Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I have one of the baby peugots, it's great. The recent trend of high end expensive pepper grinders seems insane and very much some end stage capitalism brain poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

Discussion Quorum posted:

I watched one video of someone popping a lawn bubble on YouTube and immediately ended up with blister/zit popping videos in my feed

Be careful is all I'm sayin'

I bought a Unicorn Magnum back when it was all the hotness and have liked it enough that I haven't bothered looking into replacing it. Not pretty but it's efficient and just works :shrug:

Kent, the young people today, they think comedy is dirty words. It's not, it's words that SOUND dirty, like "Unicorn Mills 9-inch Magnum Plus Pepper Mill"

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I spent like a week looking at them and then just picked a random little wooden one off amazon because they all seemed like too much. Made sure to get one with ceramic burrs rather than plastic like the supermarket one I had, and it's been fine.

But you could always go for one of the MANLY and MASCULINE and EXPENSIVE ones. I think pepper grinders are inherently phallic and that breaks something inside men's brains.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
I really just want a pepper grinder that is well-suited to being chucked up on a drill for when I want something automated.

I tried several from Amazon but nothing seemed to fit the bill very well.

I'm sure there's something out there, but I haven't found it quite yet.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Nettle Soup posted:

I spent like a week looking at them and then just picked a random little wooden one off amazon because they all seemed like too much. Made sure to get one with ceramic burrs rather than plastic like the supermarket one I had, and it's been fine.

But you could always go for one of the MANLY and MASCULINE and EXPENSIVE ones. I think pepper grinders are inherently phallic and that breaks something inside men's brains.
I'd never heard of the pepper cannon until you referenced expensive grinders here and I looked it up. It looks pretty amazing and if lord Kenji likes it I'm in. If anyone has bad experiences with it let me know, otherwise will get it around christmas maybe.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

BrianBoitano posted:

We have a panini press, which is great for robust bread, but for plain grilled cheese it smooshes too much. My solution last time was to prop it up just the right height using a wooden spoon

... 15 seconds before I was going to pull it, the wooden spoon slipped out and the full weight, plus momentum, ejected the cheese in all directions. Great technique to make disappointed people and cheesy appliances
This is called "tickling the Welsh rabbit's tail".

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

The Midniter posted:

Recently upgraded my range to an LG induction unit and I don't know why I waited so long. This thing kicks rear end. Water boils in no time flat, the heat is incredibly responsive, AND the range I got from Costco came with an induction-capable set of nonstick stuff for eggs and whatnot so I didn't feel bad tossing my old stuff.

It has an "air sous vide" feature which I'm keen on trying - IMO the biggest drawback to conventional sous vide is that it's a wet environment but I'm wondering if constantly circulating air will help promote a crust on proteins while still keeping it from overcooking. I'm sure the temperature won't be quite as precise as the water method, but it'll be fun to experiment.

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

"Air sous vide" just sounds like a convection (air fryer) setting.

Anne Whateley posted:

Air sous vide seems like just regular oven reverse searing. Which is cool and good and better than regular SV for thick things, but not something that really needed a gimmicky name

SubG posted:

I'm pretty sure if there's air it's sans vide.

:v:

El Mero Mero posted:

It's hilarious that convection has been trend-rebranded twice now

Anne Whateley posted:

It would work with air but takes longer. For reverse searing, you still have a difference, but less of one so it creates less of a gradient. For example, I do pork roasts with the oven at 250°F until the center gets to 140°.

It does dry out the very exterior, but not like jerky. It sets you up perfectly for a sear that leaves an incredible crust, which is why I prefer it to SV.

Welp, this conversation broke my brain and I am now desperate for Answers. I checked, and my APO will hold 130F on the convection setting no problem. (Hell, it'll go down to 75F apparently).

So I grabbed a ribeye out of the freezer, thawed it in a bowl of cold water, and it's now in a breezy 130F chamber for the next couple hours. After that, I'll get a cast iron pan ripping hot on the (propane :( ) grill out on the balcony and see what kind of crust we get.

If this works, then . . . well, I don't know what. But I've been searching for Better Crust for awhile now and this seems almost dumb enough to work. And perhaps obvious enough that I really feel like I should have considered it myself before now.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

No Wave posted:

I'd never heard of the pepper cannon until you referenced expensive grinders here and I looked it up. It looks pretty amazing and if lord Kenji likes it I'm in. If anyone has bad experiences with it let me know, otherwise will get it around christmas maybe.

Stainless steel, booooo *crowd also boos along with me*

Could have been a Salt Cannon if it had ceramic burrs I guess.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Zarin posted:

:v:

Welp, this conversation broke my brain and I am now desperate for Answers. I checked, and my APO will hold 130F on the convection setting no problem. (Hell, it'll go down to 75F apparently).

So I grabbed a ribeye out of the freezer, thawed it in a bowl of cold water, and it's now in a breezy 130F chamber for the next couple hours. After that, I'll get a cast iron pan ripping hot on the (propane :( ) grill out on the balcony and see what kind of crust we get.

If this works, then . . . well, I don't know what. But I've been searching for Better Crust for awhile now and this seems almost dumb enough to work. And perhaps obvious enough that I really feel like I should have considered it myself before now.
I'm not sure if that will be enough heat with 100% convection. We'll see but you may end up having to raise the temp. I know steam ovens can act as pseudo-vide to degree-accurate temperatures but convection mode might end up being a different story (if I'm understanding the device correctly).

No Wave fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Aug 6, 2023

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

i remember that my breville oven would get as low as around 130F and i did reverse sear in there just fine. you get an insane sear and wall to wall medium rare, but i will say that the crust itself might be a little tougher and more 'jerky' like than if you reverse seared it at like 200 or 250. but i wouldnt say that the effect is noticeably to care enough outside of like a double blind

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

No Wave posted:

The heat transfer won't be as good as in water so your steak may not get hot enough like ever. Even at 200 degrees in a convection oven it can take a really long time to hit the right temperature.

Good reminder for me to hit it with the instant-read and see where we're at after the 2.5 hours or so.

I'll be (attempting to) sear the hell out of it, so I'm not TOO worried about it - I figure any under-temp in the center gives me a bit more room/time to sear.

Is this playing fast/loose with food safety though? :shrug: Time will tell on that one.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Zarin posted:

Good reminder for me to hit it with the instant-read and see where we're at after the 2.5 hours or so.

I'll be (attempting to) sear the hell out of it, so I'm not TOO worried about it - I figure any under-temp in the center gives me a bit more room/time to sear.

Is this playing fast/loose with food safety though? :shrug: Time will tell on that one.

i have found that an hour and a half at 130, assuming that the breville thing is actually holding a true 130 temp (i've been out of town for awhile and can't test, wouldnt surprise me if it did not actually keep a temp that low) will get it up to around 110-115 which is where i'll pull and sear and finish at 120-125 for a rest.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

for the record i was using the smart oven air fryer pro. just on normal convection bake settings.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

FaradayCage posted:

What are our thoughts on pepper grinders?

I keep a unicorn next to my stove for use while actively cooking and a peugot on the table for anyone who wants to add a little more.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Unicorn put in a new, improved type of burr set into the magnum in the last few years. Our old one got lost in the last move some how, so replaced with a new one.

It still puts out the same massive amount, but the grind is insanely consistent, and can go much finer. It’s amazing.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Doom Rooster posted:

Unicorn put in a new, improved type of burr set into the magnum in the last few years. Our old one got lost in the last move some how, so replaced with a new one.

It still puts out the same massive amount, but the grind is insanely consistent, and can go much finer. It’s amazing.

Good to know! I'm happy with mine as-is, but should I ever need to replace it, I'll stick with the same brand.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst

FaradayCage posted:

What are our thoughts on pepper grinders?

I've noticed the twist ones can be killer on the wrist some times. The lever ones solve this, but they're janky and they do break eventually.

I assume you can't really improve on the giant wooden tower in terms of longevity.

Has anyone looked into electrics? Or is there a grinder you have that stands out for some reason?

In particular I have a small wooden one that has always bugged me because it needs refilling so often. I've taken to using it as a dining table grinder.

While there are no good lever pepper mills, there are definitely good lever coffee grinders that will do just fine for pepper. Something cheapish like a Kingrinder or Timemore would be more than good enough. Or just get something no name from Amazon if you don't care about consistency that much.

Zarin posted:

I really just want a pepper grinder that is well-suited to being chucked up on a drill for when I want something automated.

I tried several from Amazon but nothing seemed to fit the bill very well.

I'm sure there's something out there, but I haven't found it quite yet.

Kingrinder is definitely drill compatible. It's even in their marketing.

Eezee fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Aug 6, 2023

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I have the Peugeot pepper mill and honestly the real challenge is finding great pepper locally. I've had some that I wanted basically on every meal but generally that goes quick and I'm using grocery store peppercorns the next month. Is there a pepper subscription service?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

VelociBacon posted:

I have the Peugeot pepper mill and honestly the real challenge is finding great pepper locally. I've had some that I wanted basically on every meal but generally that goes quick and I'm using grocery store peppercorns the next month. Is there a pepper subscription service?

I guess you could set it up on Amazon if you find one you like there?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

VelociBacon posted:

Which black pepper is the good black pepper

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

No Wave posted:

That's the one! Seems okay, but Fakespot seems to think 80% of the Amazon reviews on it are unreliable.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Which black pepper is the good black pepper

Penzeys sells an extra-bold Indian telicherry black pepper that is very tasty and peppery

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I have a vintage williams-sonoma grill press, but only because it's chrome-plated carbon steel, instead of cast iron. I just can't cast iron anymore.

mystes
May 31, 2006

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I just can't cast iron anymore.
I find casting fireball gets the food done quicker anyway

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

My husband constantly leaves the peppermill on fine when I prefer thick, so the Unicorn rules in the ease of changing the grind. The knob on the top of the Peugeot doesn't give the same level of control

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Our vegetable peeler broke. Do you have preferred brand of style? I'm thinking of getting this Oxo peeler. It's the same style as our old peeler, and Oxo is a good brand. What would you recommend?

This would be used once a day for typical home cooking: potatoes, squash, various fruits, nothing special or heavy duty.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
We need sliding shelves for our kitchen cabinets. We can't afford custom-made shelves, so we're looking at pre-fab.

Here's an example of what we're looking at. It meets our requirements:
-Two shelves that slide out.
-Metal grates (which I think will last longer and cost less than wood)
-Holes in the bottom frame, so they can be screwed in at the bottom.

They don't have to exactly match the width and depth of our 36-inch wide cabinets. If there's a 2-foot-wide sliding shelf next to a 1-foot empty space, that's ok.

Do you have any brands you prefer?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Oxo is good, it seems to peel a lot off

If you want thin peels to maximize your vegetable and don’t mind more shak shak action, Messermeister

Edit: Amazon doesn’t seem to have the messermeisters

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Nettle Soup posted:

This is why the Unicorn Magnum is so great - it's just a long, thick, plastic cylinder with a good bit of heft. You wrap one hand around the base and, with a firm but flexible grasp, twist the head. You can power through a huge load with very little effort. Adorn it with a pair of truck balls for extra manliness.

Doom Rooster posted:

That's actually good to know. Mine is actually the mini (pretend I made the obvious jokes here too), and refilling it can actually be mildly annoying, my only complaint, really. I guess I might spring for the full size sooner rather than later.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Bagheera posted:

Our vegetable peeler broke. Do you have preferred brand of style? I'm thinking of getting this Oxo peeler. It's the same style as our old peeler, and Oxo is a good brand. What would you recommend?
The Oxo peeler is fine if you like that style. I haven't done a lot of veg peeler comparison shopping, but I got the Oxo after decades of using one of those stamped metal ones that's like made out of compressed rust and it was a definite upgrade but, you know, still just a veg peeler.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Alternative knife sharpeners?

Cheap upright sharpeners like this one don't get my knives as sharp as I like them.

After years of practice, I'm still no good with a whetstone. I can't hold a knife at a consistent angle while I move it across the whetstone.

I'm afraid to use electric sharpeners, as I'll grind down my knives too much.

I pay a guy to sharpen my knives every few months (and I hone them every time I use them), but that's gotten expensive.

There are some alternatives that might help me. Have you tried any of these devices?

Ruixin sharpener This clamps to a table/counter and keeps a consistent angle for sharpening.

Work Sharp Precision Adjust A friend says he uses this on all his hunting/camping knives. I wonder if it would work well for my cutlery.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

Oxo is good, it seems to peel a lot off

If you want thin peels to maximize your vegetable and don’t mind more shak shak action, Messermeister

Edit: Amazon doesn’t seem to have the messermeisters

This one?

Thanks for pointing me to that brand. I have a set of steak knives from them that are great. I didn't know they made other equipment.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

Bagheera posted:

We need sliding shelves for our kitchen cabinets. We can't afford custom-made shelves, so we're looking at pre-fab.

Here's an example of what we're looking at. It meets our requirements:
-Two shelves that slide out.
-Metal grates (which I think will last longer and cost less than wood)
-Holes in the bottom frame, so they can be screwed in at the bottom.

They don't have to exactly match the width and depth of our 36-inch wide cabinets. If there's a 2-foot-wide sliding shelf next to a 1-foot empty space, that's ok.

Do you have any brands you prefer?

I have something like this installed in one of my cabinets to hold cutting boards vertically. I can't help you with the brand because I don't remember but it's probably the same one. The slides have worked great and it's pretty useful but get some loctite to go with it because the thumb screws that hold the vertical partitions are CONSTANTLY falling out.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Bagheera posted:

This one?

Thanks for pointing me to that brand. I have a set of steak knives from them that are great. I didn't know they made other equipment.

No, this:

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

We have that Oxo peeler, but we usually reach for the similar one we own from Zyliss. Z has a better eye remover, and otherwise seems to work just as well. I do find myself curious about this Messermeister now.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

Bagheera posted:

This one?

These steak knives are 40% off at the moment:

https://www.messermeister.com/products/san-moritz-elite-4-piece-non-serrated-steak-knife-set

Well worth it?

I've been considering a set. Does it work well with bone-in chicken as well? Also tougher cuts of beef? I'm not used to seeing steak knives that are not serrated (which is probably the cheap way).

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Bagheera posted:

This would be used once a day for typical home cooking: potatoes, squash, various fruits, nothing special or heavy duty.

I've heard a lot of love for the Kuhn Rikon peeler in the past, but I can't speak from personal experience.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I swear Penzeys must be doing some illegal doping of all their spices. There’s no way dill can be so emerald green. There’s no way spices can be so fragrant.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I have one of these silly little peelers and I like it so much I bought a second when I saw it on sale, so I have a backup when the first one gets thrown out with the peelings.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001U51ZRQ?amp=&amp=

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
Kuhn Rikon makes one that I find the most enjoyable to use. It is however made of cheap plastic and the blade is not stainless steel, so it rusts if you leave it wet. The extremely sharp blade makes up for that though. And its 5eur here. There are probably cheaper sources than Amazon in the US.

https://www.amazon.com/Kuhn-Rikon-2781-Original-4-Inch/dp/B000H7O3QS/?th=1