Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I typed "whomst amongst us" then deleted it, you degenerates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Tree Bucket posted:

Whomst amongst us didnt

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Tree Bucket posted:

coward

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
not all of us have the talent to draw shapely boobs and appreciate those amongst us

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

not all of us have the talent to draw shapely boobs and appreciate those amongst us

But if I could draw I absolutely would draw shapely boobs.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

ultrafilter posted:

But if I could draw I absolutely would draw shapely boobs.
Whompst among us

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Kill Six Billion Demons

Alt: Getting close to the end of this book!

quote:

“Keep all friends close, but especially keep the closest very tight inside you, next to your heart, where they can easily wound you. In time you will find the vulnerability to become a source of strength.”

-Dediam, Ascetic

Zaid: *ollies out*

Also, oh hey, a shard from Cio's mask

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
^^^ Zaid riding his sword. :3:

Tree Bucket posted:

reading, you put more care into your floorboards than most artists put into an entire page. It's breathtaking

Thanks! It was a huge pain in the rear end but also kind of fun to draw at the same time.

John Doe

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that
Prince Valiant in the Days of King Arthur (March 23-30, 1941)

A lot of good stuff in this update. Val being teased for being a bad diver, the great detail on the boats, shadow-occluded nudity, Val giving silent movie protagonist in the last panel.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

readingatwork posted:

^^^ Zaid riding his sword. :3:

you know he's putting on the mask because he wants to seem badass, and the effect would be ruined if the reader could see that he's giggling like a toddler and going "whee!"

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Loving Zaid's chuuni phase

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021
Is 'whom amongst us' less correct than 'whomst among us' and, if so, why?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

They're both grammatically incorrect, but "whom" is a pretty standard word while "whomst" is very archaic and is chiefly used for jokes.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

whomst amongst ust

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
The correct usage of English is whichever usage you're using right now. That's the beauty of the language. Steal a new word or three, mash conjugations together, verb nouns!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Whomongus

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

rocketbrah
Sep 24, 2003

it's peanut butter
⚡ MORPHIN' TIME ⚡
Whomst ඞ

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
as far as I can tell, the etymology of "amongst" is literally "among, but with a couple extra letters to make it sound fancy." It's called an excrescent.

by that logic, whomst is a perfectly cromulent word as soon as we've decided that it is

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
If they knew what you meant, it's correct

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
Whompst! (There It Is)

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
though if you want to get into the boring weeds, the joke is that "who among us" is a common phrase, which carries the implication that the listener/reader is capable of finishing the thought from context, like "who among us is without sin" or "who among us does not enjoy drawing shapely boobs;" everyone understands what is meant

What so often happens when a phrase becomes common, is that people with a loose understanding of grammar want to fancy it up, so they might say "whom among us" to denote that they have deeper thoughts than those who use the plebeian "who." This sounds dumb, so soon people started derisively turning it into "whom amongst us" to deliberately indicate that they are speaking as an idiot who thinks they're smart, which soon gave rise to the more ludicrous "whomst among us" and, eventually "whomst amongst ust."

"Whom amongst us" is technically grammatically correct, if you ignore the sticklers who say that no fragmented sentence is ever correct, if it occupies the objective grammatical case in the implied sentence, for e.g. "to whom amongst us has this not happened?" I'm pretty sure it's never actually the case.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I just think 'whomst' has a funnier sound

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Have a thing:

The Food Goblin lives!

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

we love the food goblin, don't we folks

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta

Explodingdice
Jun 28, 2023

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

we love the food goblin, don't we folks

The food goblin came to me, tears in her eyes, and said to me, I'll never forget folks, she said "fushuu."

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!
Anyone else wondering if Zaid can do a kickflip on that sword?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Tree Bucket posted:

I really don't know where Djinn is going. Perhaps the artist simply enjoys drawing shapely boobs.
you have my sword

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

pseudosavior posted:

Anyone else wondering if Zaid can do a kickflip on that sword?
I am not wondering this because he obviously can

(the Chinese tradition is that flying swords are controlled by qi so you can do anything you can think of)

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that
Timelets

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Extra Ordinary

Santa Claus, also known as Saint Nicholas, Saint Nick, Kris Kringle, Father Christmas, Shoelace, or simply Santa (Santy in Hiberno-English), is a surprisingly diminutive figure of Western culture who is said to bring gifts and scratches to the homes of well-behaved ("good" or "nice") Lis on Christmas Eve (24 December) and the early morning hours of Christmas Day (25 December)

*produces fork* alright, what are we having?

Thanks, Treedad!

it doesn't smell cursed...

how would you rate your arrest experience?

what kind of monster tags a snail?

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES

Eggy hears ya, Eggy don't care

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Previously on Tales of the Beanworld, a Cutie got on top of the open lid of the Pod'l'pool...

Giving weapons to children, are we

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Kids with spears.
Kids with spears.
Taking over.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

I am sorry but I have to hit you with the Better Without The Last Panel-hammer. There are ALWAYS some sorry grapes left in the bowl.

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

until they sit there too long and slime the bottom of the bowl and then you gotta throw em away before you get gnats or ants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Register Cat

--

Q-Rais Talks to Himself