Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

fartknocker posted:

They need to retire 84 first.

Well now I’m really confused. Here’s the list of their retired numbers:

Fran Tarkenton #10.
Mick Tinglehoff #53
Jim Marshall #70
Korey Stringer #77
Alan Page #88
Cris Carter #80

So Cris Carter is the most recent, and he retired 21 years ago. Did they get new ownership that is morally opposed to retiring numbers or something

e: Zygi took over in 2005, so maybe? Quickly someone alert Jon bois so he can include this pressing issue before the last video is finished

Pontius Pilate fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Aug 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
I mean, it's not every day that a Mick Tinglehoff walks through the door

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Pontius Pilate posted:

Well now I’m really confused. Here’s the list of their retired numbers:

Fran Tarkenton #10.
Mick Tinglehoff #53
Jim Marshall #70
Korey Stringer #77
Alan Page #88
Cris Carter #80

So Cris Carter is the most recent, and he retired 21 years ago. Did they get new ownership that is morally opposed to retiring numbers or something

e: Zygi took over in 2005, so maybe? Quickly someone alert Jon bois so he can include this pressing issue before the last video is finished

Retiring numbers in the NFL for very old franchises is oddly kinda hard I think, with the NFL's numbering system. Until...well at least somewhat recently compared to history (it's been a good while) you could only wear 80s if you were a WR. So you could suck up a number that you'd never use again and if you do that too often no matter how much it's deserved eventually you run out of numbers.

At least I think that's the explanation for why some teams don't retire numbers at all and just have their ring of honor for the players.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Grittybeard posted:

Retiring numbers in the NFL for very old franchises is oddly kinda hard I think, with the NFL's numbering system. Until...well at least somewhat recently compared to history (it's been a good while) you could only wear 80s if you were a WR. So you could suck up a number that you'd never use again and if you do that too often no matter how much it's deserved eventually you run out of numbers.

At least I think that's the explanation for why some teams don't retire numbers at all and just have their ring of honor for the players.

I figured that was part of it, but the 20s are wide open, and as you mentioned it’s not as relevant anymore with the new numbering system

e: Here’s who’s in the ring of honor excluding non-players:
Jared Allen
Matt Blair
Bill Brown
Joey Browner
Cris Carter
Chris Doleman
Carl Eller
Chuck Foreman
Steve Jordan
Paul Krause
Jim Marshall
Randall McDaniel
Randy Moss
Alan Page
John Randle
Korey Stringer
Scott Studwell
Ahmad Rashad
Fran Tarkenton
Mick Tinglehoff
Kevin Williams
Ron Yary

So assume in Peterson’s case it is a five year wait or something. Has any team ever unretired a number? OJ maybe?

Pontius Pilate fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Aug 7, 2023

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the broncos had retired 18 until peyton came along

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Cavauro posted:

the broncos had retired 18 until peyton came along

Had forgotten that, but then it was subsequently re-retired and the previous player gave him permission, which I think has happened before, or maybe I’m just thinking of Namath offering 12 up to rodgers

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

https://twitter.com/JClarkNBCS/status/1688248039176032256?s=20

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Thats the lamest loving thing ever lol

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

His teammates hated him everywhere he's played or he would have a job.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Doltos posted:

It is Carson Wentz yes

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

gently caress beaten.

https://twitter.com/theStevenRuiz/status/1688256061621334016?t=WDQ2YWb4z_lkifHzkZmUxg&s=19

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Wil Wheaton.

https://twitter.com/JClarkNBCS/status/1688248039176032256?s=20

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Doltos posted:

Yeah

...yeah. good god

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I never thought I'd feel sorry for Wentz but my god that picture

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
That's just about the saddest thing I've ever seen in terms of a free agent. Maybe ever, christ...

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
He's wearing the half and half jersey his parents sowed together so celebrate him and his brothers little league teams equally

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
Carson Wentz getting caught in that outfit in the hallway by his neighbor and sheepishly mumbling something about it being laundry day and pulling his door shut as fast as he can without slamming it.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

He's hoping no prospective employers actually check those references

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

https://twitter.com/ArtButSports/status/1688342294112468992

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Jfc

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Okay, internet's over everybody, this guy won.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It's amazing how fast things can fall apart when you run out of talent and you're also an unlikable dick. Not even worth tanking with him if he also alienates the locker room.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

Wentz just throwing a few balls in between mowing the lawn.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

The ensemble is bad but the Jesus Fish right there to reinforce that no one likes him on top of the ensemble is chef's kiss

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
Imagine in 2020 after the Stafford trade telling someone that between Wentz and Goff, one would be out of the league by 2023 and one would be on the cusp of leading the Lions to a resurgence.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
He was playing so out of his mind in 17 up until his acl. Never seen an eagles qb play that good in my life, but then the talent bearing acl shredded and he became sub practice squad level instantly.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
What is the throwing motion against air going on there anyway aside from everything else wrong about Carson? I guess you practice throwing off platform but from the last couple of years I'd just like to see him step into a throw.

And have it be on target.

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:

now do fitzpatrick

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Incitatus posted:

now do fitzpatrick

People like Fitzpatrick and he could probably have kept playing if he’d wanted to

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

fartknocker posted:

People like Fitzpatrick and he could probably have kept playing if he’d wanted to
Definitely.

I miss him.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Fitzpatrick was special because he was generally bad but also managed to be good at the right enough times that teams kept biting on him.

Plus good or bad he was generally fun to watch.

Mexican Radio
Jan 5, 2007

mombo with your jombo?
would take fitz over wentz every time. one option just might get you some fitzmagic, while the other option is definitely getting you carson wentz.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Bellmaker posted:

The ensemble is bad but the Jesus Fish right there to reinforce that no one likes him on top of the ensemble is chef's kiss

If the name on the jersey isn’t MAGA then the ensemble is incomplete

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Dr_Strangelove posted:

If the name on the jersey isn’t MAGA then the ensemble is incomplete

Carson Wentz being shadow banned from the league for his politics? Someone get Enes Freedom on the line :discourse:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

syzpid posted:

Imagine in 2020 after the Stafford trade telling someone that between Wentz and Goff, one would be out of the league by 2023 and one would be on the cusp of leading the Lions to a resurgence.

Who would have ever believed that it wouldn't be Wentz that was out of the league

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Nodoze posted:

Who would have ever believed that it wouldn't be Wentz that was out of the league

I mean over Goff in 2020? Maybe you just say both, but Goff's comeback even if he falls off hard now is something no one predicted.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
There’s more pics from it

https://twitter.com/NFL_DovKleiman/status/1688253370937528320?s=20

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

That's some really bad Super Skrull quarterback poo poo.

Yes, I finished Secret Invasion. Wentz should go with the story he was secretly replaced with a Skrull when he tore his ACL.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Grittybeard posted:

I mean over Goff in 2020? Maybe you just say both, but Goff's comeback even if he falls off hard now is something no one predicted.

Carson Wentz was never good, Goff at least had good tape out there even if there were questions about how much was McVay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Nodoze posted:

Carson Wentz was never good, Goff at least had good tape out there even if there were questions about how much was McVay

Wentz has almost the exact same tape, he put up 33 TD's in less then a full season with the Eagles that one year.