Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

FreudianSlippers posted:

I love people doing research in libraries in horror.

I don't generally like it, but my favourite ever example of a horror loredump is in the movie Clown when the monster is shown as the ancient "Cloyne" in a centuries old book. It got a smile out of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

My ideal, perfect horror movie would be almost entirely spent running between various historical societies and libraries in a haunted town. Like The Ghost Writer but with a bunch of actual ghosts.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah my perfect horror movie is a group of scientist investigating some supernatural occurence and discovering sinister occult forces. Preferably there's a scene where they hook up a bunch of machines that have readings and dials and poo poo. Also maybe there's a scene where someones doing math.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
may I recommend a little know film. A hidden gem, if you will: Ghostbusters

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Hollismason posted:

Yeah my perfect horror movie is a group of scientist investigating some supernatural occurence and discovering sinister occult forces. Preferably there's a scene where they hook up a bunch of machines that have readings and dials and poo poo. Also maybe there's a scene where someones doing math.

Astronauts would be pretty sick too.

Some spoopy space mysteries.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

As someone who often spends hours in research libraries pouring through annals and other ancient tomes looking for info on the supernatural for fun I can relate to horror characters doing the same to save their lives.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Talk to Me was real good. I love that premise, Teen idiots get ahold of a cursed artifact and use it to get high is such a simple yet underused idea

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

WHY BONER NOW posted:

may I recommend a little know film. A hidden gem, if you will: Ghostbusters

You mean the show with the gorilla? They made a movie out of that?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Hollismason posted:

With a small tweak that's basically Stephen King's Rose Red. A made for tv miniseries. Still falls into his tropey nonsense like the magical autistic girl, but has some great performances. Emery Summers and Joyce Rheardon are particular standouts as terrible people played well, especially Joyce's absolute madness in how obsessed she is with proving that the evil house is a real thing and not just spooky stories. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92Dwu-ZZyPo

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Aug 7, 2023

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Finally getting around to The Legend of Boggy Creek because I wanted a nice evening movie and people here described it as having a bedtime story quality and yeah I love that descriptor. It's also like if a peaceful educational film was about Bigfoot. This is great stuff.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Baron von Eevl posted:

You mean the show with the gorilla? They made a movie out of that?

Yea it stars Melissa McCarthy

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Best research scene is in The Howling. I wish there was a TV series spinoff of Dick Miller just giving people advice on how to kill supernatural creatures in his rare and antiquarian bookstore every week.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
the worst research scenes are when the characters just Google stuff and we watch them scroll through the results. I mean that’s something people would actually do in real life but in a movie it’s the lamest and laziest form of exposition dump.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I like the one in Suspiria where Udo Kier explains witches as though they were some rare thing nobody had ever heard of

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Opopanax posted:

I like the one in Suspiria where Udo Kier explains witches as though they were some rare thing nobody had ever heard of

i quite like the loredumps in Suspiria 2018 being "oh check out this crazy delusion as well"

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
We tried watching GorillaGhostbusters with my just-turned-11-today nephew over the weekend. He was tensing up at the library ghost, and after Dana found an evil dimension in the fridge, he asked if we could watch something else :shobon:

I can't blame him, I fondly remember watching it repeatedly with my best friend when I was about his age, but still watching that library ghost through half-closed eyes.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
It's scarier than many actual horror movies

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014
I know it's been talked about a while back, but I really, REALLY disliked Insidious: The Red Door. I like 1&2, and think 3 is actually pretty decent (Last Key is a bore tho) but this one was such a huge miss for me. I am just going to copy/paste my letterboxd review below:

- Oof, what a miss! Insidious is a franchise that do like. (minus the Last Key, what a bore.). So when I heard we were getting a 3rd "mainline" film with Patrick set to direct, I was excited to see what he would come up with. And the premise is very solid: Him and Dalton are hypnotized at the end of 2 and made to forget all the spooky things that have happened, in hopes of giving them and the family a normal life. 9 years later, one thing leads to another and both Datlon and Patrick are sucked back into the world of the further. I like this set up a lot and it really seems like a natural continuation of the franchise. There is a lot you could do here, and you probably think you have an idea of what happens. But sadly, the movie instead just kind of meanders messily for about 90 minutes until the "finale" which was maybe the most anticlimactic thing I have ever seen. Here are some things that I did not like

**SPOILERS BELOW**
-Dalton gains access to the "further" via a countdown exercise in his art class. This alone is silly because I am very sure that at some point in the 9 years before that point, someone has counted down from 10.
-Carl has a cameo and really seems like he is going to pop up to help at some point but nah. Same with his dead mom, who I guess would have made an appearance to help.
-The whole subplot dealing with his dad. While it gave some of the better visual scares of the movie, it went absolutely nowhere and was so underbaked.
-There really is no explanation as to why Patrick started getting haunted by his dad in the first place.
-2/3 of the movie is dedicated to Dalton being at college and learning about the further and trying to use it to talk to a dead frat kid and that plot gets dropped with no resolution lmao.
-The movie sets up the big confrontation between the Bride and Red Man but we barely see the two and instead Dalton just kind of gets caught then is saved in the next scene.
-Rose is about to tell Patrick all about the further and the whole ordeal, then it literally cuts to the next scene and he goes "oh wow, I can't believe all of that, super crazy". We don't get to see her tell him and the trauma it unlocked.
-The scene with Elise at the end was garbage. She pops up and says the dumbest poo poo, collects that check and is OUT.
-Painting over the door doesn't really seem to make any sense either since they both now remember everything?

Anyway, it's bad minus like, 2 good visual background cues, and the MRI scene. Most of the decisions and editing are just baffling. They set it up for a new one, and I know a spinoff is in the works, but after this and The Last key I think I am checked out --

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I watched Ghostbusters at like 3 years old, by 12 I was sneaking into theaters to see slashers.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

thatfuturekid posted:

I know it's been talked about a while back, but I really, REALLY disliked Insidious: The Red Door. I like 1&2, and think 3 is actually pretty decent (Last Key is a bore tho) but this one was such a huge miss for me. I am just going to copy/paste my letterboxd review below:

**SPOILERS BELOW**
-Dalton gains access to the "further" via a countdown exercise in his art class. This alone is silly because I am very sure that at some point in the 9 years before that point, someone has counted down from 10.

If I remember rightly, it wasn't just counting down. The instructor had them digging deep inside to uncover forgotten influences while counting down. Dalton was already aware on some level there was something buried deep from when he was a kid and the exercise was just ripping off the mental scab he'd already been picking at.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

davidspackage posted:

We tried watching GorillaGhostbusters with my just-turned-11-today nephew over the weekend. He was tensing up at the library ghost, and after Dana found an evil dimension in the fridge, he asked if we could watch something else :shobon:

I can't blame him, I fondly remember watching it repeatedly with my best friend when I was about his age, but still watching that library ghost through half-closed eyes.

I was a year younger than your nephew when Ghostbusters came out, and will attest that the library ghost put the shitters up me. The cabbie was also pretty disturbing. The rest was quite mild, though.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

had a guy show up to Talk to Me about 15 minutes late, sit right behind my group, loudly exclaim "ohhh, Talk to Me!!!" the first time they performed the ritual, and then perform some of the loudest nose breathing I've ever heard for the rest of the movie. I tried to imagine it was a spooky ghost behind us but it didn't work

Anyway that movie was still really cool though. I loved the weird water imagery and sound related to all the spirits, added a real slimy and gross vibe. I'm trying to decide how much of what was going on can be "solved," or how much was just the spirits just being assholes and/or Mia refusing to accept that her mom simply did kill herself and causing a bunch of trouble as a result.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Saw 3D has a mean streak towards women. The most fair reading I can give to that is its Hoffman's anger at Jill leaking into the rest of the game, but like nah this move is just straight up misogynistic in a way the rest of the series never got close to. Weird!

Anyway despite that last film leaving a bad taste in my mouth and 3 being pretty boring, I enjoyed my time with the rest of the series. But I also have a soft spot for dumb convoluted puzzle plots. Is there any other horror that scratches that type of itch but uh... of a better quality lol?

and remember gang, never go through an unsecured door.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Jedit posted:

I was a year younger than your nephew when Ghostbusters came out, and will attest that the library ghost put the shitters up me. The cabbie was also pretty disturbing. The rest was quite mild, though.

Yeah, I kinda wish we'd tried sticking with it, but it was his parents' call. Maybe he'd have found Zuul attacking Dana quite scary, but the scene where they catch Slimer is great fun, the Zuul chasing Lewis isn't so bad cause he's a funny character, and surely he'd have loved the giant marshmallow man. Oh well, maybe some other time.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
https://i.imgur.com/37VGvj8.mp4 unmute

despite my issues with the rest of 7 this scene is truly cinema. safe. house.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Snooze Cruise posted:

https://i.imgur.com/37VGvj8.mp4 unmute

despite my issues with the rest of 7 this scene is truly cinema. safe. house.

Holy poo poo that feels cheap as hell. This was a theatrically released movie!?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

lol that’s tod from final destination

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

david_a posted:

Holy poo poo that feels cheap as hell. This was a theatrically released movie!?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTgzyx6931A

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

davidspackage posted:

I always did OK with Ghostbusters, but I remember watching Ghostbusters 2 and finding an excuse to leave the room for a minute when they got eaten by the river of pink slime. :ohdear:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I've actually forgotten how bad the SAW films are. Thank you for reminding me.

Von Pluring
Sep 19, 2003

Zelensky's Zealots
Pork Pro

STAC Goat posted:

I've actually forgotten how bad the SAW films are. Thank you for reminding me.

Yeah, straight up garbage. The first one is okay, as a sort of mystery movie with added torture. Heavily inspired by Seven.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Baron von Eevl posted:

Wolfman 2012 has one of my favorite horror movie digging through books montages.

Joe Johnston did a really good job on that, it reminds me most of the Martin Campbell Zorro movies, consciously unfussy throwbacks.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It's a fool's hope to hold out for a director's cut, but I am a fool

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
If you're a fool, you can still dream...

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

feedmyleg posted:

It's a fool's hope to hold out for a director's cut, but I am a fool

I thought there was a director's cut and it introduced some insane continuity error like a character has a conversation with someone and then later in the movie they meet for the first time. Maybe it's just a deleted scene?

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Von Pluring posted:

Yeah, straight up garbage. The first one is okay, as a sort of mystery movie with added torture. Heavily inspired by Seven.

I gave up around the third film. When it started to branch out into the protegees, it felt like the franchise went into :regd08: . Only reason I'm curious about the upcoming one is it's more back to basics.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Detective Hoffman breathed new life into the Saw series, so if you gave up before Saw IV you missed out on one of the better horror villains of the past 20 years.

It's true that the Saw movies look flat and often feel cheap but they make up for it with completely ridiculous soap opera storylines combined with an actual continuity most franchises don't have because the same three guys(or two of the same three guys) were involved in most of the sequels.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Aug 7, 2023

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Crescent Wrench posted:

I always did OK with Ghostbusters, but I remember watching Ghostbusters 2 and finding an excuse to leave the room for a minute when they got eaten by the river of pink slime. :ohdear:

I must have been 4 or 5 the first time I saw Ghostbusters and then I would make my parents rent it weekly and watch it over and over afterwards, but Vigo's big slimy head at the end scared the hell out of me and I could never get into 2 as much

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Opopanax posted:

I must have been 4 or 5 the first time I saw Ghostbusters and then I would make my parents rent it weekly and watch it over and over afterwards, but Vigo's big slimy head at the end scared the hell out of me and I could never get into 2 as much

One of the things about Ghostbusters that is somewhat forgotten now almost 40(!) years later, when it came out home video was really just getting started. When the VHS was released they charged $80 for it, and this was before big rental chains like Blockbuster were prevalent(the first Blockbuster opened in 1985, the same year as the Ghostbusters VHS).

So that was a big part of my first memory of Ghostbusters, my family was not in a position to be spending $80 for a VHS, not to mention we didn't even have a player yet. BUT we did have some friends who had more money than we did and they invited us over for a movie night with the Ghostbusters VHS. At 2 or 3 years old it felt like a massive event to be watching that movie in someone's living room, and I'm guessing that's one reason why my parents allowed me to watch it at that age in the first place.

Probably the best example of how new the VHS market was at that time, Beverly Hills Cop beat Ghostbusters in VHS sales because they sold the Beverly Hills Cop VHS for $30, so Ghostbusters was priced at more than double it's competition. You'd never see anything like that today, the price point of blu rays is pretty well established and nobody every tries to charge more than about $30 unless it's a really nice collectors edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Well criterion does, but those are super nice
And everyone just waits for the 50% off sales anyway