Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Very odd video. At 1:30 you can see the orc skin on the fighter, when he takes his helmet off. And all of them, the fighter and ranger included, have different instruments. They have a really cool fight with a demon at like halfway through, where a fighter blocks a doorway, dodges a ton of attacks while the ranger just pelts it with arrows. There is a new boss fight that seems almost scripted. The boss says something about "your soul" when the fight starts and pulls a blue light out of a dead body on the ground. Then some other stuff happens and green lights are pulled into lanterns hanging above it.

Seemed like the game was running better as well, and we see way more buffs then we have before. Apparently something is happening in court this week, so we'll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYhd3YkDZqI

NEW VIDEO

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq8JLJcdvzs

NEW SHORT VIDEO

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
👀👀👀

Demon Of The Fall fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Aug 7, 2023

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The believers shall be rewarded.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/3zDAJz6wFpw

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
That's a bit mental. If you'd asked me what the strangest thing to happen this week would be, Dark and Darker releasing would be up there.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
I don't think it's going to release right now. I think they've slowly been hinting and hyping EA and this is going to be the announcement for a date, likely some weeks off to at least get past the US case being dismissed(or so they hope) and injunctions in KR, but we'll see, maybe they're that nuts.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
Okay, I was wrong, someone interviewed the CEO and he said it's launching today I guess..? What the gently caress lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYqVlLS5wBA

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Akumos posted:

Okay, I was wrong, someone interviewed the CEO and he said it's launching today I guess..? What the gently caress lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIyibFd6WaA

Orv
May 4, 2011
Dumbest motherfuckers alive, god speed

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
un-loving-believable lol. good for them

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://www.chafgames.com/games/dark-and-darker

not avail yet, but discord is going INSANE

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

So what's the deal with this game's legal status? Was the lawsuit bullshit? Are they going to be in danger of still having their game randomly pulled and development stopped at any point? It makes me pretty wary of putting down any money to play this tbh.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
lawsuit is still going on

legally? Can't be on steam right now without some questionable decisions

will it come back? Who knows!

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission 🙏

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
It's apparently gonna be up at 3:30PM EST. If it's not, then about 60,000 viewers are gonna be wrong. Its got some big streamers queued up and waiting. I honestly did not see this coming today.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Graysun just changed his status to ready up. I'm like 99% sure this is actually about to happen.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

it would a comedic situation if they need the income from an early access release to fund legal fees against criminal charges

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I probably wouldn't expect to play today, just a heads up. Even if it does release, it's on a new client, getting swarmed, etc. If it does actually go on sale, it's gonna get slammed and there is no way they were prepared for this many gamers pouncing on it immediately. I'm aiming to play it Wednesday.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://www.pcgamer.com/dark-and-darker-early-access-release/

quote:

The demo for PvP extraction dungeon crawler Dark and Darker was a hit earlier this year, but then Nexon alleged copyright infringement, it got booted off Steam, and its early access release was pushed back. Developer Ironmace persisted, going so far as to distribute a playtest by torrent, and Ironmace CEO Terence Park has now confirmed to PC Gamer that Dark and Darker will release in early access today.

"Yes, the Early Access release date is today, August 7, 2023," Park said in an email.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

I haven't had a chance to try this yet, so my biggest question is: how is the game structured in terms of content storage and servers? If they get ordered to cease and desist after having put up a functioning build, is the game effectively going to vaporize or will there still be user-hosted servers for it to exist on?

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
It's official servers but there are private ones too. The game is currently under a lawsuit here in the US and in Korea. If they don't win in the US, the game will just go poof. Same thing would happen in Korea. I'd say that things must be looking pretty good for them to go ahead and launch or this is just some kinda money grab. I'm more inclined to believe things are looking good for them and they decided to just go all in.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
IM recently replied in their court filings and proved that a claim from Nexon in their filing was incorrect about where a certain mummy model came from, so yeah I think they are feeling confident

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

ShowTime posted:

It's official servers but there are private ones too. The game is currently under a lawsuit here in the US and in Korea. If they don't win in the US, the game will just go poof. Same thing would happen in Korea. I'd say that things must be looking pretty good for them to go ahead and launch or this is just some kinda money grab. I'm more inclined to believe things are looking good for them and they decided to just go all in.

I'd pay $35 to play for a week

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
No matter how confident they are, I'm not really sure what they're thinking. Trying to release in the middle of a lawsuit just seems like the dumbest idea no matter how good they think their case is.

It just seems like they're deciding they don't care since a digital distributor is willing to help them distribute the game. Chaf Games, who seem to be uhh.... Mostly distributors of shovel-ware games?

The storefront doesn't seem to actually work, though. You can make an account, but when I tried to purchase a game, the system to actually put in your purchasing details is uhh, non-functional. I just got a bunch of placeholder text instead of buttons. It seems to also be a subscription service, which I guess makes sense as 90% of the games on it seem to be F2P garbage games.

Also, "This membership does not include Dark and Darker yet."

I think it kind of shows that their position really isn't as good as they are pretending it to be if the only place they can get to distribute their game officially is a sketchy-rear end place I wouldn't trust to actually have permission to distribute half the games it's distributing.

EDIT: Looking into it, the only way I can see to actually add your deets is for buying Chaf Cash, which only lets you buy in set increments, and increments that mean that you won't be actually paying 35 dollars for D&D, but 39 dollars, which is some real poo poo. The game's no longer F2P, 35 base, 50 dollars for PTR access, Skeleton race, and a new torch skin.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 7, 2023

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
It's up. Go have fun nerds.

The Dark and Darker Early Access has finally begun! It has been a long and arduous journey, but we have finally made it to our first major milestone. We would like to thank all our fans who believed in us and supported us through the many challenges.
Through many trials and tribulations, we have toiled ceaselessly to bring the game to our fans. We are happy to announce that fans can now access Dark and Darker through multiple avenues.

Partnership
We have partnered with the wonderful folks at Chaf Games to make Dark and Darker available on their streamlined Chafgames platform. If you are interested in a platform with access to a large library of indie hits, please check them out! They also want us to note that ChafCash is only used to purchase in-game items. You do NOT need any ChafCash to purchase the Dark and Darker Bundle. Thus, please visit Chafgames to purchase Dark and Darker directly.

We have also worked hard on building our own platform, known as Blacksmith to directly service the game to our fans. Fans who wish to use Blacksmith to access Dark and Darker can purchase the game through our website at https://www.darkanddarker.com

Korean Game Support
Unfortunately, we encountered some challenges that couldn’t be overcome in time for the Early Access launch. As much as it pains us, we won’t be able to service the game in Korea because we are still awaiting a rating from the Korean Game Rating Board (GRAC). We will do everything we can to expedite this process as we have already been granted ratings from other globally recognized game rating boards, including the ESRB, PEGI, and CERO. We will officially support and service the game in Korea as soon as we can overcome this hurdle.

In-game VoIP
The in-game VoIP feature will also be temporarily unavailable at the start of Early Access. Our legal team wants to make sure all our agreements are absolutely perfect, especially when it comes to dealing with user data and third-party partners. We’ll let the lawyers do their mystical work, and once we get the proper agreements verified, everyone will be screaming through the Goblin Caves in no time.

In-game Shop
We want to address the elephant in the room and talk about the addition of the in-game shop. Our assumption when we started this company was that you could still build a lucrative business while being true to your fans. The in-game shop is our attempt at being realistic with the business of running an online game but trying to find a way to do it without resorting to random loot boxes and FOMO items. We want to offer players a fair way to support us while enjoying the game. Please let us know how you think we’re doing on this front. In addition to the in-game shop we’ve added a founder’s edition/add-on pack to show our appreciation to the loyal fans who’ve stuck with us through this crazy journey available through the platform you purchase the game.

A Work in Progress
Finally, we want to be very upfront and let users know that there will be many growing pains during the Early Access phase. Many key features are still missing and will be added in the upcoming months. We’ll be experimenting with the leaderboard system, and we’ll do our best to be transparent about the ranking schedules so players don’t get too stressed out. Just like our game, our launcher was built from the ground up, and they are both still a work in progress. Although we’ve been putting both the game and launcher through their paces internally, we know that there are bugs that may have slipped through the cracks. We ask for your patience and understanding as we do our best to respond and resolve these issues. Most importantly, we want to say thanks to all our fans around the globe, we couldn’t have done it without you!

See you in the dungeons!
IRONMACE

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Good luck getting through the registration and stuff, the manual ddos is real.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Yea it's gonna be a long night trying to play, but at least it's kind of released. It's got 70k viewers in Twitch already and 0 people are actually playing.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Try and go with the darkanddarker.com website. Seeing most success there.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
If you absolutely must give money to Ironmace, do it directly rather than through one of the sketchiest game distributors I've ever seen.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

chaf games's website is filled with copy/pastedi nformation including

quote:

To provide our Services in a reliable and responsible manner, Chaf processes and stores key Personal Data on secure servers located in Japan where Chaf is located. There may be cases where the data protection level in Japan falls short of the data protection level required under laws in your country or region. In such a case, we will take measures so that Personal Data is lawfully transferred to our server in Japan pursuant to Applicable Laws. As of January 23, 2019, the European Commission has determined that Japan has secured sufficient protection standards regarding Personal Data.

i do not think this is a japanese company???

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Made an account, installed the launcher, but the site's still getting hammered so while the page loads pricing doesn't.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

ShowTime posted:

Right now, the game is currently in beta with a release scheduled for late 2023. Created by a new studio based out of Korea, Ironmace Games is made of a small group of experienced game developers who decided they wanted to make the games they wanted to make, rather than just what they were being paid to make. During the first beta, the game had about 1,000 players. They loved it and the excitement for the next one gathered so much interest, the next beta had over 15,000 con-current players. Excitement continued to grow and by the third beta, over 30,000 players were playing at any given time. Even some of the biggest streamers in the world were beginning to gather interest and play, which only continued to increase excitement.

FYI the OP repeats the same paragraph almost verbatim, mentioning the number of players in each beta, twice.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Yea i'm slowly editing it in between the other things i got going on. I did NOT expect this game to come out today and have a bunch of editing to do. If you told me yesterday that Dark and Darker was releasing today I would have laughed in your face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

80k watching people try to buy a game.