Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Literally posting through it

Who was the key witness? I missed that one

Pence. Donnie's going all brainfart diarrhea to try and get the trial moved (lol no) or the judge changed (LOL NO).

bulletsponge13 posted:

She posted what seems like reciepts further down- it looks legit

It's legit, it was a big thing a while back. Jason Millier (the man with no chin) even tried to give her an abortion pill in a drink or some poo poo. She's been fighting this thing for a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Too soon to tell if there will be consequences but hoping he’ll learn that contempt of court is a thing and maybe that will deplete his already shallow pool of lawyers willing to defend him.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

He's typing in caps lock lol. Reminds me of cutting back on funding in Sim City

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Legal Eagle dropped a video on the latest indictment and made the interesting point that belief and intent mean jack poo poo to these charges. They are purely about what actions were taken and who was involved and what was said. Which, well, it doesn't bode well for Trump.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Legal Eagle dropped a video on the latest indictment and made the interesting point that belief and intent mean jack poo poo to these charges. They are purely about what actions were taken and who was involved and what was said. Which, well, it doesn't bode well for Trump.

Yeah, that's an accurate reading best as I can tell. It's also completely and utterly different than what you'll hear from Republicans. Also be wary of all the "well it's just free speech and trump can't be charged for that" nonsense you'll hear too. Apparently like one out of the four counts has a high intent requirement, but even that high requirements doesn't mean "well, you have to prove he didn't believe it". That doesn't get him off the hook for the bullshit elector slates that he knew were against the official totals.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Kind of a moot point anyway because trump was a festering wound of malintent on this matter (and others)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

78th anniversary of the first offensive use of nuclear weapons was today.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

Kind of a moot point anyway because trump was a festering wound of malintent on this matter (and others)

Sure but I'm not complaining about less burden of proof

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Midjack posted:

78th anniversary of the first offensive use of nuclear weapons was today.

An unimaginable horror that didn't need to happen

Source: I did two papers on the bombs believing the invasion prevention justification.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Wasabi the J posted:

Turn on your oscilloscope

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

Source: I did two papers on the bombs believing the invasion prevention justification.

Can I read the papers

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Can I read the papers

Probably written by somebody with no family in the service at the time.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I think part of the equation is on what you personally believe the primary motivator for the bombing was- was it a demonstration of force not for the Japanese, but for the world? Was it to preserve the lives of a home island invasion? Simple math?

I'd like to read the papers, and I am interested in a group discussion on the topic because I don't feel qualified to make a fair eval of the use.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I'm not asking facetiously either. Counterfactuals are really difficult things to definitively state one way or another, plus fog of war, etc

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Wasabi the J posted:

Meh. We were already visiting unimaginable horrors in the form of massive firebombing that killed more than the nuclear weapons did.

There is little reason to believe Japan was going to capitulate and they made it clear in their attempts to negotiate with the Soviets they viewed the only way worth surrendering was them keeping their Imperial gains they still had.

The nuclear weapons made it clear to the Japanese High Command, especially the Emperor himself, that combined with the invasion of Manchuria that it was over, completely and totally.

And Japan was a-okay visiting unimaginable horrors on China and Southeast Asia, and would've likely needed to visit such on the US in turn to achieve their goals had they been able to do so.

*Insert William Tecumseh Sherman s letter to the Atlanta City Council on the cruelty of war here*

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Aug 7, 2023

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I'm not asking facetiously either. Counterfactuals are really difficult things to definitively state one way or another, plus fog of war, etc

I've seen what seemed like fairly compelling arguments in both directions, eg that Japan was already aware that it was defeated and so they were unnecessary and conversely that they were aware they were defeated but also still intended to go down fighting as much as humanly possible which seemed not-unfounded based off of pre-bomb engagements with the IJN. I too would be very curious to see anything particularly good on that point

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
I'm personally against the reading of history that treats the Nuclear Bombings of Japan as a uniquely horrible crime and Japan as passive victims of it. Certainly the people actually nuked and who died of horrible radiation poisoning got it loving raw, but so did the people of China- who the common populace of Japan cheered on the mass murder of by Japanese troops and treated war crimes like a fun event to report in the sunday paper.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Can I read the papers

No I was a bad student and embarrassed by my uncritical regurgitation of speculation.

And I dropped out almost 20 years ago

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Wasn't there also a coup attempt against the emperor to prevent the surrender that was thwarted in part by the blackout for another American bombing raid? I vaguely remember something like that from undergrad.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
They exported native Koreans, Vietnamese, and Chinese as slave labor and forced prostitutes, including sending them back to the home islands.

Unlike Germany, Japan has gone hard core on revisionist history about their actions and position during World War 2.

Soylent Pudding posted:

Wasn't there also a coup attempt against the emperor to prevent the surrender that was thwarted in part by the blackout for another American bombing raid? I vaguely remember something like that from undergrad.

Yup. Happened. They tried to burn the recordings of the Emperors speech as well to make sure they could justify it.

Thankfully the coup achieved little.

And while a lot of people point to Soviet invasion of Manchuria possibly being more impactful than the nuclear weapons, worth pointing out the Soviet were incapable of carrying out an amphibious invasion of Japan so at worst they'd wipe out a significant amount of Japanese Armies and take most of East Asia. Soviets were never a threat to the Japanese home islands other than putting pressure on dwindling military forces and resources Japan needed to defend against an Allied invasion.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Aug 7, 2023

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Considering that there was a split in the Imperial cabinet after the first bomb and an attempt at a coup/armed uprising after the second bomb in order to purge members of the cabinet who wanted to surrender, which was only defused by the Emperor taking it into his own hands and making a radio broadcast declaring an unconditional surrender (who's going to deny the Emperor air time on the national airwaves after all?) there were definitely True Believers in Japanese High Command after the two bombings who were still absolutely convinced that they should have fought until the last Japanese civilian, bombs or no.

Mass firebombing (which hadn't worked till this point, because bombing civilians rarely does), Operation Downfall (which would have taken months/years and cost millions of lives potentially, especially on the civilian side), or Atomic bombs, all options sucked, but the shock of the bombs did get the Emperor to directly intervene, overrule his own cabinet and declare a surrender which his own military command had to honor or overthrow the Emperor, and they chose not to overthrow the Emperor. IMO Atomic bombs probably sucked least of all three options.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
The Ukraine war, and the attitude of the Russian Public, has very much soured me on the concept of and hardened my hart against the idea of "No the average person are just victims of the government, they probably don't support the war."

It wasn't true in WW1 for essentially anyone. It wasn't true in WW2, sure as gently caress not for the Japanese or Germans (Maybe Italians, loving SCOREBOARD Mussolini). It wasn't true in ZImbabwe when the White Colonialist State there got BTFO'd.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Fivemarks posted:

The Ukraine war, and the attitude of the Russian Public, has very much soured me on the concept of and hardened my hart against the idea of "No the average person are just victims of the government, they probably don't support the war."

It wasn't true in WW1 for essentially anyone. It wasn't true in WW2, sure as gently caress not for the Japanese or Germans (Maybe Italians, loving SCOREBOARD Mussolini). It wasn't true in ZImbabwe when the White Colonialist State there got BTFO'd.

The Italians were definitely tired of Benito's poo poo well before Italy's capitulation. Hell, even his own party, the Fascists, were done with the project. Only the intervention of the Nazis and a few die hards keeps him in power as a puppet ruler.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

orange juche posted:

Mass firebombing (which hadn't worked till this point, because bombing civilians rarely does), Operation Downfall (which would have taken months/years and cost millions of lives potentially, especially on the civilian side), or Atomic bombs, all options sucked

Not to mention Operation Starvation, which was having great success in its titular aim in August of 1945.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Meant to post this earlier, the Popehat podcast is quite good, but here's his write-up in the lens of media lying about the charges: https://popehat.substack.com/p/people-are-lying-to-you-about-the

The short version is that it's all about the fraudulent slates of electors which proves the falsity/deceit required. Donnie's dumb brain's mental state isn't really important in the DOJ theory of the case, but they still think he could prove it was corrupt intent based on his statements and all the people telling him he was being a loving idiot until he started listening to kooks.

Objecting to the counts on the Senate floor was inbounds (legal process), filing dumb lawsuits was inbounds (legal process), yelling about nonsense was inbounds (1st amendment), but the moment they decided to generate lies and bullshit to specifically deceive the Senate it all went out of bounds and grabbed everything else that flowed from it.

The only two relevant cases close to this was in 1960, when there were three elector slates submitted due to timings of recounts in Hawaii genuinely loving with things. No intent to deceive or lies due to everything going fucky. In 2000, Gore stopped once the Supreme Court killed the lawsuits and that was that.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

More on the moron:

https://twitter.com/MikeSington/status/1688287226990620672

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Unlocked link, no paywall

New York Times: Trump Calls for Judge’s Recusal as His Lawyer Deems Effort to Overturn Election ‘Aspirational’

quote:

“What President Trump didn’t do is direct Vice President Pence to do anything,” Mr. Lauro said on CNN’s “State of the Union.” “He asked him in an aspirational way.”

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

"Your honor, my client's desire to rob a bank was only aspirational. Yes he was arrested in the lobby, in possession of an automatic firearm and, yes, while wearing a black mask. However, the fact that he was apprehended prior to yelling 'this is a stick up' means that his goals remained merely aspirational."

Arrath fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Aug 7, 2023

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Arrath posted:

"Your honor, my client's desire to rob a bank was only aspirational. Yes he was arrested in the lobby, in possession of an automatic firearm and, yes, while wearing a black mask. However, the fact that he was arrested prior to yelling 'this is a stick up' means that his goals remained merely aspirational."

wonder how else i can abuse the term "aspirational."

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Looking forward to the Trump affluenza defence.

Maybe we’ll get the reverse Twinkie defence, where Trump’s consumption of vegetables in the weeks prior to the incident are submitted as evidence that he was not in his right state of mind.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Platystemon posted:

Looking forward to the Trump affluenza defence.

Maybe we’ll get the reverse Twinkie defence, where Trump’s consumption of vegetables in the weeks prior to the incident are submitted as evidence that he was not in his right state of mind.

Trump will murder his lawyers on live television before he lets them offer a diminished capacity defense

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Trump’s surviving lawyers, after witnessing the scene above:

“We can work with that.”

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Don’t try to talk truth to fascists. They will spin it and the only thing you will gain is a headache.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

A.o.D. posted:

The Italians were definitely tired of Benito's poo poo well before Italy's capitulation. Hell, even his own party, the Fascists, were done with the project. Only the intervention of the Nazis and a few die hards keeps him in power as a puppet ruler.

TBF, Benito and the Italians probably contributed to Hiler's downfall more than some allied states.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Italians sucked the Nazis into North Africa.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-tyne-66421422

quote:

At least 57 people fell ill with diarrhoea and vomiting after a World Triathlon Championship Series event in Sunderland, health chiefs confirmed.
Tests are being conducted to establish possible causes of the outbreak.
Following news of illness among competitors, concerns were raised about water quality results from 26 July which showed high E.coli levels.

The big benefit of brexit, you see, is that you can just dump sewage directly into the water

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

armpit_enjoyer posted:

The big benefit of brexit, you see, is that you can just dump sewage directly into the water

uh WELL ACTUALLY you cant

gammon floats

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

armpit_enjoyer posted:

:itwaspoo:

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

armpit_enjoyer posted:

Why the gently caress would you test the water outside the swim area?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Grip it and rip it posted:

Why the gently caress would you test the water outside the swim area?

You do that because you know the swim area will fail, so you roll the dice with an area you think will pass.