Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Would have been hilarious to have a moment where he's possessed and the spirit's just like "Why do you hang out with this kid? He's a total rear end in a top hat and that's coming from US. He's a toxic friend and you should find better company. I know usually our schtick is to be mean, but I'm in the mood to give some genuine advice..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Really looking forward to seeing Talk To Me. Part of the reason I loved The Loved Ones so much was because of how down-to-earth, real, and recognizable the setting felt. Like, something about the outfits and the way everyone talked to each other when in the high school just hit close to home and felt like a real time capsule of my actual high school experience, which is funny because I did not in the slightest go to an Australian high school.

I can't think of an Australian horror movie I've seen that I've disliked. I think I'm just on that wavelength. Excited.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Another thing I really loved about Talk To Me: Nobody was stupid just for the sake of moving the plot along. Sure, they make bad decisions, but in the context, they all seem reasonable. Like letting Riley use the hand, it's already established as long as they follow the rules, using it is harmless, since they've all done it multiple times by that point. Or how the mother accuses Mia of giving him drugs, then once they test him and find out he's clean, she apologizes and lets Mia be alone with him. It takes a lot of good writing to create a compelling horror plot like that that doesn't involve someone momentarily lapsing into being stupid just to justify keeping the story going.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Another thing I really loved about Talk To Me: Nobody was stupid just for the sake of moving the plot along. Sure, they make bad decisions, but in the context, they all seem reasonable. Like letting Riley use the hand, it's already established as long as they follow the rules, using it is harmless, since they've all done it multiple times by that point. Or how the mother accuses Mia of giving him drugs, then once they test him and find out he's clean, she apologizes and lets Mia be alone with him. It takes a lot of good writing to create a compelling horror plot like that that doesn't involve someone momentarily lapsing into being stupid just to justify keeping the story going.

Even the dead themselves are smart about being evil. They start playful when they physically can't do any harm and only ramp up when the living get careless enough to give them that inch.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

While I found Talk to Me average and predictable, I really liked that no one was stupid for the sake of plot. Even with Riley wanting to use the hand, the teens originally refused him until Mia talked them into it, then botched it with breaking the rules, it was all exactly normal for teens who do feel on some level they're indestructible.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
The Toxic Avenger is a perfect Sunday Morning movie.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Hollismason posted:

The Toxic Avenger is a perfect Sunday Morning movie.

Yes, yes it is.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
I've been glossing over discussion about Talk to Me since I may want to see it. I'm off this week and may have a few opportunities to go the theater, yay or nay on catching it on the big screen if I have a chance?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Crescent Wrench posted:

I've been glossing over discussion about Talk to Me since I may want to see it. I'm off this week and may have a few opportunities to go the theater, yay or nay on catching it on the big screen if I have a chance?

It's got some fun camera work and is overall quite well shot but it's up to you if that's enough. Also seeing horror movies with people can enhance the atmosphere.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Eh. Its bad but its not good bad.

You’re right, it’s good good

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Talk To Me was very obviously conceived as a found footage movie.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Brooklyn 45 is a pretty decent enough bottle horror movie. I think I'mma watch this movie The Ranger next.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Saw Oppenheimer yesterday and thought to myself, what if this was just played straight as a horror movie. The scenes where Oppenhimer thinks of the people who get nuked is pretty chilling.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Talk To Me was very obviously conceived as a found footage movie.

it felt to me like it changed its mind about what kind of movie it wanted to be every 15 minutes

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

The Ranger isn't particularly good.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I quite liked The Ranger. Silly premise but the guy playing the ranger absolutely sold it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I quite liked The Ranger. Silly premise but the guy playing the ranger absolutely sold it.

He's good . I mean it doesn't take to many swings though. Also people just getting shot is kind of boring.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Mooseontheloose posted:

Saw Oppenheimer yesterday and thought to myself, what if this was just played straight as a horror movie. The scenes where Oppenhimer thinks of the people who get nuked is pretty chilling.

:agreed:, that gym scene is legit the scariest thing I've seen all year

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

it felt to me like it changed its mind about what kind of movie it wanted to be every 15 minutes

I don't know if this is what you mean, and if it didn't work for you it didn't work for you, but I have this pet peeve around the general criticism of 'tonal inconsistency' for movies where audiences are often really willing to accept jarring shifts in tone in foreign-language films (i.e. it's always considered a good thing for Korean films and the work of Bong Joon-ho) but it's a criticism whenever it's applied to English language cinema. Of course, the balance of this is always ymmv

I went into Talk to Me knowing very little (Australian horror movie getting a lot of hype and people muttering Hereditary in the same sentence, seen the poster, a cast list and a single screenshot of the lead with black eyes and knew a tiny bit about the directors, young Greek-Aussie twins with a YouTube background) and that was it - didn't actually know the premise or had seen a trailer, and it was extremely effective with that limited knowledge.

One thing I liked about the movie was that it wasn't ever willing to commit to the rhythms we might expect - i.e. the entire supporting cast in particular reckless teens could have more easily been fodder to be picked off. The fact that the total amount of violence in the movie was somewhat restrained, but extremely impactful when it happened, made it much more tense and horrific

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Tonal shifts are my favorite thing unless it’s it turns into a real dour slog.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Dragged my rear end out of the house to see Talk To Me so I could read the thread. Not incredible, but I thought it was pretty solid. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better ten horror minutes than the party/teen possession of the boy scene, which escalated perfectly and ended horrifically. One thing that really struck me on this one was the sound design; the loud hits were LOUD, the party music was overwhelming, and the mix made it seem like certain sounds were coming from inside the theater. Pretty rad.

Also, lol for the most memorable recent on-screen toe sucking

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

What’s a better ridiculous shark movie, The Meg or Deep Blue Sea?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Deep Blue Sea is rated R and incredibly gorey. Meg has some gore but not much. Also Deep Blue Sea is just the better film because the actors are really loving good.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Also, one of these involves "deepest bluest my hat is like a shark's fin", and it doesn't go "deepest bluest Jason Statham's bald head is like a shark's fin".

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Zwabu posted:

What’s a better ridiculous shark movie, The Meg or Deep Blue Sea?

Deep Blue Sea just for Samuel L Jackson's part

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Watching The Monster Club and there's one specific scene in it that is worth watching the show for a woman strips then they turn it into a animated black silohouette and then she takes off her skin and dances as a skeleton pretty good for just that scene otherwise its decent to watch for Vincent Price.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Monsters rule, okay!

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

*slurp slurp*

I'm just
a sucker
for
YOUR LOVE!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Monster club is a particularly weird disposable late 70s Price vehicle. Like, just particularly bizarre.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Monsters rule, okay!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkPqiVODzj0

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Monster Club is cute and warm, not particularly great but Vincent Price is having a wonderful time. And speaking of Vincent Prince having a wonderful time, I watched The Raven for the first time a few days ago and I am DEEPLY tickled by how, five films into his Poe series, Corman abandons the classy, beautiful gothic style of the incredible Masque of the Red Death after the first seven minutes and makes a goofy weird horror comedy featuring Price, Peter Lorre, and Boris Karloff all hamming it up with a young Jack Nicholson. That wizard battle at the end :allears: What a treat. Everyone was having so much fun. It's so cool, too, how tonally similar it feels to Young Frankenstein that would come later, at least in terms of the silly charm. Just a great fun time with some legendary actors.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I posted the video because I love the music, it's the best part of the movie

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

It really is. I catch myself humming it to myself every so often apropos of nothing.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yeah it turns into the Flatliners remake about halfway thru.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
One thing that elevated it above that for me was that they never had "that scene" where they start going to a library looking through microfiche caches or Googling etc for the lore of how to defeat the big bad, which is often the worst part of these films. It was clear that there was SOME lore and logic to how the supernatural worked, but the kids didn't have a rich understanding of it and were in over their heads with a loose understanding that they kinda had. Yes, the scene where they talk to the guy's brother is the closest version of having that, but it was just "well, my experience was it was like this way, I guess, anyway gently caress off" was more interesting than the Scooby Gang perfectly piecing it together

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I'm glad From Beyond is on Shudder. I never saw it but have wanted to ever since I was a kid. The VHS box for it always caught my eye at the small video store but my parents would never let me rent it.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I love people doing research in libraries in horror.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

FreudianSlippers posted:

I love people doing research in libraries in horror.

Agreed. It just isn't the same when they just call some rear end in a top hat paranormal expert on Skype. Give me newspaper articles on microfiche any day.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Wolfman 2012 has one of my favorite horror movie digging through books montages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Crescent Wrench posted:

Agreed. It just isn't the same when they just call some rear end in a top hat paranormal expert on Skype. Give me newspaper articles on microfiche any day.

Sinister really had one of the weirdest squanderings of Vincent D'Onofrio ever