Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
The classic is to collect skulls from a mob grinder. Then meticulously place then facing the center of the altar. The orientation and symmetry of the types of skulls don't matter, but it's a real hoot when you invite your server friends over to show off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Stabilizers can be both above and below the altar so use all that space. A room of skulls all staring creepily as mentioned is A+.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Craft ancient cobblestone. All stabilizers are equal, and ancient cobblestone is ridiculously cheap.

It's ugly though, so hide it under the floor. Spam this stuff until your arcane abacus says you're good.

Worked like a charm thank you. Also I put the skullfire sword in my killer joe with a skeleton spawner and it gives wither skulls. So no need to go hunting for skeletons.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008
So I'm running a 1.12.2 server on a custom (private) modpack, and it's unclear to me what steps I should take to guard against potential intrusion. I am running Endercore, and updated to the patched version. Do I need to move to a whitelist on top of that, in case there are further mods that are affected by this issue, but haven't been officially listed?

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Mooktastical posted:

So I'm running a 1.12.2 server on a custom (private) modpack, and it's unclear to me what steps I should take to guard against potential intrusion. I am running Endercore, and updated to the patched version. Do I need to move to a whitelist on top of that, in case there are further mods that are affected by this issue, but haven't been officially listed?

If you grab this and add it to the Java arguments it should in theory guard against any attempts at the exploit regardless of what mods may be affected. Whether that's something you have to do clientside, serverside, or both, I'm unclear.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

MonkeyforaHead posted:

If you grab this and add it to the Java arguments it should in theory guard against any attempts at the exploit regardless of what mods may be affected. Whether that's something you have to do clientside, serverside, or both, I'm unclear.

Ah, thanks. That's what I get for skimming. You rock

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Whether that's something you have to do clientside, serverside, or both, I'm unclear.

Both, and it only fixes mods it knows about.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Craft ancient cobblestone. All stabilizers are equal, and ancient cobblestone is ridiculously cheap.

It's ugly though, so hide it under the floor. Spam this stuff until your arcane abacus says you're good.

Well that's cheaty. All the stabilizers I knew of had to be put on blocks, usually above but also below in the case of crystals.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

McFrugal posted:

Well that's cheaty. All the stabilizers I knew of had to be put on blocks, usually above but also below in the case of crystals.

I always used Botania Mana Pylons, they float in place wherever you put them. Shiny, too.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

pseudorandom name posted:

Both, and it only fixes mods it knows about.

So since there are potentially mods with the issue that aren't public knowledge and that tool doesn't fix, would you recommend going to a whitelist setup?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Mooktastical posted:

So since there are potentially mods with the issue that aren't public knowledge and that tool doesn't fix, would you recommend going to a whitelist setup?

Actually, I think serializationisbad errs on the side of completely breaking mods that it doesn't know about.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

pseudorandom name posted:

Actually, I think serializationisbad errs on the side of completely breaking mods that it doesn't know about.

Breaks how? CTD on launch, or just non-functional ingame content?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Apparently there's a drop-in mod for a bunch of versions that papers over the Bleeding Pipe RCE.

https://modrinth.com/mod/pipeblocker

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Mooktastical posted:

Breaks how? CTD on launch, or just non-functional ingame content?

Depends on how the mod responds to exceptions thrown during deserialization, I think.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Apparently there's a drop-in mod for a bunch of versions that papers over the Bleeding Pipe RCE.

https://modrinth.com/mod/pipeblocker

The SerializationIsBad people are mad at the PipeBlocker people for rushing their announcement of the exploit and underestimating how many mods are vulnerable. Looking at PipeBlocker's configuration file, it seems to be missing a bunch.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
I dunno how much folks are familiar with Sevtech ages but I am in Age 2 (whatever the one with Iron is called) and I really need a decent storage solution because I despise having to keep track of items from dozens of mods, do I have any options available at this point for sorting, or basically anything a bit more potent than vanilla chests? I have access to drawers but seemingly no way to like, dump inventory somewhere to have it distributed to the various drawers.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Do drawers not have a storage controller? With that (and a pipe) you could set up an input chest that would then all go to the drawers by linking them to the controller.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Do drawers not have a storage controller? With that (and a pipe) you could set up an input chest that would then all go to the drawers by linking them to the controller.

from what I can tell, no.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
The drawers mod has a controller normally, but I don't remember what Sevtech does regarding that.
Personally I just used like ten chests. It was enough.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Given how older SevTech packs work, you probably get the controller just as you start reaching the "ok, this is loving irritating" point.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

for item storage that point is 'instant'

whenever possible i cheat in a creative cell ME system and feel nothing

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

back at it in gtnh. I finally got my liquid cooled thorium reactor to turn on and off automatically based on storage levels without (and this bit is critical) running out of distilled water and exploding the LHE. I'm not sure why, but my system chews through tens of buckets of water whenever it starts up and the one single block MV distillery I was using to top up distilled water was absolutely not cutting it. bit the bullet and just accepted the losses and converted to a MB distillery. ah well.

also "mostly" "finished" my rudimentary ore processing area! i know separating out each process to its own subnet with interfaces is the more robust solution, but i didn't want to spend so much on upfront costs and opted first for a minimally functional system. throughput is pretty low, I haven't bothered with accel cards on many ME buses nor upgrades for the bits of ender conduits i'm connecting things with. also obviously need to move to GT++ multiblocks/PAs for a few of those slower processes (looking at you, macerators and ore washers).

and i'll include some shots of the rest of my base. will i ever build proper walls and ceilings?? who can say

here's my fluid storage and distribution. building vertically with additional staircases instead of out.

keeping the blue/black theme, this is my fluid automation/processing area. unsure how i'll expand , but this will be happening soon i'm sure

entryway and portal back to overworld. i guess i had wheel of time on the brain when i was building this

looking the other direction from the entry, this is the central AE2 control center plus the requisite wall of drawers. unsure where the rest of this AE2 stuff will go, but i wasn't feeling creative and had a pressing need to AE2 so they get to crowd this space "for now"

beginnings of my autocrafting area. note the pressing need for PAs and GT++ multiblocks. PA for assembling machine and laser engraver are my top priority atm.

and lastly the dedicated room i built for my main AE2 controller. subnet for ME p2ps is through the floor. all my AE2 cabling is running under the flooring

:discourse:

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

OwlFancier posted:

I was literally just looking in this thread to see if anyone had done anything similar, I liked the physicality of thaumcraft and the focus on building nice looking structures.

Closest thing that's given the same feeling is probably Create, but I wish there was something more like TC with its focus on finding stuff, collecting it, refining it in smallish quantities, and finding places in the world to set up based on where the natural nodes are and stuff.

Or capturing several nodes and installing them in your base next to the fast-forward stopwatch from ProjectE, so any operations with it happen more or less instantaneously and you can get an infinite experience glitch with the Thaumic Horizons Soul Sieve and a Brain in a Jar. :q:

/edit: And if you're playing with Chromaticraft, dump a bunch of nodes in a Rainbow Forest biome and forget about them until they all have 500-1000 of each aspect, since nodes will naturally expand in that biome.

RocketMermaid fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Aug 7, 2023

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Patware posted:

for item storage that point is 'instant'

whenever possible i cheat in a creative cell ME system and feel nothing

Minecrafts inventory has reached a level of crufty uselessness for vanilla at this point and has been insufficient for mods since 1.6 at the least if not earlier.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

I would recommend 64k AE2 fluid cells over super tanks. Cheaper on circuits and hold way more. A 64k fluid cell can hold 134 million mb of a liquid for way less circuits then even a 64 million mb super tank. Also my hats off to you for making it to IV (assuming this because of the ender chest) without an ore processing system.

On GTNH AE2 How would I get items that get processed in a subnetwork to be sent back to the main network? For example I have sand that get generated from my endstone dust being processed on a subnetwork. I want that sand to go back into the main network into the super chest I have setup for all my sand. Right now the sand just sits on the subnetwork and can be seen by the main network. Only way I can think of is to setup an export bus off the subnetwork into an interface on the main network with what I want to have feed back into the actual system proper.

Holyshoot fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Aug 9, 2023

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Holyshoot posted:

On GTNH AE2 How would I get items that get processed in a subnetwork to be sent back to the main network? For example I have sand that get generated from my endstone dust being processed on a subnetwork. I want that sand to go back into the main network into the super chest I have setup for all my sand. Right now the sand just sits on the subnetwork and can be seen by the main network. Only way I can think of is to setup an export bus off the subnetwork into an interface on the main network with what I want to have feed back into the actual system proper.

Put a storage bus on the subnetwork, set its priority high, make it insert-only, and put sand on the whitelist. Have it dump into a main network interface.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Holyshoot posted:

I would recommend 64k AE2 fluid cells over super tanks. Cheaper on circuits and hold way more. A 64k fluid cell can hold 134 million mb of a liquid for way less circuits then even a 64 million mb super tank. Also my hats off to you for making it to IV (assuming this because of the ender chest) without an ore processing system.

Yeah, digitizing my fluid storage and i/o is on the agenda, but it feels like a ton of effort given i'm using eio conduits for literally every fluid process in my base. i'm gonna have to tear everything up and craft a buttload of fluid import/export/storage buses soooo..... yeah. gonna just stick with my GT/eio solution for now. i'm actually not totally sold on the value of keeping tons of fluids on hand for processing. it's kind of like power in that if your generation doesn't keep up with expenditure you'll have to fix it sooner or later anyway.

also yeah i'm basically in IV. i've not automated platline beyond platinum or made my first IV energy hatch, but i've made plenty of IV-based multiblocks and turned in enough bags to have some ender chests/tanks and dimensional transceivers. i basically just couldn't bring myself to design an ore processing system before i could make a few of the GT++ mbs and my autocrafting could handle the circuit requirement for building out that much infra at once. naturally every goal i added spawned ten different sub-goals on the way and here i am, finally doing it after moving my whole base in IV. if you can believe it, my entire ore processing line prior in my old base relied on a single HV macerator. i also gathered the vast majority of my materials with an MV single block miner, at least until t3 rocket. i play super slow.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Hooplah posted:

Yeah, digitizing my fluid storage and i/o is on the agenda, but it feels like a ton of effort given i'm using eio conduits for literally every fluid process in my base. i'm gonna have to tear everything up and craft a buttload of fluid import/export/storage buses soooo..... yeah. gonna just stick with my GT/eio solution for now. i'm actually not totally sold on the value of keeping tons of fluids on hand for processing. it's kind of like power in that if your generation doesn't keep up with expenditure you'll have to fix it sooner or later anyway.

also yeah i'm basically in IV. i've not automated platline beyond platinum or made my first IV energy hatch, but i've made plenty of IV-based multiblocks and turned in enough bags to have some ender chests/tanks and dimensional transceivers. i basically just couldn't bring myself to design an ore processing system before i could make a few of the GT++ mbs and my autocrafting could handle the circuit requirement for building out that much infra at once. naturally every goal i added spawned ten different sub-goals on the way and here i am, finally doing it after moving my whole base in IV. if you can believe it, my entire ore processing line prior in my old base relied on a single HV macerator. i also gathered the vast majority of my materials with an MV single block miner, at least until t3 rocket. i play super slow.

I am in the same boat except I did a ore processing with single blocks (multiples) based on the wiki version using enderio. Then in IV I converted it all over to multiblocks (need another mb centrifuge to keep up with this endstone dust not hogging all of the centrifuge) and slowy converting it to using just AE2. I def feel you on the one goal spawning a boat load of other goals.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Put a storage bus on the subnetwork, set its priority high, make it insert-only, and put sand on the whitelist. Have it dump into a main network interface.

Worked perfect. Ty!

Holyshoot fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Aug 10, 2023

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.

Hooplah posted:

You don't need to rip out your fluid conduits overnight. Just add new stuff via AE and phase out the conduits naturally as those old setups organically become obsolete anyway. Having one big "welp, I have AE now, all this old poo poo has to go!" moment is just as pointless as people who think when you move up a voltage tier you should immediately upgrade all your old machines with no regard for what actually needs replacing. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, but at the same time, if something is on your conduit network and is getting in the way of something you're trying to do with AE, don't hesitate to let them commingle, either. A bunch of the infra I set up in HV is still on EIO conduits, but personally I gradually started moving the output tanks (for various petrochem products + oxygen/nitrogen/hydrogen, in my case) to parts of the conduit network that put them in easy reach of AE and slapped fluid storage buses on them. So the conduits still serve their purpose, but the fluids I wanted on my AE got added to my AE pretty painlessly as the need arose.

The main thing is just don't actively try to expand whatever basewide conduit network your stuff was running on before because as your production/consumption needs grow they become worse and worse for performance in that situation. Not to mention the higher tier ender fluid conduits are far more annoying to mass produce when you need the extra thoroughput than AE cables.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Am I doing this right for my ore proc network for GTNH AE2?

I have all my ore/crushed/impure/pure sitting in disk drives on a subnetwork. I then run a line from that system to a storage bus with a high priority ore dictionary card set to "dustPure* | dustImpure*" and bidirectional (so I can see what all I have needing to be processed) into a ME chest with a 64k disk in it that is acting like it's own network. From that chest a cable goes into a Stocking input bus hooked into an industrial centrifuge that is set to see the ME network contents (in this case it's what's ever in that chest). Then there is a ME output bus hooked into the orc proc subnetwork where the output goes.

This example was for centrifuge materials but is this more or less how I'd setup the other multi block machines as well? Trying to see if I have the right idea. If I do I am aware for some I'll need to also add to the ore dictionary card stuff I want filtered to not get touched. Like pure Galena ore for indium.

Also I just have my AE2 power start point hooked into a 4A luv cable that can at max pull 16amps of IV. Right now my AE system is pulling 1.3k EU. How does it work when it goes past amp thresholds in power use like 2048 and so on? Do I just have to consider that amp in my calculations down the line to other machines?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Holyshoot posted:

Am I doing this right for my ore proc network for GTNH AE2?

I have all my ore/crushed/impure/pure sitting in disk drives on a subnetwork. I then run a line from that system to a storage bus with a high priority ore dictionary card set to "dustPure* | dustImpure*" and bidirectional (so I can see what all I have needing to be processed) into a ME chest with a 64k disk in it that is acting like it's own network. From that chest a cable goes into a Stocking input bus hooked into an industrial centrifuge that is set to see the ME network contents (in this case it's what's ever in that chest). Then there is a ME output bus hooked into the orc proc subnetwork where the output goes.

This example was for centrifuge materials but is this more or less how I'd setup the other multi block machines as well? Trying to see if I have the right idea. If I do I am aware for some I'll need to also add to the ore dictionary card stuff I want filtered to not get touched. Like pure Galena ore for indium.

Also I just have my AE2 power start point hooked into a 4A luv cable that can at max pull 16amps of IV. Right now my AE system is pulling 1.3k EU. How does it work when it goes past amp thresholds in power use like 2048 and so on? Do I just have to consider that amp in my calculations down the line to other machines?

How you do your oreproc will depend highly on what version you're on. Do you have the new stocking input bus mode?

Turning this on will allow the stocking input bus to automatically populate its left side with any item in the network it's on. I haven't gotten around to proper oreproc yet, as I got sucked down a huge nitrobenzene rabbit hole, but when I do, I'm going to set up a subnetwork for each processing step that has dedicated storage and relies on this new stocking input bus mode to do processing. Everything will flow in and out of a central bus network with a bunch of oredict cards and manual whitelists for various steps.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Holyshoot posted:

I just have my AE2 power start point hooked into a 4A luv cable that can at max pull 16amps of IV. Right now my AE system is pulling 1.3k EU. How does it work when it goes past amp thresholds in power use like 2048 and so on? Do I just have to consider that amp in my calculations down the line to other machines?

It works pretty much like you'd expect. It doesn't care about voltage directly, but obviously it's going to request more amps to keep up with a lower voltage as needed to meet the power demand. Assuming your powergen is centralized giving your AE its own hatch on your LSC would pretty well take the thought out of it.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Toadsmash posted:

It works pretty much like you'd expect. It doesn't care about voltage directly, but obviously it's going to request more amps to keep up with a lower voltage as needed to meet the power demand. Assuming your powergen is centralized giving your AE its own hatch on your LSC would pretty well take the thought out of it.

That's a great idea actually and I think I'll set that up.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

How you do your oreproc will depend highly on what version you're on. Do you have the new stocking input bus mode?

Turning this on will allow the stocking input bus to automatically populate its left side with any item in the network it's on. I haven't gotten around to proper oreproc yet, as I got sucked down a huge nitrobenzene rabbit hole, but when I do, I'm going to set up a subnetwork for each processing step that has dedicated storage and relies on this new stocking input bus mode to do processing. Everything will flow in and out of a central bus network with a bunch of oredict cards and manual whitelists for various steps.

I do have this, I am on 2.3.2. So in essence I am doing it correct because when I turn that on the bus sees everything in that ME chest beforehand.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
I think im giving up on Sevtech ages, the sheer amount of "go get this thing that only spawns in a specific biome" followed by hours of searching so I can progress just sucks.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Ash Rose posted:

I think im giving up on Sevtech ages, the sheer amount of "go get this thing that only spawns in a specific biome" followed by hours of searching so I can progress just sucks.

They don't have a nature's compass?

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

High chance it's heavily gated if it does exist in the pack. I didn't play much of Sevtech, but even Journeymap capability was painfully gated.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

I finally decided to migrate my Prism install to a portable one, which has had the bizarre side effect of completely breaking Create Astral by way of REI:
code:
java.lang.RuntimeException: Could not execute entrypoint stage 'main' due to errors, provided by 'roughlyenoughitems'!
	at net.fabricmc.loader.impl.entrypoint.EntrypointUtils.lambda$invoke0$0(EntrypointUtils.java:51)
	at net.fabricmc.loader.impl.util.ExceptionUtil.gatherExceptions(ExceptionUtil.java:33)
	at net.fabricmc.loader.impl.entrypoint.EntrypointUtils.invoke0(EntrypointUtils.java:49)
	at net.fabricmc.loader.impl.entrypoint.EntrypointUtils.invoke(EntrypointUtils.java:35)
	at net.fabricmc.loader.impl.game.minecraft.Hooks.startClient(Hooks.java:52)
	at net.minecraft.class_310.<init>(class_310.java:452)
	at net.minecraft.client.main.Main.main(Main.java:197)
	at net.fabricmc.loader.impl.game.minecraft.MinecraftGameProvider.launch(MinecraftGameProvider.java:468)
	at net.fabricmc.loader.impl.launch.knot.Knot.launch(Knot.java:74)
	at net.fabricmc.loader.impl.launch.knot.KnotClient.main(KnotClient.java:23)
	at org.prismlauncher.launcher.impl.StandardLauncher.launch(StandardLauncher.java:88)
	at org.prismlauncher.EntryPoint.listen(EntryPoint.java:126)
	at org.prismlauncher.EntryPoint.main(EntryPoint.java:71)
Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Failed to initialize REI entry point:
<etc.> 
None of the other modpacks using REI have broken, and reinstalling does nothing to fix this one. Java sure does come up with novel ways of breaking.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Holyshoot posted:

They don't have a nature's compass?

As far as I could tell the compass only detects like, 8 biomes with no way of changing what it detects, and like 3 of them are variations of the darklands.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
This is the most useful information for finding biomes in Sevtech:
https://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeast/comments/8crpq4/sevtech_heatmap_breakdown/

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

MonkeyforaHead posted:

None of the other modpacks using REI have broken, and reinstalling does nothing to fix this one. Java sure does come up with novel ways of breaking.
This might be a little irrational, but even though I have a ton of modpacks archived in MultiMC, I still get a little nervous when I go back and launch one for the first time in a long while, worried that some change in Java, or MultiMC, or some fault in a mod (version update checkers that can no longer contact their sites are often trouble) will trigger some kind of cascading failure that results in messed up config files and a corrupt world. The whole system has often felt rather fragile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Ok, so this is more a vanilla question than a modded, but how far can you push villager trades? Trying to do a stone->emerald setup with Easy Villagers and want to make it as good as possible via conversion. So far I'm at 26. I can't find a resource for this, oddly. It's also kind of annoying since the the bonus happiness obfuscates the actual final trade value.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Aug 18, 2023