Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I have still never forgiven Netflix for canceling Sense8 and The Getdown. At least Sense8 got that movie to close things out, but still. That was when I realized the streaming was terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
From what I understand for why high viewership new shows still get cancelled, it’s usually because watchers don’t actually finish the shows. Meaning those viewers watch the first few episodes and then bail for whatever reason. So that means they can’t be counted on to be there for a season 2. So while show X may have amazing numbers, not enough are even bothering to watch through to the end.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Soonmot posted:

I have still never forgiven Netflix for canceling Sense8 and The Getdown. At least Sense8 got that movie to close things out, but still. That was when I realized the streaming was terrible.

The actor who played Will Gorski is my upstairs neighbor. :v:

I should probably get his thoughts on this whole fracas.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Teek posted:

From what I understand for why high viewership new shows still get cancelled, it’s usually because watchers don’t actually finish the shows. Meaning those viewers watch the first few episodes and then bail for whatever reason. So that means they can’t be counted on to be there for a season 2. So while show X may have amazing numbers, not enough are even bothering to watch through to the end.

Then why brag about viewership numbers in the first place if it doesn't matter? :confused:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Happy Landfill posted:

Then why brag about viewership numbers in the first place if it doesn't matter? :confused:

To sucker in investors.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Teek posted:

They also don't really care about US numbers since that market is pretty saturated and doesn't get new users. So if something is popular in America but flops overseas it'll get canned (see The Babysitter's Club)

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
That was a plot point in the first Futurama Hulu episode.

How has advertisers not complained about this? I don't get how it works

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Island Nation posted:

That was a plot point in the first Futurama Hulu episode.

How has advertisers not complained about this? I don't get how it works

Despite being the core pillar of a lot of modern digital infrastructure, advertisement runs on what is ultimately little more than faith and vibes. They're used to results being intangible and unfocused.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Soonmot posted:

I have still never forgiven Netflix for canceling Sense8 and The Getdown.

The Getdown was insanely expensive and no one watched it.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Netflix renewing Glow and then cancelling it made me just kind of give up on their service.

It’s hard to get interested in trying their new shows if they’re only going be around for two seasons at most.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I'm still really soured on Bojack's final season getting cut short. Its ending was good but you could tell they had to work around not getting an actual final 7th season, but instead some weird, longer 6th season that was split in to two parts.

Honestly, I'm kind of shocked Bojack lasted as long as it did. Seems like a show that would have been cancelled too soon

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Palmtree Panic posted:

Netflix renewing Glow and then cancelling it made me just kind of give up on their service.

It’s hard to get interested in trying their new shows if they’re only going be around for two seasons at most.

Iirc COVID also hosed over GLOW as well, which I can totally see, though I don’t think Netflix’s weird “People like this show? Axe it” thing.

Saw nothing but praise for Tuca and Bertie and that show got cancelled real fuckin quick (and then renewed for two seasons at adult swim impressively enough).

There’s a reason why streaming services are cagey with their numbers and boy, the longer it goes on, the more suspicious it seems.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

At this point, I figure it’s only a matter of when one of the big streamers gets their actual internal data leaked, which then sets off a domino effect in the rest of the industry of investors trying to pull out because they now have solid evidence that the metrics they’ve been getting fed are all bullshit.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

teen witch posted:

Iirc COVID also hosed over GLOW as well, which I can totally see, though I don’t think Netflix’s weird “People like this show? Axe it” thing.

Saw nothing but praise for Tuca and Bertie and that show got cancelled real fuckin quick (and then renewed for two seasons at adult swim impressively enough).

There’s a reason why streaming services are cagey with their numbers and boy, the longer it goes on, the more suspicious it seems.

Tuca and Bertie is one of the ones that I'd love transparency on, because I'm pretty sure that what happened is that they really pushed it onto Bojack Horseman viewers, who tried the show out and often didn't like it (since it has a very different vibe) and didn't finish it. Starting a show and not finishing it is the one known black mark, worse than just not having their view in the first place.

But yeah, Cowboy Bebop is another one since it begs the question of what it actually means to be the #1 trending show. Is it all just smoke and mirrors anyway?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
With regards to live-action Bebop, I think I read that the show went super over budget due to Cho breaking his leg and then COVID-19 happening. It's not that it wasn't a success, it's that it wasn't AS BIG a success as it needed to be to get renewed. At least, that was what I remember the official story being.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Teek posted:

Netflix viewing standards are more specifically insane than this -- they're critically interested in people who binge shows close to the release window.

So if you, I dunno, have a life or for some other weird reason don't want to watch eight to ten hours of a television show within 72 hours of it dropping, then your viewership is less meaningful.

It's something Neil Gaiman was talking about in terms of Sandman, but I've seen it pop up a lot of times before.

Edward Mass posted:

With regards to live-action Bebop, I think I read that the show went super over budget due to Cho breaking his leg and then COVID-19 happening. It's not that it wasn't a success, it's that it wasn't AS BIG a success as it needed to be to get renewed. At least, that was what I remember the official story being.

Yeah, didn't that effectively double their budget? I think I remember reading that somewhere.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

teen witch posted:

Yeah, the final season was written and they had been shooting for several weeks, but this was pre-vaccines, the world had ended and it's a little difficult to do a show about wrestling when everyone is supposed be socially distancing six feet away from each other. By the time they were ready to begin filming again, the contracts for the cast and crew had expired and a few of the stars were already busy with other projects. The cancellation was absolutely not a result of Netflix being capricious.

Timby fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Aug 6, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, I used to think it was the budget that torpedoed a show and I guess it might still be but who honestly knows? That Gabriel Iglesias show couldn't have had a huge budget and it got the axe and people seemed to like it in that generically inoffensive sitcom sort of way.

IIRC Netflix's lovely strategy was the back load payoffs, so they'd pay next to nothing for season 1 and maybe season 2 but promise much bigger cuts when they get to season 3 and 4... Which leads Netflix to cancel things before risking a season 3 and having to pay anyone for their work.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Teek posted:

This double sucks because often if a show is really good... i don't want to binge it. I want to watch it at my own pace, one at a time over a long time. Honestly the better a show is. The less likely I am to finish it in a timely manner.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Do writers truly down pens during the strike? Obviously they can’t submit work to the studio. But I’m wondering if they take the time to punch up scripts for their existing shows and develop new projects. It seems like a really long period of time to be doing nothing professionally.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I remember when the "Netflix cancels after season 2 because of residuals" was spoken about like a conspiracy theory, what, 3 years ago?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Edward Mass posted:

Also the writing was complete dogshit. One of the things that is in the anime’s favor (aside from just overall style) is the pacing. The episodes are tight and fuckin move.

The adaptation took the anime ideas and stretched them to hour long episodes, absolutely killing any pacing.

Also, while I like Cho, the dude is 51 years old - five years older than Mustafa Shakir.

The budget was the least of the fuckin problems with that show.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Khanstant posted:

IIRC Netflix's lovely strategy was the back load payoffs, so they'd pay next to nothing for season 1 and maybe season 2 but promise much bigger cuts when they get to season 3 and 4... Which leads Netflix to cancel things before risking a season 3 and having to pay anyone for their work.

So this isn’t just a Netflix thing. Disney does the same. They negotiate agreements where they pay lower rates for the first few seasons of a new show. What they often do after that is “rebrand” the show. The rebranded show is considered “new” for contractual purposes - thus allowing them to notice paying poo poo wages.

Example - “The Suite Life of Zack & Cody” becomes “The Suite Life on Deck”.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I'm starting to feel like every time a show's production does something weird to the show, nine times out of ten it's either to avoid paying people or to undermine some sort of union thing

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

Vegetable posted:

Do writers truly down pens during the strike? Obviously they can’t submit work to the studio. But I’m wondering if they take the time to punch up scripts for their existing shows and develop new projects. It seems like a really long period of time to be doing nothing professionally.

Some of the writers I know use time like this to work on personal projects or scripts they can try to sell later. It's also possible that they continue working on their existing projects, but won't submit any of the work until they are paid for it.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Vegetable posted:

They're not allowed to punch up script for existing shows or movie projects that are underway, that's work for a struck company. They're allowed to start or continue writing scripts for movies or pilots they hope to sell later. That's work for themselves, not for a struck company.

Now, if you've had the script for Live Die Repeat And Repeat The Edge of the Day After Tomorrow in your drawer for a decade, and WB has an option on that script, and you have an idea for a character moment, and you go into your script and edit a line, is anybody two years from now going to go in the script and ask "did you make this line change while you were on strike"? Probably not. But it's against the strike rules.

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Aug 6, 2023

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Palmtree Panic posted:

I cancelled when they went released, then defended Dave Chapelle's "comedy" special where he spent no poo poo 40 minutes making GBS threads on trans people, but the GLOW decision definitely played a big part too.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Cowboy Bebop was directed like a web series. Sure much of it looked cheap as hell otherwise, but I think that's why it ultimately feels so amateurish. Which makes sense when you look at both the directors resumes, which do have a few beight spots, but are mainly mediocre low budget TV.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/Tyranicus/status/1688281691968913408

So here's a dumb question - Beltran was talking about Star Trek Voyager. Every show done by for example here Paramount is considered struck?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Yep! Paramount can in principle benefit from publicity for Voyager, for example by striking syndication deals in the US or selling international streaming rights. The strike guidelines specifically say members shouldn't be doing publicity including conventions and fan expos.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
How does a star trek convention even work if you can't talk about all the shows at all?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

SAG-AFTRA members can't promote work they did under a SAG-AFTRA contract. Fans are free to go and say the word V*lcan as much as they want. Ideally, performers wouldn't appear at the convention at all during the strike.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Confusedslight posted:

How does a star trek convention even work if you can't talk about all the shows at all?

Same way Comic Con worked this year I guess. Basically everyone who was WGA or SAG-AFTRA pulled out of their scheduled appearances in compliance with the strike order... Except for Robert Beltran, I guess?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I guess one weird knock on benefit to the strike so far has been all the shittiest people you know on both sides of the table publicly reaffirming just how awful they all are with basically no prompting.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Pinterest Mom posted:

SAG-AFTRA members can't promote work they did under a SAG-AFTRA contract. Fans are free to go and say the word V*lcan as much as they want. Ideally, performers wouldn't appear at the convention at all during the strike.

Yeah, Zachary Levi was just complaining about this at some recent convention. Although he was quick to clarify that he is behind the strike 100%

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I guess the cons aren't considered contracted appearances?

Also in contrast to Stephen Amell, Grant Gustin has been shots from the picket line.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mooseontheloose posted:

Apparently if the con invites you, it's fine. If the studio sends you out, it's not.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Confusedslight posted:

Ideally, it doesn't. That's the point.

Union rules should probably just be changed to ban members from cons during strikes entirely.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tree Reformat posted:

Ideally, it doesn't. That's the point.

Union rules should probably just be changed to ban members from cons during strikes entirely.

You say that like it would stop someone like Beltran from just doing whatever the gently caress he wants :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Mooseontheloose posted:

I've noticed that DragonCon is still announcing new actor guest appearances but they're doing so in tweets without any mention of their shows and/or movies so it feels like they're treating this less like, "Come find out all the scoop on your favorite media!" and more, "Come chitchat with this actor!"

Basically since the SAG-AFTRA strike kicked off, their announcements have gone from this:

to this: