Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Eezee posted:

Kuhn Rikon makes one that I find the most enjoyable to use. It is however made of cheap plastic and the blade is not stainless steel, so it rusts if you leave it wet. The extremely sharp blade makes up for that though. And its 5eur here. There are probably cheaper sources than Amazon in the US.

https://www.amazon.com/Kuhn-Rikon-2781-Original-4-Inch/dp/B000H7O3QS/?th=1

looks like there's a more expensive version with a metal handle. I thought to look for it because their garlic press is same way

https://www.amazon.com/Kuhn-Rikon-Swiss-Peeler-4-Inch/dp/B0089KFZ6W

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

FaradayCage posted:

These steak knives are 40% off at the moment:

https://www.messermeister.com/products/san-moritz-elite-4-piece-non-serrated-steak-knife-set

Well worth it?

I've been considering a set. Does it work well with bone-in chicken as well? Also tougher cuts of beef? I'm not used to seeing steak knives that are not serrated (which is probably the cheap way).

I bought a 4 pack of those knives in 2020. They're great. They hold their edge well and they can be honed/sharpened. They've survived lots of abuse with no chips. The handles are plastic resin but feel just like wood.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Lawnie posted:

Penzeys sells an extra-bold Indian telicherry black pepper that is very tasty and peppery

2nd penzeys, they're extremely good

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Bagheera posted:

We need sliding shelves for our kitchen cabinets. We can't afford custom-made shelves, so we're looking at pre-fab.

Here's an example of what we're looking at. It meets our requirements:
-Two shelves that slide out.
-Metal grates (which I think will last longer and cost less than wood)
-Holes in the bottom frame, so they can be screwed in at the bottom.

They don't have to exactly match the width and depth of our 36-inch wide cabinets. If there's a 2-foot-wide sliding shelf next to a 1-foot empty space, that's ok.

Do you have any brands you prefer?

This is what I installed in my cabinets and they're great.

Eccles
Feb 6, 2010
The Kuhn Rikon Piranha Y peeler has a stainless blade. Been using mine daily for more than a year and it still looks new. Works great.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Fart Car '97 posted:

2nd penzeys, they're extremely good

I cracked up a ton of the stuff extra-coarse for a prime rib finish last Christmas. Best pepper taste I can remember getting at home.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Just googled Penzeys to see if they ship to Canada and... why are so many of these niche American businesses insanely political? Headings on their website: 'Spices', 'Express Order', 'Gift Boxes', 'About Us', and 'About Republicans'. Seems like they have the right idea but what a crazy thing to put on your spice store website.

e: the other niche businesses I was referring to are fountain pen websites.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Yeah the spice trade is just too political these days

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

VelociBacon posted:

Just googled Penzeys to see if they ship to Canada and... why are so many of these niche American businesses insanely political? Headings on their website: 'Spices', 'Express Order', 'Gift Boxes', 'About Us', and 'About Republicans'. Seems like they have the right idea but what a crazy thing to put on your spice store website.

Maybe if you don’t like it you could start your own spice company that caters to chuds.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Like I said, nothing wrong with what they're saying but insane for it to be one of the headings on their retail website. Anyways they don't ship outside their own country unless you call them and presumably recite the commandments or something. Maybe there's a distributor locally, I'll have to dig more into it.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

shocking that penzeys would deliberately alienate the people who think mayonnaise is a spice

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
The Penzey's guy is a little odd, but his heart is in the right place. Seems like it's usually the other way around, so in that sense it's a nice change of pace.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Bagheera posted:

Alternative knife sharpeners?

Cheap upright sharpeners like this one don't get my knives as sharp as I like them.

After years of practice, I'm still no good with a whetstone. I can't hold a knife at a consistent angle while I move it across the whetstone.

I'm afraid to use electric sharpeners, as I'll grind down my knives too much.

I pay a guy to sharpen my knives every few months (and I hone them every time I use them), but that's gotten expensive.

There are some alternatives that might help me. Have you tried any of these devices?

Ruixin sharpener This clamps to a table/counter and keeps a consistent angle for sharpening.

Work Sharp Precision Adjust A friend says he uses this on all his hunting/camping knives. I wonder if it would work well for my cutlery.

You might get some good advice in the knife thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3846213

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

Just googled Penzeys to see if they ship to Canada and... why are so many of these niche American businesses insanely political?

Couple reasons, both down to American politics being really hosed up:
1) It's super duper ultra tribalistic right now so people are willing to pay extra for stuff that comes from the Correct People (the american right has been built on and reinforcing this dynamic for the past couple decades, exacerbating the problem considerably, but it's true of both sides to an extent)
2) You can spend as much money as you want on political ads and bullshit so it frequently feels like the only people who get heard are the ones with giant piles of money. So if you have a platform built on a small pile of money, it gets very tempting to use that to be heard

Also you gotta be a little crazy to run a niche internet business, I think. Just comes with the territory. See also the chef press guy, nearly every smallish 3d printing vendor, etc. - the only reason you get into that poo poo is if you just loving love it, if you were in it for the cash it's less work for more money to work for a giant multinational.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

I agree. I'm quite left wing and agree with everything Penzeys has to say, but they've really gone overboard with their commentary.

Even if I agree with company's views, I don't need to be reminded of them with every email, text, and invoice.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

quote:

Wisconsin-based spice company's "Republicans Are Racists Weekend!" held on the weekend of Martin Luther King Jr. Day has mired the company in controversy leading to a boycott of thousands of customers, but the company is not apologizing.

Lol

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I remember getting an email with the subject "Racism Update" and saying "what the gently caress" out loud. It was the Penzey's newsletter. Apparently the previous issue told racists that they were not welcome and to unsubscribe. They had an update on how many people unsubscribed.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
That owns

They poo poo all over "Columbus Day" a few years ago and that got a lot of terrible people super duper mad

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
There is crazy family business drama around Penzeys! One branch is super-right wing and took offense at Penzeys supporting something vaguely liberal sometime around the Obama election. The right wing family branch broke away and formed a splinter spice company that runs ads targeted at people searching Penzeys that are all about KEEPING POLITICS OUT OF YOUR SPICES, and FREEDOM OF SPEECH and AMERICAN SMALL BUSINESS!!!

Penzeys was just sort of old hippie liberal but now it seems like they just love sticking it to their terrible cousins.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
The spice trade is known for being politically agnostic, yes.

mystes
May 31, 2006

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

The spice trade is known for being politically agnostic, yes.
I already made essentially that joke :colbert:

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

mystes posted:

I already made essentially that joke :colbert:

Have you two considered just going Dutch?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Eezee posted:

Kuhn Rikon makes one that I find the most enjoyable to use. It is however made of cheap plastic and the blade is not stainless steel, so it rusts if you leave it wet. The extremely sharp blade makes up for that though. And its 5eur here. There are probably cheaper sources than Amazon in the US.

https://www.amazon.com/Kuhn-Rikon-2781-Original-4-Inch/dp/B000H7O3QS/?th=1

I also use the and they are great but delicate and prone to rust if not wiped and put away immediately after use.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

Hutla posted:

There is crazy family business drama around Penzeys! One branch is super-right wing and took offense at Penzeys supporting something vaguely liberal sometime around the Obama election. The right wing family branch broke away and formed a splinter spice company that runs ads targeted at people searching Penzeys that are all about KEEPING POLITICS OUT OF YOUR SPICES, and FREEDOM OF SPEECH and AMERICAN SMALL BUSINESS!!!

Penzeys was just sort of old hippie liberal but now it seems like they just love sticking it to their terrible cousins.

This explains so much.

It's like the angry teen who won't shut up about how awful Xtians are, and you can't figure out why he won't talk about anything else. Then you learn that his dad was a Baptist preacher and it all clicks.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

Guy Axlerod posted:

I remember getting an email with the subject "Racism Update" and saying "what the gently caress" out loud. It was the Penzey's newsletter. Apparently the previous issue told racists that they were not welcome and to unsubscribe. They had an update on how many people unsubscribed.

They probably put me in the "racists who unsubscribed" numbers. I still buy their spices. I just got tired of their boorish newsletters.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
I find "sells good products, has good politics, but is slightly too chatty" to be a refreshing change over most corporations you have to deal with in day to day life, which tend to be more of the "unspeakably evil but quiet about it" sort.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

VelociBacon posted:

Just googled Penzeys to see if they ship to Canada and...

If you are in Toronto, I'd recommend going to Carlos house of spice in Kensington market. The majority of his spice business is restaurants, so they are freshly stocked on almost every thing. If you don't see it, just ask as it can be not on the shelf.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

unknown posted:

If you are in Toronto, I'd recommend going to Carlos house of spice in Kensington market. The majority of his spice business is restaurants, so they are freshly stocked on almost every thing. If you don't see it, just ask as it can be not on the shelf.

I'm actually over in Vancouver, if you know any places here? I've gotten some good stuff from gourmet warehouse but it's pretty far. Actually I wonder if they ship.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Isn't there a few places on Granville island? It's been a while since I was in Vancouver, but googling restaurant spice suppliers will probably be the beer avenue. (since they will generally have fresh supplies on hand).

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

unknown posted:

Isn't there a few places on Granville island? It's been a while since I was in Vancouver, but googling restaurant spice suppliers will probably be the beer avenue. (since they will generally have fresh supplies on hand).

Maybe! But I'm not right downtown, I'm in a (non-Surrey) suburb.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
So if I buy from Penzeys Republicans don’t like that?

I want it more now whatever it is they sell.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Penzey’s emails are basically Dr. Bronner but not wrong. If you just pagedown to the end, that’s where the coupons/deals are, the images at the end.

One thing I think is cool is not only do they openly state their beliefs (over and over and over again), they also put their money where their mouth is, by doing a ton of giveaways and deep discounting, and prioritizing that over their profit margin

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
On the opposite extreme, please stop buying anything from Uline. They're heavily involved in alt-right causes like anti-aborition bills, homophobic and transphobic candidates, and more.

If you run a business, Uline is almost impossible to avoid. They sell everything from pallets to garbage bags, and have a lot of basic kitchen supplies too. But drat, they are seriously right wing. Every catalog they send out (and yeah, they still send phonebook thick catalogs to all their customer every month) has a right-wing rant in the middle of the catalog. Same concept as Penzeys, only with some really vile attitudes, and 600 pages or paper per customer per month.

Now they're heavily involved with defeating Ohio's constitutional amendment to protect the right to abortion and contraception. Read the article to see the details.

I held my nose and ordered from Uline once when I ran a small food business. Never again.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Bagheera posted:

On the opposite extreme, please stop buying anything from Uline. They're heavily involved in alt-right causes like anti-aborition bills, homophobic and transphobic candidates, and more.

If you run a business, Uline is almost impossible to avoid. They sell everything from pallets to garbage bags, and have a lot of basic kitchen supplies too. But drat, they are seriously right wing. Every catalog they send out (and yeah, they still send phonebook thick catalogs to all their customer every month) has a right-wing rant in the middle of the catalog. Same concept as Penzeys, only with some really vile attitudes, and 600 pages or paper per customer per month.

Now they're heavily involved with defeating Ohio's constitutional amendment to protect the right to abortion and contraception. Read the article to see the details.

I held my nose and ordered from Uline once when I ran a small food business. Never again.

Biggest republican donors in the country now that ol Sheldon’s eating dirt!

SubG posted:

I find "sells good products, has good politics, but is slightly too chatty" to be a refreshing change over most corporations you have to deal with in day to day life, which tend to be more of the "unspeakably evil but quiet about it" sort.

Anyone who disagrees with this is probably really annoying and “just wishes everything didn’t have to be about politics.”

Bill Penzey knows everything is about politics, which is why he sold spices and donated 100% of the revenue for a weekend to prove he really believed in the anger Wisconsinites felt after the Jacob Blake shooting.

Chuds: “you’d feel differently if it was your business getting looted!!”
Bill Penzey: “go gently caress your self I’m not just saying things, now I’m going to give away my money”

Lawnie fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Aug 8, 2023

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Lawnie posted:

Anyone who disagrees with this is probably really annoying and “just wishes everything didn’t have to be about politics.”

Indeed. To paraphrase something I once saw:

Your employer is into politics.
Your landlord is into politics.
Your bank is into politics.
Your health insurance is into politics.

And every day, they use their power to keep your pay low, your rent high, screwing you out of your money while they get bailed out by the government, and deny you coverage at every opportunity.

So why the gently caress aren't you?

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Aug 8, 2023

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Buying spices online is how I am into politics.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Please, this thread is a safe spice

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Bought a Vitamix off this flash sale. $249!

https://www.vitamix.com/us/en_us/shop/certified-reconditioned-7500

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Bagheera posted:

I used to buy shipping boxes from them, switched to papermart about two years ago when I started hearing they were nutters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Von Pluring
Sep 19, 2003

Zelensky's Zealots
Pork Pro

Hutla posted:

Reminds me of the Adidas/Puma feud...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dassler_brothers_feud