimaids got no gams!!!!! (nooooo gaaaaaaaams)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Jay Rust posted:

tonally bg3 feels “this isn’t your DADDY’s gate” a lil too much, it’s the most gruesome d&d-adjacent thing I’ve ever experienced by a factor of twenty, and it’s just not… fun. I really was wanting something like the recent d&d movie.

The solution to all this is of course to pretend that it really is just dos3 and adjust my expectations accordingly. Tonight I’m gonna start a new game with my dos2 co-op partner who knows nothing about d&d and I’m betting we’re gonna have an awesome time

all the companions do seem like real shitters lol

Jay Rust posted:

This is from the first dialogue conversation in the game

on the other hand mind flayers and their minions are explicitly evil genociders so you really should kill them all given the opportunity?>

Like, these dudes put a parasite in you that will eat your brain and make your body their host, i feel like killing them is justified????

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Aug 6, 2023

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

all the companions do seem like real shitters lol

IMO there's two that are absolute shitters (lae'zel, astarion), two that are teetering on the precipice (Gale, Shadowheart), and two that are genuinely good people (Wyll, Karlach).

ofc I say this but of all of them I hang out with lae'zel because i'm compelled by her character arc (that and battlemaster fighter is a pretty nice complement to my four elements monk). My wife is rolling with her dark urge moon druid + shadowheart (who she respecced into a lore bard)

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

on the other hand mind flayers and their minions are explicitly evil genociders so you really should kill them all given the opportunity?>

Like, these dudes put a parasite in you that will eat your brain and make your body their host, i feel like killing them is justified????

On the other other hand the intellect devourer is a little baby who will protect you through the tutorial.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I get why Gith are the way they are. And honestly if I could ride dragons and had spaceships and lived in space and traveled all the other planes. Of course they act like they're better than random materialplanelubbers.

The parts that I don't vibe with are the monarchy, casual violence, and general focus on killing. If they walked it back on that stuff they'd have a much better reputation.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It's not that big of a deal pretty sure Activia sells nootropic parasite yoghurt at the megalo mart

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
my D&D knowledge isn’t that thorough but I don’t think I’ve ever read a prominent example of a friendly illithid

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
His name was Bifflithid and all the other mindflayer were so mean to him because he kept accidentally improving his victims lives instead of infecting them with heartworms

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

And here i thought d&d was moving away from "inherently evil races"!!

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
maybe they source their human brains from organic farms with no pesticides, ever think about that huh??

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

they're just trying to live their lives, who are you to say that's bad, maybe you're the bad one?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

And here i thought d&d was moving away from "inherently evil races"!!

How can D&D move away from murderhobos???

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Two hours left in this weeks Duolinguo, and I'm in first place by 300 points.

Still plenty of time for Mary or Emily to try to come at me, but I have four hearts left so I'm in a good position to fight off any contenders.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

my D&D knowledge isn’t that thorough but I don’t think I’ve ever read a prominent example of a friendly illithid
there have been a couple in modules over the years. they usually eat like cat brains instead or something. theres also settings like spelljammer, where they have an embassy in the big port of call and people tolerate them as long as they go somewhere else to get their brains (but in reality they just hire slavers to bring people to them, and eat a lot of street urchins)

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the city in spelljammer also has a friendly beholder that runs a tavern, and only shoots people with his eyebeams to break up bar fights

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Volte posted:

What part of our technological present makes you think that Elon Musk is going to be at the forefront of it

There is no competent person to build the killbots. It's wall to wall idiots and grifters

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I think all the horny marketing stuff and being able to get twitch drop underwear and stuff is cringe as hell and if it was a Japanese game the same outlets would be fainting about how it's a game for perverts. Game is fun otherwise though.

I'm probably gonna do expressly one romance option or whatever and then turn off nudity forever because it's almost assuredly mind bendingly awful.
I did have fun dressing up my make a ken doll though.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Oxxidation posted:

Critical Role had an illithid who had been cut off from the hive mind for some crime or another and when the party managed to get it returned, it immediately turned on them lmao.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
Baldur's Gate 3 is about as horny and gruesome as naddpod, my favorite DnD podcast, so it feels very authentic to DnD to me. I'm also liking it a lot more than DOS2

But drat this game is great. The amount and variety of magic items they're dropping on me just in act 1 is making all the neurons in my brain light up

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
lol this rules, just costumes but still cool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbOnC5DJx2c&hd=1

e: and this loving song is a bop
https://twitter.com/EVO/status/1688375582000844800

it's got Let's Go Justin, it's got Raul Julia, it's got Guile's Theme, it's got everything

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Aug 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Emily beat me by ten EXP. She must've timed completing a lesson so it would happen just 30 seconds before the end of the week, so I wouldn't have time to do a lesson to get ahead. I think I'm going to walk into traffic.