Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
The AppleTV 6-month trial I got so my wife could watch Ted Lasso is coming to an end in a few weeks and I've been desperate to watch something, anything good to get a little more value out of it. The results have been mixed.

I already mentioned Mythic Quest, the show about neurotic game developers written by and starring Mac from Always Sunny. Its...fine. Its fine.

Platonic is the comedy about Rose Byrne and Seth Rogen rekindling their friendship when their adult lives have gone astray. Its pretty low stakes (its that TV thing where they don't have real problems but stuff like "I'm worried the brewery I work for is getting too commercial") but gets by almost solely through the strength of the leads playing well off each other. Its not exactly revelatory but its charming enough for a one-off.

Hello Tomorrow! is a show about moon real estate salesmen in a retro future starring Billy Crudup that is somehow so devoid of humor or drama I literally couldn't tell what genre it was supposed to be until I looked it up. A good cast, an interesting premise and excellent set and costume design wasted on the most inert show I've ever seen. The visual equivalent of taking a benadryl.

Schmigadoon! (why all the exclamation marks?) is supposed to be a send-up of musicals and 90% of the time the joke is "isn't it just ridiculous that everyone keeps singing? what the heck?" and boy is that not funny enough to sustain a series. They also managed to write an entire faux-Broadway show without a single memorable song, at least in the first season (its two seasons but I dipped after the first one). Dreadful.

Shrinking is a Ted Lasso-like that is supposed to be a comedy but is mostly just Special Moments, but if you like Jason Segel being depressed and Harrison Ford being a bitter old man its still decent enough for a watch.

As for movies, Tetris is nearly a cartoon for all its attempts to be based on a true story but about as entertaining as you could get out of a corporate biopic. On the flipside Beanie Bubble is less interesting than just reading the wikipedia article about Beanie Babies would be, Elizabeth Banks stays losing. Raymond and Ray is what you'd get if you typed 'indie movie about dealing with loss' into one of those lovely AI prompts. Coda isn't bad for what it is, a TV movie about a deaf family, until you realize it won Best Picture which is absolutely insane.

Aaand that's about it. Did I miss anything especially interesting, or is it all just similar slop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Wow Nimona was fantastic

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Wolfsheim posted:

The AppleTV 6-month trial I got so my wife could watch Ted Lasso is coming to an end in a few weeks and I've been desperate to watch something, anything good to get a little more value out of it. The results have been mixed.

I already mentioned Mythic Quest, the show about neurotic game developers written by and starring Mac from Always Sunny. Its...fine. Its fine.

Platonic is the comedy about Rose Byrne and Seth Rogen rekindling their friendship when their adult lives have gone astray. Its pretty low stakes (its that TV thing where they don't have real problems but stuff like "I'm worried the brewery I work for is getting too commercial") but gets by almost solely through the strength of the leads playing well off each other. Its not exactly revelatory but its charming enough for a one-off.

Hello Tomorrow! is a show about moon real estate salesmen in a retro future starring Billy Crudup that is somehow so devoid of humor or drama I literally couldn't tell what genre it was supposed to be until I looked it up. A good cast, an interesting premise and excellent set and costume design wasted on the most inert show I've ever seen. The visual equivalent of taking a benadryl.

Schmigadoon! (why all the exclamation marks?) is supposed to be a send-up of musicals and 90% of the time the joke is "isn't it just ridiculous that everyone keeps singing? what the heck?" and boy is that not funny enough to sustain a series. They also managed to write an entire faux-Broadway show without a single memorable song, at least in the first season (its two seasons but I dipped after the first one). Dreadful.

Shrinking is a Ted Lasso-like that is supposed to be a comedy but is mostly just Special Moments, but if you like Jason Segel being depressed and Harrison Ford being a bitter old man its still decent enough for a watch.

As for movies, Tetris is nearly a cartoon for all its attempts to be based on a true story but about as entertaining as you could get out of a corporate biopic. On the flipside Beanie Bubble is less interesting than just reading the wikipedia article about Beanie Babies would be, Elizabeth Banks stays losing. Raymond and Ray is what you'd get if you typed 'indie movie about dealing with loss' into one of those lovely AI prompts. Coda isn't bad for what it is, a TV movie about a deaf family, until you realize it won Best Picture which is absolutely insane.

Aaand that's about it. Did I miss anything especially interesting, or is it all just similar slop?

Have you seen For All Mankind yet? It's pretty good.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

No watch the work one with Adam Scott it’s the best Apple TV show

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Wolfsheim posted:

I just finished up my free 3 months last month.

If you haven't seen Severance you should absolutely positively watch that. It is one of the best shows I've seen in years. Also Silo is really good.

I tried Foundation because I liked the books but it suffers from the same Apple vibes as most of the other shows. I'm not sure what it is. Too glossy? Too corporate feeling? Too soulless?

I has the same feelings about Mythic Quest. It is certainly a television show. That's how I felt about most of the stuff on Apple. They all look like a very expensive commercial.

But seriously, Severance can't be missed.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea Severance is great. If you watch one thing on AppleTV, watch that . (Ted Lasso is a close second)

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Severance is pretty brilliant i loved it.
John tuttoro rules great cast

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Yea thee is a weird sheen to the Apple TV stuff. On the other hand I like max originals a lot so far

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I just started watching Foundation, as I loved the Asimov novels but haven’t read them since the late 90’s in high school.

I’m almost done with season one (season two started recently), and let me just say that it’s a very visually expensive show. :stare:

I like the Homeworld aesthetic of all the ships.

I’m gonna tackle Silo and For All Mankind next. Maybe Invasion, too. Gonna catch up on all these sci-fi shows.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I was really disappointed by Invasion. It's very slow, which isn't necessarily bad, but then I felt like right when something was going to happen, it turned out I had binged all the seasons and it was over.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Man, Reservation Dogs is so damned good.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Wolfsheim posted:

AppleTV+ takes

Pretty much spot on to my opinions. Echoing that Severance is easily the best show on that service. I watched it twice! For All Mankind is worth watching if you like space stuff at all - it's not great all of the time, but the highs are pretty high. edit: oh and I liked Silo a lot

Re: Mario, remember that this movie is for 2 audiences primarily - Kids who haven't seen a whole lot of stuff yet so virtually anything is novel and exciting, and adults who had to take their kids and will at least get a bit of nostalgia from references.

Excited for Hulu shows to get started again with new Reservation Dogs and Only Murders in the Building.

Glottis fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Aug 7, 2023

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Rez dogs is good but I’m fine with this being the last season. Just over dramedy as a genre

I’m still very much into what we do in the shadows

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

A MIRACLE posted:

No watch the work one with Adam Scott it’s the best Apple TV show

He can watch both!!! There is no new TV for a while anyway and they are both worth watching (for different reasons)

RCarr posted:

Yea Severance is great. If you watch one thing on AppleTV, watch that . (Ted Lasso is a close second)

ew

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Glottis posted:

Pretty much spot on to my opinions. Echoing that Severance is easily the best show on that service. I watched it twice! For All Mankind is worth watching if you like space stuff at all - it's not great all of the time, but the highs are pretty high.

Re: Mario, remember that this movie is for 2 audiences primarily - Kids who haven't seen a whole lot of stuff yet so virtually anything is novel and exciting, and adults who had to take their kids and will at least get a bit of nostalgia from references.

Excited for Hulu shows to get started again with new Reservation Dogs and Only Murders in the Building.

Severance is amazing, but Pachinko and Station Eleven are right there with it

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Station Eleven is so good. So good

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
I couldn’t stand Station Eleven, it had a fantastic first episode and each episode after that was worse until the finale where I was begging the show to either make sense of for the characters to be consistent

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Papercut posted:

Severance is amazing, but Pachinko and Station Eleven are right there with it

Uh excuse me. Station Eleven is Max: The one to go for HBO, not Apple TV.

it's also incredible

Also Pachinko doesn't get enough discussion. It was really good and people seemed to have just forgotten about it. Are they even making season 2?

Edit: yes they are in early 2024

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

mcmagic posted:

Uh excuse me. Station Eleven is Max: The one to go for HBO, not Apple TV.

it's also incredible

Also Pachinko doesn't get enough discussion. It was really good and people seemed to have just forgotten about it. Are they even making season 2?

Edit: yes they are in early 2024

Oh poo poo you're right haha. Well everyone watch Station Eleven if you have Max.

Yeah Pachinko was incredible and I believe slated for 3 seasons, but they're at minimum releasing a season 2.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Watching ted lasso is like mainlining a packet of sweet n low

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Nihonniboku posted:

Goons gonna goon I guess, always jumping on a contrarian band wagon.

You are too old to be this narcissistic about your loving Disney opinions, man. Grow up.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

1glitch0 posted:

That's how I felt about most of the stuff on Apple. They all look like a very expensive commercial.

This is a good way of summing it up. There's this subdued quality to most of them where they don't want to be too exciting, like they saw the success they received from Ted Lasso being a show about people being nice or mildly rude to each other and decided every show should be some flavor of that.

A MIRACLE posted:

Watching ted lasso is like mainlining a packet of sweet n low

This is also true, but I would argue it was really good at being that for about a season and a half before descending into full-blown self-parody. It sounds like Sudekis had one foot out the door by then and didn't want to keep being in it so it makes sense, but even someone like my wife who loved the first season finished the show shocked by how totally incomprehensible the final season was.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
It's always a little odd when shows have a great first season and then fall apart right away in the next. I think Homeland was that way, Westworld was like that, American Gods (although that one has an explanation)

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Deadite posted:

It's always a little odd when shows have a great first season and then fall apart right away in the next. I think Homeland was that way, Westworld was like that, American Gods (although that one has an explanation)

What happened with American Gods?

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

My boss wanted me to watch Ted Lasso because "it's inspiring and teaches you how to be a good manager." I will never watch it just because of that.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

What happened with American Gods?

The show runner got fired and some of the cast decided not to return for the second season

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Tim Whatley posted:

My boss wanted me to watch Ted Lasso because "it's inspiring and teaches you how to be a good manager." I will never watch it just because of that.

This is pretty funny because one of the weird sticking points is that in S1 Ted doesn't know anything about soccer because he just accepted the job offer on a whim but by S3 he still doesn't know anything about soccer which accidentally makes it a show about a lovely lazy guy who is unwilling to learn how to do his job and just smiles a lot

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Deadite posted:

I couldn’t stand Station Eleven, it had a fantastic first episode and each episode after that was worse until the finale where I was begging the show to either make sense of for the characters to be consistent

I feel the same when it comes to the characters behaving in sensical ways but I won’t disrecommend the show. The plot with Jeevan and Kirsten was really enjoyable to me, and I think somebody here mentioned that the show really expanded on it from what was in the book.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Deadite posted:

The show runner got fired and some of the cast decided not to return for the second season

Yeah it was a bit of a poo poo show. Fuller was asking for a higher budget per episode than Game of Thrones at the same time that Gaimen was expressing his displeasure at the liberties taken with the story.

Fuller then gets replaced with someone with no clue what they were doing and episodes were being shot with half finished scripts. To make up for this actors were asked to adlib to the point that Orlando Jones filed a grievance than he and McShane should have writing credits.

Jones was then fired before the third season.

Edit: for Ted Lasso I think it started suffering when Ted Lawrence stepped away to focus on other projects. He's been really good at knowing how to cut the saccharine with a little bitterness, like with Shrinking.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I couldn’t finish Shrinking.

Platonic is a pro watch tho

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

are there any good shows about football? Ted Lasso not being a grim serious show got my interests up but hearing it's barely about the sport is ehhh.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Tim Whatley posted:

The most annoying corporate striving weirdos love that show

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

mcmagic posted:

The most annoying corporate striving weirdos love that show

That all makes complete sense

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Don’t make me blog about you on my linkedin

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Imagine knowing you were directly responsible for causing corporate team building activities

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

finished righteous gemstones, what a great season. complete opposite ending from succession haha

also Full Circle owned

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I liked Crowded Room on Apple TV as well.

It's based on a book which is mentioned in the intro credits, and that book title very much gives away the premise. That book is also based on a real story but VERY loosely. For some reason reading the book title made it less enjoyable to watch for me, and it happens to show up just where the "skip intro" button drops you.

It's not supposed to be a secret or anything like that, and doesn't ruin the show, but it could have been more surprising. So pro viewing tip - hit skip into and then close your eyes until you hear dialog or something. At least for a few episodes.

Also Apple TV+ note - if a show comes out on, say, Friday, it will be available at 9PM eastern the night before.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
yeah I found this season of RG to be great, but it does take its time in bringing various stories together.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Glottis posted:

yeah I found this season of RG to be great, but it does take its time in bringing various stories together.

the Uncle Baby Billy's Bible Bonkers payoff made it all worth it imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I've gotten up to the last season of The Americans on my rewatch, drat that's a heckuva time skip between 5 and 6