Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

SlowBloke posted:

I'm confident that all the military stuff cobi does has a bigger user base in adults instead of kids.

You wouldn't be wrong. I want that F-14...

Also Lego just announced a 2083-piece Concorde set, so RIP paycheck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

I have the F14, the original a10(the current model has a nat guard commemorative black coloring that isn't that nice to look at) and the f35b built(along with the polish air force fulcrum and USAF f16c to build). If I had more room(cobi airplanes take a shitload of space) I would have snagged their osprey just to style on my lego building friends.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

This is pretty much it. My wife made a bouquet for her office of a mix of the sets and actually looks really nice ...

To bring it back to aeronautics, the Shuttle Discovery model is amazing and makes a great display item. It will also never be touched by my children.
That looks pretty cool.

I have tons of plastic models (not lego) that I've always been meaning to build, including a 1/72 shuttle, but I just don't have the free time nor the time to properly develop my skill set to do it and others justice. Maybe when I retire. :sigh:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

SlowBloke posted:

I have the F14, the original a10(the current model has a nat guard commemorative black coloring that isn't that nice to look at) and the f35b built(along with the polish air force fulcrum and USAF f16c to build). If I had more room(cobi airplanes take a shitload of space) I would have snagged their osprey just to style on my lego building friends.

I have the Estes Saturn V, that was reissued a bunch of years ago. Haven't built it yet.

Also have a Proctor Enterprises Fokker DR1 triplane R/C kit that I stopped building thirty years ago, when my wife went into labor. Should finish that one someday.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

PainterofCrap posted:

I have the Estes Saturn V, that was reissued a bunch of years ago. Haven't built it yet.

Also have a Proctor Enterprises Fokker DR1 triplane R/C kit that I stopped building thirty years ago, when my wife went into labor. Should finish that one someday.

Trying to remember if it was that or one of the Neuport kits that my dad gave up on because it required him to learn how to steam plywood for the turtle decks. Either way, best of luck building six wings worth of Proctor ribs.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

https://estesrockets.com/products/mean-machine

:unsmith:

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

I just got this for Father's Day :getin:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Ardeem posted:

Trying to remember if it was that or one of the Neuport kits that my dad gave up on because it required him to learn how to steam plywood for the turtle decks. Either way, best of luck building six wings worth of Proctor ribs.

While the build plans (and they are plans - they look like a downsized version of Anthony Fokker’s blueprints) are extremely detailed, and the assembly notes are as thick as a small-town phonebook, they were remarkably lacking about the process for cutting & installing the upper & lower triangular side gussets between the firewall and the cockpit. I got one side done, and the fuselage stick-built, before our son made his appearance.

I think I thought that they’d be on a die-cut sheet but couldn’t find one in the box, so I hand-cut them. I’m still a little annoyed at that, thirty years on. Kit was like $350 in 1992.

I think that there is something that I do have to steam…have to go back & look

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Aug 6, 2023

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

gotta respect a "kit" that's just plans. this sounds like the balsa and dope equivalent of a kozo locomotive or something

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

OMGVBFLOL posted:

gotta respect a "kit" that's just plans. this sounds like the balsa and dope equivalent of a kozo locomotive or something

Wooden model shipbuilding does that too; part of the hobby is sourcing and shaping the wood to the plans, building construction jigs and other custom tooling, etc. That's several steps beyond where it stops being fun for me but the people who do it make some great looking stuff when they're all done.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Apparently the pilot in this case is my girlfriend’s friend’s flight instructor, and the plane is the one that he’s been getting instruction in, and he’s a bit freaked out about the whole thing:

https://wsvn.com/news/local/broward/2nd-victim-dies-in-cessna-crash-at-north-perry-airport-amid-faa-ntsb-probe/

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Phanatic posted:

Apparently the pilot in this case is my girlfriend’s friend’s flight instructor, and the plane is the one that he’s been getting instruction in, and he’s a bit freaked out about the whole thing:

https://wsvn.com/news/local/broward/2nd-victim-dies-in-cessna-crash-at-north-perry-airport-amid-faa-ntsb-probe/

Man every 6 months I think to myself: time to treat myself, finally take flying lessons. Within 1 month of that some GA crash will happen to someone I know or on on these dead gay forums and I figure....people I know are put at significant risk and my wife hates this idea, better not risk it.

Anyway she thanks you for your 6 month set back. Maybe I'll finally get a HOTAS.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Serious question: Is this movie actually aeronautical sillier than snakes on a plane?

Cause I think I've seen the first two airport movies, and they were silly, but were at least concevibly physically possible

Also: Skyjacked (1972) is pretty good for aviation nerds. Opening credits sequence is, I think, how a 707 actually took off. It's interesting how the camera shuns coach (lol) to stick with the first class passengers. You also get to see the kinda mindblowing first class lounge at the front of the airplane.

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Aug 7, 2023

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

https://twitter.com/kcalnews/status/1688389153879105536

sounds like a news copter had a mid air with a ff helo :(

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Don't they NOTAM wildfires there?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

They certainly do and they usually put up a TFR as well.

Wouldn't be the first time a news chopper did something stupid to try and get a better picture or whatever, though.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

CarForumPoster posted:

Man every 6 months I think to myself: time to treat myself, finally take flying lessons. Within 1 month of that some GA crash will happen to someone I know or on on these dead gay forums and I figure....people I know are put at significant risk and my wife hates this idea, better not risk it.

Anyway she thanks you for your 6 month set back. Maybe I'll finally get a HOTAS.

this is me, kinda. sticking to motorcycles for now

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

CarForumPoster posted:

A friend of mine has completed his PPL and is doing some timebuilding for some other certification now. I've been on a few uneventful flights with him but even with a still pretty small number of flight hours he's had some incidents that I'd rather never ever experience.

Least code-brown one is the prop making contact with tow bar on the ground, no danger but :homebrew: with insurance. He's had electrical failure including the radios somehow, and just recently a loss of oil pressure in flight. He had to abort the flight and land immediately. The school flew out a mechanic who eventually concluded that it was just a faulty sensor, but I would've absolutely poo poo myself I think. Especially if it would've happened a bit later when farther away from an airfield.

I know statistically it's not crazy dangerous, like not worse than motorcycles but I think I'd want to start with some more modern maybe electric planes that won't let you kill yourself. Like a $100 RC plane can fly itself just fine, I'm sure we can do better than "lol you're on your own in this 60 year-old rust bucket"

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Spaced God posted:

https://twitter.com/kcalnews/status/1688389153879105536

sounds like a news copter had a mid air with a ff helo :(

It was a firefighting helo and a skycrane...which doesn't sound like a news helo.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

How dare you diss one of my favorite movies from when I was seven years old :mad:

BTW it’s on Netflix if you want some :laffo:s and to see actual Navy hardware and personnel doing SAR and salvage stuff

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Godholio posted:

It was a firefighting helo and a skycrane...which doesn't sound like a news helo.

not unless the entire studio building was going on location

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Hope my plane hand wringing isn’t too annoying for the thread…

mobby_6kl posted:

Least code-brown one is the prop making contact with tow bar on the ground, no danger but :homebrew: with insurance. He's had electrical failure including the radios somehow, and just recently a loss of oil pressure in flight.

Yea this is the sorta thing where I know “it just becomes a glider”

But when I worked in airplane manufacturing…
-I saw how well new build $xxxM aircraft are put together which to me is the standard of “how it should be done”
-saw stuff fail testing well long into it but still within service life
-I was friends with some engineers from a GA manufacturer that rhymes with hyper who regaled me with stories of their funding troubled decisions. It wasn’t good compared to what we did.
-saw pre-rebuild 1960s era mil jets being refurbished and oh god the unshielded hodge wiring jobs

It made me think jeeze the A&P mechanics who are making due with a fleet of old 172s flown by student pilots near a beach…not exactly low risk. And yea I know there are stress engineers that evaluate crack repairs and provide instructions but boy that’s costly.

Also dyk that paint thickness makes an absolutely MASSIVE difference to damage of composite panels in lightning strikes? Like exponential increase in delamination/burn area with each .001” extra paint over a certain amount. Do the people doing repairs know that? Similar fact with bonding which can be great at the factory but as stuff vibrates and corrodes the bonded surface area can go down and now lightning can cause way more damage.

Electrical failures in particular freak me out because of the weird states and decision fatigue that can occur due to intermittent problems.

Anyway planes and physics are cool I should buy a HOTAS.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Aug 7, 2023

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Having hosed up a number of landings in training with side-loading and landing flat, I can say 172s are pretty sturdy aircraft.

I'm still just a student pilot, but I accept that most mechanical things can fail at some point, that's why we have checklists and should be regularly training on emergency responses/troubleshooting. Also, who's to say that brand new million dollar+ Cirrus doesn't have build issues or faulty parts out the door? Airplanes can be lemons just like any vehicle.

If a pilot is flying close enough to thunderstorms to be hit by lighting, they've got bigger problems than worrying about the thickness of the plane's paint job. :(

I suppose if you really want, maybe do a deeper dive into the flight school you'd want to use. Ask to look over the maintenance logbook for the plane(s) you'd be flying, ask where they get maintained, maybe talk to those A&Ps.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

CarForumPoster posted:

The vast majority of GA fatalities are pilot error: oops ran out of gas, oops turned off the gas by accident, or oops stall spin on final, or oops flew into a mountain/storm/cloud. Not that it's not a risky activity, but a very big chunk of that risk can be mitigated.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

The vast majority of GA fatalities are pilot error: oops ran out of gas, oops turned off the gas by accident, or oops stall spin on final, or oops flew into a mountain/storm/cloud. Not that it's not a risky activity, but a very big chunk of that risk can be mitigated.

It'd be pretty bold of me to assume I couldn't gently caress up the way those people do :v:

https://i.imgur.com/mPPPCeo.mp4

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

CarForumPoster posted:

But when I worked in airplane manufacturing…

You saw how the sausage is made. Working in manufacturing and especially quailty will paint you a picture that doesn't match reality.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

It'd be pretty bold of me to assume I couldn't gently caress up the way those people do :v:

https://i.imgur.com/mPPPCeo.mp4

:3: look at the Labrador

…wait a second

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Salami Surgeon posted:

You saw how the sausage is made. Working in manufacturing and especially quailty will paint you a picture that doesn't match reality.

This explains an old college roommate. His relatives worked at the local Ford plant where he grew up and the entire family owned GM cars because of what they saw at the plant.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Full Collapse posted:

This explains an old college roommate. His relatives worked at the local Ford plant where he grew up and the entire family owned GM cars because of what they saw at the plant.

The parking lot picture from saab's wiki article. 80%ish. Fun game

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

I just snagged this at a huge discount from a friend of mine (Brickmania, not COBI)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

hobbesmaster posted:

:3: look at the Labrador

…wait a second

It's just a guy in a bear suit.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

pbpancho posted:

I just snagged this at a huge discount from a friend of mine (Brickmania, not COBI)

:flashfap:

A bit rich for my blood but holy poo poo I want it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

CarForumPoster posted:

If it helps, there's like maybe 5% sheer bad luck when it comes to fatal accidents. There was one out of my home airport the other week. Dude took off in extremely marginal conditions with an airplane loaded to the tits (possibly overweight, we don't know, but it seems at least possible), near dusk, for a flight through the mountains. Crashed one ridge in, took five people with him.

Realistically, the extremely good safety record of commercial aviation has very little to do with the quality of aircraft or maintenance versus GA, and everything to do with the quality of the systems designed to save pilots from themselves. If every GA pilot did rigorous, recurrent training with a diligent instructor every six months, and followed well-designed policies including limitations specific to the aircraft being flown and their own experience level, at all times, you could vastly, vastly reduce the number of accidents, and especially the number of fatal accidents.

Here's the cool thing: you can set your own standards for yourself. You should set your own standards for yourself. The laws and regulations, as they pertain to GA, don't give a gently caress about your safety. They allow you to do stupid, stupid poo poo, for the most part, provided it doesn't put many people at risk. A lot of them basically say "you are allowed to gamble with your life and the lives of your passengers, because we don't care, honestly, what happens to you and we're sick of the bitching that happens when we try to improve safety through regulation."

A great example of this issue is some proposed amendments to regulations in Canada: https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/2/NPA-APM/doc.aspx?id=12471

Basically, Transport Canada said, "hey we notice a lot of you idiots are dying at night because you're doing dumb poo poo, we're going to try to fix the laws to save a few of your lives." The reaction has been poor, because people want to maintain their right to continue doing dangerous poo poo without adequate training. That's the GA attitude! The regulatory body suggests "hmmm.... flying at night with no lighting from stars or the moon, in an area with no lights, is qualitatively different than flying on a clear night with a full moon over a city, perhaps the laws should reflect that," and a bunch of people say "NO! We demand the right to JFK Jr. ourselves into the loving grave." The regulatory body says "perhaps instructors who teach night ratings, should have sufficient training to ensure they know how to do it," and flight schools say "but our precious, precious profit margins!"

Now, there are still people who draw the short straw and die because of bad luck and bad luck alone. It sucks and it's no different from, say, dying of cancer except it happens much more suddenly. No one makes it out of this life alive.

Humphreys
Jan 26, 2013

We conceived a way to use my mother as a porn mule

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

Reasons why the fly car will never eventuate. The average driver cannot manage two axis.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Humphreys posted:

Reasons why the fly car will never eventuate. The average driver cannot manage two axis.

Oh god that typo gave me horrifying images.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Godholio posted:

They were both involved in firefighting operations of different roles....

The article posted:

A Bell helicopter flown by a contract pilot with a California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (Cal Fire) division chief and a Cal Fire air captain on board was in an observer-coordinator role when it collided with a Sikorsky Skycrane helicopter while battling the brush fire, according to the Riverside County Sheriff's Dept. All three men on the Bell helicopter died. Two people on the Sikorsky, which landed safely, were uninjured.

The Sikorsky is believed to have been dropping water or fire retardant during the brush fire response. Fixed-wing aircraft were also part of the firefighting effort.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
The thought that most accidents in general aviation are the result of avoidable carelessness is only somewhat comforting to me. I can be careless at times as well. I think I'm pretty good at following procedures assiduously and being cautious in high stakes situations, but I bet a lot of the guys who died in base to final spins thought that too.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I always stress to trainees starting on low altitude sectors that GA pilots are absolutely trying to kill themselves at all times. Get there itis is very much a thing and they will fly into things they absolutely shouldn't even after you straight up tell them that they should not do x and they need to go land at this nearby airport until the thunderstorm line that stretches for 200 miles to their north and south passes through. I've submitted a controller for an award after they busted their rear end to get a pilot that was icing up to a good altitude with multiple landing options nearby while that pilot decided to continue on through 100+ more miles of precipitation because "they were below the freezing level and good now".

It's always a good feeling when you're able to convince them to do something other than kill themselves but it seems to be a rarity when that happens. And it very much turns into the thing where it reinforces the behavior because it turned out fine the last time.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

fknlo posted:

Get there itis is very much a thing and they will fly into things they absolutely shouldn't even after you straight up tell them that they should not do x and they need to go land at this nearby airport until the thunderstorm line that stretches for 200 miles to their north and south passes through. I've submitted a controller for an award after they busted their rear end to get a pilot that was icing up to a good altitude with multiple landing options nearby while that pilot decided to continue on through 100+ more miles of precipitation because "they were below the freezing level and good now".

For every GA pilot that insists on plowing through a line of thunderstorms, how many do you think get a weather briefing and decide "nah, I'll wait"?

Good on that controller. Did they get the award?

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Aug 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

fknlo posted:

And it very much turns into the thing where it reinforces the behavior because it turned out fine the last time.

Normalization of deviance is such an awful thing.