Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favourite Kirby Super Star power?
This poll is closed.
Beam 3 1.79%
Bomb 3 1.79%
Cook 1 0.60%
Copy 3 1.79%
Crash 1 0.60%
Cutter 5 2.98%
Fighter 5 2.98%
Fire 3 1.79%
Hammer 13 7.74%
Ice 3 1.79%
Jet 3 1.79%
Mike (sic) 14 8.33%
Mirror 11 6.55%
Ninja 5 2.98%
Paint 0 0%
Parasol 2 1.19%
Plasma 4 2.38%
Sleep 9 5.36%
Starship 5 2.98%
Stone 6 3.57%
Suplex 22 13.10%
Sword 20 11.90%
Wheel 6 3.57%
Wing 6 3.57%
Yo-Yo 15 8.93%
Total: 168 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Gripweed posted:

Emily beat me by ten EXP. She must've timed completing a lesson so it would happen just 30 seconds before the end of the week, so I wouldn't have time to do a lesson to get ahead. I think I'm going to walk into traffic.

Como se dice "I think I'm going to walk into traffic" en Español?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

wow thats awful im so sad for your loss

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

Voy a caminar hacia el trafico/Voy a caminar adentro del trafico/Voy a caminar en frente del trafico

^meaning either toward/into/in front of traffic. I would say the last one sounds most natural, but none of them convey it quite right I think. It would be easier to say you are going to try to get run over maybe?

trying to top the Duolingo charts without Plus is an exercise in frustration btw. Plus gives you access to super easy extra lessons that give you hundreds of xp

Ramie fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Aug 7, 2023

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

lol at the new, double plus tier of duolingo thats like $40/month to talk to a spanish AI

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Como se dice "I think I'm going to walk into traffic" en Español?

I don't know what those first two words mean, I do know what the third word means but not in that context.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Emily rules

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Gripweed posted:

I don't know what those first two words mean, I do know what the third word means but not in that context.

Emily deserved the win.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Out of ANYTHING from EVO this year you are ABSOLUTELY going to want to watch the top 6 street fighter 6. Holy poo poo just unbelievable, like my heart is pounding in my chest and it's not even at grand finals yet

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Lol sportsball

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

hell of a hustle from Emily, a true duolingo gamer

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Ive been playing FF7R and FF14 on my ps5 lately and they are quite excellent in short PS5 has games

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

WaltherFeng posted:

Ive been playing FF7R and FF14 on my ps5 lately and they are quite excellent in short PS5 has games

Earlier today I thought of dragoons and so I thought about Heavensward....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy3d56W6pWc

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Baldur's Gate III, ladies and gentlemen. It is good. Just finished the Adamantine Forge, what a fun boss fight.

I can't believe I'll be at a work conference for the next two days. The withdrawals are real. :negative:

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Ramie posted:

Voy a caminar hacia el trafico/Voy a caminar adentro del trafico/Voy a caminar en frente del trafico

^meaning either toward/into/in front of traffic. I would say the last one sounds most natural, but none of them convey it quite right I think. It would be easier to say you are going to try to get run over maybe?

trying to top the Duolingo charts without Plus is an exercise in frustration btw. Plus gives you access to super easy extra lessons that give you hundreds of xp

Yeah, in Spanish the more natural way would be "Me voy a tirar al tráfico/Me voy a tirar enfrente de un coche", literally meaning I'm going to throw myself into traffic/in front of a car respectively.

The more usual expression is "Throw myself out of the window" for frustrating/stressing things through.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

exquisite tea posted:

Baldur's Gate III, ladies and gentlemen. It is good. Just finished the Adamantine Forge, what a fun boss fight.

Nothing felt more badass as a monk than standing toe to toe with that guy and really laying into him with giant form + haste + blur. Moon druid support with exposing bite + lae'zel putting them off guard meant that we brought it down in two rounds

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Chev posted:

That bit of dev anecdote/conventional wisdom actually goes all the way back to Half-Life 1. It makes sense, too, a complex internal state isn't gonna be perceived by the player without being surfaced somehow. In a game where the enemy's lifetime is severely limited (since the moment they encounter the player, one of them dies) and their purpose is only killing the player, that's the barks.

Yeah, in some ways the HL2 AI is more complex and can, for example, handle areas without the need for the player-set nodes that the HL1 AI soldiers do, but then the HL1 soldiers are bullet sponges and they also don't shoot on the move, so you really get to percieve their movement and they live long enough for you to see them, whereas you just see the HL2 combine soldier sidestep while shooting, even though the latter is more effective generally. The combine enemies are also less tough than the HL1 grunt soldiers.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Arrrthritis posted:

Nothing felt more badass as a monk than standing toe to toe with that guy and really laying into him with giant form + haste + blur. Moon druid support with exposing bite + lae'zel putting them off guard meant that we brought it down in two rounds

Oh, so you didn't use the One Weird Trick at all? You can lure him into the center then hit the crucible lever to smash him in two hits.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I have a dark, troubling confession to make

I like the N64 controller

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Shinjobi posted:

I have a dark, troubling confession to make

I like the N64 controller

the standard Nintendo gameclaw wasn't grotesque enough imho

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

exquisite tea posted:

Oh, so you didn't use the One Weird Trick at all? You can lure him into the center then hit the crucible lever to smash him in two hits.

We didn't.

When we saw that They had weakness to bludgeoning, it never even occurred to us. Lae'zel had a maul equipped and my guy had the staff of correllon, so between my guy hitting for 18-30 a pop and lae'zel being able to hit for 18-30 (and even higher with feinting strike) it didn't take much to bring it down. It only occurred to us well after the fact that we could do that. Does it still drop the adamantine helmet if you forge him to death?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Arrrthritis posted:

We didn't.

When we saw that They had weakness to bludgeoning, it never even occurred to us. Lae'zel had a maul equipped and my guy had the staff of correllon, so between my guy hitting for 18-30 a pop and lae'zel being able to hit for 18-30 (and even higher with feinting strike) it didn't take much to bring it down. It only occurred to us well after the fact that we could do that. Does it still drop the adamantine helmet if you forge him to death?

Sure does!

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

That's pretty cool.

I'm going to have a really tough time deciding my top 10 for game of the year this year. BG3 is almost certainly #1 at this point, but I was also saying that about FF16 before I finished it (and Age of Wonders 4, and Octopath Traveler 2, and Tears of the Kingdom...)

2023 is almost certainly going to be a Year of the Game.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Red Dead Redemption 1 is coming to PS4 and Switch on the 17th. Just a port.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cpiMH28Z88

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
what? no pc version?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Rockstar seems pretty bad at the whole putting out old games thing

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also I guess this is what everyone thought was gonna be a full remaster/remake lol

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

hatty posted:

Rockstar seems pretty bad at the whole putting out old games thing

I hope it's just as funny as the last time though

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I never played it so I'm ok with this

not sure I feel like a 100 hour open world rn tho

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Also I guess this is what everyone thought was gonna be a full remaster/remake lol

I'm okay with that, but why the hell isn't it on pc or native current gen?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Rinkles posted:

what? no pc version?

Rockstar please.... :negative:

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

haveblue posted:

I never played it so I'm ok with this

not sure I feel like a 100 hour open world rn tho
RDR 1 is nowhere near that.

Rinkles posted:

I'm okay with that, but why the hell isn't it on pc or native current gen?
It's dumb that it's not on PC, but a PS5 version wouldn't add anything. In the absence of any PS5-specific features (and it is a PS3 game after all), a PS4 version is strictly better because it runs on more systems.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Volte posted:

RDR 1 is nowhere near that.

It's dumb that it's not on PC, but a PS5 version wouldn't add anything. In the absence of any PS5-specific features, a PS4 version is strictly better because it runs on more systems.

I mean, likely more frames per second?

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Rinkles posted:

I mean, likely more frames per second?
If the game is able to support above 60 fps then they can still support that on PS5 on the PS4 version. Who knows if they will, but it's not something that requires a dedicated PS5 release (and conversely, there's no guarantee that it would support higher framerates even if they did release a PS5 version).

edit: but if it turns out to be 30 fps then :lol:

Volte fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Aug 7, 2023

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Volte posted:

If the game is able to support above 60 fps then they can still support that on PS5 on the PS4 version. Who knows if they will, but it's not something that requires a dedicated PS5 release (and conversely, there's no guarantee that it would support higher framerates even if they did release a PS5 version).

Even when they get 60fps unlocks, PS4 games via BC are usually compromised compared to what the PS5 could do. Graphic settings, resolution, and load times.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
It's not even a PS4 game, it's a PS3 game. I don't think there's anything the PS5 can do that a straight port of RDR1 is going to be able to take advantage of.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The original game has spaghetti code iirc which is why there was never a PC version. It probably can’t handle an unlocked frame rate

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Volte posted:

It's not even a PS4 game, it's a PS3 game. I don't think there's anything the PS5 can do that a straight port of RDR1 is going to be able to take advantage of.

I doubt it could do 4K60 through BC. If I'm not mistaken, no BC title has been 4K60.

hatty posted:

The original game has spaghetti code iirc which is why there was never a PC version. It probably can’t handle an unlocked frame rate

Obviously I haven't done a thorough QA assessment, but it runs quite well uncapped on Xenia.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Played a 4-hour gaming sesh of co-op bg3 last night, game does rule.

One thing I would really love is a lone wolf mode like dos2 had, where our guys get major bonuses for playing with a small party, because there is definite choice paralysis going on each turn, particularly with the spellcasters and their ten spells each, which I imagine is only going to get worse as they level up.

Most turns right now I feel guilty when I do a simple melee attack instead of a goofier set of actions, like I would love to hit the "improvised melee weapon" button but I can't imagine it's be more effective than a greataxe

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Rinkles posted:

I doubt it could do 4K60 through BC. If I'm not mistaken, no BC title has been 4K60.
There are PS4 games that are 4K60 on PS4 Pro, so those at least should still be 4K60 on PS5. I don't know if there are any that are specifically 4K60 only on PS5 with true native 4K, but I know TLOU2 at least does 4K60 output with an internal 1440p resolution on PS5 when it's only 30fps on PS4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Volte posted:

edit: but if it turns out to be 30 fps then :lol:

Considering Rockstar made no mention of anything but expanded language support, this is what i'm expecting lol.