Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Generic and boring is about the worst that RPG art can be, whether traced, AI generated or just lazy and unoriginal. Surely it can't be that hard to get some halfway competent artists nowadays, the whole cottage industry has never been more thriving, and they're probably cheaper than Pinkertons.

Ignoring the more recent issue of AI art, I think a big part of the problem is the concept of visual brand identity and the way it plays out in a big company like WotC. There's an official house art style they hold to, and the style they picked is super bland action realism--a safe style that makes it pretty easy to swap out artists interchangeably but that makes my eyes absolutely glaze over.

I think it's possible to have a decent brand art style with a big property--Warcraft looks pretty charming and stays distinctive. D&D is bound to a boring horse, though.

Strong agree on it being more important for RPG art to be evocative than technically competent, too. I love all the old OD&D scribbles, and I more or less started on 3e.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I have seen my 'artwork'; I'm actually overvaluing it.

As someone who "can't draw" to another, it is because you haven't found a technique or teacher or medium or method or style that will resonate with your brain to produce what you want. What I mean is that I genuinely believe that, under the right circumstances, anyone can create appealing vidual art and that giving up too early and/or not finding right medium/method/etc is the actual biggest hurdle in learning how to create art.

I think that you have a pessimistic view of your own potential and I hope that one day your skills improve so you can be satisfied with the quality of the art you produce.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Hey, maybe some people aren't good at art and it's okay rather than being a personal failing.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

WotC's current house style is bad for both Magic and D&D. Usually artists who break the house style are either good or at least distinctive while being bad. This art is bad by looking like the most generic stable diffusion are possible.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Even the Pokemon card game has lots of fun with the art because that's what gets people excited to buy the latest picture of Pikachu but this time he's in a really badass pose or doing the electric slide or has a really silly hat.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Roadie posted:

I see basically this same explanation every time poo poo like this happens and I still find it bizarre that apparently nobody in the industry, including Wizards, which has a gigantic pipeline for art for Magic cards, has bothered to do anything to fix the processes that lead to it.

The entire thing might be different depending on the company, for example, apparently THIS art has been sitting somewhere for a year and WotC never noticed it was dogshit, which is actually fairly impressive. I honestly am kind of surprised at how WotC can consistently demonstrate practices that completely work opposite of what a functional company of it's size should be doing.

However, for the specific example I gave from Paizo, what you need to remember is that these are for products that were being produced on a monthly subscription schedule with set dates for getting things to the printer so that products could be shipped on time. Just from a purely functional standpoint, copy will tend to be written faster than art. But also, copy can be turned in as rough drafts and then edited and sent back for revision during a development period, where art will tend to be maybe a rough sketch but not much other warnings that things are going wrong. One of the issues they would run into would be an artist that was radio silent for the whole period and then would send them beautiful art on the day it was due, so basically they'd get all the anxiety of someone who might be flaking only for everything turning out okay. The solution was basically to only work with artists they found dependable and to rarely risk trying new artists because they didn't want to get burned.

For the example from the Werewolf: The Apocalypse 5e book, it was just pure utter betrayal by the artist. None of the art "looked" bad, but it was unsolicited and unattributed photographs of real people, and it took the artist copying a really distinctive set of people for fans to realize that ALL of the art might be more of the same, and by the time that happened Gen Con was 1.5 months away and there was no chance to fix the problem. You basically had all the eyes of the fanbase looking at those pictures and not immediately seeing the problem, so even a really on the ball art editor probably was going to miss it.

EDIT: TL;DR Most companies have to meet publication schedules, so they can't sit around looking at every picture and since pictures come in last they will just miss poo poo.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Anonymous Zebra posted:

However, for the specific example I gave from Paizo, what you need to remember is that these are for products that were being produced on a monthly subscription schedule with set dates for getting things to the printer so that products could be shipped on time.

Something else to note here is that in addition to any self-set publication and shipping date, a lot of the printers that TRPG publishers use have big queues of companies lining up to have books published, and so you when you make arrangements with them they give you a block of time during which they'll be able to work on your stuff, and if you have to cancel for whatever reason they can't just hold your reservation open indefinitely. So there are multiple levels of time pressure at work for physical printed books.

My admittedly extremely limited experience in the field of "writing some RPG stuff and handling art direction responsibilities for it" has been that:

1). Art definitely does seem to be the stuff that winds up arriving last.
2). The way for this to not matter seems to be to only publish digitally and/or have a release date of "when it's done."

If the stuff I worked on had hard set street dates then I can imagine it would be a lot more stressful wondering if X or Y art piece would be done by then and if it would need revisions if so. I've been fortunate that my own experiences have been much more relaxed and I've been able to go over the art with the artists throughout the process in a more leisurely fashion.

That said, WotC is also a significantly bigger and wealthier company with an actual art department and stuff, so while there are absolutely factors to consider with the process of making an RPG for publication, "we sat on this dogshit piece of art for a year and nobody said anything" feels like more a product of poor management practices than some last-minute nailbiter they had to pull the trigger on.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Thanlis posted:

That’s awful. I think the core problem is using “infestation” to refer to sentient beings; that’s a classic nativist trope.

From their perspective, if they used "colonization" or "settlement" it would confuse the base.

Also "ethically solving" an "infestation" of sentient beings is some seriously chilling verbage. Like, does history contain a single instance of one people ethically displacing another?

E: "Chill out, we're just ethically cleansing "

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Nuns with Guns posted:

Speaking of racisms, there's also some bizarre phrasing in the preview text for the giant book too:

Like how the heck do you "solve your frost giant infestation in an ethical way"? Maybe they were trying to use an alternate word to avoid saying "honorable" twice but "ethically" really doesn't sub out properly for "honorably" in this context.

Yeah, I *get* what they're trying to say, but that is some awful word choice. The worst thing is that you can completely cut the sentence, and nothing is lost from the paragraph. It reads as someone who was trying to be clever and witty but needed one editing pass for someone to go, "What the gently caress, dude? We're cutting that."

So, you know, it all boils down to terrible quality control. Again.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Speaking of racisms, there's also some bizarre phrasing in the preview text for the giant book too:

Like how the heck do you "solve your frost giant infestation in an ethical way"? Maybe they were trying to use an alternate word to avoid saying "honorable" twice but "ethically" really doesn't sub out properly for "honorably" in this context.

even without the weird fantasy racism angle the authorial voice here is poo poo. "looking for that sweet, sweet vengeance" sounds like a reddit post about D&D circa 2008

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Ernest Cline presents: The Monster Manual

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

It's never really made sense to me why always evil sapient creatures are so pervasive in RPGs. Humans do terrible poo poo all the time, why not just like, have the goblins hire you to hunt down goblins doing terrible poo poo? kidnapping people or whatever. Like a fantasy A Team

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Improbable Lobster posted:

As someone who "can't draw" to another, it is because you haven't found a technique or teacher or medium or method or style that will resonate with your brain to produce what you want. What I mean is that I genuinely believe that, under the right circumstances, anyone can create appealing vidual art and that giving up too early and/or not finding right medium/method/etc is the actual biggest hurdle in learning how to create art.

I think that you have a pessimistic view of your own potential and I hope that one day your skills improve so you can be satisfied with the quality of the art you produce.

I am 60 years old. I know I can not draw because I have spent fifty of those years trying to, using all different styles. I can use Photoshop like a digital Man Ray and I can craft AI prompts that produce what I want, so I will use digital collage as a technique.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Well, here's your problem. You've got frost giants.
Now you're gonna want me to fix this 'ethically', if you know what I mean.
Sure, it'll cost you a little extra, but you don't want to see what happens if we do it the other way.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Lamuella posted:

Hey, maybe some people aren't good at art and it's okay rather than being a personal failing.

It absolutely is not a personal failing and I apologize if I came off as saying that it is. I was trying to communicate that I believe it is a goal that anyone can reach, rather than something that some people can or can't do, inherently.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Generic and boring is about the worst that RPG art can be, whether traced, AI generated or just lazy and unoriginal. Surely it can't be that hard to get some halfway competent artists nowadays, the whole cottage industry has never been more thriving, and they're probably cheaper than Pinkertons.

Yeah, that better captures my problem with more recent D&D art. It's just boring! It doesn't make me care enough to look into any of its specifics to find particular flaws.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

DalaranJ posted:

Well, here's your problem. You've got frost giants.
Now you're gonna want me to fix this 'ethically', if you know what I mean.
Sure, it'll cost you a little extra, but you don't want to see what happens if we do it the other way.

Can't you just capture them under a really big glass and release them at a nice Glacier upstate?

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Yeah, that better captures my problem with more recent D&D art. It's just boring! It doesn't make me care enough to look into any of its specifics to find particular flaws.

There is an unfathomably large audience for just the most generic fantasy possible. 800 page doorstops whose only appeal is an exhaustively thought out magic system.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Lumbermouth posted:

800 page doorstops whose only appeal is an exhaustively thought out magic system.
..that still doesn't work.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

FMguru posted:

..that still doesn't work.

I figured it was a dig at Sanderson, who makes it work as well as it needs to.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

If people wanted a good working magic system, Ara Magica would have replaced D&D by now.

The shameful state of the industry sickens me.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
I'll make the obligatory post that everyone hates, but which I will make anyway because it's an echo chamber otherwise:

Frost Giants are axiomatically evil monsters defined by how much they love to enslave and murder everyone weaker and smaller than they are, and who "respect only brute strength." If they were human, they'd be just about the worst humans you can think of, and you would cheer on whoever was making them go the gently caress home. Fortunately, they're literally not human, and it is okay to have stories wherein you kill them just because saw someone them coming over the hill - because when frost giants come over the hill, they're here to burn your village and kill everyone who raises a hand to them and make everyone else chattel. The only way it should get weird is if you do the stupid "Oh no, here's frost giant baaaabiiiiiies, what nooooow paladin???" gotcha trick. There are other games, games which are not heroic adventure stories, where the genre and the setting change these things enough that you might want to not immediately kill something who lusts for slavin' and raidin' 24/7, but D&D is not that game unless you hack it.

But we've had this argument a thousand times before (except it's normally about orcs or drow) and everything that everyone is going to say from here on out is pretty much scripted, so let's just get it over with.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Kestral posted:

I'll make the obligatory post that everyone hates, but which I will make anyway because it's an echo chamber otherwise:

But we've had this argument a thousand times before (except it's normally about orcs or drow) and everything that everyone is going to say from here on out is pretty much scripted, so let's just get it over with.

If posting in this thread is such a burden for you, you always have the option of not posting.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Did you know it’s an option to not decide to explicitly start a fight by declaring actually axiomatically evil races and extermination of them are good and a staple of heroic adventure that should go unquestioned, especially since you’re, again, explicitly trying to start an argument you are saying you don’t even care about because something something echo chambers

Like, you can just not do that

It’s free

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I have written plenty of 'heroic adventure stories' where the antagonists are not axiomatically evil. You can just do that. It's not hard.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kestral posted:

Frost Giants are axiomatically evil monsters defined by how much they love to enslave and murder everyone weaker and smaller than they are, and who "respect only brute strength." If they were human, they'd be just about the worst humans you can think of, and you would cheer on whoever was making them go the gently caress home. Fortunately, they're literally not human, and it is okay to have stories wherein you kill them just because saw someone them coming over the hill - because when frost giants come over the hill, they're here to burn your village and kill everyone who raises a hand to them and make everyone else chattel. The only way it should get weird is if you do the stupid "Oh no, here's frost giant baaaabiiiiiies, what nooooow paladin???" gotcha trick. There are other games, games which are not heroic adventure stories, where the genre and the setting change these things enough that you might want to not immediately kill something who lusts for slavin' and raidin' 24/7, but D&D is not that game unless you hack it.

were you mad that the "discussion" in here about ai art didn't turn out the way you liked or something so you decided to poo poo up the thread instead?

anyway this is pretty disingenous, since the bigby's book and storm king's thunder before it were all about fleshing out giants and their culture (based on work from a 2e FR book, giantcraft). even the frostmourne monster in question is "this comes back to haunt you if you don't kill it honourably according to giant tradition" so there's a specific moral code for frost giants being described in the game system and the players are directly urged to interact with it.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Infestation is just a weird word to use for a creature bigger than a human. A whole lot of bears wouldn't be an infestation.

Kestral posted:

Seems weird to pattern a monster explicitly from Norse mythology more genocidally than Norse mythology did. Yeah it's fine to have giants show up bellow a challenge and just run straight into battle, but sometimes you gotta do a wacky wedding infiltration and sometimes you're haggling over contract pay. No need to go on go on an explanation about this is intrinsic to their species if you guy have the frost giants in question do something bad that requires a walloping in the adventure brief.

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020

Kestral posted:

Fortunately, they're literally not human, and it is okay to have stories wherein you kill them just because saw someone them coming over the hill - because when frost giants come over the hill, they're here to burn your village and kill everyone who raises a hand to them and make everyone else chattel.

Sounds like video games might be more your speed.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Terrible Opinions posted:

Infestation is just a weird word to use for a creature bigger than a human. A whole lot of bears wouldn't be an infestation.

Grafton, NH would disagree.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Lumbermouth posted:

They would but not for the reasons you're positing. Black bears are native to New Hampshire, they're part of the biosphere and ecosystem and, let's be real: a lot of thoughts behind what constitutes an "infestation" is due to the simple fact that as humans we tend to annex land and make it suit us, and then we get territorial and pissy when there's existential friction between nature that had always been there re-asserting itself and our own desires for control of territory. So yes they would disagree, it would be more of a territorial dispute/incursion than an infestation. The bears have always been there living their lives.

Libertarians on the other hand...

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Night10194 posted:

I have written plenty of 'heroic adventure stories' where the antagonists are not axiomatically evil. You can just do that. It's not hard.

Or make them some pathological offshoot like neonazis or something, not a whole culture of of evil.

Also, your reminder that WOTC exists for MTG and licensing IPs, competency in their D&D division is not essential to their task. This is another symptom of that.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Lumbermouth posted:

As someone who lives near Grafton, we like our bear friends, actually.

Hostile V posted:

Libertarians on the other hand...

This, though... yeah.

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Aug 7, 2023

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I love a good Thermian argument

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well that’s some staff writer for beyond, the actual entry in the book does not mention ethics or anything like infestation.

One of the main things of the book is to try and present Giants more as people.

I was playing BG3 last night and forgot to look back at this thread until it seemed like things were moving on, but since it's come up again I appreciate the context about this just being a website blurb that is stupid. It's still dumb and it sounds like it's undermining the whole point of the book a bit, but it's amusing to see what's not getting much scrutiny.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Tarnop posted:

I love a good Thermian argument
I'm just jazzed about being reminded of Galaxy Quest, man.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Name Change posted:

The AI barbarian posted in this thread looks like three different figures glued together, and not seamlessly.

OtspIII posted:

Ignoring the more recent issue of AI art, I think a big part of the problem is the concept of visual brand identity and the way it plays out in a big company like WotC. There's an official house art style they hold to, and the style they picked is super bland action realism--a safe style that makes it pretty easy to swap out artists interchangeably but that makes my eyes absolutely glaze over.
I don't know what stable diffusion means and I'm not going to learn, but these are the problems I generally have with AI fantasy art. It seems to default to a Generic Fantasy style that's a mix of the WotC house style and the GW house style.

The characters themselves tend to look like screenshots from Skyrim, in the specific technical sense of being made up of pieces that don't fit together perfectly. In particular, I remember a picture of a tiefling magician whose glowing eyes were burning through the fabric of his hood. Many artists struggle with hands and feet, but that sticks with me because it's the kind of mistake a real artist would almost certainly never make.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Stable diffusion is just the particular AI used to make the pictures. Each of the commercial AIs have stylistic tells because of their individual stolen source libraries and methods of collaging those pictures together into a final product.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Averting my eyes from your reply because, as I said, I won't be learning that.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i know "early MTG cards with more distinct and less constrained artstyles are cooler" is like the most basic-rear end possible opinion but it's also kind of true

for all the people who hate the crossover stuff for WOTC/MTG it'd be so much cooler if like, the upcoming Fallout cards were done in a variety of artstyles instead of what it'll probably look like, which is "video game concept art"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

They do have a variety of art styles, just only in the secret lairs and weird promos you have to pay more for. WotC knows their current house style is bad, it's on purpose so they can charge you more for better art.