Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

The MMA match has an average score of 3,36/10 on Cagematch, which I didn't think was even possible for WWE matches. Just how unspeakably awful was it to break into the Forbidden Numbers?

It was loving terrible. No idea what they were trying to accomplish with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
they learned the wrong lesson from brawl for all

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Intruder posted:

I feel like every facet of WWE booking can be boiled down to "They learned the wrong lesson from _____"

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Intruder posted:

Aside from "don't do this", what is the right lesson from brawl for all?

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Don't gently caress with Butterbean

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
is Butterbean okay?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

That’s it

The immediate reaction to it from even fans then was “oh this poo poo Sucks”. That wasn’t a fluke, they need to quit thinking it is

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

forkboy84 posted:

that was the lesson

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Codependent Poster posted:

It was loving terrible. No idea what they were trying to accomplish with that.

thought this was about brock lesnar's dick

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Miching Mallecho posted:

Can't wait for the Jimmy vs Jey match and the one who wins is the one to lose to Roman at...I don't know, the event after payback, hell in a cell?

And then after it's Solo's turn to lose to Roman, this culminates in Roman vs Cody II at mania in which...Roman wins :lol:

its so great that the go-to story beat for this has been "hey let's have an uso fight Roman reigns" as if anyone in the entire world believes for a second that an uso is gonna beat Roman reigns for real, so there's no tension just the inevitable, and it takes two episodes of TV worth of time to get there

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

yea ok posted:

Don't gently caress with Butterbean

thought this was about brock lesnar's dick

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Cody will lose at WM40 because it's time to give the rub to LA Knight... who will lose at Summerslam because it's time to give the rub to someone else

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

i know you post on a massive delay but Summerslam was two days ago and LA knight won

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Do we know what the LA stands for

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Large rear end

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Ligma bAlls

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lost Again

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Live Adder

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Loves Apples

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

Library Access

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Literally A

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I've never really watched modern wrestling, but I watched the first match of summerslam between Jake Paul the Maverick and Ricochet. Is all of modern wrestling like this? There wasn't a lot of submission holding, chops, or stomps. It would be hiptoss then mug at the camera for 10 seconds. Not even a lot of crowd work.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Mr Hootington posted:

I've never really watched modern wrestling, but I watched the first match of summerslam between Jake Paul the Maverick and Ricochet. Is all of modern wrestling like this? There wasn't a lot of submission holding, chops, or stomps. It would be hiptoss then mug at the camera for 10 seconds. Not even a lot of crowd work.

It varies greatly by promotion and wrestler, but what you described is very much the WWE house style. They force most of their wrestlers to work that way.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
wwe, in particular, has almost a grudge against highlighting wrestling as part of their whole deal and frequently treats it as the least important thing on the show. it might be representative of what 'mainstream modern US wrestling' has been for the last decade or two, but there's a lot more to what's happening with modern wrestling around the world. even in the US there's been a renaissance with AEW, which is pretty much the first significant competitor WWE/F has had since WCW was a thing and showcases a variety of modern wrestling styles on the regular

if you want people to throw links at you at stuff to check out i'd head over to the general wrestling question thread for overall suggestions + the pinned AEW primer thread for stuff about that promotion specifically (or the current AEW discussion thread)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I’ve never really eaten food, but I ate an old McDonald’s burger out of a dumpster. Is all of modern food like this?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Mr Hootington posted:

I didn't watch that match or even much of the build but from my understanding their goal was to make gifs more than anything. The feud was mostly based on the two of them jumping into each other at the Royal Rumble, you can find the spot if you search it on youtube. In a more macro sense, modern wrestling is a lot more about high spots but you can definitely find wrestlers who specialize in the stuff you're talking about in mainstream promotions.

I'm not gonna do the cliche bit where I just instantly recommend AEW to you and instead first I'm going to ask 1) Who are some of your favorite wrestlers and matches? And 2) Do you even want some examples of that kind of stuff in modern wrestling or were you just curious?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Logan Paul and Ricochet are guys who do big moves and not much else. Later in the show there was a match with submissions and chops between Drew and Gunther.

Gunther's matches are different than most WWE matches though.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Gunther (as WALTER) VS druganov was an amazing match that was extremely hard hitting and old-school with minimal mugging for the camera, just an insanely good knock down drag out fight.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

is pepsi ok posted:

It varies greatly by promotion and wrestler, but what you described is very much the WWE house style. They force most of their wrestlers to work that way.

Ok. That is a shame.

flatluigi posted:

wwe, in particular, has almost a grudge against highlighting wrestling as part of their whole deal and frequently treats it as the least important thing on the show. it might be representative of what 'mainstream modern US wrestling' has been for the last decade or two, but there's a lot more to what's happening with modern wrestling around the world. even in the US there's been a renaissance with AEW, which is pretty much the first significant competitor WWE/F has had since WCW was a thing and showcases a variety of modern wrestling styles on the regular

if you want people to throw links at you at stuff to check out i'd head over to the general wrestling question thread for overall suggestions + the pinned AEW primer thread for stuff about that promotion specifically (or the current AEW discussion thread)

I've looked at AEW before when people recommend it, but I balk at having to purchase another subscription.

MJeff posted:

I'm not gonna do the cliche bit where I just instantly recommend AEW to you and instead first I'm going to ask 1) Who are some of your favorite wrestlers and matches? And 2) Do you even want some examples of that kind of stuff in modern wrestling or were you just curious?

I've only watched 3 full years of wrestling 1985-1987 NWA. I have seen some clips of later stuff running into the attitude era and some John Cena or randy Orton. Again just clips. My favs would be guys or matches from the JCP NWA era at the moment since that is all I've watched. I have been posting about all this in the wcw history thread since it seemed the most appropriate.

I was more just curious about what modern wrestling was like compared to that old stuff I've been watching. They are completely different and I don't know if I like it. Maybe as I watch more and approach the modern era it will grow on me. I just couldn't believe the ring even sounded different.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Mr Hootington posted:

Ok. That is a shame.

I've looked at AEW before when people recommend it, but I balk at having to purchase another subscription.

I've only watched 3 full years of wrestling 1985-1987 NWA. I have seen some clips of later stuff running into the attitude era and some John Cena or randy Orton. Again just clips. My favs would be guys or matches from the JCP NWA era at the moment since that is all I've watched. I have been posting about all this in the wcw history thread since it seemed the most appropriate.

I was more just curious about what modern wrestling was like compared to that old stuff I've been watching. They are completely different and I don't know if I like it. Maybe as I watch more and approach the modern era it will grow on me. I just couldn't believe the ring even sounded different.

Honestly, modern wrestling is all over the place (although it always has been. Go from watching JCP to the same week's WWF TV & instantly feel bad). WWE is very...WWE. The old rapist in charge is deeply embarrassed to be in the wrestling business, despite it having made him grotesquely wealthy, so that plays into a lot of it. It's very much not old school wrasslin', Vince McMahon loathes wrasslin'. AEW meanwhile is very much the opposite, Tony Khan is a wrestling nerd who used to post on the Death Valley Driver forums, which was/is a very nerdy place for talking about wrestling, he adores early '80s Mid South/UWF & ECW & Japanese stuff he'd watch on tapes & so on. So while it's very much a contemporary product, there's I think more elements that would feel familiar in the structure of the programming. Somewhat. Obviously it's 35+ years later & the industry is wildly different, in the '80s the house show business was where the money was & TV was about getting fans to go to the arenas, then gradually it became a PPV business & weekly TV through the '90s is about getting you to buy the PPVs, especially once they go monthly. And now all the money is in the TV rights themselves, so you get many more big matches on television than you would expect to see on TBS at 6:05pm in 1988.

And then the US indies are all their own thing, closer stylistically to AEW generally but usually rougher round the edges & often different because it's not made for TV so the format is different. And there's wrestling from other countries, often with their own feel & way of doing things like in Mexico & Japan.

If you want an actual grasp of the best of in-ring action from 2023, we've got the 2023's Best and Worst Pro-Wrestling Matches of the Year thread where people post their recommendations. Sometimes including links to view the match on Russian or Chinese social media sites because god bless their lack of interest in copyright law. I'd also add that every single episode of AEW TV is up on archive.org if that's something you want to try out at some point. Not the Pay Per Views, but they are up on VKontakte

I'll link directly to my own post from the start of July which has my top 10 matches of the year to date, all with timestamped links. It's all from Japan because that's what I watch at the moment but hey, it's a starting point

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

Honestly, modern wrestling is all over the place (although it always has been. Go from watching JCP to the same week's WWF TV & instantly feel bad). WWE is very...WWE. The old rapist in charge is deeply embarrassed to be in the wrestling business, despite it having made him grotesquely wealthy, so that plays into a lot of it. It's very much not old school wrasslin', Vince McMahon loathes wrasslin'. AEW meanwhile is very much the opposite, Tony Khan is a wrestling nerd who used to post on the Death Valley Driver forums, which was/is a very nerdy place for talking about wrestling, he adores early '80s Mid South/UWF & ECW & Japanese stuff he'd watch on tapes & so on. So while it's very much a contemporary product, there's I think more elements that would feel familiar in the structure of the programming. Somewhat. Obviously it's 35+ years later & the industry is wildly different, in the '80s the house show business was where the money was & TV was about getting fans to go to the arenas, then gradually it became a PPV business & weekly TV through the '90s is about getting you to buy the PPVs, especially once they go monthly. And now all the money is in the TV rights themselves, so you get many more big matches on television than you would expect to see on TBS at 6:05pm in 1988.

And then the US indies are all their own thing, closer stylistically to AEW generally but usually rougher round the edges & often different because it's not made for TV so the format is different. And there's wrestling from other countries, often with their own feel & way of doing things like in Mexico & Japan.

If you want an actual grasp of the best of in-ring action from 2023, we've got the 2023's Best and Worst Pro-Wrestling Matches of the Year thread where people post their recommendations. Sometimes including links to view the match on Russian or Chinese social media sites because god bless their lack of interest in copyright law. I'd also add that every single episode of AEW TV is up on archive.org if that's something you want to try out at some point. Not the Pay Per Views, but they are up on VKontakte

I'll link directly to my own post from the start of July which has my top 10 matches of the year to date, all with timestamped links. It's all from Japan because that's what I watch at the moment but hey, it's a starting point

Thanks for the informative post. I'm always interested in spoiler free behind the scenes stuff. I will check out archive.org for aew stuff. Had no idea everything was on there and that really peaked my interest. Really appreciate that tip a lot.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Butterbean is unrecognizable

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I feel this shot was overhyped you cant even see hog

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Loved that Cody and Brock feud. Can’t think of a guy who got put over by Brock as much, even Roman didn’t go three matches in a row and win 2 of them, and no one has gotten his hand raised by arguably the most dominantly booked guy of the modern era. Pinned him clean too, I can ride on this high for a month.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Mr Hootington posted:

Ok. That is a shame.

If you want some guidance on the quality stuff that you might have missed in the decades between NWA and now, and why it's influential/good, I can't recommend enough Joseph Monticello's channel on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/@JosephMontecilloYT/videos

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Lymphoma rear end

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

History Comes Inside! posted:

Do we know what the LA stands for

It's La, as in the French word, they just keep capitalizing the A because otherwise Vince will confuse him with La Résistance

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I'd say that with modern wrestling you get a lot of different styles of matches, not only between companies but inside them as well. Most WWE matches have the same feeling or formula, but there are exceptions. And depending on the wrestlers involved, they can elevate the material.

So I'd say to look out for wrestlers you like who might fit with the style you prefer. They could be on WWE or AEW or wherever.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
It's LA by Knight, the by is silent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

JUNGLE BOY posted:

WWE proved short form content was worthless when Tout was not the success it should have been

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7G4izIc9XQ